Part III

The Crying Closet

Jimin's body tensed up, her hands becoming fists of anger and her jaw locking. What was she doing there? Did she follow Minjeong again? Should Jimin step in? She felt like she had no right to, and decided to glare at her instead, her eyes burning holes through her annoying, pleading face at Minjeong.

But when she took a step closer and held onto her arms, making Minjeong flinch and close her eyes while shaking her head, she couldn't stand it anymore. Jimin's legs took a couple of big steps, her hand gripping the woman's shoulder.

"Let go of her," Jimin said.

Both Minjeong and her ex looked her way, Jimin not knowing which of the two looked more surprised. Minjeong's ex stared back at her, eyebrow high. She scoffed.

"I have no idea who you are, but you should stay away from other's business."

"Not when it's about Minjeong. Let go of her, I said. Don't you see you're scaring her?"

"Listen here, brat, you take your hands from me-" She did let go of Minjeong, but to reach for Jimin's shirt.

Jimin was faster and without even breaking the staring contest, she grasped her arm, stopping her. "Good. Now get out. And leave Minjeong alone, once and for all."

Minjeong's ex frowned so hard Jimin gulped, fearing for a second she would get hit.

"No, really, who the do you think you are?! Get the away, you don't know a thing-"

"I actually do. So please don't embarrass yourself more and just leave," Jimin pressed, fighting her trembling knees.

She scoffed again, shaking her head.

"Embarrassing? You're the one embarrassing me, you're causing a ing scene in here." She gritted between her teeth, approaching Jimin.

"S-Stop!" Minjeong cried.

"Please leave," Jimin repeated.

"I will not!"

"You will," Heejin's voice sounded at their side. "If you want to continue with that, do so outside. You're in a coffee shop, this is not the place for that."

And only now Jimin noticed how literally everyone inside stared at them. Some whispered among themselves, others stared as if they were watching a movie.

"Let go of her, Jimin," Heejin said.

After one more glare at her, Jimin released the grip she still had on her arm. "You heard her. The door is right there."

The woman shook her head, eyeing Jimin and Heejin before turning to Minjeong. She recoiled automatically. "Let's go outside then-"

"She will not go anywhere. Leave, please, before I need to call my boss," Heejin said, pointing at the door.

Jimin widened her eyes at her best friend.

The woman opened , looked around at everyone's eyes on her, then at Minjeong again, maybe expecting her to tell her to stay, or to show signs that she wanted to go with her. But Minjeong kept looking down, and the sight hurt more on Jimin's chest than any punch.

Finally, and without another word, she stomped outside, but not before throwing Jimin a deadly glare. One that Jimin could almost hear a 'this doesn't end here', but she wasn't afraid.

"I deeply apologize for what happened," Heejin said, her voice louder, as she bowed to all her sides.

Minjeong dropped her body to the couch and buried her face in her hands.

"I'll go get your food now, sit with her," Heejin said near Jimin's ear.

"Thank you, Heejin. For real."

"Don't mention it." Heejin smiled as she rushed behind the counter, where her co-worker still stood frozen in place.

Jimin sat in front of her. "Hey," she softly called, reaching to rub her arms. "You're okay now. She's gone."

As if still scared, Minjeong lowered her hands, revealing her teary eyes. Heejin left the tray with their food without a word and got back to work.

"Eat, it will make you feel better." Jimin placed the plate with her tonkatsu sandwich in front of her.

"I'm sorry," Minjeong said, her voice so low Jimin barely heard her among the voices in the background.

"Why are you apologizing? You did nothing wrong. How did she know you were here? Did she follow you?"

"She said she found me by chance and couldn't not come and talk to me, but I don't know if that's the truth."

Jimin clenched her jaw. "Are you okay? Did she hurt you?"

"I'm okay. And..." Minjeong rose her head, meeting Jimin's eyes. "Thank you, Jimin. For real."

If they were in some other place, in the crying closet for example, who knows what Jimin would have done. Held her hands? Hugged her? Kissed her? All of that crossed her mind, but for now, she chose the first option.

"I didn't know if I should step in or not, but I couldn't not. Not after I know what she did to you," Jimin said, eyes down at how perfectly their hands fit into each other.

"I'm really glad you did. I was honestly scared. I didn't think she would cause a scene in a public place like this."

"She won't do this again. And if she tries," Jimin squeezed her hands, looking up at her eyes now. "I'll be there for you."

Minjeong smiled, and Jimin could breathe again.

Jimin couldn't say she wasn't surprised and happy that on the next day, Minjeong showed up at the library again. She greeted her, but didn't stop to make small talk. Jimin observed as she sat at the same table as the day before and took Children of Blood and Bone to keep reading. Jimin widened her eyes as she noticed how she had read more at home, and she was maybe a hundred pages in already. Was she enjoying the book that much? Or was it because she wanted to read Jimin's stories that badly? Or maybe both.

And just like the previous day, Minjeong waited until Jimin closed the library to walk outside with her, to talk more about the book.

That was how their week went by, and by Friday, Minjeong stopped in front of Jimin's desk with a smirk and hand extended.

"Finished it. Now, where can I read your stories?"

Jimin eyed the book and Minjeong. She stood up, without knowing how to react. Of course that moment would arrive. She would eventually finish reading the book, and Jimin did agree that she could read some of her stories when she did so.

"There's a sequel," Jimin said. "And I wanna know your opinion on the book now that you finished it."

"That's for later. I want your stories now, Jimin."

With a sigh, Jimin giggled. "Alright. Give me your phone."

Minjeong irked an eyebrow, but didn't ask, and complied. Jimin opened the browser and after a search and a few clicks, she handed the phone back. "There's my account. My stories are all there. Have fun."

As if accepting the most precious, valuable jewel of all time, Minjeong grabbed her phone, sparkling eyes at the screen.

"Holy . Over twenty stories?! Are you serious?" Minjeong's chin could reach the floor.

"The majority are short stories. Don't get too happ-"

"They have so many views and comments and likes!" Minjeong's eyes couldn't get any bigger as she scrolled down. "And your username is aeKarina?" Now there was a hint of tease in her voice. “What does it mean?”

"Ae is like, virtual, you know? And Karina is just a name I like. Like a pen name."

"Your future writer's name, yes, I get it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in my usual spot reading some masterpieces."

"You have your expectations way too high, you'll get disappointed."

"I won't." Minjeong smiled on her way to her table, one that made Jimin's knees so weak she had to sit back on her chair.

Only Heejin and Jinsol knew about her writing account. Not like she didn't trust her other friends, but... She was still embarrassed about showing her stories to more people. Maybe they wouldn't even read them, but in case they decided to.

But Minjeong was different. The way she sounded so excited, and Jimin could see it was genuine. She still didn't quite know why she wanted to read them so bad, but she couldn't deny her that.

Jimin studied Minjeong's reactions as she scrolled down her phone, wondering which one of her stories she was reading. Minjeong was focused, smiling here and there, but never taking her eyes off her phone.

The time to close the library came, and with it, a knot on Jimin's stomach. What would Minjeong say about her stories?

"Why don't you have a published book, really?" Minjeong asked as they left.

"Why would I?"

Minjeong threw her a judgmental look, as if Jimin should know the answer to that.

"Because your writing is amazing, and your stories, and your characters, and everything is so well made?" Minjeong shook her head. "I only read one short story, and even though I want to read everything, I had to start Blood and Silver. I mean, an enemies-to-lovers vampire story? Only read the first few chapters and I love it already. The way you set the story right from the start, and introduce the characters and the conflict... For real, why isn't this a published book instead of a free story online?"

Jimin blinked, not knowing exactly how to respond to all of that. Sure, she received a lot of nice comments, but... hearing that from Minjeong hit differently.

"Because I'm still practicing and finding my own style and developing my skills. I like to write stories for fun and free for people to read them."

"But don't you want to be a published author?"

"Yeah, one day. Eventually. When I think I'm ready to write an actual book."

They went down the stairs and straight to the main entrance. It wasn't raining that day, unlike all other days of that week. Minjeong didn't say anything else, but Jimin could feel her eyes on her. She pulled the zipper of her bomber jacket up until her neck as they stepped outside, and looked at Minjeong.

"What?"

"You're scared."

Jimin frowned. "Of what?"

"Trying it for real. Treating a story as a real book, instead of just another story you wrote for fun and practice."

"I..." Jimin wanted to say she was not scared. "Maybe you're right."

"Why, though? What exactly are you afraid of? You're already a writer. You write stories. Why would it be different to write a book? It still is a story."

"I know. I know that." Jimin sighed. "But... the pressure to do good. For it to turn out good enough to be a book."

"Then just treat it as a story you would write to put up online."

Jimin chuckled. "I don't think it's that easy. But thank you, Minjeong. For some time I’ve been thinking about a story that could possibly be my first book. But it's so overwhelming, the number of things I need to think about and work on. I get lost in everything and end up not making progress. So yes, I am afraid of not being able to make it and messing everything up. Also, everything that comes with it, creating a platform, promoting myself, getting people to be interested in my book. Not to mention actually submitting the book to publishers, and the amount of rejections I'll get." Jimin sighed, but there was still more she wanted to rant about. "I have actually lots of free time at work. I work at a university library, for 's sake. It's silent all the time, the perfect place to work on it. But even if I have time, it's like I... can't. I can't bring myself to sit still and focus on my story. And then I feel bad about it, because I'm wasting time that I could be using to produce, and I wonder what the I'm doing with my life."

There was silence for a bit. Jimin stared at her feet walking on the dry pathway through campus, her hands deep inside her bomber jacket pockets. She didn't expect to open up like that to Minjeong. She barely acknowledge that to herself, and maybe not even Heejin ever heard that from her. But somehow, it was just so easy to tell Minjeong about her fears. Almost like she expected her to cheer her up, to encourage her somehow.

Minjeong took a couple of large steps to stand in front of Jimin, making her stop in her tracks and almost bump into her. Minjeong's small hands gripped Jimin's arms, barely, more onto her jacket, and Jimin had never seen her expression so serious before.

"Jimin. I know it's scary, it's a lot of pressure, it's a lot to think about. But it's part of the process. You need to embrace that feeling to be able to overcome it. Imagine how you'll feel when you succeed! You'll look back at how much you overcame, how hard you fought and worked, until you finally did it. Even if it takes longer than you wanted, I know you will do it. And I'll be so proud of you. Yes, because I will be there. And I'll tell you, ‘see, I told you.’"

Minjeong finished her discourse with a smile. But Jimin couldn't properly see it with the sudden tears clouding her eyes. This time, she would choose the second option. Taking a step closer, Jimin circled her arms around Minjeong's shoulders, pulling against her.

"I didn't know I needed that." Jimin sniffed. "Thank you."

Arms s around Jimin's waist, underneath her bomber jacket, and Jimin wanted to stay like that for as long as possible.

"I doubt myself all the time. Will I be able to succeed? Will I be able to get out there with my writing? Is it relevant for anyone, will anyone at all be interested?" Minjeong said.

Jimin frowned, and pulled away just enough to look at her. "Wait, what? You want to be a writer as well?"

"Journalist, reporter, something like that. Yes, I want to write, just not exactly fantasy books."

Sniffing again, Jimin cleaned her eyes. "I didn't know. You read my stuff, it's only fair I read yours too."

"Aren't articles about random stuff boring to you?"

"No. Especially if you wrote them. What do you like to write about?"

"A bit of everything, actually. But mostly our society, the world, what's wrong and what could change."

"Damn." Jimin's chin hung. "I'm hugging the next big controversial reporter that will change how people think and see our world."

"And I'm hugging the next super best seller with her books being translated to dozens of languages and sold all over the world."

Jimin's lips stretched into a silly grin, and Minjeong matched it with a light giggle.

When did they get so comfortable with each other? Jimin didn't know, but she didn't want it any other way.

Okay, she did. She wanted more. But for now, still being that close to Minjeong in the middle of campus, not giving a if anyone passed by or stared was more than enough.

"And then... I kissed her."

Jimin almost choked on her hot chocolate.

"You... You? YOU kissed her?!" Jimin's chin could reach the floor.

"I did! And she kissed me back!" Heejin hid her face in her hands, but then stared at Jimin again, eyebrows drawn together. "Aren't you proud of me? You should be!"

"I am!" Jimin laughed. "I really am, Heejin. You kissed your damn crush, Kim Hyunjin."

"I don't think... it's a mere crush, Jimin." Heejin faced ahead, at the void, with a small smile lingering on her lips. "I really like her. Like, really. I love her. I love Hyunjin."

Jimin took her hot chocolate to her lips, taking a sip while staring at Heejin. "How do you know? How do you tell it apart?"

"I just do." Heejin shrugged. "There's nothing specific. But the moment we kissed, I knew it."

"What now? Did you just kiss, or are you actually dating?"

The smile became an ear to ear grin as Heejin seemed to relive some recent memories in her mind. "She asked me. She said she had always liked me, but also didn't have the courage. But after I kissed her, she asked me to be her girlfriend. So, yes, your best friend is officially dating the girl of her dreams."

"Damn... who knew Jeon Heejin would really be the one taking the first step. Congrats. You deserve it. Hyunjin better treat you well."

Heejin scoffed. "Or else what, will she face the terrible wrath of the tsundere Yoo Jimin?"

"You know I would throw hands."

"So would she if anyone messed with me, so, you don't really have to worry. Even before this happened, she was very protective of me. I guess that was her way of showing that she likes me."

Taking another gulp of her hot drink, Jimin pondered about Heejin's words.

"You're thinking about how that's also your way to show Minjeong you like her."

"Yep, exactly."

Heejin took a hand to her chest. "Wow, not even fighting back or denying it?"

"Nop. I guess that your sudden courage towards Hyunjin is spreading to me."

"Then do something about it! And you're welcome."

Jimin's phone had been showing some message notifications for the past five minutes that she was blatantly ignoring. But she couldn't when Jinsol suddenly called her.

"She's working, why is she calling me?" Jimin frowned.

"I don't know, take it."

Nodding, Jimin accepted the call. "Yes?"

"I think Minjeong went to the crying closet," Jinsol's voice was but a whisper.

Jimin's eyes went huge. "What?!"

"I'm not sure, but she just entered the library and went straight there."

"Was she crying?"

"I don't know, I could barely see it was her. But I recognized the hair and the bag you described the other time. I sent you tons of messages but you weren't replying!"

"I'm with Heejin at the café. I'm going there now. Thank you, Jinsol."

"Run."

Jimin jumped on her feet and hurried to put on her jacket.

"What happened?"

"Minjeong in the crying closet. I need to go see what happened." Jimin rushed to the door.

"Jimin." Heejin grabbed her arm before she could storm outside. "Bring the courage with you."

She didn't know why, but the way Heejin said that, the choice of words, and how serious she looked, made Jimin chuckle.

"I think I know what you mean."

---

A/N: No, that story Minjeong read is absolutely not a reference to my own 2jin enemies to lovers vampire au, noooooooo...... And Jimin's fears are totally not mine........ :sob: for real now, I remember when I was writing that scene, it literally felt like I was having a conversation with myself. Like the scared me against the courageous me lmao but it did the trick!!!!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, the next one is already the last one!!! Thank you for the support and see you in the next and final chapter! 

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic