final

Routine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

hello everyone! look who came back... after all these years, I wrote something again!

it's just a fluffy oneshot, nothing much, but i hope you like it. writing is not my forte, but i love taking the risk for these two incredible men hahaha

english is not my first language, so if you see anything wrong, please let me know :)

 

There are good days, days that are simply indifferent and also days when nothing seems to conspire in your favor.


Donghae understood that this was one of those days when a series of irritating occurrences made him wish he hadn't gotten out of bed in the morning.


It all started when he couldn't find his keys, wasting precious ten minutes he didn't want to make up for at work.


It's friday, and Donghae had promised himself that he wouldn't work any more overtime than he's already put in for the week. Ten minutes might seem silly, but working at a such systematic and petty company—which calculates each and every minute of work of its employees so meticulously—Donghae longed to be just as petty and run out of there as soon as he could, without wasting one more precious minute.


The damn keys, which weren't in the holder next to the front door as usual, were forgotten in the pants he'd put in the laundry basket the day before and hadn't noticed.


Resigned, Donghae walked to work following the usual route, and it was midway when he realized his wrong choice of clothing, feeling that the weather was warmer than he’d expected for the day.


Luckily, the coat he was wearing could be removed and the warmth of the backpack on his back lasted only a few moments, but the long-sleeved shirt had to stay with him during the long nine hours he spent at the company. The only air conditioning in the room where he works—a large space he shares with several people—tried, but didn’t do a very good job of cooling it enough.


Donghae spent the day with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows, unsticking his shirt from his back and desperately fanning himself with a mousepad.


Now, after hours of staring at the computer screen and feeling his eyes stinging behind his glasses when he found himself without blinking for several seconds, Donghae clocks in and leaves at 18:12.


The path from work to his building is short, thankfully, but the annoyance of leaving later than he expected is aggravated by the reminder that he has to go to the market.


Hyukjae spent the day out of town because of work and had warned him that he might not be able to go before his cell phone battery ran out and he could no longer communicate with Donghae. And they couldn't do without soap or food on the weekend.


Donghae doesn't get angry with Hyukjae because of that. It was their fault for not going grocery shopping in advance. He's angrier with himself more than anything else. He just really wants to go home.


Annoyed and sighing loudly, he redirects himself to the mini-market that they frequent weekly, also close to where they live. They don't need much, just a few emergency items for the next few days.


Filling a basket as fast as he can with meat, some vegetables, two packets of Hyukjae's favorite ramen and the goddamn soaps, Donghae heads to the cashier with the shortest line and pays for the food when his turn comes, giving the cashier lady a weak polite smile and thanking her as he leaves.


Unconsciously pushing up the glasses that slides down his nose, he adjusts his backpack and finally makes his way home, wishing for a well-deserved shower and daydreaming about filling his belly with hamburger and french fries and not cooking at all.


Shaking his head, Donghae thinks to himself that he shouldn't abuse. "We can order tomorrow," he comments out loud. They’d already ordered pizza when Hyukjae's parents visited them two days ago. Eat well today, hamburger tomorrow. Balance is everything, that's what he tells Hyukjae (and Hyukjae always rolls his eyes and makes fun of Donghae just to contradict him, despite also maintaining a decent diet).


Muttering randomness along the way, Donghae arrives in front of his building after a few minutes. Entering and taking the elevator up to the fourth floor, he finds himself sighing in relief at the sight of his own apartment door, glad to be home, at last.


Turning the key in the lock, Donghae finds the door already unlocked, signaling that Hyukjae had arrived a little earlier than expected.


Really wanting a rest and the warmth of his boyfriend's arms, Donghae calls him to announce his presence, placing the shopping bags on the kitchen counter and heading to the living room.


"Hey, you're home."


Hyukjae appears as he passes through the bathroom door, smiling and finishing drying his freshly washed hands. Still wearing his clothes from work, clear that he’s arrived home just a few moments ago, Donghae gets closer at the same time Hyukjae comes to meet him halfway, bringing his hands to Donghae's cheeks and placing a peck on his lips.


Realizing that he missed this contact more than he was aware of, Donghae hugs his waist and (as if he needed permission) cutely asks for another kiss without using words—the pleading look and the small pout on his lips emerging in a needy expression, almost like a child, already tells Hyukjae everything.


Hyukjae laughs softly and comes closer again, offering him a longer kiss. But then he pulls away, his brows slightly furrowed as he notices Donghae's weary posture and gaze.


"You're tired," he states. Donghae doesn't answer, just closes his eyes, relaxing his expression and sighing when Hyukjae wraps his arms around his neck and starts placing small kisses down his face. On his temple. On a cheek. On the left corner of his lips.


"Did you go to the grocery store?" he asks, though already antecipating the nod of agreement. "I’m sorry I didn't go there for you, baby. My schedule got mixed up and I thought I wouldn't make it in time. And then my phone died and I couldn’t reach you to tell you that I ended up coming back, like, five minutes ago..."


"Don’t worry about it," Donghae assures him with sincerity, enjoying the caress of the soft lips that trace

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter