Chapter 14: Minji's Past

Love and Fame

Minji's POV:

December 2016:

"Hey Minji, it's Yoohyeon... your girlfriend." She chuckled awkwardly through the phone.

It had been two months since the last time I saw her and I missed her so much. Two months since I abandoned them in their misery, running away like a coward. I was the worst leader they could have and, because of me, their dream of becoming successful idols vanished. I was so ashamed of myself, seeing where I led them and deciding to go back home to my parents, not answering them anymore to give them a chance to forget me and live a better life without me.

But it was easier said than done. Siyeon was talking to me by message at least once a week, remembering me our friendship and happy moments we had together and sending some pictures with that. Sua was giving me news about each member, telling me that she was taking care of them but needed me back as their leader. And Yubin was also texting me a lot, saying how much she missed me and was lost without me. And honestly, it was so difficult to not answer them and just ignore their messages. But it wasn't the hardest.

Yoohyeon was calling every single day, asking me some news or just telling me about her day. But sometimes, she was calling me, crying and pleading me to comeback to her. And that was the hardest thing, not being here for her when she was suffering. At those moments, I just wanted to take her far from this world and protect her from everything that could hurt her. But no, instead of this, I was totally ignoring her and making her suffer even more.

"I just wanted to let you know that the girls and I will debut again with a new group concept and new members. And... hum... we all miss you a lot, we want you as our leader again. We need you Minji... I need you, so badly. Anyway, I hope you are doing fine and you are happy where you are. Your happiness is the most important thing and I would understand if you didn't want to comeback. Take care of you Minji. I love you."

Her daily voice messages brought me so much joy and comfort. Every day, it made me want more and more to go back to her, but I couldn't, I didn't deserve it, I didn't deserve her.

But this time, it was different. There were going to debut again and they needed me as their leader. Yoohyeon and the others trusted me. But it was too soon to decide something like that.

Days had passed and Yoohyeon called me back every day, reminding me of the group. But after two weeks, she said something different.

"Hi Minji, it's still your favorite Yoohyeon... I hope. Anyway, today is your last day to come back. Tomorrow, the CEO will start searching for a new leader and honestly, I don't want to be leaded by someone else than you. You are the best leader we all dreamed of and none of us want a replacement. So please, come back, we need you." She said before pausing for a moment. "I will always wait for you Minji, I love you." And she hung up.

My heart was beating like crazy and I was completely lost in my thoughts. Someone was going to take my position? But I thought that Sua was supposed to be the new leader. I knew them, having a new leader was going to create a real mess. Siyeon would never obey to her, Sua would try to protect the kids by putting a barrier and Yubin would just be really cold. Concerning Yoohyeon, she needed a really strong support and proximity with the leader, otherwise, she was going to let the pressure and the stress drown her. And I knew it, it could really break her.

There was no way I was letting someone else destroy their group. I ruined Minx but now, we had a second chance and I wasn't going to abandon them. I had to fix my mistakes.

I quickly packed my suitcase and say bye to my family before taking the first train for Seoul. Dreamcatcher, wait for me, I'm coming back.

**********

'Chase Me' was a great success and the members were more than happy with our new concept and new audience. We quickly built a new fan community and found back our old fans who also enjoyed our new genre. We finally had what we always dreamed of and the best part in all of this was that I could live it with the person I loved the most, Kim Yoohyeon.

"Hey Hyeon, it's almost 9pm, let's go home." I said, entering in the training room.

She looked so focus on the choreography, being careful on every move and every beat. But as soon as she heard me, her face lightened up and she stopped dancing to run to me.

"Minji!" She called, hugging me tightly.

"Ew, you're all sweaty!" I said, feeling her back all wet.

"You don't want me to hug you?" She pouted cutely, pulling back a little from the hug. Gosh, she was so adorable, I was so lucky to have her.

"Of course I want you to hug me!" I answered, hugging her even tighter. "Okay, now let's go, I'm hungry." I said, pulling her by her hand out of the room.

"Me tooooo~~~" She complained, stumbling on every step up to the lobby of the agency, out of fatigue. "But I'm too tired to walk. Can you carry me on your back, please?" She asked with her puppy eyes.

"Sorry Hyeon but I'm too used to those puppy eyes of yours now. I won't fall for it anymore." I chuckled, pulling her to the entrance door.

"Wait! Can I have a kiss, at least? To give me some strength, you know." She smiled cutely.

"Of course, you can, my beautiful girlfriend." I said, cupping her face and giving her a soft peck on the lips. "Now, let's go, the others are waiting for us."

"Okay, let's go." She answered with a smile, following me outside.

**********

'Can I have a kiss, at least? To give me some strength, you know.'

'Of course, you can, my beautiful girlfriend.'

Jaesung, our new manager, was showing me a video he discreetly took yesterday of Yoohyeon and I with his phone.

"Mind explaining this?" He asked, his arms crossed on his chest.

I was frozen, staring blankly at his screen in my hands. How could I be so stupid? I, who usually checked every time, forgot once and it was enough to reveal this relationship I managed to hide for 2 years.

"Jiu, look at me." He said with a soft voice, taking back his phone. I slowly raised my head, meeting his eyes, and was surprised by how tender he looked. "Are you two dating? You can trust me, Jiu." He added with a warm smile.

I didn't know him well since we met not long ago but, at that moment, he seemed really indulgent and almost felt like a father. Plus, it was useless to deny what he filmed, there was no way to prove the opposite.

"I... yes." I answered, looking down.

"Since when?"

"Just before Minx's debut."

After that answer, I was waiting for kind and supportive words to come, seeing how he looked at me a few seconds before. But instead, the only response I got was the silence.

Confused, I raised my head again to look at him but what I saw almost made me jump. His facial expression hardened and had a disgusted look on his face, staring at me from head to toe.

"Who do you think you are to claim her yours?" He asked with a threatening tone. "It's not because you're her leader that you can make her your own. If anything, she's more mine than yours." He smirked.

At that sentence, I felt my blood boil in my veins and I just wanted to punch his face as hard as possible. But I couldn't hurt him, he had something against me that he could use to destroy me but mostly Yoohyeon. And I was going to do everything I could to protect her. So, I just clenched my fists and took the hits, trying to contain myself from jumping on him.

"What would people say if they discovered this? 'Oh, you know those two girls from this unknown group Dreamcatcher? They are two ing disgusting lesbians.'! Do you really want to destroy the life of your members a second time, Jiu?" He smirked, coming closer to me.

"What do you want?" I asked, between gritted teeth.

"I want fame! Your agency chose me because I am one of thebest artist managers out there. And I know I can become even more famous if I manage to make you stand out but I can't if you continue to make your members stop at 10pm because 'they have to rest'. Do you really think you will succeed if you're that lazy? I want you to stop doing your leader's crisis and push your members even more. And no exception of course, not even for your little  toy."

At this word, I saw red and jumped on him, raising my fist up to shut his big mouth but was stopped just an inch away from him, as he took his phone out, showing me again the video.

"Jiu, please, you wouldn't really want to do that, right? Remember, I just need a single clip to destroy your seven lives."

, he was right. I couldn't sacrifice my six members' lives just because he insulted Yoohyeon, even if he deserved the worst for that. I stepped back a little and let my head hang, now fighting the tears. Why was I so stupid? My role was to protect the love of my life but instead, I just made her life even harder. Because of my mistake, she was paying the price, once again.

"I see you understand quickly, that's good." He said, patting my shoulder. "And of course, I don't want to see you kiss her or touch her like this in front of me again, it disgusts me."

He added before leaving the room. But just as he passed the doorway, he stopped and turned toward me.

"Such a waste though, I know a bunch of men who would love to have a nice moment with the two of you. Especially your little girlfriend, really tempting." He smirked before leaving the room.

His last sentence left me totally frozen, even though my heart was beating like crazy. What did he mean by that? Did he was planning to... try anything on Yoohyeon? At that thought, my heart squeezed hard, there was no way I was going to let anybody put their hands on her. I may have complicated her life in an instant, but I would never let anyone hurt her.

**********

After almost a year, the agency put the seven of us in YG Entertainment's show, Mixnine. Unfortunately, only four of us passed the audition. Sua, Dongie and Gahyeon were really disappointed but secretly, I was relieved, because it meant a lot less stress for them. Jaesung put a lot of pressure on me and had really high expectations, he wanted us to stay in the top 20 from the start to the end. So, when Yoohyeon went from the 9th place to the 34th, I had to fight for her not to be alone with him. With the pressure of the last comeback, the show and the future tour in Brazil, getting yelled at by our manager was going to break her. Plus, there was no way I was letting both of them alone, remembering what he told me that day. He never tried anything on her but it wasn't a reason for me to lower my attention. Last time I did so, I allowed a psychopath to take our fate in hostage. But protecting her meant that he had to scold me instead, yelling at me that I was a useless leader and repeating me that I was a disgusting dyke. But, even if I was doing this for something good, it affected me more than I wanted and being treated so badly by my manager and having to lead a group of girls I barely knew in such a big competition made me completely lose my mind. So much that, when Yoohyeon came to have a moment with me, I went too fast with her and almost forced her to do something she didn't want, feeling really guilty after that.

And as if it couldn't get any worse, the mid-term evaluation went terribly and our coach didn't hesitate to destroy our work and humiliate us. At that moment I felt like given up and run away but I couldn't do it, I already did this mistake with Minx. Plus, I couldn't lose against the boys, especially with what they told us in front of everyone, Manny cursed in front of us and Byeongkwan looked at us as if we were less than nothing. I wanted to prove them wrong and for that, I had to work harder than ever.

"Unnie?" Yoohyeon called me, as she entered in our training room, a few days before the big day.

"Yoohyeon? What are you doing here?" I asked, just finishing to perform Boombayah once again with my team.

"I need some advice for my vocal performance. Could you come with me for 5 minutes to help me, please?" She was holding her hands in front of her and seemed... hesitant? Was she shy because of the other girls?

"Sure. Girls, you can take a break, I'm coming back in 5 minutes." I told to my team before joining Yoohyeon at the door.

She took my hand in hers and guided me to another training room, before closing the door behind her and leaning on it, as if she didn't want me to leave.

"Okay, now put the music on and sing, I have to go back quickly to my training." I said, thinking about the time I was giving her instead of my girl team. Ever second was precious in this show but I couldn't risk Yoohyeon losing or getting bad results to be yelled at by Jaesung after. I had to focus on my own training and push Yoohyeon to give the best of herself. But it was easier said than done.

"I'm sorry, Minji, but I didn't really need any help in fact..."

"What? Then why did you make me come here? You're wasting my time!" I said, a bit rougher than I wanted it to be. I didn't know what she wanted, but she was wasting both of our time. At this moment instead, I could have been training hard with my team and she could have done the same. She didn't know it, but every time she didn't give the results Jaesung expected, I had to stand for her and take the hits instead of her.

"Ryujin told me you always skipped lunch and didn't take good care of yourself." She explained with a concern look.

"I'm okay, don't worry. And it's only for a week-" I tried to reassure her but she cut me before I could finish.

"Yes, for a whole week! You can't continue like this, Kim Minji, you're destroying yourself! What do you think Sua unnie would say if she knew?" Sua, one of the only persons I could break with and with who I could tell everything. But mainly, she was the only who always dared to scold me when I didn't take care of myself or did things I could regret later. She was so essential to my life and I knew I couldn't do anything without her. But the way Yoohyeon just talked about her reminded me the time when she took my leader's place. I felt like Yoohyeon just pushed me on the side to give more power to Sua and I hated that.

"Don't you dare scold me, I'm still your leader for all I know. And I know how to take care of myself, I don't need you." I raised my voice on her.

I quickly realized what I just said and was about to try to fix it when I was left speechless by a threatening wolf stare entering in the room. I was frozen under her black stare and even had difficulties to swallow.

"Do you really think you can treat your members like that?" She scolded me with her low scary voice, not breaking the eye contact. "You're treating her like while she's trying to help you!" She raised her voice, going to Yoohyeon and hugging her tightly as if she was trying to protect her from me. My heart clenched thinking that Yoohyeon could see me as a threat when I loved her more than anything.

"No, I-" I tried to defend myself but was cut by Siyeon.

"You just told her you didn't need her! Do you imagine what she's feeling right now? She's your ing girlfriend, unnie! You just told your girlfriend you didn't need her!"

She was right, I really ed up this time. How could I say that to the love of my life, knowing how fragile her heart could be. Second after second, I felt more and more guilty, hating myself more than ever, especially when I saw Yoohyeon trembling uncontrollably in Siyeon's arms, blinking her eyes a lot, probably to keep herself from crying.

I took a few hesitant steps toward her, wanting to take her in my arms and tell her how much I was sorry and loved her but she suddenly detached herself from Siyeon's embrace, running out of the room, tears in her eyes.

"No, wait-" I tried to run after her but Siyeon put herself in front of me, blocking the way out. "Let me talk to her, I have to see her!" I pleaded, trying to push her to the side, but in vain.

"Unnie, do you really think she's in a state to talk right now?" She scolded me, putting her hands on my shoulders to calm me down.

"But I need to tell her-"

"How sorry you are? No, try to act instead of speak. Yoohyeon is so in love with you that, no matter what you will do to her, she will forgive you. But it doesn't mean that you're not hurting her. Can't you see how much you're destroying her?"

At that sentence, my heart tightened and I was frozen, speechless. I loved her more than anything and I always did everything I could to protect her, how could I 'destroy' her? It was impossible, she looked so happy when we were together, there was no way I was making her suffer that much just because I was harsh once with her.

"No, I have to talk to her. Let me see her." I tried again to gently push her to the side, but this time, her reaction was more aggressive. She pushed me back violently, forcing me to take two big steps backwards.

"Unnie, open your eyes! Can't you see how toxic your relationship is?" She yelled at me.

" you, Siyeon! That's my relationship, you don't know anything about it! So don't you dare scold me!" I yelled back at her.

"Really? Then, who do you think is hugging a crying and heart-broken Yoohyeon almost every night? You maybe? No, it's me! I'm trying to fix the mess you're creating."

What? Yoohyeon was suffering that much... because of me? Why didn't she talk to me about it? At that moment, I thought back at the predebut Yoohyeon who was crying every night and didn't want to talk to me about it because she was scared of me. A few seconds ago, she also looked terrified, trembling in Siyeon's arms. Was I really the reason of her pain?

"Do you really think this relationship is... toxic?" I asked with a hesitant voice, looking down.

"Can't you see it? You're so cold with her and when she's asking for some attention, you're just pushing her away."

"But... I'm giving her attention. We often sleep together and..." I tried to think of something we did just her and I not long ago but nothing came to my mind and it made me feel so guilty. The only thing I was thinking of was trainings, where we weren't even just the two of us. I could only remember us as a member and her leader.

"Honestly, when was the last time you slept together? Nowadays, she's only sleeping with Yubin and Sua. You only have couple moments when you want to. As if you were using her, taking her when you need some comfort and then throwing her away. Can't you imagine how she's feeling right now?"

My heart was burning like hell, how could I be that selfish? I spent so much time trying to protect her and the members from Jaesung, making them work harder and harder, that I forgot to take care of her as I should take care of the girl who gave me a reason to wake up every morning. I tried to be the best leader for my members but forgot to be the best girlfriend too, and now she was paying the price.

"..." I mumbled.

"Unnie, just know that, no matter what will happen between you, she will always forgive you but will continue to suffer. So stop being sorry and show her that you really are. But if you can't assume your leader role and girlfriend role, don't be selfish and let her be happy." She said, gently patting my shoulder.

"Okay..." I lightly nodded, my heart beating as fast as if I ran a marathon. "C-Can I go to see her now? I would like to know what she's feeling to try to fix things with her... I don't want to lose her..."

"Yeah, I understand. You can go if you want but please, be really gentle with her, you know how fragile she is."

"Yes, I know, thank you Siyeon." I said, hugging her tightly before releasing her and going out of the room to search for the love of my life.

I started to look everywhere but finding her was harder than I thought, she was probably hiding somewhere. But I quickly found where she went when some other trainees told me they saw a girl running with tears in her eyes. It hurt to know that I was the one causing those tears but at least I was going to do everything I could to fix our relationship. And after 15 minutes of searching, I finally heard a familiar voice, it was Yoohyeon.

"When we were still Minx, she always refused to spend time with me because 'she didn't have time' for me. And when I had the occasion to be with her, she was so cold with me and looked... bored? Even today, I tried to help her and she yelled at me saying she didn't need me." She explained, still sobbing a little.

What I just heard froze me. I was making her suffer since Minx, even before Jaesung? , how come I didn't see anything? And leaving her without any news for two months mustn't have help at all. But why didn't she tell me anything? Was she really scared of me? Realizations started to hit me hard as I felt guilt invading me more and more.

But who was she talking to? I regained control of my body, forcing my legs to take me at the corner, to have a better view of what was happening. But what I saw almost made my heart stop. She was sitting on a bench, holding hands with a boy who was looking at her with a lovely smile on his disgusting face.

"You can let go, Yoohyeon, I'm not here to judge you. I can understand why she wants to be strong in front of you. But, you're right, rejecting you like this is not right." He said. At that moment, I saw red and walked angrily toward them. Was he really criticizing me when he didn't even know anything? "But who am I to judge her? I'm just sorry for you and your members, I-"

"Yes, who are you to judge me?" I cut him, ready to jump on him and shut his big mouth.

Yoohyeon's eyes widened as soon as she saw me and she quickly pulled back her hands from his, standing up in front on me. She was about to say something but the boy cut her, standing up and bowing deeply to me.

"I'm sorry, Jiu-ssi, I didn't mean to criticize you or the way you lead your members." He said, not raising his head. Jo Yonggeun, the leader of HNB, couldn't he go for other girls? Why did he have to take my girl away from me?

"Leave. Now." I ordered, not looking at him but at Yoohyeon instead, trying hard to not jump on him and choke him.

"Y-Yes, goodbye Jiu-ssi, goodbye Yoohyeona." He bowed again and waved at Yoohyeon. 'Yoohyeona', really? How close were they? Was she really cheating on me with this useless guy?

"Minji, I-"

"So, I let you a few days alone because I have to work and what are you doing? Flirting with the boys of the agency?" I scolded her, feeling so angry but mostly hurt. I knew I wasn't the best girlfriend but I didn't deserve to be cheated.

"No, I-"

"I just caught you holding hands with a guy and talking behind my back! What are you searching for, Kim Yoohyeon?" I yelled at her, feeling my throat tightening from the emotion.

"Minji, let me explain, I-"

"There is nothing to explain. I work hard for Dreamcatcher, training days and nights, and what does my girlfriend do to help me? Wasting my time and go have fun with other people? I don't give you enough time, I'm sorry, but I can't be a good leader and a good girlfriend at the same time. It can't work well together." I said, remembering what Siyeon told me. She was right after all, I couldn't be perfect at both, I had to do a choice. And I knew I didn't deserve Yoohyeon, I had to let her find someone better, I couldn't hold her back.

"W-What do you mean?" She stuttered.

"Let's break up." I finally said, fighting hard to not let the tears fall. I couldn't look weak in front of her.

She was frozen, her eyes getting more and more watery second after second. What did I do? For two years, I was destroying her heart little by little and now I just finished the job, completely breaking it. I was really the worst, how could she love me that much when I didn't deserve it?

But as hard as I tried, I couldn't keep my tears inside and just broke down, running away from her. I hated myself so much for what I did to her. I quickly went to hide in my room and sent a message to Ryujin, asking her to continue the training without me. And I cried, more than I ever did, suffering like I never had before and hating myself more than ever, trusting Siyeon to take care of Yoohyeon as she deserved.

**********

But the following week was worse than hell. I missed her so much but I didn't deserve to even look at her, she was like a real golden sun while I was just mud and dirt, killing myself in training. I couldn't stop thinking about her and had difficulties to focus on my work. Her absence in the position she used to have in my heart affected my leader skills and it couldn't happen when I was going to comeback to Dreamcatcher. Without her, I felt so empty, not even able to find passion in dancing and singing, worrying Ryujin. Luckily, she managed to make me focus again, reminded me of my responsibilities toward the group but I didn't feel like myself anymore, I missed half of me.

The performances came and I was more serious than ever, ready to shut the boys' big mouths. And that's what we did, we won against them. But unfortunately, it wasn't the case for Yubin, Siyeon and Yoohyeon, and this fail didn't help her. I even heard her cry alone on the floor of her training room, but I didn't dare to comfort her. I was part of her pain after all. But I couldn't hold it any longer, I had to fix things, I couldn't stay away from her anymore. And luckily she accepted my excuses and agreed to go back to where we were, even if Siyeon hated this idea.

After a few days, we left for our tour in Brazil and honestly, it was one of the best things I ever lived before. I was able to meet our international fans, discover a new country and enjoy all of this with my beautiful girlfriend. We even had the opportunity to try they local ice creams and we loved it. I didn't realize how much I missed those moments until now, just her and I, sharing an ice cream. That was what made me the happiest.

But reality hit hard when we came back and had to work for our new comeback, under the directions of Jaesung. Plus, his expectations were higher than ever with the success we had on Mixnine and I couldn't disappoint him, not wanting to risk the career of Dreamcatcher by the revelation of Yoohyeon and I's relationship. So I worked as hard as I could, not even realizing that I was hurting my girlfriend again.

"Love?" She asked, entering in the training room while I was doing the 'You and I' choreography alone once again.

"Hey, Hyeon!" I called her, not stopping to dance. I couldn't stop training, knowing Jaesung was waiting for me to do any little mistakes to remind me how disgusting and useless I was, but at the same time, I had to show Yoohyeon I cared about her, remembering what she said to Yonggeun.

"Do you want to do a break and come to eat an ice cream with me?"

"No, thanks, I don't have the time for this." I said, trying to focus on the choreography I was doing.

"R-Really? You don't even have 15 minutes for your girlfriend?" I saw her pouted cutely out of the corner of my eye. Gosh, she was so adorable, if only I could stop everything and just enjoy an ice cream with her. But unfortunately, I couldn't.

"Not now, Yoohyeon, I'm busy. This evening at the dorm if you want."

After this suggestion, I was expecting to hear an exciting puppy telling me something like 'Okay, see you tonight!' or 'I can't wait!' but instead, the only answer I got was the silence.

"Don't you remember what happened the last time you pushed me away for a training?" She asked after a few seconds. She was talking about Mixnine and I knew exactly where this discussion was heading.

"It wasn't the same, it was a survival." I tried to calm things down because, otherwise, it wasn't going to end well.

"Yes, but you are doing exactly the same."

"Right now is more important Yoohyeon. For the survival, we were going to leave anyway!" I raised my voice a little, coming to her now that the song was finished.

"So, you're telling me you broke up with me... for nothing?" She asked, trying to keep her voice steady. Why was she so dramatic?

"Don't be ridiculous, you know it's not that."

"Then explain to me what it is! I just want to have a ing ice cream with my ing girlfriend! Is it too much to ask?" She yelled at me, now on the verge of crying.

Hearing her yell at me like this angered me more than anything. I was doing everything I could for her and she was just treating me as if I was the witch of the story. I was just trying to save Dreamcatcher but she was making it so difficult.

"Why are you so selfish? If we don't train enough, we will finish like Minx, and it will be all your fault!" I shouted back at her.

But I quickly regretted what I just said, especially when I saw her defeated look and tears in her eyes.

"Okay... I understand... I'm sorry..." She whispered with a broken voice, leaving the room.

"No, wait Yoohyeon, that's not what I wanting to-" I started to say, following her but she started running. I tried to run after her but suddenly, a masculine voice stopped me in my tracks.

"Kim Minji!" I stopped right away, seeing Yoohyeon running out of the agency, sobbing loudly. At that moment, I just wanted to follow her and hug her tightly but I knew the consequences it could have and I couldn't risk it. "Waw, this one was really good! 'Why are you so selfish?', must have hurt like hell." He chuckled, coming to me with a smirk. I just wanted to rip it off of his face and run to Yoohyeon but I had to control myself.

"It's my personal life, it has nothing to do with you or the group." I said between gritted teeth.

"Really? So you think the mental state of this poor puppy won't affect her performances? I knew you couldn't take care of her correctly, she needs someone better for that, maybe a real man."

This ing threat again, what did he mean by that? But I didn't have the time to think about it as I saw red and felt my blood boil in my veins.

"Stop that!" I yelled at him. "I know how to take care of my girlfriend and, I swear, if I see you laying even one finger on her, you will regret it." I threatened him.

"You think so? Let me doubt it. What would you do?" He mocked me, still with a smirk on.

"I-"

"Anyways, if her capacities are affected, you will hear about me and I advise you to be careful." He stared at me with a black look. But I didn't care right now, I had to find Yoohyeon. I ran out of the agency but was once again stopped. "Jiu! Where do you think you're going? It's not time to leave, go to train!" He said strictly, leaving upstairs in his office.

**********

Luckily, Yoohyeon forgave me once again, but I felt like she wanted to break up with me. Siyeon was right, I had to start to change my way of acting with her, saying sorry wasn't enough. So, during the whole time of preparation for the comeback, I really paid attention to her, giving her time almost every day and being interested in what she was feeling. And at the same time, I tried to not upset Jaesung. Honestly, it was the hardest preparation I ever did, juggling my personal and professional life. But at least, I was doing a good job and I could see how happy was Yoohyeon and her smile was the only thing I needed.

The comeback went pretty well and the fans really loved our new album and title track. But Yoohyeon's clumsiness got the better of her and made her fall during a fansign. She was so ashamed of herself and just stayed on the floor, trying to keep her tears inside. I knew her, she was probably scared to disappoint the fans and to disappoint me. But at that moment, I was just worried about her. Our assistant manager came to check on her and hid her for a few seconds behind a banner to help her release the stress, letting a few tears out. After a bit, she came out and pretended to be okay in front of the fans, even if I knew she wasn't.

At the end of the fansign, we quickly waved goodbye to our Insomnias and went back to the changing room. And, as expected, Yoohyeon broke down.

"Hey, it's okay Hyeon, you did nothing wrong." I tried to reassure her, hugging her tightly.

She hugged me back and cried loudly in the crook of my neck until a doctor came to check on her. Luckily, she had nothing serious. But she still hit her knee pretty badly and needed a few days off, to rest a bit.

"Yoohyeon, I want to see you in 15 minutes in my office at the agency. Hurry." Jaesung ordered coldly, looking at her from head to toe. The same disgusted look he had for me when he reminded me my ual orientation. And those discussions always finished by 'Yoohyeon would be better with a real and strong man', so there was no way I was letting him see her alone.

"No, she has to rest, the doctor said it himself." I stood up between them. "She's going back home. If you have anything to say, tell it to me, I'm her leader."

He was looking at me with a black look, probably ready to yell at me and humiliate me in front of everyone. But he contained himself and took a deep breath.

"Okay, follow me. Now."

I quickly placed a kiss on Yoohyeon's forehead and followed him outside. This time, I couldn't refuse this, I probably angered him enough. I ran to catch up with him and entered in the inner courtyard of the building. He took a cigarette out and lit it, taking a long sip before spitting out the smoke.

"What was that?" He asked angrily, killing me with his eyes.

"What are you talking ab-"

"Do you think you can decide who I can yell at? Who do you think you are?" He said waving his cigarette a few inches away from my face.

"But she was hurt and just broke down, you-"

"Bull, you're just trying to protect her from me. But do you really think I'm the bad one in this story, Jiu? I'm trying to help your group here. You are the one preventing them from the success they deserve. Besides being useless, you're also a burden for them."

"I..." I didn't know what I could answer to that. He was right after all, I was blocking the whole group by trying to protect a stupid relationship. But this stupid relationship was one of the most important things in my life and I couldn't let go of it. I was just selfish and the members were paying the price for this.

"At least, try to be useful once in your life. I don't want anything like this to happen again. Do what you want I don't care, next time she messes up, she will deal with me directly. Is that clear?" He added.

"No, I can't let that ha-" I tried to say but was cut by a sudden pain in my shoulder.

"I said, is that clear?" He repeated, sticking his still-lit cigarette into my flesh, making me walk backward until my back hit the wall behind me.

"Yes, yes, it's clear." I quickly answered, not able to hold the pain anymore.

"Great! Now, go back to the agency to train a bit more with your members, I know you can do better. And I give Yoohyeon a half-day off, she goes back to training tomorrow morning." He added before going back inside, leaving me alone with a burning shoulder and a burning heart.

, how was I going to handle this?

**********

After a little more than a month, we left for the Bingo Music Festival in Vietnam and we were all so excited, it was the first time we were going to perform our new song 'You and I' in front of our international fans. As soon as we arrived there, we quickly went to the hotel to unpack our stuffs and left right away to the concert hall.

The girls finished to prepared themselves one by one and, once I was done myself, I gathered them to have an important talk.

"Girls, today is a really important concert, we have to be perfect. The fans will be everywhere around the scene so even if you think you're hidden, you're not, keep that in mind."

"Don't worry, bunny, we got this as always." Siyeon tried to reassure me.

But she couldn't know why I was so serious about it, she couldn't know that Jaesung was waiting for us to do any little mistakes to destroy her, and my shoulder still remembered it. So I had to push them to give their best without telling them why, I couldn't put them into this mess, I had to handle this alone, to protect them from him.

"No, not as always, that's the problem." I said, looking at Yoohyeon. She was the one I was really worried about, because I couldn't do anything for her anymore, next time, she was going to deal with Jaesung and I was scared of what could happen.

"Wh-What do you mean?" She asked.

"Last time was a fan meeting so it was okay to fall, but today, you can't do something like that."

"B-But, I didn't fall on purpose, you know that!... Right?"

"Yoohyeon, we can't afford a mistake like that in such an important festival, try to focus." I tried to motivate her.

"Unnie, careful." Siyeon said with a threatening tone, taking Yoohyeon's hand in hers. Why did she always have to interfere when I tried to do my leader's job?

"Siyeon, I'm the leader, I'm saying that for the group. We can't do any mistake of this kind here." I defended myself. But at that moment, Jaesung entered in the room, arms crossed on his chest and stared at Yoohyeon without taking his eyes off of her for a second. I had to quickly find a way to motivate her or it wasn't going to end well. "You wouldn't want to disappoint the fan, Yoohyeon, right?"

"Dreamcatcher, it's your turn in two minutes." Said a staff member, interrupting us.

We stood up and followed him, Yoohyeon's hand still in Siyeon's. I hoped everything was going to go well, otherwise I wished Siyeon could protect her because I couldn't anymore.

**********

After 10 minutes, we had finished our performance and headed back to the changing room, proud of what we did. And as planned, we were perfect and didn't do any mistakes.

"Good job everyone!" Congratulated Jaesung. "To celebrate this success, you are all invited to the restaurant tonight!" At those words, all the staff and members exclaimed with joy, big smiles on their face. Of course, nobody knew his real personality, he was playing the nice and generous manager that everyone liked. But at least, it meant that nothing was going to happen tonight and that I could just enjoy this evening with the staff and the members.

"Hum..." Siyeon interrupted them. "It's really nice of you but I can't. With Yoohyeon, we already planned a chill evening at the hotel watching movies. And you know how she is, those evenings are sacred to her."

What? My roommate and my girlfriend weren't coming with us? But I even wanting to take Yoohyeon out after the dinner, to have a moment just the two of us.

"Hyeon, you're not coming with us?" I asked a bit disappointed.

"No." She quickly answered. "I wanted to do this with Siyeon for a long time."

So she preferred spending time with Siyeon instead of me, her girlfriend? I was a bit sad but I could understand. In Korea, every time she had some time to hang out, it was always with me so it was normal to want to have an evening with a friend.

"Okay, I understand." I said. I quickly looked around, checking if Jaesung was somewhere but he wasn't there, probably out smoking. "See you tonight." I said with a smile, pecking her lips.

"Let's go, Yooh." Siyeon said, taking Yoohyeon's hand and pulling her to the exit. "I will drive us at the hotel, you can go to your restaurant directly." She said to the others, walking away. Yoohyeon waved goodbye at us and followed Siyeon out of the room.

**********

Honestly, I spent a really good evening, chatting happily with the staffs and the members and enjoying the food of the Japanese restaurant we chose. But it felt strange to not have Siyeon and Yoohyeon around, even Sua could feel their absence. So as soon as we finished, we thanked everyone and went back to the hotel.

But however, the Yoohyeon waiting for me in the room was a scared and trembling Yoohyeon, moved by my behavior of the afternoon. That was why she wanting to leave with Siyeon a few hours ago, she was scared to spend a whole evening with me. Every time I hurt her, I promised myself to be a better girlfriend but I always found a way to do worse than before. Nevertheless, I was able to reassure her and make her understand how much I loved her. She was everything to me, there was no way I was going to harm her.

And once again, she reminded how important I was to her and how much she trusted me, even suggested to go further in our relationship. Honestly, that was the best night I ever lived, not because I was finally making Yoohyeon mine, but because I could show her how much I loved her and at the same time, I could feel the trust she had in me. She made me feel as if I was the most beautiful person in the world and the way she looked at me made me completely fulfilled. She was really the only thing I needed in my life and nothing could ever take her from me.

But reality hit hard and I was soon going to discover that all good things must come to an end, even the ones we try to keep at all costs.

**********

The next morning, I woke up around 10am, feeling a weight on my chest. Yoohyeon was peacefully sleeping on me, her face hidden in the crook of my neck and her arms around my waist. Waking up with her next to me like this was the best thing I could wish for and seeing her beautiful face first thing in the morning was the best view I could get.

With some difficulties, I managed to gently move her to the side, putting the blanket on her body and admired her for a few more minutes. She was so beautiful, every little features of her face were a bless. I couldn't help but to put my hand on her face, following the shape of her jaw with the tip of my fingers. Why did I do to deserve a goddess like her? I slowly leaned in and gently touched her lips with mine before standing up to go to the bathroom. If only I knew it was the last time I was able to kiss her.

I entered in the bathroom, took a quick shower and did my skin routine before going back to the room, reaching for my phone on the bedside table. It was already 11am, I must have spent too much time admiring my beautiful sleeping beauty. I went to my notifications and saw I had one message unread that Siyeon sent me this morning at 10:23am.

'Hey bunny, did you sleep well? Please, join me in my room as soon as you see this message, Sua and I need to talk to you about something really important. And come alone, no need to bring Yoohyeon with you, let this poor puppy sleep a bit more.'

Damn, she sent this message more than half an hour ago, saying it was important. I took one last look at Yoohyeon and left the room, heading to Sua and Siyeon's one. I knocked on the door and after a few seconds, a loud little woman opened to me.

"Siyeona, Minji is here!" She yelled, letting me come in.

I entered in the room and was surprised by Siyeon who was doing her bed in a hurry. I looked around and saw that the other bed seemed like it hadn't been used, their suitcase even opened on it, as if it wasn't supposed to be used at all.

"One of you didn't sleep here?" I asked. But then I realized. One bed was undone and the other one looked like a war happened in it. Plus, I noticed that Siyeon and Sua were closer recently than before. I knew what happened here. "Oh no, please don't tell me you did it here." I said desperately.

"W-What are you talking about?" Siyeon stuttered, trying to hide her messy bed.

"I'm not stupid! Unless one of you slept on the floor and the other ran a marathon in this bed, only one thing could have happened!" I raised my voice.

"Yeah, we did it, okay!" Sua admitted, as Siyeon was hiding her face in her hands. "But don't tell the puppy, her innocent soul would be traumatized." At this comment, I wanted to laugh, remembering last night. But I wasn't going to talk about it, Yoohyeon would probably feel really embarrassed if Sua or Siyeon went to talk to her about it.

"No way! Are you two dating?" I asked excitedly.

Sua was about to answer but Siyeon cut her in her tracks, suddenly taking a serious tone.

"Girls please, we are not here to talk about it." She said, inviting us to sit. Sua took place next to her and I went on the neat bed, facing them.

"So what did you want to talk about with me? It looked urgent." I asked, going straight to the point.

"Break up with Yoohyeon." Answered Sua, almost as an order.

"Very funny, really." I faked laughed. "I can understand that, as a new couple, you want to be at the center of the group but don't worry, there can be two couples." I chuckled.

"It's not a joke unnie, I'm tired to do your job and take care of her as you should." Siyeon continued.

My smile faded and I started to wonder if it was really true or not. She would never dare to lead my relationship like this... right?

"Okay, that's not funny anymore, stop that." I said standing up, ready to leave their room.

"Minji, stay here, it's important." Ordered Sua.

I could always know when she was joking or not and now, she was deadly serious. So I took a deep breath and sat down, knowing I wasn't going to like what was coming.

"Did you talk to her yesterday evening?" Asked me Siyeon.

"Yes..."

"Did she tell you something?"

"Yes..."

"So you know what you're doing to her. You may love her more than anything, but you hurt her just as much. And even if she forgives you every time, you're destroying her little by little."

I wanted to answer but I didn't know what. She was right after all, I was just a poison love to Yoohyeon. Siyeon already warned me before and, even if I tried to apply her advice by changing my behavior, I kept hurting the one I loved.

"Minji, I know what she represents to you and I promise that you're as important as this to her too. But you have to let her go." Sua added with a soft voice. "Maybe fate didn't want you to be together."

She was right. No matter how hard I tried to change for her, I always ended up hurting her, as if the world was against our happiness. But suddenly, Sua's last sentence made me think about something.

"It's not fate that doesn't want us to be together, it's Jaesung." I said. He was the cause of most of our pain, even if I was the only one who knew this. At first, I didn't plan to tell it to anyone but now, I didn't have any choice, I needed to do everything I could to keep Yoohyeon.

"What do you mean?" Siyeon asked. I knew she was tired of my behavior with my girlfriend and just wanted us to break up, but she was always ready to listen to me and help me. After all, she was my best friend and nobody knew me as well as her.

I took a deep breath and told them what happened with him, struggling a bit to find the good words. I talked to them about the video, the insults and the way he he kept threatening Yoohyeon. I even told them about the cigarette episode.

"I'm going to kill this bastard." Siyeon said between gritted teeth, standing up.

"Wait wolfie, right now is not the time." Sua calmed her down, making her sit next to her. "Minji, I can understand why you did everything you did, and it excuses some things you did to Yoohyeon, but not everything."

"Yes, she's right." Siyeon agreed. "For example, when you said you didn't need her, or when you called her selfish, it had nothing to do with Jaesung."

, I did everything I could to convince them but even this didn't work, and I knew why unfortunately. I started to hurt her way before, at Minx already so Jaesung was just an excuse.

"Unnie, what he did is horrible, we need to tell this to our CEO." Suggested Siyeon.

"No!" I answered a bit too fast. Now, their eyes were on me, waiting for an explanation and I almost felt pressured by those questioning looks. "I... I can't let that happen. He would be fired and wouldn't hesitate to post the video everywhere online. My career would be destroyed, as well as Yoohyeon's and yours. People would spit on us and call us disgusting dyke, just like him."

"But that's your only chance to save your relationship with Yoohyeon! Without him, you wouldn't have all the stress and pressure he put on you and you could maybe take better care of your girlfriend." Said Siyeon with a hint of hope in her voice. She, who wanted so much to see me break up with Yoohyeon, was now trying to find a solution for me.

"I know..." I lightly nodded. But I really couldn't do that. I was too scared of the consequences, people judging me, humiliating me, insulting me, it was too much for me. No matter how much I loved Yoohyeon, I couldn't let him show my true side to the world and destroy my whole life.

"Minji, you have to make a choice now, your secret or Yoohyeon, you can't have both. And I can see that you already choose." Sua said, gently putting her hand on my shoulder. "But don't be ashamed of it, okay? I can understand why you choose this and I don't blame you, nobody does."

I knew Sua was always right but strangely, I couldn't fully believe her last sentence. Siyeon, who never hesitated to yell at me when I was hurting Yoohyeon was now helping me to finish her off?

"She's right, unnie." She answered to my question. "It's better to free her now that to chain her to you, making her suffer for something she's not even aware of."

After this talk, I knew what I had to do, but it was too hard, to give up on the happiness of my life. Second after second, my heart was tightening more and more and it was getting complicated to hold back my tears. But I did the choice myself, no one forced me. So now, I had to accept consequences.

Suddenly, my phone rang, taking me out of my thoughts. I just received a message from Yoohyeon.

'Hey love, I just woke up. Where are you?'

These few words were enough to make me break down. , she just opened to me yesterday night, fully trusting me and I was about to destroy her. Was there a monster worse than me? I was now crying uncontrollably, my heart burning my chest more than ever.

Siyeon quickly joined me on my side and hugged me tightly, gently caressing my back, trying to calm me down. But nothing could help me right now, I was choosing my career over the love of my life and I hated myself for that, but I couldn't do anything else. I called her 'selfish' when I was the one choosing herself, breaking others at the same time. I was inconsolable when the worst was not yet over.

"Will you take care of her after?" I asked to Siyeon with a breaking voice, after a few minutes in her comforting arms.

"Of course I will." She answered, gently caressing my hair.

"And... will you help her to move on?" I asked in a whisper. It was so painful to think that she had to forgive me and move on from me when it wasn't even finish yet.

"Don't worry unnie, I will always be here for her... and for you too." She smiled at me. "You are my best friend, Minji, I will always be here for you too. I will help you as much as you helped me since we met each other. We've always been there for each other so I'm not going to stop today" She kissed my cheek a few times.

"Hum..." Sua started. "I know it's really painful to talk about this but we have to discuss the way you will leave her. Except if you want to tell her the truth, but I don't think you want to, right?" My heart clenched at this sentence but I still managed to find the strength to shook my head, my voice being stuck in my throat. "Yoohyeon loves you too much to just accept a simple 'let's break up', you have to find something that will pull her away from you for good. Any idea?"

The only answer I was able to give her was more tears. At the moment, I couldn't think straight, trying to breath properly was already hard enough. But suddenly, an idea came to my mind.

"...Yubin..." I managed to say between two sobs.

"What's up with Yubin?" Sua asked me.

"Wait, let her breathe for a second." Siyeon defended me, hugging me tighter.

"When we were trainees... Yubin tell Yoohyeon that I was a playgirl and just wanted to play with her heart... and Yoohyeon believed it for some times, before she knew what I felt for her." I said, remembering this period.

"Yeah, good idea!" Sua agreed.

"No! Are you kidding me? Do you want to kill her maybe?" Siyeon yelled.

"Siyeon, you know it's the only way!" Sua argued. "We need something really strong to push her away for good, don't you agree?"

"Yeah... you're right..." Siyeon answered, as defeated as me.

"Okay so Minji, you will use this excuse. And try to not break down in front of her, even if it's easier said than done. She needs to believe it. Make it quick and after, come back here with your suitcase, Siyeon will change room with you to help her."

"And also unnie." The wolf-like girl added. "You need to promise us something."

Siyeon and Sua just called me in their room to ask me to break up with the girl I loved the most, to lie to her and now they asked me to make a promise. Honestly, I was scared of what it could be.

"Don't try to go back with her. We will try to help her to move on, but you have to promise not to do anything to make her get back together with you. Even if you think you changed, even if Jaesung leaves, even if she's asking for you. Your relationship is finished now."

As well as me. My heart seemed like it didn't want to work properly anymore, burning and tightening like it never had. If it was what I was causing to Yoohyeon, I could understand why Siyeon and Sua wanted me far from her. But it was still hard to say goodbye to the love of my life, sacrificing her for my career. I knew I was so wrong and so selfish but I couldn't help it. My heart and brain were split in two, even if I knew what I was going to do.

"So Minji, what do you say about that?" Sua took me out of my thoughts.

"Yes... I promise." I agreed, giving up on Yoohyeon for good.

**********

After I dried my tears and came back to my senses, I went back to Yoohyeon and I's room, being welcomed by a smiling puppy.

"Oh, hi Minji!" She said happily, standing up in a hurry. But she quickly calmed down, sitting back on the bed, probably because of her sore muscles from yesterday night. She then slowly came to me, her body surrounding in a blanket. This body that was all mine yesterday, felt now so far from me, so out of my reach. And it only made my heart clenched, making it so hard to break up with her. She stopped in front of me and leaned it to get her morning kiss but this time, I couldn't give it to her, I couldn't anymore. And the pain I could read on her face didn't help me. "Minji, are you okay?" She asked, putting her hand on my cheek.

But I grabbed her wrist before she could touch me. Her soft hand on my cheek would just make it impossible to me and I would just break down in front of her. , if only I could take her far from this world, just her and I, without any problem. But unfortunately, I couldn't and now, I had to destroy what we spent years to build. I raised my head and looked at her in the eyes, trying to show as little emotion as possible.

"Let's break up." I said, trying to keep my voice steady. But it was hard to stay emotionless, especially when I saw her expression, a mix between confusion and pain.

"W-What do you mean by 'break up'?" She asked, stuttering.

"It's finished between us, Yoohyeon." I answered, trying to look unaffected by the situation, when in fact I was suffering as much as her.

"Is it because... I wasn't good enough last night?" She asked again, with a sobbing voice.

"No." I answered right away. Of course it wasn't because of that. She was so amazing, and not because she was hot or anything like this, but because she wanted to show all the love she had for me in every little move. And I was almost hurt that she could think that of me, but in fact, I was going to destroy the image she had of me so it wasn't going to change something right now.

"Then tell me what is it!" She raised her voice and I could see she was fighting the tears, as much as I was.

"I don't think you're ready to hear it. Just accept it, Yoohyeon." I said, trying to avoid the excuse I prepared. Siyeon was right, it was going to break her more than ever. "I'm changing room with Siyeon, she will join you in a bit." I announced, going to my suitcase and packing my stuffs.

"Tell me now, for god's ing sake!" She yelled at me, now tears falling from her eyes.

"I'm done with you, Yoohyeon!" I said, standing up and facing her. I wasn't going to hold back for long, I had to finish this quickly.

"Wh-"

"I played enough with you. Now, I did what I wanted to do, so I'm done. I used you enough to have fun but it doesn't go any further. So let's break up." I lied, feeling like my heart was about to pop out of my chest in any second.

A heavy silent filled the room and I didn't dare to look at Yoohyeon, to ashamed of what I just said. I went to the exit, pulling my suitcase with me and opened the door, ready to leave. When suddenly, I heard something falling violently on the floor and a person behind me desperately gasping for air. I turned around and what I saw horrified me.

Yoohyeon was laying on the floor, a hand around , completely suffocating. Her face was full of tears and she was trying to take off some nonexistent things from her neck and bare chest. She was all curled up on the carpet of the room, even pushing back the blanket, trying by all means to find some air to fill her lungs.

"Sua! Siyeon!" I called the girls in the corridor, before running to Yoohyeon and taking her in my arms, not caring if I was touching her body. "Yoohyeon, please breathe!" I yelled at her, shaking her at the same time, now tears completely blurring my view. But nothing was working as it was getting worse and worse. "Yoohyeon, please don't leave me!" I pleaded her, now hugging her tightly, caressing her hair. I didn't know what was happening to her and I couldn't help but to think of the worst.

"Unnie, get out of here!" Siyeon yelled at me as she entered in the room.

"No, I don't want to let her." I cried, slowly rocking Yoohyeon in my arms.

"Unnie, now!" She repeated as she went to pick up the blanket on the floor and put it around the poor puppy, crouching next to her. "I will take care of her." She added, gently pushing me and taking her in her arms.

I was now sitting on the floor, frozen. Siyeon just needed a few seconds to calm her down and make her breathe again by gently hugging her and whispering comforting words while I was just useless and even created this mess. She was probably right after all, I never brought anything good to Yoohyeon, only pain and stress. She was the one brightening my every day while I was just destroying hers. I hated myself so much for what I did and my heart was punishing me, burning and clenching in my chest, as if someone was crashing it with fire.

"Minji, come with me." Sua softly told me, crouching next to me, her hand gently caressing my back.

I looked at the one whose heart I had just broken a few seconds ago and she wasn't moving anymore, still sobbing a little in Siyeon's arms.

"Don't worry unnie, I will take care of her from now on, just follow Sua." Her savior added, gently carrying Yoohyeon to the bed.

I was a real mess at the moment, not even having enough strength to stand up. Sua put her arms around my waist and help me up, guiding me out of the room. But on our way, we met a proud Jaesung heading to Yoohyeon's room, a smirk on his face. I just lost the war and he knew it.

**********

Luckily, I heard that Siyeon had the time to cover Yoohyeon and didn't hesitate to kick this jerk out of the room, calling a doctor instead. And for weeks, she managed to take care of her like I've never done before. Sua also tried to help me but I didn't deserve anything, I was the one who seriously messed up and I had to suffer alone, I didn't want to be a burden for the other members.

After some time, she started to talk to me again, acting as if nothing happened, as if we never shared this love we only had for each other. And every time she called me 'Jiu', it felt like a stab in the heart, remembering me that I lost her for good. At first, it was so difficult to speak with her as a leader and her member but our idol job forced us to, and the hardest was when we had to act cute together and pretend like we had a special relationship, holding hands and hugging each other. The most difficult for me was to let her go after while she just couldn't look at me without feeling sad or hurt.

But time has passed and she felt more at ease around me, as we started to have normal conversations and even have physical contacts again. And honestly, I missed her hugs more than anything so being able to touch her and sleep with her again warmed my cold heart, even if I knew nothing would ever happen between us again.

But despite everything I did to move on, my heart was still beating only for her.

 

 

**********

Hellooo! Did you miss me? Here, finally the 14th chapter and Minji's POV for what happened between her and Yoohyeon. What do you think about it? Did your opinion about her change?

Question of the chapter: What do you think of this story?

Also, thank you for the 1k reads, I'm so glad you enjoy this story!

Anyway, please know than English isn't my first language so I'm sorry if there are some mistakes... Please, let me know if you see some.

Thank you for reading!