Chapter Fifteen

Shriveled Raisin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You know you don’t have to go, right?” Jaejoong asked, a soft clue of concern was hinted in his voice.

Today was the dreadful day Yunho wished to skip over, the day of his sister’s wedding. No, of course he loved his sister. He loved her the most in the entire family simply because she genuinely understood him and even tried to help him back during their younger years.

However, attending the wedding would mean reuniting with all relatives who he had left before. These people had known of him as the son who ‘ran’ from home, without knowing why he did so. These people were the ones who simply thought Yunho was nothing but a stubbornly rebellious son while his mother was regarded as a truly loving parent. And in simpler words, Yunho would literally take over the dare of swimming in a pool of sharks rather than meeting with the people from his past.

 

Both Yunho and Jaejoong were inside the bedroom, preparing to attend the wedding. Yunho was facing the mirror, clothed in a formal black tuxedo. On the other hand, Jaejoong was underdressed but that was because the angel wouldn’t attend the wedding, or at least, not visibly. Yunho was styling his hair for the third time now as Jaejoong was helping him fixing his tie. The expression of reluctance mixed with tensed nervousness was blatant upon Yunho’s face.

“It doesn’t work like that, Jaejoong,” Yunho remarked, referring to the man’s previous statement. “I can’t just not come to a wedding, especially if it is a close member’s event. In fact, I am okay with my sister.”

“Would you want me to accompany you later? I can disguise as an old friend of yours or something,” Jaejoong suggested as he finally stepped back, worriedly staring at the man especially since Yunho had spent the entire day being anxious waiting for the clock to strike evening.

Yunho smiled a little as he placed the comb on the table. Then he looked at the angel next to him. “I’ll be alright,” he politely refused.

“Regardless, I am coming with you tonight. But like, invisible. Would that be fine?” Jaejoong asked, his irises sparkled hopefully.

“Yeah, sure. I would love that,” Yunho flashed a grin as he nodded.

 

Today was one of the days where Yunho eventually had no other options but to drive his car. He couldn’t risk losing anymore image by taking a taxi to the venue, especially when he was certain most of his families and relatives were either curious to see how the infamous rebellious son’s life turned out, or they were already informed by his mother that Yunho didn’t do much well being a hotel receptionist. He needed to prove to them that he at least owned a car, and a brand-new tuxedo. As much as he hated how his mother complained to him to wear ‘fancy’ clothing for the wedding, Yunho couldn’t help but to end up buying a new one.

 

The drive to the venue took around an hour. Yunho deliberately took on long roads simply to delay his arrival, yet a part of him convinced him to drive faster to avoid possibly being the centre of attention for being the last family member to arrive. Jaejoong was inside the car with him on the passenger seat. For the first few moments, the angel tried easing the tensed atmosphere by cracking jokes and having a small chat. Yet, it was soon clear to both men that all Yunho needed right now was a peaceful moment of silence to ease his anxiety. Driving straight to the venue was like a journey in Hell for Yunho, knowing he would soon meet up with the people he wanted to avoid the most, or rather, feared.

Upon arriving to the location, a sight of the parking lot being totally swarmed by many other cars was the first one greeting Yunho’s eyes. He had to drive around the lot several times in the search of an empty spot. The more he spent in the car, the more he grew anxious each time he glanced at the massive banquet hall standing proudly on the ground. Groups of guests already strode inside the venue and Yunho was glad that he had bought a new tuxedo since most of the people he saw were completely formally dressed, fabulously. Yunho wasn’t sure what the dress code actually was but for the first time in his adult life he was quite relieved to have listened to his mother’s advice of telling him to wear better suits.

 

Yunho thanked himself that he had come early since the moment he managed to rush his car inside an empty spot he had already spent around 20 minutes, which could be worse if he were to arrive late.

Being inside the car, despite already claiming a parking spot, Yunho instead rested his back against his leather seat. His body appeared drained and weary, his face already showed hints of uneasiness, and unknown to him his hands trembled. Yunho constantly stared at the entrance of the banquet hall, observing the guests walking up the carpeted stairs as he nervously gulped. Jaejoong, being the one who sat next to his seat, saw everything. A worried frown appeared on the angel’s face as he slowly reached out to hold one of Yunho’s shaking hands.

“I’ll be next to you all the time,” Jaejoong softly spoke as he tightened the hold he had on Yunho’s hand.

“I know,” Yunho said before facing the male. “And don’t leave me.”

Jaejoong smiled reassuringly as he squeezed the other’s hand. “We’ll walk there whenever you are ready,” he said.

Yunho didn’t look assured, however. There was still concern lingering in his restless pupils. “Yet what should I do if those people… talk about me? What if they will shame me?” he asked almost stammering, voice a little bit unstable.

Jaejoong nodded at him. “Just hold my hand under the table, or anywhere you need me. I’ll stand by you,” he whispered softly before delivering another comforting smile.

Yunho at first didn’t look as convinced, but slowly he sent a smile back at the angel as he nodded. “Okay, we’ll go,” he told.

 

The banquet hall itself was glorious and enormous. Its walls were decorated with brilliant marbles in white, layered by luxurious sets of hanging lamps in various shapes where some even radiated starry sparkles. Rows and rows of expensive water walls acted as guiding fences towards the entrance where the water cascading was accompanied by alternating lights of rainbow. The cornices of the ceiling were carved into little statues, as if they were heavily inspired from decors of the historical past.

Large pillars stood of synchronised distances between each other alongside the carpeted walkway in the middle of the stairs all the way towards the entrance. Stylish flowery vines were spiralled around each gigantic pillar, adding a touch of greenery to the overall modern and lavish design of the entire banquet hall.

Yunho had to line up among the invited guests. He had to lower his head down, only focusing on the path ahead of him as an attempt to not be recognised by familiar faces. He knew he would soon be noticed by relatives, but he didn’t wish to deal with them right now.

 

The moment he stepped inside through the entrance Yunho was immediately greeted by what he thought an obvious sudden change of atmosphere. It was intensely hectic inside the banquet hall. The noises of guests talking to each other combined with the unnecessarily loud music being played live by a random band on the stage ahead. This was different than how calmly quiet it was outside just few seconds ago.

Yunho stood there in the middle of the walkway as soon as he entered the venue. Eyes widened and mouth agape as he stared in horror at the ridiculous high numbers of guests inside the hall. And to make things worse, he felt like he was alone and that he really shouldn’t be here at all. Suddenly his hands started to tremble uncontrollably and his legs felt wobbly. The air inside the hall was comfortably cold but regardless he could feel small beads of sweat rolling down his temples.

Eyes wildly observing the people inside the venue. There were just so many of the guests and Yunho easily felt overwhelmed. He wasn’t really a people person but he could just manage himself quite well when it came to interacting with strangers, especially when it was under the context of doing his job. However, right now, the more familiar faces he saw the more Yunho regretted to ever step inside this hall. Suddenly he felt all small inside this huge, huge, hall.

Trying to distract himself, he cranked his neck upwards in order to avoid seeing humans. Yet when he saw the ceiling, he felt even smaller. The entire banquet hall was visibly tall from outside yet it appeared taller inside, especially when the brightly white ceiling arched like in an oval shape, encaging all guests beneath. Yunho gulped as he could physically feel his throat drying up so fast.

I shouldn’t be here.

I can’t do this.

I am a failure.

And then suddenly, a voice was heard.

 

“Yunho?” a familiar male voice startled Yunho out of his panicking state, causing him to frantically look for the speaker.

And when he saw the man, Yunho’s back straightened in an instant. There he was, the man about in his late 50s standing in a rather smart-looking tux, yet with his clothed guts hanging out beyond his waistband. The man was one of his uncles. One of the people who he wanted to avoid meeting with. One of the people who knew of his past.

“You came?” the uncle asked, sounding genuinely surprised.

“Uh, yeah,” Yunho answered hesitantly, forcing up a small grin upon his lips as he himself was uncertain as to whether his presence would be accepted in this venue or not.

The aged man in front of him remained wordless for a few moments. Yunho kept on glancing elsewhere, fully aware of his uncle’s eyes roaming his entire figure, probably observing or something. Yunho was preparing himself to be kicked out of the hall and if that would happen, he knew he would be totally ashamed but he would also be glad as staying inside the banquet hall was never a thing he wished to do. However, something different happened instead.

 

Yunho winced a bit when his uncle all of sudden raised his arm. He expected a painful slap but all the aged man did was to land a playful pat on his shoulder before sending a nod of approval, followed by a… proud smile? His uncle let out a chortle as he continued patting Yunho’s shoulder.

“My, it’s been years since I last saw you around!” the uncle said with a laugh. “Now, look at you tall and healthy. I still remember the little Yunho playing in the backyard. It’s really been years…”

Yunho was surprised to see this kind of positive reaction from a relative, especially given how almost everyone was informed by his mother that he ‘ran’ from home rebelliously. He was expecting at least a lecture from his uncle since he was one of the closest relatives yet seeing his uncle being this sincerely glad to see him again, Yunho was almost left stunned.

He just showed a shy smile as he continued staring at his uncle. The man’s face was lined with obvious wrinkles and some strands of his hair were dipped in white. Yunho remembered the days when his uncle was not an elderly but a reliable, independent strong man who often visited his farm in his rusty truck, and gave extra fruits to the family. Yunho remembered the days when he and other kids would excitedly rush to his uncle’s truck before hopping onto its back, asking to be brought to the city. Yunho remembered the days when his uncle would take the village kids to the river and they all would spend the entire afternoon fishing, or if the weather got too hot, swimming.

Suddenly, Yunho remembered all these, and it was as if the bad parts of his past simply vanished, easily being replaced by the good ones. He was speechless.

“Come on now, let’s get you a seat,” it was his uncle’s voice that brought him out of the sudden flashbacks and Yunho was feeling a bit confused as to why he began to feel this odd sense of… guilt.

 

Squeezing his way through the horde of standing guests, Yunho slightly struggled to follow his uncle’s lead especially since he had to quicken his pace, carefully not to stumble upon a stranger and probably make a ruckus, and to lower his head not wanting to be noticed by any other relatives. His uncle might be surprisingly kind enough to welcome him, yet he wasn’t sure how others would react to seeing him after years.

Yunho managed to take quick glances of his surrounding as he swiftly paced up after his uncle ahead. Whoever designed and decorated the entire venue did a pretty splendid job. The mixed themes of modern and luxury were kept stagnant inside the banquet hall. The tables were topped by white silk, bordered by lines of glittering gold. The tall windows of the hall were layered by drooping silver curtains, dotted by tiny sparkles of perhaps replicas of diamond. Hanging fairy lights acted as chandeliers illuminating from the ceiling. The roof itself was entirely glass so the starry night sky above was a wonder to stare at. The floor, just like outside, was carpeted red. Vases of vibrant flowers stood proudly on each side of the lavish walkway all the way towards the massive stage ahead. Truth to be told, Yunho was completely impressed.

 

“Here we are, a nice spot. Closer view to the stage too,” his uncle spoke, stopping Yunho from marvelling towards the interior of the banquet hall.

His uncle had found them both a suitable table. It was a circular table surrounded by few seats. By the look of it, this one specific table and few others that were nearby appeared to be decorated more lavishly than the ones for the other guests. Yunho’s best assumption was that these tables were specifically reserved for closest family members and relatives. Yunho gulped upon realising that he was now being surrounded by people who knew him.

Quietly following his uncle to an empty seat, Yunho could feel eyes were on him. The moment he stepped inside the vicinity of the table, he heard audible gasps from the people who were already seated around the table. Some whisperings were also heard, and Yunho could easily tell that all those heated soft discussions were about him. Yunho tried his best to keep a solid face as he eventually sat down to his uncle who he glanced at, didn’t appear to be troubled over the blatant gasps and whispers.

 

“Jung Yunho?” it wasn’t even a second after Yunho had settled on his chair that another aged man asked him straight away.

Yunho was about to open his mouth to speak for himself, yet his uncle was the one who responded first.

“Yep, our Yunho the one and only,” the man answered as he patted Yunho’s shoulder in a proud gesture. “Look at how tall this boy has become. I still remember him running with the other kids back then.”

It appeared like Yunho’s uncle was the only one who appeared genuinely glad to see him back, especially with the sincere smile he had. However, the rest of the relatives weren’t so welcoming. Yunho didn’t know how to react when most of them either leered at him intimidatingly or sneered at him. Some even scowled at him while the rest grimaced their faces, showing disgust. Yunho suddenly felt defensive and if he could, he would curl into a ball just right now. Their scornful eyes reminded him of the times when he was disturbed by his colleague. He just wanted to go home now.

 

“Hmph! I am even surprised he is brave enough to show his face here after being such an ungrateful son,” a woman spoke in a posh manner, yet belittlingly. “What kind of a son that leaves his mother sobbing alone? To think that she has sacrificed everything only for him to run away, mannerless.”

Yunho’s uncle was quick to clear his throat, yet he remained calm and collected. He chortled casually. “Now, now. No need for such harsh words. What’s important right now is that everyone is finally here to celebrate today’s blissful wedding. Past mistakes shall be learned from, not be stuck upon,” he kindly advised.

Yunho lowered his eyes as he remained quiet. It wasn’t a ‘past mistake’. It’s a desperation to quit and leave.

Another man leaned forward from his chair. He sent a curious glare where his sharp raven irises sparked menacingly.

“You have been quite an adult yourself, and that tux appears acceptable,” he commented. “I supposed you get yourself a decent job, yes?”

This question caused Yunho to widen his eyes. Not that he didn’t expect it, but rather, he simply wasn’t prepared. He knew just exactly the kind of reaction these so-called relatives would display upon hearing his career, yet he wasn’t certain if he was able to handle their disdain later on.

 

Yet when Yunho noticed that everyone around the table was all staring at him with anticipation, he had to swallow the bitter taste accumulating on his tongue.

“I am… a hotel receptionist,” he slowly answered, and he was ready to hear complaints.

The immediate change of expression from his relatives’ faces was more than obvious. Their initial piqued interest was completely replaced by clear display of disgust and mockery. Some sighed loudly and shook their heads exaggeratedly while some snickered. Even his trusted uncle showed a small hint of disappointment where his once wide smile faltered.

“That’s what you get for hurting your mother’s feelings,” the same lady as previously remarked. “I heard you used to stay with several friends. You have an unstable life, aren’t you? If you kneel in front of your mother perhaps you can have a better life.”

A part of Yunho was forced to submission as his heart constricted in pain. The looks of disappointment showed to him didn’t do much other than reminding him just how of a failure he was. They all looked the same as to the day when his mother slapped him in the face for him failing his class test. That was his first failure and that was the moment when his mother altered from a maternal figure to a witch who was hungry for prestige and lavish lifestyle. Yunho didn’t know what

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter