mr. taxi

Our Love Will Light the Way

A/N: Originally posted January (?) 2013.


The city lights are like shooting stars,
Non-stop until the next destination,
Leaving only the sound of the engine.
See you again, I say good-bye from behind.

 

Tiffany feels like Jessica is like a taxi, always travelling and commuting and leaving, leaving to places where Tiffany couldn’t follow her. Tiffany, on the other hand, is like a house, solid and unshakable, always waiting for Jessica to come home.

“Where are you going?” Tiffany asks, watching as Jessica adds some last-minute lipstick, dabbing at the mouth that Tiffany’s kissed so many times with a tissue.

“Just out,” Jessica replies vaguely. “I’ll be back soon.”

“Will you?” Tiffany asks quietly, and looks away from the mirror, from the reflection that she feels like she no longer knows.

“What do you mean?” Jessica walks away from the vanity, towards Tiffany. “What are you talking about?”

“Nothing.” Tiffany shakes her head. “Never mind. Just go. Have fun.”

“I’m just going out for a bit, you know.” Jessica’s eyebrows pull into a frown, a crease marring her brow. “I didn’t know it bothered you.”

“What bothers me is that you’re gone more than you’re here. What bothers me is that – I know you come back, you always do, but I wonder if one day you’re going to come back a different person, and then maybe one day you won’t come back at all.”

“Of course I will.” Jessica’s frown is deeper now. “Where’s this coming from, Tiff?”

“I don’t know,” Tiffany sighs. “I don’t even know. Just forget it. I’m being ridiculous.”

“I know I’ve been gone a lot lately.” Jessica takes Tiffany’s hand. Tiffany doesn’t pull away from her, but her hand stays limp and still in Jessica’s grasp. “It’s just that – I have a lot of things to do. I’m sorry if you feel like I’ve been neglecting you. I never meant for that to happen.”

“I know you have your own life,” Tiffany whispers, “but I just. I don’t like it when you leave. I don’t like seeing you walk away from me.”

“I always want to come back.”

Jessica squeezes Tiffany’s hand tightly, her ring cutting into Tiffany’s knuckles. Tiffany doesn’t mind though; the ring, identical to the one on her hand, is both a symbol and a promise, and it always makes her happy to see it on Jessica’s finger.

Tiffany shifts, moves closer to Jessica so that they’re pressed together from shoulder to hip. “I just like being close to you,” she says quietly. “I feel like we don’t see each other enough these days, with our jobs and our friends and other things, and I just want to be with you when we do have time together.”

“I want to be with you too. I love you.”

Those three words never fail to light up Tiffany’s world like headlights being shone into the darkness, illuminating a path that she knows will always lead Jessica back home, back to her.

“I love you too.” Tiffany smiles at Jessica, who looks a little like headlights were shone into her face.

“You know, no matter how many times I leave, or how long I leave for, I’ll always come back.”

“I know,” Tiffany presses her lips to Jessica’s, softly, sweetly, “and I’ll always be here to welcome you home.”

 

To go anywhere freely,
That’s right, even to the end of the universe.
It’s just as I wished, why am I so anxious?
And I don’t know why, and I don’t know why
You’ll follow me, right?
I don’t wanna say good-bye…


A/N: The lyrics are from Mr. Taxi.