There were fireworks.

meanwhile, in korea... | a collection

haebinmblaq33.jpgT-Ara40.pngZuBHnSG.png

Something special was happening at Park Jiyeon's house that night.

Hundreds of her beloved family members and her closest friends gathered there, laughing, chatting, and having fun. Balloons floated away in the air, and hands holding up sparklers brighted up the night. Festive and lively music was playing out the windows and people danced along like there was no tomorrow. Guests arrived with gifts, food, smiles, and while looking their best for the party.

It was her birthday.

So why was the bithday girl herself looking out at the sky, alone at her balcony, instead of downstairs? Even Jiyeon didn't know for sure.

She glanced down at all of her friends having fun, and sighed. Why wasn't she having fun? After all, she was turning eighteen. An eighteenth birthday was kind of a big deal. Maybe she just wasn't in the mood for celebrating. Maybe...she just needed some time alone.

Only, Jiyeon realized that she wasn't alone when she heard the click-clack of someone's footsteps.

"Jiyeon?" They called out.

She turned her head back, and felt her heart suddenly beat faster and harder than it ever did before. It was a guy - the guy she had the biggest, most massive crush on.

"J-Joon?" She stuttered. "What are you doing here? I thought you weren't going to be able to make it."

"I was able to squeeze in one, maybe two hours of your party. How could you think I would miss your birthday?" 

His reply made a goofy grin appear on her face, while her heart pumped so hard she swore she could hear it. All she could say was a simple thanks.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Joon walked over close to Jiyeon's side, right next to her. "Shouldn't you be downstairs?"

She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "I know, I just...don't think I feel like partying. I regret deciding to throw a big party like this. Now I know it's not what I wanted."

"Then what do you want?"

"Just some of my closest friends together, eating pizza and cake, maybe dance to some good music. Then at night, we could all maybe ride around the neighborhood on bikes and scooters for a while. Doing simple things like those are always fun and memorable."

"Hm. Usually, normal eighteen-year-olds don't do that at their birthday parties."

"Since when was I a normal girl?"

That made Joon put on a cheeky smile, and butterflies appeared in Jiyeon's stomach from looking at it.

"You know," he said, "it's actually really nice up here."

"Isn't it? From up here, there's such a beautiful view."

Joon turned his head to look at Jiyeon. "It sure is."

And oh so secretly, his hand managed to slip into hers, and she gasped.

 

<.>

 

"Do you know where Dongwoo is?"

"No, sorry."

"I haven't seen him."

"I think he's outside."

The teenage girl made her way out the front door and through the large crowd of guests mingling on the driveway. There, she found Dongwoo by himself on the other side of the road, and to her surprise, he seemed to be sitting down on the ground and setting up a small row of six rockets. That concerned her for a second, but then she remembered what Dongwoo tried to do for her birthday - he had promised a private performance by Lady Gaga right at her very house, but she instead had a 50-year-old stripper appear. Immediately, she shook that horrible memory right out of her head.

Slowly walking up to Dongwoo with a glare, she asked him, "What are you doing?"

He raised his head up from the rockets and grinned when he saw who it was. "Hayi! Long time, no see, eh?" He exclaimed. "How are you today?"

"What are you doing?" Hayi repeated a bit more harshly.

"Oh, I'm setting up a fireworks display for the party. It's going to be really cool, but don't tell anyone about this because it's a surprise for Jiyeon. She's going to love this!"

"What do you mean, keep it a surprise? I could see you setting this up all the way across the street!" Hayi replied, pointing at the house. "I'm pretty sure all those people in front of the party can see you too."

"Oh, whatever. Jiyeon's still going to love this."

Hayi walked over to Dongwoo and crouched down to the ground next to him. She looked at the rockets, then up at the dark starry sky, then back at the rockets.

"Dongwoo, don't you think that this angle is a bit too low? It could hit the house." Hayi mentioned. "And do you know if it's even legal to shoot fireworks in this neighborhood?"

"My god, what are you, my mom?" Dongwoo remarked. "Why do you keep asking so many questions?"

"Have you even set up fireworks before?"

"Another question."

"Well, you're not answering any of them!"

With a deep sigh, Dongwoo answered, "Ok, maybe I haven't set up a fireworks display before tonight, but I got all of this under control. Besides, how hard could it be to light up six rockets?"

Hayi gave him a worried look, and then pulled out her cell phone and started dialing a phone number.

"Who are you calling?"

"The fire department."

Now Dongwoo let out a groan, and closed her phone shut. "Hayi, don't worry so much. I know what I'm doing here. In fact, I think I'm going to light up a rocket right now."

He took out a pack of matches from his jeans pocket, and Hayi's eyes widened to the size of the moon. Dongwoo was actually being serious.

"You're going to light one up right now?" She questioned.

"Why not? The rockets are all ready to shoot, everyone's arrived at the party, and it's dark enough outside. I think it's the perfect time to light them!"

Hayi covered her ears as Dongwoo struck a match and ignited the fuse of a rocket on the far left. As soon as it was done burning, the rocket shot up into the air with a deafening screech, and instead of exploding in the sky into a variety of bright, beautiful colors, it crashed into Jiyeon's bedroom balcony with a huge explosion. Hayi's jaw dropped to the ground and Dongwoo's confident smile disappeared as screams echoed, debris collapsed to the ground, and a fire took over Jiyeon's room and the roof of her house.

"...Whoops." Dongwoo muttered.

It was Hayi's turn to sigh now as she opened her cell phone again. "I'm calling the fire department."

 

<.>

 

A bright white greeted Jiyeon's eyes as her eyes fluttered open, and the smell of plastic reached her nose. As soon as she awakened, she started coughing hard, and it hurt when it did. Her vision was blurry and her hearing was unclear, but they both soon focused. Jiyeon found herself lying on a hospital bed, as a doctor was looking down at her poor, injured face. There was an oxygen mask wrapped above her nose and mouth, and she could hear a heart monitor obnoxiously beeping right beside her.

Beep...beep...beep...beep.

Heart monitors had always annoyed Jiyeon.

"Miss Park? Miss Park, can you hear me?" The doctor asked her, and she nodded yes.

With another cough, she asked back, "W-What happened? Why am I in the hospital? And why does my entire body ache so much?"

The doctor did a sharp inhale, and Jiyeon knew that was never a good sign. "Well, Miss Park, your body is suffering from multiple third-degree burns all around and broken bones in your legs and one of your arms." He replied with a blank tone.

She was devastated. "What? How?"

"I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that, miss. I'm sorry."

Just then, Dongwoo stepped into the room with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. The two of them did not have the closest relationship, but Jiyeon could not be more relieved to see one of her friends visit her.

"Morning, Jiyeon!" He greeted. "I see you're awake. I got some of your favorite flowers for you, red roses."

"My favorite flowers are daisies," she softly told.

"Well, I got you roses instead, so enjoy."

He walked over to her and gently set down the flowers on her bedside counter. Jiyeon wanted to scoff at him, but she coughed again instead.

"Dongwoo," she mumbled, "do you know how I got so many injuries? Because all I remember is that I was standing on my balcony during my birthday party, then something big crashed into it, and everything's just black from that point."

Dongwoo didn't say anything for a second. "Uh, y-yes."

"Really?"

"But when I tell you, promise me that you won't get upset at me. Please?"

Jiyeon raised an eyebrow. "Why would I get upset?"

He took in a big breath. "I...might have accidentally shot a firework rocket into your balcony while you were on it."

Now the word 'devastated' was too weak a word to describe what Jiyeon was feeling.

"And your bedroom plus the entire upper floor of your house might have been destroyed in a fire."

Jiyeon let out a little squeak, shocked from the news that Dongwoo had just given her. But then suddenly-

Beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep!

"Joon!" She gasped.

"Oh, him? He'll be fine, don't worry. Of course, he's suffering from the same injuries that you are." He replied.

Jiyeon couldn't think of any words to say anymore - she was too grief-stricken to be able to do that. Instead, she managed to cough violently once again as Dongwoo awkwardly stood next to her bed. He regretted having to tell her the truth after seeing her become so sad about it, but what was he supposed to do? Lie? To one of his dear friends, and while they were being hospitalized? No, that would just be disrespectful, he thought. But then again, so was setting her house on fire.

When Jiyeon was finished, she raspily whispered, "Come closer."

Dongwoo leaned in closer to her, just like she asked.

"Closer."

He leaned in closer than before.

"Closer."

He lowered his body down even further, and now their faces were at an uncomfortably close distance from each other.

"When I get out of here, I am soooo going to get you." Jiyeon threatened.

Dongwoo gulped.

_______________________________________________________________________________


Hey readers!

Sorry it's been such a long time since I posted something on here. School was taking over my life and I didn't really write a lot during that time period. But now school's out, and my writing gears are up and running again. There are two more chapters in progress, so stay tuned for those! :)

As for this chapter, do you guys remember that Christmas special in Chapter 15 that was supposed to be the beginning of a big Christmas-themed story or whatever? This was supposed to be the end of that story. I just changed Jaejoong's Christmas party into Jiyeon's birthday party. I'm not sure if I liked how the product came out though, so let me know if you liked it or not.

If you just survived through the agonizing boredom that I'm passing off as an author's note, give yourself a pat on the back.

Happy reading!