A Golden Dream

A Winter's Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Irene entered her classroom the next morning, she found Kim Ayeong — one of her close friends who sat beside her — was already there.

"Oh, baechu, your little sister said it's your scarf so I put it there." Ayeong pointed at Irene's desk, "She folded it neatly before she gave it to me."

"Little sister? Yah, she's only one year younger than me, okay?" Irene laughed, "And her name is Wendy."

Irene wanted to put on the scarf for a while before the first class started, so she unfolded it. Then, she found there was a card. In the next few minutes, the raven haired girl only sat with her eyes glued to it.

It looked like a business card. However, there was only one line on it: I love you unnie! L… LET'S DATE! Then, Irene couldn't help but blushed.

And now, Wendy is 27 years old while Irene is 28 years of age. They're not two teenagers anymore but they're still in love.

 

 

"Hyuni loves listening to the radio. She said it does relieve her anxieties, plus she loves the way that radio hosts often have a soft and calm voice. Thus wani told herself that one day, she'll be a radio DJ for sure."

"You mean what? Me? My radio? You'll come here?" 

Wendy became a radio DJ in a summer just as she wished several years ago. She replaced the elder radio host, and now worked for a national radio station from 12 pm to 2 pm during the week.

It was already July. The weather was getting hot, thus Wendy had her hair cut a while ago. She has had short hair for a long time and her hair now reached her chin.

It was another night of her telling stories to Irene. Whenever Wendy did this, she took a short break of five to ten minutes. It was time for her to do it again.

There was a bowl of soft and hard peaches on the dining table. After dinner, Irene cut the fresh fruit into bite-sized pieces — She knew how much Wendy loves fruit especially seasonal fruit.

Irene sat across from Wendy. She picked up a piece of peach and fed it to the younger woman, "Is it sweet?" 

Wendy nodded while chewing it. Irene smiled while looked at her. After Wendy finished eating, Irene said, "I'll guest on your radio next week."

And that's why the conversation earlier happened.

"You don't know it? "Irene raised an eyebrow, "Your team told me there will be a new section. More accurately, starting with me, they'll invite songwriters, composers and freelance writers. They said they want to try it for a month first and see how the listeners react to it, then decide whether they'll continue with it or not."

Irene had recently won a literary award, and the radio company took the opportunity to invite her. 

"Ah, yeah, I got it. I know there will be some special guests next week but I don't know who they are. My team hasn't given me the list yet." Wendy nodded, then stared at the fruit in the glass bowl, "And they might want to ask for your opinion first since it's our first time to have a writer. You've listened to my radio a lot so you know, we usually invite actors, singers or idol groups' members."

She shifted her eyes from the bowl to Irene, "Recently, our team has been encouraging our listeners to provide feedback. We have listeners who are enthusiastic about literature and they want us to invite some authors. Some idol groups' fans also said that they want to know the processes of creating certain songs, so there will also be songwriters and composers."

Wendy didn't remember what she said after this because all she could think about was her schedule for tomorrow. She was less nervous after a few years of hosting. However, the thought of having Irene as a guest still made her fidget, especially the broadcast that day would be viewable. She was happy because she would meet Irene in the workplace — she just worried if she would accidentally tell some dad jokes or something.

 

The next morning, when Wendy tried to get up, Irene just didn't let her go so she lied there for another ten minutes. As she finally sat on the edge of their bed putting on her socks, Irene suddenly twined her arms around the younger woman's waist. 

"Why do you have to go…" Irene could barely keep her eyes open since she hadn't fully woken up. Wendy got up earlier than usual — normally, she is still asleep at 8 am. Irene worked from home, therefore, she didn't need to worry about commuting.

"Unnie, I'm going to have a schedule with you. You already forgot?"

Irene only shook her head mightily. Wendy tried to take Irene's right hand and then left light kisses on the back of it. Irene released her grip unconsciously before Wendy could remove the elder woman's hands. 

Irene was still murmuring something and Wendy kissed her on the forehead and lips. After a little while, the room fell silent, and the elder woman got back to sleep. Wendy then left their bedroom quietly. 

Despite the fact that Wendy had gone to the office early, she still started to fidget. After finishing her prerecordings, Wendy got up and sat down, then drained a glass in one gulp. The studio was cool enough, but she still wondered if the air conditioner was working. 

When she finally managed to calm down, Irene arrived. The elder woman was wearing a white T-shirt and a blue jeans. Wendy noticed she also didn't wear glasses — Irene is used to doing it at home.

Irene was sitting across from Wendy. It gave the younger woman the illusion that she was still sitting at the dining table in their house. Five minutes later, the broadcast started. 

"Now, today's guest Irene ssi is here. Welcome!" Wendy clapped while saying, "4839 nim said, 'The goddess of peace is here!' Exactly, our 4839 nim."

The sudden use of honorific terms caused Wendy to be a bit awkward. They began living together from a spring when they were still in college. Since then, she has called Irene "unnie" (yes, it's also a honorific term but Wendy said it in a way showing they're intimate), "joohyun" or just a simple "you". 

"Irene ssi came here after receiving the Blue Maple Award. Congratulations, Irene ssi."

Irene gave Wendy a bashful smile, "Thank you so much, Wendy ssi."

"I've read your award-winning work. You've finished it in the past, right? It's a masterpiece and everything about it is so beautiful. Could you please make a short presentation for our listeners?"

"Oh, it's called 'A Golden Season' and this work is about having a walk in autumn when the weather is warm." Wendy looked at Irene, encouraging her to continue in a silent way, "And I'll share one paragraph with you guys."

She took a deep breath, and then began reciting a stanza of the poem.

"When a golden leaf falls from the tree 
I raise my head to follow its trajectory
Like trace a golden dream
 
A butterfly p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter