Chapter 12

Yes, Miss President?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

GRAMMATICAL ERRORS AHEAD!!

 

Karina’s POV

 

“Come on, baby.” I said to Winter. 

 

I really don’t know why I called her by that affectionate term. She simply stood there, in the same spot, appearing to contemplate my use of that term.

 

I believe it’s high time she knew who I truly am. I mean, she recognizes me as her Miss President here at I.S.M University, but she doesn’t truly know me. She doesn’t even call me by my real name or know my second name. I think today is the right day or time, but I’m not sure. I’m feeling scared and nervous simultaneously. 

 

”Okay ka lang?” little did I know, she had silently positioned herself right next to me on the sofa. The worry evident in her expression spoke volumes about her concern for my state of mind. Responding with a nod, I gifted her a heartfelt smile, one that carried a touch of beauty and warmth.

 

Being with her presence is an exquisite experience that fills me with sheer delight.

 

“Let’s, um, eat,” I stuttered, my invitation stumbling out. She was sitting unnervingly close to me now.

 

“Seryoso, okay ka lang, Miss President?” she asked, worry etched in her voice.

 

Here we go again. 

 

She’s always calling me Miss President. It’s like a sharp pang in my ears, especially when it’s her who’s uttering those words. I don’t like being addressed like that. I have a perfectly lovely name, you know.

 

“Yes,” I murmured in response to her, my gaze fixed on the distant horizon

 

I decided to ignore her for now and started eating. I was hungry earlier, so I ordered something to eat. I ended up ordering too much, so I thought of calling Miss Safanzar to join me for a meal.

 

Maybe, let’s say, to spend time with her.

 

I missed her.

 

I couldn’t be with her yesterday because I was also busy. Plus, there was Hyunjin who was really annoying, he wouldn’t leave me alone. I noticed someone about to enter the office yesterday, but I couldn’t see who it was because of Hyunjin. I expected them to come in eventually, but the door was quickly closed.

 

I continued eating, while stealing glances at the woman beside me. She was silently enjoying her meal, not even bothering to look at me. She seemed completely focused on her food, evident from the satisfied expression on her face.

 

I thought she wouldn’t accompany me, but now she seemed to be thoroughly enjoying what she was eating.

 

”Cute,” I whispered, but she suddenly glanced at me. It seemed like I accidentally spoke too loud. I just smiled at her and quickly resumed eating.

 

“Panay ngiti ka sa akin, ha. Ang plastic mo masyado.” I was almost choked by what it said to me.

 

My genuine smile towards her reflects the depths of my emotions, yet why does she interpret it as a facade, branding me as artificial in this very moment?

 

“Continue eating, stop talking.” that’s all I said, and she followed my words, which made me smile.

 

This is exactly why she captivates me. She’s effortlessly easy to talk to. Despite knowing her inner reservations, she still goes ahead and does what you ask of her. Like when she willingly cleaned my office, even though I knew she wasn’t thrilled about it.

 

Sometimes, when she sees me swamped with work, she kindly offers to help, but I always decline. I genuinely don’t want her to clean my office, but it’s also a clever way for us to spend time together and see each other often.

 

Miss Safanzar has held a special place in my heart since eighth grade. We were schoolmates back then, but she’s unaware of my feelings. I used to anxiously search for her during flag ceremonies, hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

 

 

Flashback

 

I hurriedly left home because our flag ceremony is early today. It always takes place on Mondays, and it starts really early. I also forgot that yesterday was Sunday, so here I am now, running late. I got carried away watching a K-drama.

 

I entered the car and immediately asked Manong, our driver, make me hatid sa school. He has been my driver since I was in grade 3. Sa totoo lang, my sister Ate would drive me ngayong araw, but she’s still busy, so it’s Manong nalang.

 

Manong started driving as soon as he got inside the car. I sat quietly, repeatedly checking the time. I really dislike being late because I won’t get to see my crush, Winter.

 

Yes, her name is Winter. A vision of beauty, exuding an ethereal charm. Regrettably, I had never mustered the courage to strike up a conversation with her. Our encounters were limited to fleeting moments during break time and the flag ceremony. She was the one entrusted with leading the national anthem, making it imperative for me to never be tardy for the flag ceremony, as I longed for those cherished moments.

 

Following the ceremony, we would disperse to our respective classrooms. Unfortunately, we had not aligned our schedules, as her classroom was situated far from mine.

 

Manong appeared to have noticed my fixation on the time, prompting him to accelerate our journey. Thankfully, the absence of traffic today allowed for smooth navigation. After a short while, we arrived at our school. Manong promptly disembarked, graciously opening the door for me. Without hesitation, I stepped out, embracing the opportunity that presented itself.

 

I bid farewell to Manong, his countenance adorned with a knowing smile. Once inside the campus, I briskly made my way to the courtyard, the designated venue for the morning’s flag ceremony. A sea of students had already assembled, while the teachers meticulously prepared themselves on the stage, fine-tuning the proceedings.

 

I was looking for my classmates because I can’t just stand in line with unfamiliar students. I quickly spotted Hyunjin, my friend who’s even gayer than me, oh my goodness. I immediately went to where they were. Lia was with him, but Lia didn’t seem to be in a good mood today.

 

“Girl, ang pogi niya talagaa.” I had just arrived, and that’s the first thing I heard from Hyunjin.

 

“It’s still early, Hyunjin.” I said to him.

 

“May time ba ‘yun?” Lia immediately nudged him.

 

Deserve

 

“Grabe ka naman sa akin, siszt.” he muttered.

 

”Can you just be quiet? It’s already noisy with all the students here, and you’re adding to it,” Lia retorted. Why is this girl so furious? It’s still too early.

 

I’ve reached a point where I no longer seek her company, for fear that my presence might irk her once again. Instead, I choose to patiently wait for Winter, the person who brings warmth to my soul. Deep down, I’m aware that she, like the other students, will grace the stage and to conduct the songs we will perform this morning.

 

And I wasn’t wrong. She’s there, but suddenly, my beautiful smile vanished because she’s talking to another guy now. They’re laughing, like they have their own world, while their other companions on stage are just looking at us.

 

I woke up early and hurriedly came here, and this is what I see? It’s a harsh sight for sore eyes.

 

I avert my gaze, choosing not to linger any longer, anticipating the commencement of the flag ceremony

 

I’m not in myself right now. I didn’t even realize that our flag ceremony is almost over. I don’t know, it’s really difficult for me in this situation. I can’t just say that I only have a crush on her because I’m hurting. And I think it’s normal, especially when you really like someone. I mean, why would you get hurt if you didn’t like them?

 

Whatever.

 

I have returned to our classroom. I’m not in myself right now. I really don’t know. I don’t want to admit it to her either. I’m really embarrassed around her. I can only look at her from a distance and I can’t really approach her. Even in the cafeteria, every time we have a break time, whenever I see her, I can only look at her. Even though she’s so close to me, nothing, just looking. I’m always overcome by nervousness, so until now, nothing has happened.

 

Aside from looking at her in person, all I do is stalk her on all her social media accounts. I even thought about creating a different account to confess to her, but from what I’ve noticed, she’s not really into opening her social media accounts. She has them, but she only uses them for display purposes.

 

It’s break time now, and I immediately left our classroom. We have an hour and a half for our break. I headed to the cafeteria where she likes to eat. When I arrived, she was alone. I didn’t fully enter inside. Although it’s wrong, I took out my phone and took a picture of her.

 

“Cute,” I said.

 

I promise that I won’t spread this picture of her, it’s just for my eyes only.

 

 

End of Flashback

 

 

 

Back in the day, she was an absolute bundle of cuteness, and to this day, she’s still as adorable as ever—nothing has changed. I’ve held onto the photos I took of her all those years ago. Perhaps, when the time is right, I’ll reveal it to her, and I’ll apologize for taking it without her permission.

 

For nearly four years, my heart has harbored a clandestine love, cherished and concealed in the depths of my being. Fear has restrained me from confessing, unsure if my sentiments are reciprocated.

 

Even now, I find myself struggling to divulge my feelings to her, despite it being painfully obvious that I’ve fallen for her. I’ve expressed my love in veiled terms, attempting to hide it beneath the surface, but she remains skeptical. I wonder if she’s even aware of my affection, or perhaps she struggles to believe it due to the actions I’ve displayed.

 

I’m endeavoring to make things easier for her, yet fate seems to guide me towards my office, where the act of tidying up allows me the chance to catch a glimpse of her and spend time in her presence. The sheer joy that envelops me when she graces my office with her presence is immeasurable.

 

“Hoy, Miss President!” I was startled by her sudden outburst. It made me realize that she was still with me. I almost forgot, gosh.

 

“Sorry, are you done eating?” I asked.

 

“Kanina pa ako tapos kumain, ikaw lang naman itong hinintay ko.”

 

“I’m sorry, I’m just thinking of something.” I told her.

 

“Halata naman,” she said, handing me the Coke she bought. I remembered what I told her about the ‘one for me, one for love’ that was so embarrassing. 

 

“Thank you,” I said, sabay ngiti sa kanya. 

 

“Huwag ka ngang ngumiti, pinaplastic mo ako masyado, eh.” she said kaya natawa ako nang mahina.

 

Not gonna lie but she’s so cute now. 

 

“Wala ka rin bang pasok ngayon, Miss President?” tanong nito sa akin.

 

I took a sip of Coke before responding to her, “I already had one earlier” I said.

 

She nodded, “Kami kasi wala.” 

 

“This morning?” I asked. 

 

“Oo, hindi ko kasi nabasa ‘yung message ni Ma’am Isacar.” oh.

 

“You should check your phone always.” I told her.

 

Perhaps it’s better that she didn’t read it after all, at least now I got to be with her, right? It’s better that she didn’t read it and I called her only to find out she’s not here on campus. Who else can I have lunch with now? I don’t want to be accompanied by Hyunjin, that guy is annoying. And Lia, well, she has classes during these hours, so she’s not available.

 

“Ayoko nga,” she uttered, her voice dripping with a hint of childlike petulance.

 

“Why?” I inquire, my voice tinged with curiosity. Engaging in conversation with her fills me with an undeniable sense of joy. Despite the flicker of nervousness that dances within me, its origin unknown, the current state of happiness continues to envelop my being.

 

“Iniinis ako ng mga tao thru messages, kaya nakakatamad talaga mag selpon.” I looked at her with curiosity.

 

"Sino naman?" I asked.

 

“Isa ka na nga roon.” I gave her a stern look.

 

“Hindi naman, ah?” I told her.

 

She mocked what I had said, “Top 1 ka nga, eh.” should I be happy because I’m on top?

 

I guess so.

 

“I don’t care,” I said, pretending to dislike what she said.

 

I have finished eating. I told her that I would be the one to clean up, but she didn’t listen to me and ended up cleaning up where we ate. She said she felt embarrassed because I invited her and yet I was the one who cleaned up.

 

Well, for me, it’s fine. As long as I’m with her, I can handle cleaning up. 

 

“Do you have a class this afternoon?” I asked Miss Safanzar. 

 

A subtle nod accompanied her response, “According to my classmate, meron daw.” her voice carried a hint of anticipation

 

“Okay, goodluck.” I said with a smile. 

 

“Ang weird mo talaga, Miss President.” I just laughed at what she said. 

 

“I’m sorry, baby.” I jokingly said. 

 

“Hoay, anong baby baby ka d’yan. Hindi na ako bata para tawagin mong baby.” dang, this kid. 

 

Is she truly cognizant of my affection towards her? Or could it be that she remains unfamiliar with the heartfelt implications concealed within the words I use to address her?

 

“I’ll go ahead. Thank you again for the food, nabusog talaga ako.” she expressed her gratitude sincerely, her words carrying a sense of contentment.

 

“Always welcome,” I said. “Check your phone later, I have something to tell you.” her bewildered gaze met mine, and I relished in the curiosity that danced in her eyes

 

“You can go now.” I told her. 

 

 

Winter’s POV

 

Grabe ang mga pangyayari ngayon. Una, hindi ko alam na wala pala kaming pasok ngayong umaga. Pangalawa, ‘yung lalaking umakbay kay Miss President na hindi ko alam kung bakit naiinis ako sa kanya. Pangatlo, nang tawagin ako ni Miss President na ‘baby’

 

Like, I’m not a child to be called ‘baby,’ you know?

 

Charot.

 

I know what it means. It’s an endearment between lovers, but Miss President and I are not in a romantic relationship, so why did she use that affectionate term on me?

 

Because she loves me? I knew it. But it’s difficult. Sometimes, I can say that she likes me, but her actions towards me seem otherwise.

 

But when I was with her earlier, it seemed like she was really lost in her thoughts. I called her name several times, but she didn’t respond. I hope I was the one on her mind because if it’s someone else, wala akong pake. Tss.

 

Tahimik lang akong nakikinig sa discussion ni Ma’am Isacar ngayon pero wala akong naiintindihan talaga. Buti nalang talaga at hindi na niya ako tinatawag pa. Hindi gaya dati na parang ako lang ‘yung nakikita niya rito sa loob ng classroom namin. Malapit na rin ang oras at matatapos na rin ang klase namin. 

 

“Do you have any questions?” nagulat nalang ako dahil ‘yan na agad ang tanong ni Ma’am.

 

“None so far.” sabay sabay na sabi ng mga kaklase ko.

 

“Okay, get 1 half sheet of paper.” nagulat naman ako sa aking narinig. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang diniscuss ni Ma’am sa harapan dahil nasa kapatid niya ang isip ko. 

 

Labag sa loob ko ang pagkuha ng papel. Hindi ko alam if meron ba akong makukuhang tamang sagot pero bahala na. 

 

“Number 1.” nagsisigawan naman ang iba kong kaklase dahil ‘yung iba wala pang papel tapos ’yung iba naman, hindi pa nakasulat ang pangalan nila. 

 

“Write it down the synonym of futile. Just one, ‘yung alam niyo.” Ma’am Isacar said. 

 

”Number 2.” grabe, sinusulat ko palang ‘yung word, number 2 na agad. 

 

Sobrang hirap ng quiz ngayon. Kahit na hanggang 10 items lang ito, sobrang nahihirapan ako kumpara sa mga long quiz na pinapa-take sa amin ni Ma’am Isacar dati. 

 

Ngayon kasi walang choices tapos ang malala pa, hindi ako nakinig kanina. Siguro hindi ako mahihirapan sa pagsagot ngayon kung nakinig ako kanina, dahil sigurado akong nandoon na ‘yung mga definitions ng words para masagot ko itong sentence completion na pinapasagot sa amin ngayon. 

 

Number seven na kami tapos may mas malala pa pala sa sentence completion, itong analogy. Hindi naman ito mahirap kung merong choices eh pero kasi, wala. Ayaw kong i-hate si Ma’am Isacar pero grabe na ito ha. 

 

“Pass your paper. Miss Safanzar, please collect it.” napatayo naman ako dahil sa aking narinig. Kinuha ko na ang mga papel namin at agad ko na rin ito binigay kay Ma’am.

 

“Thank you,” Ma’am said at binigyan ako ng ngiti. 

 

“Have a nice day, everyone. Class dismissed.” hay, finally. 

 

Nakaka-stress ang araw na ito ha. 

 

Dahil tapos na ang aming klase, isa-isa nang lumabas ang mga kaklase ko. Inaayos ko pa ang aking mga kagamitan ngayon, at pareho rin ang ginagawa ng dalawang kaibigan ko.

 

“Gala tayo ngayon?” patanong na pagyaya sa akin ni Ningning. Matagal-tagal na rin pala kaming hindi nakakapag gala na kaming tatlo lang. 

 

“G ako d’yan.” sang-ayon naman ni Giselle. 

 

Hindi ko alam if makakasama ba ako ngayon. Naalala ko kasi ‘yung message ni Miss President. Sabi niya ichecheck ko raw phone ko kasi meron siyang sasabihin. Hanggang ngayon ay wala pa rin akong natatanggap na message galing sa kanya. 

 

Lumabas na kami at timing naman na nakita ko si Yeji, meron siyang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter