New Encounters, New Hope

Two Hearts Beating As One
Please log in to read the full chapter

Joohyun started to lose consciousness; she felt a wave of panic wash over her. She was in a strange place, surrounded by strangers, and she didn't know what was happening to her. But then she felt a hand on her shoulder, and she turned to see a girl with a friendly smile looking down at her.

"Are you okay?" the girl asked in Korean, and Joohyun nodded weakly. "You don't look so good," the girl continued. "Do you need help?"

Joohyun was grateful for the offer, but she wasn't sure what to say. She didn't know this girl, and she didn't want to be a burden on her.

"I'm okay, I think," Joohyun said, trying to sound more confident than she felt. "I just need to sit down for a minute."

The girl nodded understandingly and helped Joohyun to a nearby bench. Joohyun sat down heavily, feeling dizzy and disoriented.

"Thank you," she said to the girl. "I don't know what happened to me. I just suddenly felt really dizzy and weak."

The girl looked concerned. "That doesn't sound good. Do you need to go to the hospital?"

Joohyun shook her head. "No, I don't think it's that serious. I just need to rest for a little while."

The former nodded again. "Okay, well, if you need anything, let me know. I'm just here on vacation, so I have plenty of time."

Joohyun was touched by the girl's kindness. She didn't know a lot of people in this city, and it was reassuring to have someone looking out for her.

"Thank you," she said again, feeling a bit more at ease now that she had someone to talk to.

"You're welcome. I'm Jennie by the way," Jennie finally introduced herself to Joohyun.

~*~

Over the next few hours, Joohyun and Jennie chatted and got to know each other better. Joohyun learned that Jennie was a Korean student studying abroad in New Zealand and that she was visiting Korea for her summer break.

"I've always wanted to see more of my own country," Jennie explained. "And I thought this would be a good time to do it."

Joohyun could relate. She had grown up in Korea, but she had spent so much time focused on her training that she had never really explored the country.

"It's funny how we can be from a place but not really know it," Joohyun mused. "I feel like I've missed out on so much."

Jennie nodded in agreement. "That's why I wanted to take this trip. I wanted to see more of Korea and learn more about my own culture."

Joohyun was impressed by Jennie's adventurous spirit. She herself had always been focused on her training, but she was starting to realize that there was more to life than just work.

~*~

Joohyun started to feel better. Her dizziness had passed, and she was feeling more like herself again. She was grateful for Jennie's company, and she felt like she had made a new friend.

"Thanks for everything," Joohyun said to Jennie as they parted ways. "I don't know what I would have done without you."

Jennie smiled. "No problem. I'm just glad I could help. And who knows, maybe we'll run into each other again sometime."

Joohyun smiled back. She decided to take a chance and gave Jennie her number. "It was really nice meeting you, Jennie. I hope we can keep in touch."

Jennie nodded excitedly. "Definitely! I'll text you soon. But before that, can you help me find somewhere to eat around here? I'm actually starving," Jennie pleaded.

Joohyun thought for a moment and suggested a nearby fried chicken place that she frequents with Seulgi. "It's just a few blocks away from here," she added, "and the chicken there is really good." Je

Please log in to read the full chapter