Fear

Folie à DEUX
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you want to join too, Bae Joohyun-shi?”

Joohyun flinched at the sudden mention of her name, not to mention from who that question came from. “N-No… No thanks…” She mumbled an answer without actually looking at her classmate who asked that.

“Okay…”

Joohyun zoned out from hearing Seulgi’s voice who’s probably rambling different stories and whatnot with her cheery and goofy attitude.

It was weird; they’re not close or anything so why the hell would she suddenly invite her out for some upcoming afterschool activity their seniors apparently organized to celebrate the new school year. Maybe it was because of that—new year, new you? It’s the first day of their senior high freshmen year so maybe Seulgi suddenly thought of inviting everyone—including her who mostly kept to herself ever since middle school—even always selecting the corner seat of every classes so that she would not mingle with the others.

Joohyun thought of appreciating the gesture. If it’s the seniors who organized it, then Kim Junmyeon would be there, and that would be enough for Joohyun to accept the invite. But it was afterschool—a time of the day she dreaded—so she’d refuse it after all. But she still was having second thoughts of genuinely thanking Seulgi.

Seulgi was… well, bright and cheerful, as she said. That wasn’t the case during the start of their middle school though. Both of them lost their parents in an accident at the time so it was a hard time for both them, Joohyun guesses. But, Seulgi prevailed from it. Joohyun never did.

In a sense, Joohyun is envious of her. Although Seulgi was all weird in how she coped—she was all weird that first year of middle school—especially, around her. Or maybe it was all in Joohyun’s mind. All the glaring, feeling of stalking and weird s around the time felt unreal now. She’d blame it all on the trauma she has been—for all those weird s starting.

Anyway, Joohyun still feels weird around Seulgi so she avoided her like plague, even with the change of attitude after. She’s wary of her—of anyone, really. See, fear gives you this.

“Bye!”

Joohyun flinched and woke up from her reverie, realizing she’s all alone now inside the classroom. She started to panic.

The sunset-colored classroom suddenly stretches in her eyes, making her dizzy on her stance. There was a hollow ringing inside her ear and it felt like coming from the corridor. Or maybe a hollow whisper in her ear.

Joohyun silently gasped, feeling her heartbeat doubled. All the hair on her skin started to stood up. A cold breeze suddenly creeping from behind and she didn’t want to turn around to see what it was.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter