Bread

Breadwinners' Bread
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Average.

No one notices you when you’re average. When there’s nothing special about you, when you’re common, typical, ordinary.

You’re easily lost in the sea of crowd, easily invisible. No one would bat an eye whether you’re there or not. No one will look for you if you’re gone. Hell, no one would care if you’re actually there and present.

That’s how Seulgi always was—common, ordinary, nothing special.

The acknowledgment of her presence—or the awareness that she remembered the person as a colleague—at least to Irene, started one evening during an after-office night out.

“Isn’t that Kang Seulgi? Kang Seulgi of I.T. department?”

Irene turned towards where her officemates were looking and right, they have an officemate named Kang Seulgi. She found her beside a woman, her arm around her waist as if assisting her to walk, gesturing her towards a seat with a beaming smile. Once the woman—a middle-aged woman—was seated, her face frowned in annoyance at Seulgi, seemingly scolding her for something incomprehensible from where they're seated. Seulgi only laughed and pacified the old woman.

“She still lives with her mom, right?”

“Yeah. I don’t understand. She has a job, already. Why not move out?”

“Must have boomeranged.”

Giggles rung after. Irene only chuckled softly.

 

 

There was nothing special about Seulgi to make Irene notice her. Again, she’s average and normal in aspects like her career skills or physical attributes—even in talent. She doesn’t stand out in anyway that’d make heads turn to her. She mostly kept to herself and made her presence lowkey.

Until one afternoon, when she caught her talking to some elderly woman on her way home.

The elderly woman looked almost like a beggar—with baggy clothes, clean yes, but there’s a hint that the woman has a bit of loose screws in the head—if Irene would term it kindly.

She watched Seulgi gave the woman some money, chuckling sheepishly as she bowed a few times, seemingly apologizing.

Irene raised her eyebrow as the old woman left hurriedly towards another bus stop. She turned back to Seulgi and found her cursing at herself as she tries to look for something in her pockets and bag, sighing in defeat in the end after a few minutes. Seulgi looked at the elderly woman who was now boarding another bus and smiled, sighing again. She looked up at towards inside the bus then shook her head, finally walking away from the area.

Putting two in two, Irene guesses that Seulgi left her bus card and having no more cash because she probably gave it all to the elderly, she ended up walking home. She scoffed at that.

 

 

Kindness never impressed Irene. It’s a weakness for her, actually. It makes you vulnerable, open, an easy-target to those who’d like to take advantage of you.

And yet there Seulgi was again, giving that elderly her excess change. The repetitive instances should’ve warned the younger girl that whatever the woman is reasoning why she’s asking for money isn’t true. But she guesses that Seulgi isn’t only common—she’s also dumb. Irene only hoped that she didn’t left her bus card again. She thinks she didn’t, but Seulgi walked home again.

 

 

It was irritating. Irene wanted to reprimand her to not be like that, as a fellow human being. But she guesses, it was innate in Seulgi—that kindness.

Because when Irene purposely cut her off in the cafeteria’s line or in the restroom, giving the most ridiculous reasons, she didn’t say anything and smiled that it’s okay.

It wasn’t right.

So, Irene found herself walking towards Seulgi when that happened again.

“You really shouldn’t give that old woman money; you know it’s a scam by now, right?”

Seulgi whipped her head towards the voice that suddenly spoke. “I-Irene-sunbaenim!” She bowed in greeting. “Hello!”

Irene exhaled sharply. “Continue that and you’ll be free food to those sharks.”

Seulgi only chuckled sheepishly. “It’s alright. That old woman seemed lost.” She turned to the woman who was boarding that bus again, fondness in her eyes. “I just wanted to help her find her way home to her daughter.”

Irene turned to where she was looking and frowned. She looked back at Seulgi and found her smiling genuinely that it’s a bit scary to find someone who’s innocent like that.

“Thanks for the advice, though, sunbaenim.” Seulgi said next.

Irene looked away indifferently, clearing . “Sure.” Even though Irene was sure that this woman would never listen to her advice she generously offered herself.

 

 

That’s when Irene started to fully notice. How Seulgi was always kind and polite.

And she’s sure that she can somehow hear the murmurs of how weird she was. First for still staying with her mother even though she’s a fully grown adult, second for her overall shutoff attitude, and lastly for the shrugs in reference to her being no one special.

There was a strong urge of curiosity within Irene that pushes her to briskly walk and follow Seulgi as she walked home after giving that elderly woman some change again.

Irene watched her from afar buying that loaf of bread from a convenience store then leisurely walked, earphones in both ears as she subtly bobbed her head along with the music only she can hear. Almost as if she’s enjoying her own company.

Once home, Irene watched through the windows how Seulgi presented the loaf of bread to her mother. And they laughed and Irene’s heart wrenches somehow at the sight.

 

 

“Mind if I take a picture with you?”

Irene turned and was surprised. It was Seulgi with her shy smile. Behind her was the intern from the I.T. department, Yerim, giggling excitedly as she held a phone. “Sure.” She replied, shrugging with a smile.

Yerim giggled louder as Seulgi stood beside Irene and the intern readied herself to take the couple’s picture. Irene felt Seulgi tensed up beside her when their shoulders grazed briefly but she maintained her gorgeous smile. Around them, crowd has started to pile up, probably having the same intention as Seulgi’s.

Seulgi bowed after saying her thanks then left with a giggling Yerim.

“You can go home now, unnie.”

Irene vaguely heard and she couldn’t help but to chuckle to herself.

 

 

As H.R. staff, Irene had to oversee the current company’s event and as she did her duty and wandered around, she found Seulgi waving goodbye to a taxi. She checked her watch and it was almost ten in the evening. Seulgi probably made sure the minor intern can go home before curfew. She decided to approach her.

“I’m surprised you didn’t go home too.”

Seulgi flinched at the voice and turned. She almost had a heart attack upon seeing Irene with her stunning beauty, wearing that black backless dress, so beautiful that she’s quite sure she will be crowned as the star of the night; the reason why she stayed. “O-Oh, no, not yet. I just made sure Yerim-ah booked a taxi properly.”

Irene hummed and nodded. “Ever the kind soul, Seulgi-shi…”

“Sorry?”

“Nothing.” Irene huffed and turned to Seulgi with a smile. “Mind helping me out?” She asked, even though she knew Seulgi doesn’t have the heart to reject any request.

As Irene expected, Seulgi nodded. “Sure.”

 

 

Seulgi helped out with H.R. tasks that night even though she doesn’t really need to. Irene needed the help; the other staffs were busy enjoying themselves that they’ve already forgotten their job.

After everything was over, Irene pulled Seulgi to the side before she can lift her arm up to call for the next taxi available.

“Wanna hangout for a bit?”

Seulgi was surprised at the invitation.

Irene watched Seulgi’s brows furrowed in thinking.

“I uh… My mom’s alone so…” Seulgi trailed off, voice and lips hinting of disappointment at that late evening.

“We can hangout in your home, then. I'll sleepover? If that's okay.”

Seulgi’s eyes widened. “W-what—are you sure?”

Irene nodded.

Seulgi smiled.

Irene smiled too as she watched the younger girl typed on her phone excitedly.

 

 

“Mom! I told you we already ate!” Seulgi complained as she saw the dinner feast her mother prepared when she told her that a friend is coming to sleepover.

“Oh, Seul, you and your friend are both skinny. I’m sure eating more wouldn’t hurt.” Seulgi’s mother huffed. “Besides, it can be your midnight snack.”

Seulgi groaned.

“Thank you imo. It must be tiring to cook.” Irene said.

Seulgi turned to Irene, surprised at how she called her mother.

“It’s no problem, Irene-ah. Seul rarely brings visitor here so it’s a nice change to cook for someone else who’s not too picky with her food.” Seulgi’s mother laughed mockingly and Seulgi had to groan again.

Seulgi’s mother left after a while and Irene and Seulgi was left alone in the living room. They both prepared the food across the coffee table, planning to watch some movie.

“What genre would you like, sunbaenim?” Seulgi asked as she browsed the TV.

Irene hummed. “I’m good with any.”

Seulgi hummed back. “Have you watched Parasite?”

Irene shook her head. Seulgi smiled and played it.

Minutes passed as the movie plays. Both held a can of beer in each hand.

“You’re close with your mom, huh?” Irene spoke after a while.

“Yeah…” Seulgi answered, chuckling a bit shyly.

“That’s nice.”

Seulgi hummed. “I don’t think others see it that way, though.”

“You shouldn’t mind them, Seulgi. Believe me, you’re better than any of them.”

Seulgi looked down, blushing at the unexpected compliment. “Thanks, sunbaenim.”

“You can just call me Irene, Seulgi.”

Seulgi turned and met with Irene’s waiting gaze. The latter nodded and the former smiled, nodding.

“Okay…”

 

 

Nothing notable happened after that, Irene just slept in Seulgi’s bedroom while Seulgi slept on the sofa of their living room. When morning came, Irene lets Seulgi take her home, riding with her on that bus and walked until they were in front of Irene’s house. Seulgi bid goodbye shyly and walked away even before Irene can get inside.

Days after that, they’ve become closer. Irene would eat lunch with Seulgi, would spend breaktimes with her. Even walked with her at times and they’d stroll around aimlessly with the comfort of each other’s company.

It was one night, after both of them did some overtime work, when they decided to hangout at a park. They both bought snacks and cans of beer and settled on a corner bench, watching the people walked past them.

In Irene’s mind, they seemed like worker ants, diligently walking, working, following that path that was laid before them without question.

“Everyone’s eager to go home, aren’t they?” Seulgi said chuckling.

Irene turned to Seulgi, a disbelief smile on her lips as Seulgi just opposed what she just thought of. “You’re a sunshine, do you know that?”

Seulgi flinched and blushed at the statement.

“You’re just so positive I can’t…” Irene chuckled, shaking her head.

Seulgi frowned. “No, I’m not.”

“You’re not?”

Seulgi looked at her can of beer. “Yeah…” She took a deep sigh.

Irene’s gaze stayed glued on her, waiting for her continuation.

“Sometimes… I don’t want to go home.” Seulgi mumbled almost inaudibly. If Irene wasn’t beside her, she wouldn’t have heard it. “Sometimes, it’s tiring. I feel tired too…”

Irene looked down too. At that pavement they walked on.

During the course of their closeness, Irene learned that when Seulgi’s father died, she had stepped up as the head of the family because her mother’s health deteriorated. She stayed by her side to take care of her. It wasn’t supposed to be that hard had her older brother didn’t vanished—in a pressured move to run away from the responsibility. Seulgi couldn’t blame him—he has worked hard enough just to make sure Seulgi graduates from college. In addition, her younger sister who she funded for college, kept on dropping subjects and classes, reasoning that she still hasn’t find what she wanted to do. And Seulgi wanted her to have a work that she’s passionate about, unlike her, so she tolerated her too much that until now, she hasn’t graduated yet so, additional load on her shoulders.

“I do overtimes to forget about stuff, about my responsibilities. Because when I come home, I remember it all and it’s hard. I feel suffocated sometimes and I know it’s bad to think that way because they’re family, but… it sometimes gets hard.” Seulgi sighed again. She turned to Irene with a weak smile. “You sometimes find me walking home instead of riding the bus, right?”

Irene nodded.

Seulgi chuckled. “It was only that one time that I forgot my bus card. The rest of it was because I wanted to stall time. And it’s bad, isn’t it? I should be excited to see mom; I should be excited to spend time with her. But then, sometimes—a lot of times, actually—when I look at her, I feel burdened.”

And there was immeasurable pain and guilt within Seulgi’s eyes that Irene can’t help but mirror it. She reached for her hand and held it gently, squeezing it in a manner that she’d hopefully feel reassured, even for just a little bit. She smiled. “But you never left her.”

Seulgi’s eyes widened and tears came running down from her eyes. Irene held her, hushing her, cradling her head gently and told her that everything’s going to be alright.

 

 

It did. Not quite everything, but a lot of things started to feel right. Maybe because Irene was there so working was more fun and not that daunting anymore. And Seulgi can note how Irene can somewhat relate—that she understands her point-of-view—so she felt like someone she can confide to.

That companionship turned to something much deeper. Seulgi would admit; she had a crush on Irene, hence that picture that Yerim took. She honestly didn’t think they’d become close, hell, she didn’t even think they’d become friends in the first place.

But as they continuously spent time together, sometimes they’d both do overtimes and go home together, with Irene ending up staying the night and Seulgi would always walk her home, leaving even before Irene can get inside her house.

The action was Seulgi’s last foot on the cliff’s safety; the other was already lifted up, hanging in the air, ready to fall. Somehow, once Seulgi sees Irene off until she’s gone into her home, that might be her last straw—the cliffhanger falling. So, she turns her back every time, before Irene gets home.

 

 

At another company party hosted at a hotel, Irene had pulled her into a corner again.

“Hey, Seul,” Irene whispered into her ear.

Seulgi had to gulp at the huskiness of her voice; she guesses that Irene had drank a bit.

“I booked a room.”

Seulgi’s mouth opens and closes. Irene’s eyes on her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter