la mort

anywhere but home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Like everything else in life, some things are out of your control.

 

Kang Seulgi can safely say that's not the case today.

 

There's no deer suddenly rising out of the shrubberies and obstructing her way, or drunk drivers fooling with some ideas of falling asleep at the right time and veering into her lane. Regardless, there's nothing that can possibly endanger her life today.

 

Nothing but twenty-eight reasons staying in her mind every so often.

 

 

11:00 PM

 

"You're going to ride a motorcycle?!"

 

"You're too loud." Seulgi hissed, her hand is on Wendy's mouth, stopping another blabbering that will certainly come her way. Not forgetting the supplementary eye roll when Wendy gave another bewildering look.

 

Yes, she didn't trip over her words this time. Bewildering indeed, those pairs of orbs piercing still.

 

"Then you have to prepare!" She grabs Seulgi's hand in hers, prompting her into a half-standing position. "Come with me!"

 

Leather, full- gloves on, slathered over her dainty fingers. Mandatory long pants, a riding jacket (Wendy reprimanded her to always prioritize substance over style, as if she doesn't get it already). After checking the tires for bulges or abnormalities first thing in the night and double checking using a gauge from her jacket to measure the air pressure, she’s ready.

 

Nothing else she could do but starting a trip under the moonlight

 

There were several rules for a late night ride.

 

 

11:30 PM

 

Gear shifting is the first thing she learnt during her first venture in this new hobby.

 

Up means more speed, down means less. At the curvy roads of the mountain (It's Korea but Seulgi would debate that it reminds her of Los Angeles. In a way.) she leaned to the left to keep her balance.

 

It's a lonely night, desolated from people, part of a mission where she pretends that she doesn't exist. She squinted behind the tinted visor of her full-face helmet, considering whether to gain speed in exchange for more thrill.

 

"Master braking! Emergency stops!" All of a sudden Wendy drop all these motorcycle books for her to read, not like Seulgi was not aware of the sentiment but—

 

"You can count on emergency stops in an abandoned parking lot nearby." Her friend tapped her cheek with the tip of her finger, considering. For what Seulgi didn't know. So the taller woman can only send a frown. "I already knew this. Why do you keep telling me about this—" she frowned. “Besides, does it have to be abandoned?”

 

"Because you're forgetful sometimes. And clumsy. I still didn't know why you could mistake my brother with someone else that day…"

 

The reminder successfully left her cheek flushing red. Their first meeting started with Kang Seulgi kissing her brother (on the cheek, specifically) and Wendy laughing so loud it barked in the whole large mansion of Family Son. She's been friends with Son Seungwan, the daughter of an oil magnate who happens to lend her notes when Seulgi's been absent from school for three whole days. Blame her ulcer for acting up those days.

 

Thus their first meeting.

 

Seulgi didn't understand why she did that kiss, or why Seungwan's reaction dulled everything a little bit.

 

Still no signs of passing deers or any freak occurrences that can happen on the road. But it's too early to wear out judgment, or conclude that everything is alright. Her right hand tightened on the grip, considering whether to pick up speed. It's been like this for fifteen whole minutes. For downshifting, one gear shifted down at a time, releasing the clutch at each downshift. Any lock-up situation will guarantee the loss of control, and Seulgi cannot have that during navigating the mountain highway.

 

Water drops ticking against the top of her black helmet and eventually along her neck. For a moment she contemplated whether to make a stop, reminded of camera equipment tucked in the duffle bag she had strapped to the saddle. Just when she's about to contemplate stopping…

 

Let's just keep going. It's not like she has anywhere to go. Not anymore.

 

"A road trip?"

 

"I can prepare the equipment. We can park near the ramp at the spot I told you about." It's not like Seulgi didn't notice her sweaty, damp insides of her palm as she was saying this. The prospect of catching the golden eye in a picture cannot win against Wendy sitting behind her on her own bike by a wide margin.

 

Wendy's excited look was soon replaced with hesitation.

 

"Sorry, but my boyfriend made me promise to do that together when he obtains his license this week."

 

"Oh, your boyfriend, right." The twinkle in Wendy's eyes were a little hard not to miss. They met just last week, with details that Seulgi forgot soon after first hearing. She and her short-term memory loss, whatever. Wendy scrunched her face, rubbing her palms in an apologetic manner.

 

Seulgi thinks that day will have to wait. That man's a lousy rider. Just saying.

 

How does it feel like driving in the rain?

 

Wetter the road and to be more careful not to drop a sudden maneuver that can endanger both her and her bike. The drizzle increases its intensity when Seulgi passes through a tunnel, bringing the remnants of wetness dripping from the sleeve of her jacket, myriads of neon lights reflected on her visor in the quickest succession.

 

The camera equipment safely loaded in a watertight, hard luggage.

 

"Marriage?"

 

"He brought it up a lot these days." Wendy sips her milk tea, suddenly feeling a little bashful in this small cafe, in front of her best friend. "Couldn't help my mind to wander everywhere."

 

Seulgi nodded, a little more forced than she intended to be. At this point she's transparent.

 

The loudest horn assaulting her senses. She's out of the tunnel and in front of her is a red truck from the opposite direction. Seulgi's residing outside her lane, and with revving noise she jerks to the left, leaning as low as she can to lessen the impact.

 

Both she and her bike were thrown to the side, hitting the ramp.

 

 

What do you think, Seulgi? The marriage, I mean.

 

After a crash and less impact after skidding on her face (thanks to the full-face helmet), Seulgi pulls her body forward, ignoring the grunting of her body, or any cuts that are already engraved under her skin, making themselves noticeable through increasing aches. After grabbing the area around her feet to check for a busted knee or ankle, she gets up and lifts her jet-black bike to a stand. Soon a grunt or two follows.

 

She half-way mounting it before flashes of her thought struck again.

 

Examine your head before going for a ride, they say.

 

Emergency parking!

 

She secretly loathe the same voice that's been ringing in her head all night.

 

 

Luckily there's a small convenience store not far from where she just experienced her first crashing. After extending the kickstand to the down position and gently leaning the bike to the left until it rests securely on a stand, Seulgi stepped back a bit, making sure the parked bike was balanced enough.

 

She reaches to her saddle and lifts it open, revealing a gray pouch with a red cross on it. With an unlatching motion of a finger, she spread the content on the seat:

a selection of bandages, including gauze bandages

adhesive tapes

an antibiotic of some sort

something for bee stings

 

A careful look across her wound tells her that she needs a longer gauze, or what

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter