Yellow ~ Daerin

NewJeans story dump
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Danielle is the embodiment of yellow if it were to be a person. Everything about her. Her smile, the things she enjoys–-her personality. There has never been a girl to walk this earth that embodies the color yellow more than Dani. She is happiness. She is my happiness and she doesn’t even know it. 

 

Every Saturday without fail I see her in the flower fields next to my family's farm. I’ve never said anything to her, I’ve just watched. She never touches the flowers, she just admires them from afar—she especially loves the sunflowers. Sometimes she brings her friends and they will laugh and hang out over by the field of flowers and I’ll pretend I’m doing yard work or something just so I can get a glimpse of her bright smile. That’s how I found out her name. One of her friends screamed it and it felt like everything fell into place. A pretty name for a very pretty girl.

 

I wish I could muster up the courage to talk to her. It’s not that I think she’ll be mean to me, that’s not it at all. Even though I don’t know her I can tell she would be nice. I’m just scared that if I do talk to her I would make a fool of myself in front of the pretty girl. I’ve never been good at talking to people and I barely get the chance to anyway since I’m home-schooled and work most of the day. So seeing her even though it’s only once a week brings me an immense amount of happiness. 

 

It was any normal Friday afternoon, most of the work for today has been finished and now I’m just gardening when I heard the voice of the girl who has become an important part of my week. “Hey!” I slowly turned around realizing that she was talking to me. 

 

“Hi.” My response felt a little monotone, but this is how I usually sound. The wavy haired girl didn’t seem to mind that much. She just crouched down right next to me observing what I was doing. What is happening?

 

“You live over on that farm right?” Danielle just asked with a grin as she pointed towards the farm adjacent to the flower field we were both currently at. How does she know that? Has she seen me watching her? God that is so embarrassing. 

 

“Yeah.” I don’t know why, but it feels like my brain is short circuiting with the pretty girl being right next to me. 

 

“I hope you don’t mind my friends and I coming here sometimes. I was going to ask if it was okay, but every time I tried, you disappeared.” She laughed a little bit picking up the clippers I just put down. That is true I always made sure to leave before she could see me, but clearly she saw me anyway.

 

“It doesn’t matter.” Danielle just hums in response while nodding her head. I wonder what she is doing here today instead of Saturday, but I don’t want her to think I’m weird for asking that. 

 

“You don’t talk much do you?” I turned to my side looking at the wavy haired girl and saw her looking at me with a small smile on her face. I feel my heart start to beat two times faster than it already was. 

 

“I guess.” I turned away scared she would see the blush that was most definitely forming on my face. 

 

“Well I think that’s just fine if you don’t. I’m Danielle.” I saw a small hand blocking the tulips that I'm currently getting the weeds out of. I turn towards her again, shaking it before letting it go. I already knew her name, but I couldn’t exactly say that to the girl. 

 

“I’m Haerin.” I could see her nodding her head out of the corner of my eye and then she became silent for a moment as continued to watch me work. 

 

“Did you plant all these flowers by yourself?” I laugh because really that’s a ridiculous question. There is no way I would have been able to single handedly plant the thousands of flowers in this field. 

 

“No, we used a machine.” Danielle made an ‘ah’ sound before she laughed herself.

 

“That would make a lot more sense. If you have machines, then why are you taking out the weeds with your own hands?” I continued taking the weeds out from under the tulips thinking about the girl’s question. I don’t really know why I do it, I just like to.

 

“I like to.” 

 

“Fair enough.” Danielle giggled. She reached into the basket of supplies I brought and put on a pair of gloves that was in there.

 

“What are you doing?” She didn’t respond, she just started copying me and pulled out the weeds. Why is she doing this? Doesn’t she have anything better to do?

 

“You’re going to be here all night if I don’t help you.” Huh? 

 

“You don’t have to.” I furrowed my eyebrows watching the girl next me happily pull the weeds out. Why does she seem so happy to do this?

 

“I want to.” Okay? I just nod, scooting over a little bit to work on another batch of flowers since she was at the one I was at. 

 

We spent the next few hours in a comfortable silence as we weeded the flowers together. It was actually nice to do this with someone. Usually I’m all alone, so her company was—nice. I looked up and saw that the sun was beginning to set. I don’t know where she lives and it’s a long walk before you get to civilization basically.

“That should be good.” I stand up brushing off the dirt that got on my jeans. I looked over at Danielle and she immediately stopped what she was doing and stood up. 

 

“Really? There is still so much left to do?” I smirk at the worried girl. Did she really think we would single-handedly finish this entire field in a couple hours?

 

“It’s getting late, you should go.” As if she realized how dark it was, fell open in a cute way. 

 

“Oh my god I didn’t realize it was this late.” She took off the gloves, placed them back in the basket and walked right over towards me with a small smile on her face. “I’ll see you tomorrow?” She will? “I mean we still have so much left to do so I figured we would pick back up tomorrow.” She still wants to do this? Why?

 

“Okay—see you tomorrow.” Danielle wrapped her arms briefly around me hugging me before she pulled away. I feel stiff as a board watching the girl skip off into the sunset. 

 

-

 

I couldn’t sleep at all last night thinking about the day's events. Never in my life did I think I would be able to talk to her. I couldn’t help but keep going over and over every little interaction we had. I’m not usually like this. I’m usually a pretty laid back person. I don’t worry, but now I feel worried. What if she thinks I’m weird? 

 

With barely any sleep I went back into the flower field around six in the morning. I know she wouldn’t come this early, but I just want to make sure I don’t miss her. It wasn’t till three hours later did the wavy haired girl come. I saw her smiling big as she skipped down the dirt path that led to my family’s farm and flower field. I couldn’t help, but smile as well watching her. She seems so happy all of the time, I wish I was like that too.

 

“Haerin!” She yelled as she got closer to me, still wearing her bright smile. She ran right over towards me holding a paper bag. I can’t help but focus my eyes on the bag.

 

“What’s in the bag?” Danielle seemed confused before the smile returned back to her face reaching the bag out towards me. 

 

“I made cookies last night and put some in here for you.” Oh? I gently took the bag from her hand giving her a small smile.

 

“Thanks.” She plopped down in front of the sunflowers that I was currently working on and put on a pair of gloves.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter