fin.

faded. (jmj ver.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjeong could hardly remember how she and Jimin became close. Sure, their class from 1st to 6th grade had the relationship of like a family - even their parents have their own group chat, but still they belong to different groups of friends.

One of the few things she remembers is how she used to be so intimidated by Jimin. It's funny, she knows. Jimin was kind of famous. She dances well and the whole school knows her for it. Jimin and her group of friends are a bunch of pretty girls too. But that was not just what used to intimidate Minjeong. They had fights just because Jimin loves teasing her close friends (Minjeong was lowkey glad she was considered as one). It sounded petty but she couldn't help it when Jimin always chooses her as the victim of those scary videos on her phone.

 

"Stop!"

"Why?? Look, it's funny!"

"It's not! That thing isn't funny!"

"Hey, don't cry. I was just teasing you."

"I told you to stop. It's scary!"

"Okay. You were just so cute. I won't do it again. I'm sorry Minjeongie."

"Leave me alone."

"Hey…"

"If you'll just keep on scaring me, then find another friend!"

"I don't want to find another friend. I promise I won't do it again. I'm sorry Minjeongie. Forgive me, hmm?"

 

She tried so hard to rack her brain of how and why but all she could remember is suddenly, they were each other's best best friend (because as kids they find almost everyone their best friend). Suddenly, they were inseparable. Suddenly, it's not just Minjeong, or just Jimin… it's Minjeong and Jimin.

 

"Oh no! I'm so sorry Minjeong!" Jimin panics as the drink she spilled on their table slowly drips to Minjeong's costume.

They were attending a special Christmas party for the few students who volunteered to teach kids younger than them.

"It's okay. It was an accident." Minjeong smiles and just continues to wipe her skirt with some tissue.

"What should I do? Your costume is ruined now."

"It's okay, Jimin-ah. It's just on the hem of my--"

But Jimin's already on her feet, trying to wipe her tears as she runs to the comfort room. Minjeong follows but she doesn't run. She wants to let Jimin calm down a bit before approaching her again.

"You okay now?"

Jimin lifts her head and sees Minjeong in the mirror. Minjeong was smiling, obviously unbothered by the stain and it made Jimin tear up again.

"Hey, I told you it's fine."

And when Jimin keeps sniffing, her head down, Minjeong steps closer and quietly places the necklace she bought just for Jimin.

"What's this?"

Minjeong locks the necklace and smiles, before revealing the one she has around her neck, both simple but special silver rings.

"It's a friendship ring. Can also be a necklace, see? I saved up since I want to give you something before we graduate."

"Minjeong…"

"Merry Christmas, Jiminnie. Please don't cry anymore."

 

-

 

January 1, 2015

Sat 6:15 am

 

Jimin

Happy birthday Minjeong! I’ll be always here for you

just like how you are to me. You know when you talked

to that girl who played a prank on me because I got hurt!

I’ll do that too for you! You’re still my best best friend!

Miss you and love you! See you soon, please <3”

 

Minjeong

Thank you, Jimin.

Love you, always.

 

***

 

Minjeong is nervous, though. Well, she is always nervous when it comes to meeting people (yes, even her friends). She has to meet with her old classmates, just a simple reunion, but she's extra nervous today because she's sure Jimin will be there. (Jimin who rarely responds to their messages and sometimes says she’s too busy to come). All of them do not meet often, usually just a few times a year. And everytime it happens, whenever she’s sure a specific someone will be there, the same thoughts and memories play in Minjeong's mind, making her both excited and nervous. (Explains why she’s recalling all of these right now).

Minjeong sadly smiles at how the word ‘best friend’ automatically connects to Jimin. Calling someone you don't even talk to anymore as your best friend sounds skeptical to people, but to Minjeong, it never changed. No matter how long they do not talk or see each other, Jimin is someone very very special to her. Someone who could easily dive into Minjeong's deepest self (if she asks to) and Minjeong won't ever be afraid of getting judged because it's Jimin. She knows Jimin never will.

And because of that, Minjeong feels sorry for herself for still not being able to let go of someone she doesn't know if they still care for her. Jimin is special to her but she doesn't know if she is still special to Jimin.

As they grow up, they all try to keep in touch, sometimes trying to meet whenever one celebrates their birthday. But you know, friends you meet in highschool are different. Highschool sometimes makes you miss your old friends because they’ve known you since you were little… or sometimes it makes you realize that you’ve found people you know you wanna keep until your hairs turn gray. To Jimin, it’s the latter. She loves her old friends, but maybe she found better.

 

Minjeong kicks non-existent pebbles on the ground, occasionally checking her phone for new notifications and messages. She nervously shifts her weight from one foot to another and maybe even sighed for the umpteenth time. This reunion’s just making her restless, not sure if it’s because she’s excited or she wants to go home instead.

"You ready?"

Minjeong wakes up from her trance, lifting her head from her phone. She sees Yizhuo walking towards her, waving her hand with a bright smile. For a moment, the girl’s smile calmed her down.

"You're almost late."

"'Almost'. I'll never let myself be." Yizhuo playfully flips her hair and Minjeong can only shake her head.

"Let's go?"

Yizhuo nods and when they started walking, Minjeong didn't notice herself letting out a deep sigh.

"Nervous huh?"

"Same old, same old."

"Don't worry. It's just Jimin."

"Yeah, it's just Jimin."

 

When they arrived, Minjeong could feel her knees almost shaking. Most of their friends were seated on the first row recliner sofa, loudly talking about what she assumed: gossip. She could recognize Jimin's back even from afar and she's sure she'll still recognize even no matter how many times the girl changes her hair color. Unconsciously, she grabs Yizhuo’s wrist which almost makes them halt their steps.

"Hey, easy."

"Sorry."

"Do you want to come and greet them?"

Minjeong immediately shakes her head. It's not that she doesn't really want to. She's just bad at greetings and hugs and making the first move and all the 'Omg! I missed you', so she thinks she should just probably wait for them to notice that she's here and let them swarm in wherever she chooses to sit.

"Okay, fine. I'll go in front and greet them. And also tell them you're here."

"You're a lifesaver."

"Always." Yizhuo says, winking before making her way to the front.

Minjeong sighs in relief when she spots Minju sitting on the second (last) row, talking to Yuri, and she quickly makes a beeline before any of the other girls notice her awkwardly standing by the door. She greets them and easily joins the conversation since they all belong to the same strand of education. It was her, Minju, Yizhuo and Yujin who went together for the same highschool (and just applied to the same colleges too) while Jimin and Chaewon went together.

"Thought you would be late." Minju says. They were supposed to come together but Minjeong said she still has to pick Yizhuo up from the bus stop.

"You know Yizhuo." That's only what Minjeong says but the two girls already get it. "Is Chaewon here?"

"Yep. She's been looking for you. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to see you." Minju answers.

"Is it really me… or you?"

Minju just shakes her head with a smile. Minjeong lets the two girls talk as she tries to decide if she should just go to the front and greet the others, especially Chaewon. (Chaewon is one of the closest friends she had in grade school, calling each other 'twin' since they almost had the same outfit style and interests). But then she thinks they all look so engrossed to whatever topic they are talking about.

She can greet Chaewon later… or right now. Before she could fish her phone out of her pocket, she sees Chaewon, Yujin and Jimin already making their way most probably to where she and Minju are seated. She glances in the front and sees Yizhuo seated, talking to their other friends.

"Minjeong! Minju!"

It was Yujin who greeted so loudly and excitedly. Sure, they see each other often at the campus but the taller girl always acts like she hasn't seen them in ages. Chaewon only waves with a smile and Minjeong almost stands up to greet her and sit together (most probably to be in their own world) when suddenly Jimin takes the seat beside her.

Great.

"Hey." Jimin greets.

"Oh, hi."

They say nothing after, the taller girl immediately looking comfortable in her seat and her body almost leaning into Minjeong's as she makes space for Chaewon. And that's when Minjeong thought she had no choice but to just calm down and hope that Yujin would do the job of not making the atmosphere awkward.

It felt different today. Jimin is still the only-touchy-when-she-likes-to friend. But she felt different today. Minjeong thought she's finally physically feeling all the changes she noticed in the conversations they had through social media. Things were like Minjeong still trying to keep things in touch, Jimin being the same but feeling so distant, and it just goes again and again. It was painful; trying to think of what happened and where and when did it all start to change. Minjeong felt stupid because she was never like that to anyone, her trying so hard to keep things the same, she would just rather let them leave. Anyone but Jimin.

"You okay?" She ends up asking.

"Oh? Mhmm. Just kinda sleepy. I slept late last night."

"Oh. But you always sleep late. You know, making those tiktok videos.'' She tries to joke.

Jimin laughs. It wasn’t the same laugh they all for. The loud contagious laugh, sometimes with high pitched squeals. Minjeong frowns at the thought, but then Jimin's body finally leans more comfortably to her. And when Jimin keeps the position that way, Minjeong places her hand on the girl's lap, deciding that she should not think about it that much. She then rejoins the conversation Yujin and Chaewon are having and they stay like that - Jimin occasionally leaning her head on Minjeong's shoulder or trying to pinch Minjeong's waist whenever she makes a joke to .

For a moment, Minjeong thought that maybe it’s all just in her head. In the end, no matter how confusing everything was to Minjeong, she will still let Jimin do whatever she wants.

 

"Oh, being all cuddly huh?" Yujin teases.

"Hey, shut it." Minjeong says, shushing her friend but the girl beside her only laughs and she prays hard for Jimin not to hear how loudly her heart was pounding.

She hates how Jimin still has the same effect on her despite all the flings. She hates it that she still goes weak even if she doesn't even know where she stands. She hates it that no matter how frustrated she is, it is also what she wants.

"Chill, Minmin."

"Anyways, where's Yizhuo? We need to take a picture later, okay? Us six!!"

"Maybe busy trying to get updated with everybody. Look at her."

"I'm going to the comfort room. Chaewon? Wanna come?"

What she said surprised everyone, even the girl beside her who took a few seconds to process before moving away and let Minjeong move from her seat. Minjeong usually would just quietly excuse herself, especially when everyone's busy sharing stories, and would just tell Jimin she needs to go for a while.

"You fine?" Jimin whispers.

"Don't want an interruption when the movie starts." She says, however, not to Jimin only but to everyone, before grabbing Chaewon's arm, then almost rushing to get out of the room.

"I see that someone still has feelings for someone."

Minjeong playfully pushes her friend away, walking ahead to find the bathroom. She didn’t directly tell Chaewon what she felt but being her twin , she’s sure Chaewon doesn’t even need her to speak to know it.

"I tried, okay. I mean I tried to forget about it. You know all of the relationships I had. I don't even know why I still wait for her or look for her every time we have reunions. And we don't-"

They enter the small bathroom but instead of actually taking a pee, Minjeong just stands in front of the mirror staring at herself.

"You two don't even talk. You always just find each other. Sit side by side and never actually talk but everybody can feel the mothering ."

"Nice joke." Minjeong sighs. turning the faucet on and trying to wash her hands which are not even that dirty.

"Okay maybe the ual part is just for you and it's just tension on her side."

She kicks Chaewon's shin before finding some toilet paper. Minjeong stays silent as Chaewon laughs, probably because she knows that her friend is right. It always looked like there's something going on with them but Jimin never actually confirmed anything to her side. It was all just to tease Minjeong. They all know the last person Jimin used to like was one of their guy friends who was also their classmate (they looked cute together to the point that even their parents root for them).

"Don't you think it's funny how you two always fight when someones all over the other? And you two don't even like each other." That's how usually things are not until Minjeong had to admit to them (but Jimin) that she actually had feelings. Now, their friends know there's something, at least for her.

“I mean… Just all those leaning and whispers… Like, dude. What exactly goes on here?”

“You ask me that when I myself don’t even know.”

“Ow, ouch.”

"I just hope I'll survive tonight."

"You will. As usual. You know how she is."

"That's the thing. I already know, but I never learn."

 

Maybe Jimin’s way of keeping things the same is just different from Minjeong’s. Maybe it’s the way she touches Minjeong whenever they see each other. Maybe it’s how she chooses to sit beside her even if they barely talk. Maybe it’s how she let her friends do all the teasing to them.

Maybe that’s just how it is. Minjeong knows that’s always how things have been; getting all clingy when they see each other but when she tries to keep the connection after, Jimin always looks like she never has time. Minjeong just tries to let things pass, but today, it’s almost driving her crazy. Because she knew something, others didn't. Something that maybe sparked a little hope in her.

“Will you tell them?” Minjeong whispers.

Jimin obviously was not paying attention to the movie. She kept on checking her phone, busily scrolling through her instagram, her head still leaning comfortably on Minjeong’s shoulder.

“About what?”

“Chaehyun.”

It was one of the few times Jimin was a little more open to Minjeong. She admitted having feelings for a girl from her campus - her first girlfriend. Minjeong was even able to talk to her. Minjeong was proud, of course. Chaehyun was funny and very easy to talk to. They were cute and all. But Jimin admitted that it wasn’t always that good. It was tiring for always trying to be patient for Chaehyun whenever she stirred up a fight between them. Jimin also then told Minjeong that just a week ago before this reunion, they had broken up.

“I’ll think about it.”

“Come on. I know the teasing makes you uncomfortable.”

“No, it doesn't. It’s okay. They have always been like that. Though I’m kinda confused why they keep on teasing you. You seem to be really annoyed earlier.”

“It’s nothing.”

“Hmm…”

“Okay, it’s something. But let’s finish all of this first and I’ll tell you.”

“Promise?”

Minjeong knows no matter how many times she promises something to Jimin, it’s not really up to her if she keeps it. Minjeong will always ALWAYS keep her promises but it's also always up to Jimin to let her. She's honestly not so sure if they'll be able to talk after today or Jimin will just start to ghost everyone again.

"I'll tell you. I promise."

But deep down, Minjeong knows maybe it's time to let Jimin know. What she honestly feels for her not-so-close best friend. Maybe after she does, it will all go away.

 

The movie ends and they all agree to watch one more after the food and drinks. Minjeong agreed to the drinks even if she's not so good with them. She rarely drinks but right now maybe it will help her get the courage to get this all out of her.

"I have something to tell you all." Jimin opens up.

She glances at Minjeong whose gaze turns from confusion to recognition. Minjeong nods at her and before she could grab another drink, Jimin's hand slips to her own,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter