And I'll Tell You About It

Sunlight in the Morning
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two slices of freshly baked bread, a bowl of pineapple chunks, some thick smoked ham and cheddar cheese slices. Looking at the ingredients in front of her, Joohyun is in a good mood — She got the orders from two special guests earlier. Although making sandwiches is not her job, she still wants to do it herself today.

It is now one thirty in the afternoon. Lunchtime is over, so there are only a few customers in the shop. Seungwan and Yerim were already sitting on the same side by the windows, waiting for Joohyun to go off duty while talking.

A cup of iced black coffee with a piece of tiramisu for Yerim, Joohyun thinks to herself while cutting the sandwich in half, plus a piece of apple pie with a mocha for Seungwan. 

When it is time for the lunch break, Joohyun checks all the coffee machines, then puts food and drinks on a wooden tray. Next, she takes off her apron, putting it away, and then approaches Seungwan and Yerim with the tray. The two of them are talking about an ongoing project. When they see Joohyun placing plates and two glasses on the table, they start to cheer wildly.

"I tried to make these sandwiches myself. And Yerim," Joohyun makes eye contact with the brunette, "Seungwan told me you love black coffee with fruit flavors, so I asked a close barista to give me a bag of fresh coffee beans with notes of citrus and peach." 

"Wow, unnie!" Yerim shouts and then giggles, "Ah, sorry, I'm too excited, Bae nim."

"It's okay." Joohyun smiles softly, "Calling me 'unnie' is totally fine, Yerim."

"Yes, Joohyun unnie!"

Then, the raven haired woman walks towards the counter. She returns with a piece of chocolate cake and a black coffee. After she sits opposite Yerim, the three of them clink glasses, "Cheers!"

Yerim and Joohyun talk a lot about coffee — how altitude and climate affect the flavors of coffee beans, how important the timing of pouring water through the coffee grinds is, how to maintain coffee machines. And Seungwan sits there listening to them talking with open. 

"Have you two ever talked to one another before? Why does it feel like you have known each other for years?"

"No, we only greeted each other politely before." The two women chorus, and then laugh heartily. Of course, Seungwan joins them. 

When Yerim nears finishing her sandwich, Seungwan is already eating her apple pie and she becomes curious about its taste — the way the blonde eats the pie makes it feel more delicious. The brunette usually visits this shop for lunch, therefore, she rarely orders dessert. She feels sure that if she asks Seungwan to give her a small piece of the apple pie, the blonde will say "Just eat the one you ordered", so she has to do something for herself.

Seungwan cuts another lump of apple pie. But before she can eat it, she finds Yerim staring at her with a mischievous grin on her face. The blonde knows that's a sign the brunette will get into mischief.

"Unnie, son seungwan doesn't drink black coffee." Yerim says while takes the last bite of her sandwich. The pineapple tastes so sweet and she really loves this feeling.

Joohyun then looks at Seungwan with a soft smile, "Really?" 

"There's a certain reason behind this." The blonde puts down the fork, wondering how to stop Yerim before the conversation gets any further, "Right, Kim Yerim ssi?"

Yerim just shrugs and swallows the food, then pretends she didn't see Seungwan's reaction while laughing, "And I—"

But her words cannot be heard clearly because Seungwan stretched out her right hand to cover Yerim's mouth, "The coffe—"

Yerim then turns around to face Seungwan while waving her arms around rapidly, and Joohyun can't help but laugh loudly. 

When the brunette's voice becomes small, Seungwan releases her hold on Yerim's mouth, then feeds that bite-sized apple pie to the brunette, "Kim Yerim, Ah—"
 
"Ah—" And Yerim chews the dessert with satisfaction.

"Delicious?" She sees Yerim nod, "Okay. Now, please be quiet. Or at least stop talking about my secrets."

"Unnie, she treats me like this—" The brunette pretends she's going to cry with her puppy eyes, and Joohyun's heart almost melts into a puddle under her gaze.

"Kim Yerim, are you doing aegyo? Unnie, she's not like this when she's with me? We always bicker with each other and she sometimes even just calls me 'Yah!'." Seungwan laughs while saying.

"Yah, you use 'Yah' a lot yourself, okay?" Yerim lifts her knife and fork in response.

And the raven haired woman looks at them with a dazzling smile.

After they have talked about an infinite number of subjects, Yerim looks at her watch. Three o'clock is almost here. She glances at Seungwan and Joohyun, then a soft smile lifts the corners of .

"I'm going back to the office now. You two please have a good time talking." Yerim says as she puts her plates and glass back on the tray — Joohyun said it is okay to do so earlier.

"Yah, Kim Yerim, I can't believe you're addicted to working." Seungwan knows that it is Yerim's way of letting the two of them spend time together. She just likes the feeling of having the brunette around, though she won't tell her that.

"Time is up. It's about the time, okay?" Yerim waves at them, "Bye, and Joohyun unnie, thank you for your coffee today. It keeps me alive."

Joohyun gives the brunette an eye smile, then watches her go until she can't see the petite figure anymore.

"Yerim's so energetic and she feels like sunlight, doesn't she?" The raven haired woman smiles while says.

"I agree with you." Seungwan returns her smile. 

Then, she suddenly starts to fidget. She can feel how fast her heart is beating and she wants to know if it's caused by caffeine. Or maybe she is just afraid that Joohyun will touch on the subject of why she once bought black coffee.

"Seungwan." Since she immerses herself in thinking, Joohyun's voice almost startles her.

"Ah, em? What's up, unnie?"

"There's cream on the corner of your mouth." Joohyun points to the right side of while smiling.

Seungwan touches , only to find there is nothing sticking to it. Therefore, she looks at the woman in front of her in confusion. 

"I was only joking." The raven haired woman takes a sip of her coffee and giggles softly.  

Seungwan's heart races under Joohyun's gaze, thus she tries to search for a new subject of conversation to distract herself. Her eyes sweep the empty plates on the table and a thought crosses her mind, "Unnie, I love the pineapple sandwich I ate earlier. It's new to me since normally, there's no fruit in sandwiches."

"I once had this dish in a little restaurant when I was in Daegu." Joohyun feels nostalgic, "Sadly, the restaurant closed before I came to Seoul, thus I told the owner of this café that when we launch new products in the future, we could include this menu because I wanted to eat it once again."  

No wonder there is a line under the sandwich saying "A special dish with the warmth of my home town" on the menu, Seungwan thinks to herself.

Joohyun glances at where Yerim was sitting with a soft smile, and then fastens her attention on Seungwan, "The way you and Yerim have been cherishing each other and playing earlier reminds me of the time I spent with my friends in Daegu. I decided to contact them earlier and we'll probably gather together in the near future."

Seungwan doesn't say anything. Instead, she just listens to the other woman talking just like Joohyun always does.

"The relationship between me and them may not be the same as it used to be. We have all reached the next stage of our lives, and it's inevitable that everything will no longer be as simple as it was when we wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter