Act 1: Seulgi's POV Part 1

Regina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi

Regina – an empress or queen - a Crown Princess candidate for the empire's Crown Prince; the future mother of the whole empire, the woman who will reign with the future emperor, the woman who will stand above all women. To become Regina, the lady must go through the Regina Candidacy and the Regina Selection. 

      Regina candidates mostly came from women in the houses of nobles or neighbouring countries. Although there are some circumstances that the Regina can also come from common lineage. However, to have (or may not have) a noble background doesn't mean one is already qualified as a Regina candidate. 

     The Imperial Court – mostly composed of the Emperor (or Empress), the Holy Church, and the main Noble Houses. They help decide which women are qualified as a candidate. Once the court made their decision, the candidate will proceed through the selection. 

      The candidates will go through trials which will help them grow and develop to become the future Empress of the empire. The girl who reigns over the rest will win the crown and the title of "Crown Princess", and soon as "Empress". 

      I am Kang Seulgi – a daughter of a baron, and is currently one of the two Regina candidates of the empire. To put it simply, I am the daughter of a low ranking noble. High ranking noble ladies would mock me because of my status in the empire; however, those nobles couldn't reach the level of my reputation nor gain much favour from the imperial family so I bother not to step on their level.

      I was chosen by the Imperial Court as a qualified candidate after meeting the said qualifications: etiquette, beauty, popularity, and the likes. However, what made them choose me was simple: my influence. I gain the favour of the general public all thanks to the good-will my family and I have done in the past 18 years. Aside from that, the process was done the fastest way possible; thus, there was no time to waste. After all, the current emperor is dying. The Crown Prince is his heir and the future emperor of the empire – the imperial court must make haste when finding the Crown Prince's future wife to keep the momentum and balance of the imperial reign. The emperor doesn't have an empress (let alone having one of his consorts to rule beside him), nor any other child aside from the crown prince. 

      A knock rang into my ears. 

      The red-wood door swung open and revealed my lady-in-waiting – a daughter of a marquess. She picked up the side of her dress and curtseyed, "Your highness, the Crown Prince is summoning you to his office." 

      I smiled at her, "Very well. I shall see his royal highness, Wendy." 

      "Your Highness" – a word not fitting for a daughter of a low ranking noble. The only reason why they call me as "Your Highness" is because I am a Regina candidate – a position that deserves respect as if I have the blood of the imperial family. Once this selection is over and I am not picked as Regina, I will be back to being a child of a baron. Although, I might become the crown prince's consort; or, my father will gain a promotion from the imperial family. 

      I have no intention of becoming the empress or the crown princess, let alone become Regina. This is merely a role I must fulfil as a member of the family and a citizen of the empire. In fact, I even thought about running away to another kingdom or country to escape, or just resign my candidacy for Regina. However, for a noble woman to back out of the selection right after she was chosen would only bring shame and dishonour to her family. It will become a burden, and the aristocrats will mock everyone from the noble house. With that said, I cannot leave the selection this early – it hasn't even been a month since I was selected, and the beginning of the selection will begin next month. 

      The Regina Selection will last for six months and has three (3) stages: 1.) Practical Skills and Knowledge, 2.) Compatibility Test, and lastly, 3.) Health Evaluation. The first stage depends on the abilities and education of the candidate. To become empress or the future spouse of the heir, one must have the ability to adapt during an imperial crisis, and has the ability to assist the crown prince in terms of politics and issues of the empire. Nobles receive high-quality education the moment they are born: etiquette, history, combat skills (depending on the noble house), and music or art are some of the said educations. The second stage depends on how well is the relationship of the candidate with the Crown Prince. For one to gain his favour is to please him and make most of one's time with him. Lastly, the most important stage of all is the Health Evolution wherein the candidates will undergo a divinity process to see if the candidate has the ability to produce an heir or not. Whether you excel during the first and second stage but you don't have the ability to conceive the Crown Prince's child, you will only become an empress or crown princess by name – and another woman (most likely the other candidate) will give birth to the heir instead, which will give her the title of Empress Consort, and most of the favour (except for political and military power) will befall on her instead of the empress herself. 

      "Have you heard?" I overheard one of the maids in the hallway talking with the other, "Her highness, Lady Joo-hyun, came out from the Crown Prince's office this morning. She made quite a ruckus, and now she is back to see him again!" 

      "Did his royal highness summon her, or she went on her own?" Asked another. 

      "From what I've heard, she went in her own accord." 

      "How rude! No wonder she came out running. His royal highness must have given her a scolding. What a shame coming from a daughter of—" 

      I spoke, "Good afternoon," startling them. 

      "Your highness!" The lowered their upper body, their sign of respect. "Forgive us for not noticing you, Lady Seulgi." 

      "Oh my. Did I hear that right? Lady Joo-hyun came out running from the Crown Prince's office?" I asked, my hand covering my mouth – indicating my surprise, when in fact I just want to hear the gossip (especially since I am in the palace). 

      "U-Uhm..." 

      I giggled. "You may gossip freely. However," I lowered my hand, smiling a little bit – giving a tone of warning, "this is the palace—your voices can be heard at the end of this long hall. So, do be careful next time if you want to tittle-tattle, alright? Unless... you want those precious necks of yours be taken off? Just a reminder. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone what I heard." 

      Their eyes beamed out of relief and said in unison, "Will do, your highness!" 

      They excused themselves and left me with my escorts. However, I did manage to grasp their conversation behind me. 

      "Lady Seulgi is really nice. Despite coming from a low rank noble house, she knows the seasonal fashion trends and looks great on them too—just look at that beautiful blue gown. She is considerate as well as kind-hearted and intelligent. I wish more noble ladies are like her. Her becoming a daughter of a baron isn't fitting for a future empress—she should be under a duke or a marquess!" 

      "I really wish she will become Regina. Unlike that stern daughter of the grand duke." 

     "Keep your voice down! What if someone hears you? Do you want to put your head in the guillotine?" 

      I didn't mind them any further and continued to walk towards the Crown Prince's office. 

      The Crown Prince – the son of the Emperor and the late Empress. The future sun and father of the empire. The heir of his majesty, the emperor. I met him twice before I became a candidate: during the Founding Celebration and lastly the Regina Candidacy. After that, seeing him has become frequent. 

      At the end of the hall stood a tall black-wood door guarded by imperial guards and maids. As I proceed with my steps, the door swung open with a loud noise – a girl wearing a red and white imperial gown emerging from the room. 

      "Irene show some respect!" The prince's voice roared. 

      The lady stopped and faced him once more, "Again, your royal highness, put my proposal in consideration if you want your people not to starve! That would be all, Prince Suho." She sternly said, bowing, before turning her back. 

      I stopped from my tracks and waited for her to approach my direction. I immediately curtseyed in front of her when she met my eyes. 

      "Pleasure to see you, Lady Joo-hyun. The weather is quite nice today." I smiled. 

      She didn't greet back. Instead, "Raise your head, Seulgi." 

      Oh my. If the prince will hear that from her, there will be another dispute between them.

      I raised my head after receiving her permission. I only gave her a smile, but her cold expression remains. She has always been like this – aloof and quiet. Although, the first time I saw her before wasn't as cold as this – she was shining. 

      Bae Joo-hyun (also known as Irene to a few) – daughter of the Grand Duke and one of the heirs of the Bae Dukedom, and the current fiancée of the Crown Prince, and also a Regina candidate. She is one of the high-ranking noble ladies, but with flawless skills and knowledge. Added with the fact her lineage is the noblest of them all, she is unofficially entitled as the "Future Empress". 

      Everyone thought that since she is the prince's fiancée, she is most likely to win to Regina Selection. Wrong. The Regina Selection is the tradition of the empire that is strictly implemented to provide a good empress. Not even the wife-to-be can walk her way out of the selection. To have the role of "The Crown Prince's Fiancée" is only a heavy burden. She must prove that she can maintain and is worthy of carrying the role as the bride-to-be by ending up as the future empress. Shame will only befall on her if she fails to do so. 

      Natheless, everyone knows that their engagement was only done out of political gain. Which means she needs to go through the Regina process. And the word on the street has it that she and the prince are not in good terms—which I can confirm that they, indeed, are not.

      "Your highness, forgive me for my impertinence but you should address Lady Seulgi with honorifics regardless of your status." Wendy said, bowing her head. 

      "It's fine, Wendy. Lady Joo-hyun can call me by any name she wants to—with our without honorifics." I spoke, dismissing my lady-in-waiting's address. 

      Lady Joo-hyun didn't bother responding and passed by us. 

      Does the future grand duchess hate me? Presumably. After all, I am a potential mistress, or someone who will bring shame to her. 

      The prince's aid went out of the office door, "Lady Seulgi, the prince is waiting inside." 

      As usual, after greeting his royal highness I will converse with him as we drink tea and eat sweets. He is not a nefarious person, but he isn't exceptional as well. The prince prioritizes his people (understanding the importance of his position) but he lacks social understanding. 

      I can tell right away that the prince doesn't like the lady and favours me. After all, I was his first ever dance – meaning I caught his interests. He would always offer me present and summon me. In addition to the number of gifts I receive from him every day, they were presents that were only meant to be given to a future spouse. With that being said, everyone's saying that I will end up as Regina without any provocation. Which also mean that I am a threat to Lady Joo-hyun's faction. 

      Honestly, what a load of rubbish. I don't even want to become Regina, nor I am aiming to be. I plan to resign as Regina after the first stage. I am simply buying time. It will affect my family's reputation, but it won't be as heavy as resigning the moment the candidacy was decided. And for me to escape easily, I will just have to plan a scandal in the palace that will push me to "resign" my candidacy. 

      "Lady Seulgi are you listening?" Suho asked. 

      I blinked twice – going back to reality. "Forgive me, your highness, what were you saying?" The prince's office faces the imperial garden – it's a fascinating sight; I cannot help but get distracted every time I go here to be with him. 

      "I was asking about your opinion on the current crisis, or if you have any plausible solutions." Suho’s expression and tone changed – showing his concern, "Are you not feeling well? Do you need a doctor?" 

      I lowered my teacup. "Oh no thank you, your highness. I am perfectly fine—I was lost in thought for a moment. Are you perhaps referring to the poverty rate at the western part of the capital?" 

      "Yes," 

      "A solution, huh? How tricky." I turned my head to the right to face the window. We are approaching the drought season and followed by winter. Our main priority is to provide food to the citizens. We hardly managed last year, and I doubt that we can even make ends meet this year due to the fact the empire is low on supplies. I asked him, "Have you considered about asking aid from our allied countries?" 

      "We tackled about it from yesterday's meeting but even with their assistance... it isn't enough." 

      The Regina Selection hasn't even started yet we are now experiencing this difficult situation. The selection will start next month, and the drought and winter season will occur alongside it. I can only imagine the worst. It is best to find a solution before things will get awry. The two continuous seasons are crucial to our livelih

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter