Shoebox and Candles

Only Girl In The World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The previous tenant— bless that generous soul— had kindly left a few pieces of furniture for the next pathetic occupant of Unit 526.  Joohyun was involuntarily gifted with a sofa set was that probably older than Da Ling.  The seating was covered with fake leatherette material that had cracked badly over time.  The inner, fluffy stuffing of the cushion stuck out from the cracks like giant popcorn. The sofa set was a piece of crap and it looked disgusting.

Joohyun chose to sit on a relatively less cracked area of the sofa where she slouched like the loser that she was. She chomped on the dry noodles.  She had been living cheaply on ramyeon, crackers and other instant meals for countless days now that she really did not care about the taste anymore.  She simply wanted to ease off the hunger because she found that she tended to get more depressed on an empty stomach.  Besides, that was all she could afford.  She had been able to survive on a meager weekly income as a helper in the laundromat on the ground floor of the building.  But since the announcement of the forthcoming demolition, Joohyun’s employer was the first to leave.  Joohyun had been unemployed for over three weeks now.

As much as she would like to seek for a job, she could not apply for a decent one because she needed to cite a valid permanent address.  It was not advisable to name Usuhan Housing as her residence on the application forms because everybody knew about the news that it would soon be destroyed.  She could not relocate to a decent apartment either because of financial constraints. How could she afford to pay the deposit for a new place? She had very little money left— in fact, she had no clue how she would survive the next few days.

The only miracle that could save her was if Allan would... No.  Stop it, Joohyun!  You know that’s not going to happen anymore.  Here’s where you stop hoping.

She could go back to her family but... that’s not a good idea either.

She checked the battery of her cellphone and saw that there was fifty percent power left.  She took out an international call card from her pocket. It’s the last one that she had. 

She dialed the toll-free number and entered the code in the scratch area.

The system accepted the code and the automated voice prompt said, “Please dial the number you wish to call.”

Joohyun dialed the number.  She had been using call cards so that the real number of her cell phone would not be detected.  This technique made it seem like she was calling from abroad.

After two rings, the call was answered.  “Yeoboseyo?  Joohyun?  Is that you, daughter?”

The woman’s voice squeezed Joohyun’s heart so bad, she actually choked.  “Eomma?”

“Joohyun... whah, you have not called for over a week!” her mother said, happy and upset at the same time.  “How could you bear to not call me?”

“Mianhae (sorry)... eomma...”

“Are you crying?  What’s wrong?”

Everything!  Everything is wrong, eomma... eomma, I’m scared... and alone and I’m so hungry eomma... and my cat is dying... “Nothing’s wrong.  I’m just so happy to hear your voice.”

“So you miss your home?  I knew this would happen.  I told you not to go abroad!  Did I not try my hardest to make you stay???” her mom scolded in a tender, loving way.  “I told you to stay with me, did I not?  Stay with eomma, I said to you!  I told you not to go to Japan but you chose to be with your young man... and now, you're so far away, I can't hold you!  I can't comfort you when you cry!  What are the tears for?  Tell eomma!  Why are you crying... wae?"

“I’m not crying...”

“Aish... this child!” Her eomma huffed. She was getting emotional, too. “Is it cold there in TOKYO?  I heard that the weather was having crazy swings in that city. Very cold to very hot!  Unlike here in Seoul.  It’s just constantly hot these days.”

I know it’s hot in Seoul, eomma.  Joohyun looked at the view from the dusty window of her apartment.  I’m not in Tokyo... I’m in Seoul.  I never left, eomma.  “Weather is fine here... in this city...”

“But you must bring a jacket constantly,” mother advised. “Is your office far from your apartment?”

Office...?  Oh, God.  I am not an office worker, eomma.  “Not too far.”

Her mother’s sigh of frustration could be heard from the other line. “I wish you would tell me more.  You must keep me informed. I want to know what is going on with you.”

Joohyun wiped her tears.  “There’s nothing to much tell. I... I told you... I work in a small sales office here in the... uh... business district of Ginza. My boss treats me well.”

“And Allan—is your man treating you well?”

He’s gone, mother. He left me for dead.  “Yes.  Yes, he is.”

“Joohyun—”

“Eomma, we’re fine. Like... you know, it’s... of course, it’s hard... starting up in a new place but... but we’re fine. Don’t worry about us, ‘ma.”

“Has he asked you to marry him yet?”

“Eomma, please...” Joohyun groaned. The conversation was killing her.  Her lies were burying her alive.

“I have to know!” her mother insisted angrily.  “You left your family and sacrificed so much for that man.  The insurance money your father left you when he died—all that you have, you’ve entrusted to your boyfriend so he could build the two of you a home in Japan!  YOU GAVE HIM EVERYTHING OF VALUE!  I NEED TO KNOW IF HE'S TREATING YOU WELL!”

“Eomma...” Joohyun regretted making this damned phone call.  It was a bad decision.  She should not have called her mother.  “Allan is a good person—”

“I care not for what kind of person he is!  I want to know if that man is treating you well and if he has any plans on making an honest woman out of my only daughter!  You know that your brother is still furious over your decision. What do I say to C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter