⬻Chapter III: Echoes⤖

My Mysterious Boss

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑

You quickly closed your door, panting heavily with your hand on your chest. You slid down with your back leaned against the door, thinking about what just happened.
•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
“Who sent you?”
His deep, husky voice paralyzed you.
You tried to reply back to him, but nothing came out. You knew your life depended on this moment. 
You heard him the gun, making you startled.
“Who…sent….you?”
He asked again.
The man looked over his shoulder to the bruised man who was on the ground, who had been dragged over by one of his henchmen.
“Are you here to help him?”
What’s the best answer?
You asked yourself.
“Please let me go. I won’t say anything about this.” You begged the man with your back facing him.
You heard his heavy footsteps walk closer to you.
You closed your eyes, curling your hands into a fist, placing them to the sides of your body. Your body tensed up when you felt his warm breath brush over your left ear. The summer breeze swiftly blew your hair, and his scent swam around the air. It smelled of a leather and cedarwood blend.
“What did you see?” He asked.
“N-nothing.” You stuttered. That second had to be the longest second of life.
You felt him back away from you. Your heart raced and your stomach turned. The cold chills that ran through your body intensified.
“Let her go.” The man ordered.
You opened your eyes and relaxed your fist. You saw his henchmen drop their guns, no longer pointing at you. Just as you took your first step, the man warned you.
“Take this as a warning. Next time, I won’t spare your life.”
You didn’t say anything nor did you look back.

“Follow her.” The man ordered, making sure you kept your promise.


You ran up the dirt road, and it felt like an eternity. Just as you reached the main road, you heard a gunshot. You stopped for a second, before sprinting as fast as you could. Once you ran, you made sure to not look back. You ran past the ahjusshi’s shop and ahjumma’s shop. You ignored the pain that was pulsing through your bare feet.

Meanwhile, Eunwoo walked out of his house to take out the trash.
She’s home.
Eunwoo smiled when he saw you. He noticed you had a long chiffon black dress on.
She's so pretty.
Eunwoo's thought was distracted by how fast you were running down the road.
Why is she running so fast?

“Hi -----!” Eunwoo greeted and waved to you, as you ran pass him.
EunWoo looked at you, confused. In fact, you were so focused on getting home and running as far as you could that you hadn’t noticed Eunwoo’s wave.
Is something wrong?
Eunwoo popped his head out from the front gate and looked at the direction you ran from.
There’s no one? I’ll text her.
Eunwoo thought, before closing the gate and entering his home.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
You quickly closed your door, panting heavily with your hand on your chest. You slid down with your back leaned against the door.

What if he finds me? Does he know that I live here? I’m taking this to my grave.

You sat on the ground all night in your dress with no sleep. You still felt the tremors through your body and the cold sweats.
You lifted your head up when you saw the dim sunlight beamed through your window. You quickly got up and looked out the window to make sure the man wasn’t outside of your house or any of his henchmen. Once you scanned the yard, you covered the curtain nicely and walked to the bathroom.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
You changed out of the dress and back to your work uniform. You grabbed your watch that was placed on your desk. It read 6:00.
“I am safe. I didn’t see anything. I didn’t hear anything. I’ll never meet them again.” You tried to calm yourself down, as you pace the living room.

You were in a session of calming yourself down, just before you thought about your bag, which had all your personal stuff, from your identification card to your chapstick. Your phone, you knew, was damaged.
You sighed heavily.
Should I go back?
You asked yourself.
No, I shouldn’t.
You slipped on your work heels, before heading out.
You opened the door slightly, scanning the outside through the small opening.
It’s safe.
You confirmed.
You slipped through the crack, only to be startled by EunWoo’s presence.
“OMO! EunWoo-ah!” You yelled out, holding your chest.
Not only did you startle yourself, but you startled EunWoo as well.
“Are you okay, ----?” EunWoo asked, looking at you worriedly.
Once you calmed down, you looked at Eunwoo.
“What?”
“Last night, I waved to you, you were runn----”
“Nothing happened!” You interrupted him, quickly denying it before Eunwoo could finish his thought.
Eunwoo looked at you, confused.
You saw Eunwoo’s face and smiled at him.
“Oh, I had to use the bathroom. Sorry, I didn’t see you.” You lied.
Eunwoo’s expression relaxed.
“Oh, um, that’s good that nothing happened then. I heard that you attended a business party last night. How was it?” Eunwoo asked.
“It was okay.”
“Did you go with Haein?”
You nodded your head, as you got out of your house.
You locked it and turned around to look at EunWoo.
“Eunwoo-ah, can you walk me to the bus station?” You asked him.
Eunwoo smiled at you.
“I’ve been waiting for you to ask me that.” Eunwoo chuckled.
You playfully slapped his arm.
“Thank you!” You smiled at him.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
You guys walked up and down the hilly roads. The ahjummas and ahjusshis were out rolling their carts to their own shop. You and Eunwoo would greet them along the way to the station.
“Eunwoo, thank you so much. I really appreciate your time.” You thanked him once more. You cautiously looked around your surroundings, just in case you saw the man from last night.
“It’s no problem.” Eunwoo replied. He noticed that you looked disturbed.
“Is everything okay?” Eunwoo asked you, as he started looking around with you. You looked at Eunwoo and denied it right away.
“Ah, yes! I…I thought I saw someone I knew.” You lied. Your heart was racing the whole time you walked with Eunwoo. However, his presence did make you feel a lot safer.
“Ah -----.”
“Yea?”
“You looked really pretty last night.” Eunwoo complimented.
“Haha, thank you!” You shyly smiled at him.
“But, I noticed you did not have any shoes on. Did you not wear shoes?” Eunwoo questioned.
“The shoes?” You asked.
Eunwoo nodded.
“You were running really fast yesterday but without shoes. Does your feet hurt?”
“Oh, the shoes. I…I took them off and gave them to Haein. We switched shoes.”
“Uh-huh.” Eunwoo nodded along to your story, trying to figure out where you were going.
“Last night, there was a dog that chased me and I think I must have kicked Haein’s shoes off.”
“Oh.” Eunwoo knew the story was a little weird, but he nodded along anyway.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
You finally reached the station. You turned around and thanked Eunwoo.
“Thank you Eunwoo! Sorry, I took much of your time.”
“No, it’s nothing. Did you want me to pick you up later?” Eunwoo asked.
“That would be nice.” You smiled at him.
“Okay, just text me when you get off.” Eunwoo smiled. As he turned around to leave, you stopped him.
“Eunwoo-ah, I actually lost my phone last night.” You told him.
“Oh, do you recall the last place you used it?”
The junk yard. 
You answered in your head.
“I’m not sure. Well, it’s okay if you don’t come, I’ll be okay.” You assured him.
“Are you sure? I’ll come by 7. You’re usually out at 7.” Eunwoo said.
“No, it’s okay. The new chairman is coming in today. I’m not sure if we’ll get to leave early.” You reassured him.
“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” He asked.
You nodded to him.
The bus arrived, and you waved goodbye to Eunwoo.
“I’ll see you later.” Eunwoo said, waving to you.
You entered the bus and sat by the window, continuing your wave to Eunwoo. Eunwoo gave you a smile before walking back to the neighborhood.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
Eunwoo’s talk made you forget about his voice. You tried to recall his voice, but nothing came out. You looked at your watch, and it read 6:30.
You knew you were going to make it just in time before the new chairman arrives.
After 15 minutes or so, you hopped off the bus and continued on foot to reach the building.
The two things you hated the most were the twig and the stairs. By the time you reached the top of the stairs, you were panting. It was the most tiring part of the day, but the part that woke you up too.
You entered the building and noticed that the decoration team was in, adding finishing touch.
Wow, he really is the chairman’s grandson then.
You thought.
“-----!”
You looked behind and saw Haein running in.
“Haein-ah.”
She gave you a hug, which surprised you.
“Whoa, is everything okay?” You asked her, pulling away from the hug.
“No, are you okay?”
“What? Why wouldn’t I?” You asked her, chuckling.
“I just got off the phone with Eunwoo. He said you were running last night in bare foot. This morning, you looked distracted. Did something happen last night?” Haein frantically asked. “Eunwoo said you lost your phone too.”
You remembered that you promised the man you wouldn’t say one word about it.
“I’m fine. I was chased by a dog last night while walking home. I lost my shoes and my phone when I was running.” You lied to her.
“What? How did you lose your phone? Wasn't it in your bag?” Haein asked.
“No, I took it out. I was looking at some pictures and the dog came out of nowhere. I got scared and I probably threw it somewhere in the neighborhood.” You lied.
“Omo, let’s go look for it after work. I should have taken you home last night.” Haein said. She felt bad you had to go through all of that last night.
“It’s okay, Haein. I’ll save up and buy a new phone. That one was old anyway.” You knew you were never going to get a new phone, but you had to say that to make Haein believe you.
“No, we need to go look for it.” Haein insisted.
“It’s okay. Eunwoo and I will go look for it later.” You told her. She smiled at you and agreed along. This would be the first time she agreed with you.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
You both set your stuff in the locker room, before heading to the meeting room. You and Haein stood next to each other in the front.
Ms. Kim walked down each aisle, carefully scanning everyone from top to bottom.
Once Ms. Kim scanned everyone, she made her way to the front and spoke in the microphone.

“As you all are aware, from today forward, the new chairman, Mr. Wi Ha Joon, will be leading the company. It is important to mention that we will treat the new chairman with respect and dignity. A few protocols that I must remind you all. Don’t talk unless you’re instructed. Smiling is prohibited. Left hand over your right hand when bowing. Anyone who can’t follow these simple rules will be terminated. Is that understood?”
“Yes.” Everyone replied in unison, including you.
“Mr. Wi Ha Joon will be arriving at 8AM sharp. Stand where you’re instructed. Do not lift your head until he enters the elevator.” Ms. Kim concluded.
With that, Ms. Kim exited the room first.
You looked at Haein and she looked at you.
“Damn, I think he’s going to be scarier than the previous chairman and Ms. Kim.” Haein joked.
“I hope not.” You wished.
“Do you not see how serious Ms. Kim was?” Haein asked.
“I think he’ll be like the previous chairman. He’s the grandson of the past chairman. Hopefully, he’ll be a little more lenient.” You added.
You and Haein walked to the elevator and pressed on the first floor.
“Yah, you haven’t told me about the dance with Lee Soo Hyuk.” Haein playfully slapped your arm.
You had forgotten that you danced with him last night.
“Ahh, that!”
Haein gave you a confused look.
“Did you forget that you danced with him last night?” 
“A little bit.”
“How was it? Was he muscular? Did he smell good?” Haein asked.
“What?”
“What? You didn’t smell him?” Haein asked.
“He was nice. He taught me how to dance. We didn’t talk much though.” You tried to keep in short and simple for Haein.
“Yah, I need more than that. Did your heart skip a beat?”
“What? No, why would it?” You asked, as you both walked out of the elevator.
“He’s so good-looking. I think you’re lying.” Haein said.
“No, I didn’t feel anything like that. If anything, I was more scared of Ms. Kim.” You told Haein. Haein laughed at your comment. You guys stood behind the reception desk, tidying the counter, and sanitizing it.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
Before you two knew it, the time was ticking closer to 8:00AM. You looked at your watch and it read 7:45.
Everyone started making their way to the entrance, standing in their spot.
“Haein, let’s go.” You told her. She smiled and nodded in agreement.
You both stood on the left side of the aisle next to each other, while Jeongmin stood across from Haein. All the female staffs were to stand on the left side, while the male staffs stood on the right side. You saw them, smiling at each other.
“You love birds.” You joked, making Haein blush more. She playfully slapped you on the arm.
Ms. Kim came down the aisle and looked at you and Haein.
“What are you two doing? Drop the smile and get into your position. This will be your first and last warning.” Ms. Kim commanded.
You and Haein immediately fixed your guys’ posture and dropped the smiles.

You looked at your watch and noticed it was 7:58.
Anytime now.
You thought.
You looked around and saw that everyone was already in their posture, ready to show their respects to the new chairman.
From your peripheral view, you saw the two guards who were located at the front, open the clear glass doors.
This is it.
You thought.
The first step he took echoed throughout the whole room; it was the clean and sharp sound of the heels that sent chills down your spine.
The moment the heels of his shoes touched the shiny, waxy floor, everyone, including you, immediately bowed down, with their left hand on top of their right hand placed on their abdomen.

His steps were so crisp and clear; it rang in your ear. You saw his polished, black shoes walk past you. It felt as if time slowed down. You followed his steps with your eyes. Soon, your head slightly turned as you carefully examined each step he took.
Why did he stop?
You thought, as your eyes traveled to the side of his face.
And, that’s when you made eye contact with the new chairman, Mr. Wi Ha Joon.
You realized you had broken protocol, immediately turning your head back down, hoping that Ms. Kim didn’t catch anything. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath.


The moment you opened your eyes, you saw the same pair of shoes your eyes traveled with in front of you.

┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

♡Send love and support to our Wi Ha Joon♡

This story will be avaliable on
Wattpad! You can search up the title of the story "My Mysterious Boss", or you can search up my username @alwaysterius.

As always, don't forget to leave me a message, subscribe, and upvote!

☆.。.:*Inspirit_o7.。.:*☆