(Episode 2) Chapter 9

Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-- October 01, 2018, 4:20 PM --

-- Tae Hangho's Address, Paju-si, Gyeonggi-do --

They all took a minute to catch their breaths before the detectives started asking questions.

"We came to ask you some questions. You know Kim Jeongtae-ssi, right?" Jaesuk asked Hangho.

"I know Kim Jeongtae. I came to know him about two months ago." The man answered.

"How did it happen?" Sehun asked him.

"He was a client." Hangho answered and the detectives took down notes.

"Before we talk about anything else, can you guys tell me who you are?" He asked the group this time.

"We are detectives who are investigating his escape from the hospital." Sunmi told him.

"What? Kim Jeongtae escaped?" Hangho asked.

"You didn't know?" Sejeong asked him.

"No, I didn't. That guy still owes me something." Hangho said and he looked confused.

"Actually, Kim Jeongtae-ssi was murdered five hours ago." Sunmi informed him, trying to see what his initial reaction would be.

"Are you telling me Kim Jeongtae is dead?" Hangho asked, surprised.

"We were surprised as well." Jaesuk told him as he stood up.

"My 5,000 dollars." Hangho revealed that Jeongtae had owed him money.

"I don't know about that, but I have to ask, the estimated time of his death is between 6 AM and 8 AM today. What did you do from 6 AM to 8 AM today?" Jaesuk asked him.

"I woke up at 9 AM., so I was sleeping." Hangho stated.

"What did you do from 11 AM to 12 PM yesterday?" Jaesuk followed up.

"At 11:00 AM? I was here working." Hangho answered.

"Is that so?" Jaesuk said with a disappointed sigh.

"Hey, Ahjussi." Hangho called out, suddenly serious.

"Yes?"

"Are you suspecting me?" He asked as he slowly came nearer.

"No, I am not." Jaesuk answered.

"Are you suspecting that I killed Kim Jeongtae?" Hangho asked again.

"No, I am not. For goodness' sake." Jaesuk told him.

"I wasted my time to help you! I played this game when you didn't have 10,000 dollars!" Hangho started getting angry and the detectives tried to calm him down.

"I'm sorry, but it's standard procedure." Jaesuk told him and he started calming down a bit.

"We need you to tell us what you know about Kim Jeongtae-ssi. You had no idea about his escape?" Sunmi asked him.

"No. I had no idea." Hangho stated.

"Did he show any strange behaviors when you last visited him?" Sehun asked this time.

"We didn't really have any connection except for me doing the things he wanted done and him paying me for it. As you may already know, he still owed me money from my last job." Hangho said.

"Is there anyone you remember from your visit to the hospital?" Sejeong asked him.

"Let's see. I saw someone." Hangho recalled.

"Who?" Jaesuk prompted him to talk.

"Among the people who came to visit Kim Jeongtae, there was someone suspicious. It was my first time seeing that person." Hangho said.

"A man or a woman?" Jaesuk asked.

"A man. He had a red scar on his hand." Hangho remembered and the detectives cried out, familiar with the description he was talking about.

"I remember that clearly. That man from the video." Sehun shared.

"That's right." Sunmi agreed.

"Hold on." Jaesuk said as he approached Hangho and took a look at his hands.

"Are you suspecting me?" Hangho started getting angry again.

"No." Jaesuk denied.

"I can't believe you!"

"I am not."

"I'm helping you right now."

"All right. I am sorry." Jaesuk apologized.

"I think we don't have any more questions." Sunmi stated.

"Thank you." Jaesuk started telling Hangho.

"You might need me someday. Call me if you need anything." Hangho said as he handed out his calling cards to all the members.

"Okay."

"You may become my future client." He said with a smile.

"Okay." The detectives nodded.

"See you next time." Sehun told him as they started to leave the store.

"Don't suspect anyone you come across. Call me if you need anything." Hangho called out.

"For goodness' sake." Jaesuk said on his way out. Sunmi looked back at Hangho before she left.

"Thank you!" She called out. Hangho looked like he was a reliable source of information despite his very expensive price. He might come in handy for something Sunmi needed. The quad got back to the car and talked about the information they found.

-- October 01, 2018, 5:00 PM --

-- On The Road, Paju-si, Gyeonggi-do --

"I wonder if the other team found out something useful." Sunmi wondered as Jaesuk drove out of the parking area.

"Tae Hangho doesn't have a solid alibi and he doesn't even have anyone who can confirm it." Sejeong recalled and Sunmi nodded.

"We need to talk to Jung Jaeyong, he could be the key to solving all of this." Jaesuk stated as his phone rang.

"Hold on. I have an incoming call." He said as he passed the phone to Sehun who answered it for him.

"Hello?"

"Hello? I received a call from Lieutenant Yoon. A little while ago at a nearby tunnel, the body of Jung Jaeyeong was found. There is a QR code on his body as well." Stephanie Lee was the one calling.

"Did someone die again?" Jaesuk asked.

"Yes. I heard the news when I called him to ask about the video we watched earlier." Stephanie answered.

"What is going on?" Jaesuk wondered.

"Please hold." Stephanie told Sehun.

"Okay."

"I have the analysis of the QR code video. I felt like something wasn't right when I watched it earlier, so I asked Lieutenant Yoon of the Crime Scene Investigation to zoom in on every frame from the moment of the stabbing. You can barely see it in the video, but there was a mirror at the scene. When they zoomed in, it showed what was obstructed from our views when Researcher Ji was stabbed. The man who stabbed Researcher Ji was Kim Jeongtae-ssi." Stephanie revealed.

"The culprit misunderstood upon watching the video and killed Ahn Naesang as well. And if I may add my opinion, this is an act of revenge. There is a big chance the culprit knows the structure of a human body. Anyways, I'll text you the address so that you can investigate." Stephanie said before she ended the call.

"Did she tell us where to go?" Jaesuk asked Sehun once Stephanie hung up.

"She sent us an address." Sehun told him as he opened the text message and entered the address into the GPS.

"Okay. Sejeong-ah, send this address to the others and tell them to meet us there." He instructed the girl.

"Okay." Sejeong agreed as she brought out her phone to text the other group.

"He died in a tunnel?" Jaesuk wondered.

"Or maybe he was dropped off the tunnel?" Sunmi asked. Soon, they arrived at the address that Stephanie sent.

-- October 01, 2021, 5:30 PM --

-- A Location Near Paju-si Gyeonggi-do --

"The police are here." Sehun observed as he saw the men in uniforms guarding the entrance to the tunnel. Jaesuk stopped the car and the four of them got out and approached the entrance.

"I'm sorry but you can't go in. Why are you here?" One of the policemen asked them.

"We are here to investigate." Jaesuk started saying.

"We are detectives." Sejeong added.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter