The Chaser

Dirty Little Secret

It was a clear night, brightly lit by a full moon as HoWon checked his phone for messages. He clicked his tongue in a mixture of irritation and disappointment when he found no new messages after he sent a few hundred to a certain female whom he had a very vaguely defined relationship with. Regardless of the status of their relationship, he felt he was at least significant enough that she would be considerate and tell him she was leaving before disappearing off the face of the planet. Granted, the school records officially state that Kim MiHyun’s father was moving to Europe for his next destination and MiHyun had gone off with him.

 

Of course, HoWon didn’t believe that. After all, Kim MiHyun doesn’t even exist let alone her father.

 

His train of thought was broken by his cell phone ringing.

 

“What’s up?”

 

“Your target’s a foreigner with blond hair and blue highlights. Should be easy to find. I’ll send you a picture. Make it quick,” ordered the voice on the other line.

 

“Got it.”

 

 He checked the picture sent over on his phone before making his way to the club. The pounding of the bass against his eardrum didn’t even faze him as he was already accustomed to the whole club atmosphere. His eyes quickly scanned through the dimly lit room for his target. Her blond hair stuck out like a sore thumb. Slowly, he squeezed through the crowd of dancers to her.

 

“Excuse me.”

 

For just a moment, he felt as if the world stopped and there was only him and…her as she seemed to pass by him in slow motion. Her long hair tauntingly flowed behind her, almost hitting his face as she pushed past him in the opposite direction of his target.

 

He stood frozen, torn between completing his mission and chasing after her. Closing his eyes, her smiling face flashed through his mind.

 

Without a second thought, he turned and bolted out of the club.

 

He would apologize to SungKyu later.

 

~

 

“Where did she go?” HoWon mumbled to himself as he checked around the corners. He thought he saw her run in this direction.

 

“Hello, HoWonnie.”

 

The voice came from behind him. He whipped around to find her standing there, smiling at him while blocking his exit from the alley.

 

“MinYoung…”

 

“It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? Have you been well?” she greeted, her smile widened creating a beautiful eye smile.

 

“What are you doing here? I thought you said you left me for good and would never come back…” he whispered through clenched teeth in an attempt to keep his temper down. His fists tightened against his side as he side-glanced at her.

 

“I think the real question is…what are you doing here, Lee HoWon-sshi?” she shot back in a sickeningly sweet voice. Despite the fact that her adoring smile never changed, the grin started to look more and more twisted the longer HoWon stared at her.

 

“No…or shall I call you…

 

 

 

 

Click.

 

 

 

 

Infinite’s HoYa-sshi?”

 

 

HoWon really wasn’t sure whether he should be more stunned by the fact that his ex-girlfriend figured out his secret identity or that his ex-girlfriend was currently aiming a revolver at his face.

He watched her cautiously as she finally opened her eyes again.

 

He recognized that stare.

 

He had encountered it multiple times.

 

The unwavering glare that could not be shaken no matter what.

 

The fire in her eyes that burned through him like a laser.

 

The expressionless face masking all her emotions.

 

When he finally noticed his own oversight, he chuckled dryly with a sneering smirk.

 

 

 

 

“It seems you’ve been busy, huh, MiHyun-ah?”

 

She made no indications of responding to his claim.

 

“I’m very impressed. I was fooled up until the last moment. How did you even get the disguise to be so convincing? You’ve never even met MinYoung,” he continued asking, rewarding him with a blank stare from her.

 

Finally, she spoke, her stoic face broken for a moment.

 

“I have a photographic memory,” she answered as her face lit up immediately, shimmering brightly for a split second before she mocked, smirking, “Comes in handy, huh, HoYa-sshi?”

 

“Now then, why don’t you answer my question?” Her smile disappeared as if it was never there, glaring intensely at him, gun still pointed in his direction. “For what purpose do a bunch of rich, powerful kids need to work overtime as a gang?”

 

Silence befell them as he tried to process in his head what to do next.

 

“What do you gain from doing all this?” he commented, avoiding the more important issue.

 

PING.

 

He could almost feel the wind as the bullet zoomed dangerously past his face, embedded into the wall behind him. Well, at least he knew something for sure…that gun really was loaded (though it wasn’t exactly a pleasant discovery for him). She cocked her gun, reloading it, the direction of her weapon never leaving HoWon for a second.

 

“I warned you, didn’t I? Make one wrong move and I’ll blow your head right off, HoYa-sshi.”

 

He checked the bullet next to him before turning his attention back to her. Something seemed off with her. He really wasn’t sure how he knew that.

 

He just had a feeling…

 

“You wouldn’t do it.”

 

“Excuse me?” she questioned him, eyes narrowing, seemingly insulted by his comment.

 

“You’re better than that, MiHyun. You wouldn’t actually kill me, right?” HoWon quietly spoke as he slowly walked towards her, holding up both his hands to show her he wasn’t trying to pull anything. As the distance between the two of them decreased with every small step, her hand began to shake, breath starting to race from his nearing proximity.

 

“You’re a good person, MiHyun…I trust you.”

 

“Be a good girl, alright, SeoYeon?”

 

“NO! STAY AWAY FROM ME!”

 

BANG.

 

HoWon winced in pain as her second bullet grazed his arm ever so slightly. She was close to hyperventilating with her head down, one hand laced through her hair and the other still pointing the gun at him. It looked like she was trying to fight something.

 

Then she stopped.

 

Her breathing returned to normal as she straightened her posture.

 

Click.

 

“You were saying?”

 

Something changed.

 

Something broke.

 

The girl looking at him right now wasn’t MiHyun anymore.

 

The usual fire in her eyes was gone. No…the fire was replaced with a void. This was different from her masking her emotions.

 

No…

 

She really was willing to shoot him in her current state.

 

He needed to get out of there…

 

…and fast.

 

“Who knew this would come in handy…?” he muttered to himself. He took a deep breath to mentally prepare himself. Swiftly, he reached into his back pocket and threw down a smoke bomb. The whole area fogged in a gray fog while he ran for the exit, avoiding her barrage of aimless bullets that were desperately trying to find its target. To throw her off balance, he nudged past her, knocking her off to the side for just a moment. It was enough to disorient her senses in the smoke while he took the opportunity to escape, using a straight path out of the alley.

 

He heard her scream in frustration along with the clicking of an empty revolver as he somehow managed to escape with his life.

 

~

 

“Welcome back, Sir,” greeted his butler as HoWon entered the house, clenching his injured arm with a hand to stop the bleeding. “You have a guest in your room.”

 

He figured it was probably SungKyu, bothering him about the mission, and thought nothing of it as he entered his room unguarded.

 

“Hello again, HoYa-sshi.”

 

He jumped back at the voice, nearly receiving a heart attack as he felt the blade of a sharp object against his neck. He heard the door slam shut behind him. He didn’t have to look to know that MiHyun was at the other end of that knife. He groaned, not expecting to have to deal with encountering her for at least another day.

 

“Now then…where were we? Ah, right. Why did you run from me, HoYa-sshi? What are you boys hiding that you have to go and throw a smoke bomb at me? You know…I have asthma, what if I choked and died there? Wouldn’t you just feel horrible?” MiMi asked with an overly dramatic voice.

 

“Look…we’re not looking for any trouble…we just want a clean slate from what our family has done in the past,” he reasoned, surprisingly calm for dealing with someone that had just shot him and currently holding a blade against his carotid artery and jugular vein.

 

“Why don’t you pay people off then? You guys have the money,” she suggested bitterly, clearly disliking the idea but finding it more reasonable.

 

HoWon laughed cynically, “Please…you can’t trust people just by paying them. We had to take matters into our own hands.”

 

“You would be surprised what people will do for money…lie…cheat…steal…kill. All because you rich bastards try to protect yourselves, pretending to be all righteous and . It ing disgusts me. I hate all of you people.” Her voice was laced in ice and HoWon could have sworn that she wasn’t even talking to him directly at that point anymore.

 

He took the chance when he felt she seemed distracted to hit the knife out of her hand. Suspecting she probably has other weapons, he tried to restrain her by grabbing her wrist and twisting it behind her back. MiMi screamed in surprise (wincing slightly in pain at having her arm twisted), but she quickly recovered, whisking her head sharply, impeding his vision as she kicked his shin. He grunted in pain, forced to lose his grip on her. MiMi spun around and pulled out another dagger from out of nowhere, compelling HoWon to let go of her completely before she had the chance to stab him.

 

He jumped back defensively, preparing himself for what she may throw next at him.

 

He didn’t think she would literally throw things at him until a set of shuriken flew in his direction.

 

“, woman! Where do you hide all these weapons when you don’t even have pockets?!” HoWon cursed, dodging all but one shuriken that grazed his cheek. MiMi smirked, flipping her dress up, revealing all the weapons strapped to her legs (don’t worry, she’s wearing shorts underneath). His eyes widened, dreading the possible outcome of this battle.

 

She grabbed another dagger from her arsenal and rushed at him forming an X with her daggers. In need of a weapon, HoWon jumped to the side to avoid her attack, rolling up to a stand while picking up the knife she had dropped earlier.

 

MiMi took many swipes at HoWon with both her daggers while he had no choice but to avoid her by hitting away one of her dagger and dodging the other one. With each attack, he slowly reversed towards a wall. When he felt his back hit the wall, he waited for her to charge him again before spinning around to evade the sharp objects. Using her momentum against her, he turned and shoved her back forward, pinning her against the wall. Before she had a chance to will her way out of his hold like last time, he took both of her wrists and twisted them behind her back. He ignored her yelp of pain at the uncomfortable position as he forced her against the wall with the weight of his body. His vice grip on her wrists proved difficult to get out of no matter how hard she struggled. His hands traveled up her legs to remove any other weapons she may have attached to herself.

 

“Damn, you came prepared,” HoWon cursed as she grunted, still struggling.

 

“Get the off me or I’ll chop your balls off,” MiMi hissed venomously.

 

“Let’s stop this…you’re too tiring to fight…can we just go back to being HoWon and MiHyun?” he panted heavily in her ear, trying to catch his breath from their fight.

 

“Why? So you can continue pretending everything’s okay? Are you gonna pay me off too? I will find out what you people are hiding and I will expose them to the world!” she threatened viciously despite allowing herself to be restrained, figuring he would have to let her go sooner or later.

 

“For what purpose? What do you gain from exposing us?!” he demanded with a Busan accent, frustration getting the better of him.

 

“It’s not about what I gain…it’s about getting back for what I lost.”

 

“Please…just…go back to being MiHyun…”

 

MiMi stared back at him through the corner of her eye, confused at the almost pleading voice he just spoke in.

 

“I like you…MiHyun.”

 

Silence.

 

“…I’m not your ex-girlfriend. I sympathized that she broke your heart, but you can’t replace me with her.”

 

“It’s because you’re not her that I need you to stop and just…stay with me…” he whispered into her ear. She shivered, feeling his breath against her skin, shaking off the feeling before speaking.

 

“How could you possibly like me when you know exactly what I’m after? Are you ing insane? If you think this diversion is going to prevent me from finding out the truth, you’re sadly mistaken! I am not that easy!”

 

She gasped when he turned her around, pinning her back to the wall. Her eyes widened in shock when he stole a kiss from her lips. It was different from the first one they shared when he molested her the first day they met. It may have been almost as rough as their first kiss but a lot more desperate and perhaps a bit anxious. Her immediate reaction was to get him off of her, but his hold on her wrist provided once more difficult to escape from. She tried to reject his smothering kiss, shaking her head back and forth but he was relentless to get her to respond.

 

To both their surprise, she stopped struggling after awhile.

 

What was even more surprising was when she started kissing him back.

 

All the conflicting emotions in their relationship conveyed through their heated kiss. He released her arms to cup her face with both his hands deepening the kiss, not even bothering to come up for air. The only fighting against him despite being freed was for dominance in their kiss.

 

When they finally pulled apart for air, they were both more out of breath than their fight earlier. He gently rubbed her cheek with his thumb as he examined the rest of her face full of confusion.

 

Yes, she was definitely confused as to what just happened. But even more so, she couldn’t understand the look he was giving her.

 

It was possibly the saddest she had ever seen him. Desperate, need, want…yet somehow also melancholy…

 

“…what just happened?” she whispered…her voice sounding almost scared.

 

“…I have no idea…”

 

~

 

The butler downstairs looked up, hearing all the yelling and banging against the walls.

 

He shook his head.

 

“Crazy addicts.”

 

=====================================================================

 

DIDN’T EXPECT THAT DID YOU?! >:DDDD

 

This was totally inspired by both the song, “The Chaser,” and episode 3 of Ranking King. XDDD Since Hoya chased after MinYoung and ended up getting chased by MiMi. :P Pahahhaha…

 

I apologize for how awkward the emotions in the last scene are…*wiggles uncomfortably* I at…romance…and …and they’re still at the confusing stage as you can tell…so it’s not even quite romance…

 

…I really actually don’t know what just happened in that last scene…it just…came out…o___O

 

*goes hides in a corner in shame*

 

~Kira :3

 

P.S. HAPPY 2 YEARS WITH INFINITE! ^ ^ ALSO CONGRATULATIONS ON ALL YOUR WINS WITH THE CHASER SO FAR! MAY YOU WIN MANY MORE IN THE WEEKS TO COME! HWAITING!

 

P.P.S. Yes, I totally troll with the butler. Mwaha.

 

=====================================================================

 

corn-edmonkey: DaeHee’s his twin. :P If you look in Chapter 14, her gravestone has the same birthdate as him. ^ ^ DaeHyun is not the smartest child…he said that 6x8=79…which is a prime number…>> You can’t expect him to figure things out quickly. XD I threw in that DaeMi moment because people kept demanding DaeMi. XD MWAHAHAHAHA, HOW WAS MINDING FOR YOU IN THIS CHAPTER?! >:D YOU LIKE IT?! *throws you into the now upgraded dingy to motor boat DaeWoo ship*

 

Always2oclock: YOU NOW HAVE A MOTOR BOAT. XDDD Aren’t you happy? Hahahahaha…:P Poor DaeHyun indeed…D:

 

BAPLOVER: Naw~ you guys can ship whoever you want. :P In fact, I’m quite happy DaeWoo are getting more shippers because I quite like EunWoo. ^ ^ She has a very cute, quirky character. :D Yup, yup, DaeHyun and DaeHee are twins, refer back to Chapter 14 at DaeHee’s gravestone.

 

NazSamz: Haha, nooo~ I’m not the best. I just try my best. :P Oh, oh, did you see? I added your character in! ^ ^ *points at MinYoung up above*

 

ShadowYin: *nods* Poor DaeHyun…D: You and your angst…XD