| Getaway Car

Heavy Blue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Karina’s 

 

“Okay, class dismissed.” I mentally celebrated at the exit of the week's final lecturer. We LEAPMed students have had a challenging week, so it is definitely a relief to approach the weekends.

 

The Learning Enhanced Accelerated Program for Medicine (LEAPMed) is a 6-year accelerated medical program that leads to a Medical Degree — in hindsight, most would say that this is the equivalent of UP's well-known INTARMed program.

 

I am now in my fourth year of LEAPMed studies. Can you believe that I'll be studying for the boards and become a doctor in two years? Even though medical school is demanding, I just shrug it off since I'm very determined in becoming a doctor. It is my dream to establish a clinic that will serve the needs of people in lower-income areas, as these areas are distant from the luxury and amenities of professional medical facilities.

 

Being the daughter of two doctors gave me a very privileged life, therefore I didn't experience many challenges in life. I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, if I’m being cliché. All in all, I want to give back to the community by providing medical care since it is the only way I can impart my knowledge and resources to those who need it the most. 

 

As soon as I exited the building, Giselle, Yeji, and Ning came up and hugged me tightly. We've been best friends since high school. We chose to enroll in different courses in college, so we only see each other after classes or, if we're all busy, only on weekends.

 

Engineering is Giselle's major. However, Ning made the decision to study aviation, while Yeji chose business administration. Our family backgrounds definitely had a significant impact on each of our courses.

 

“Wow, did you guys miss me that much?”I playfully asked the three of them who are currently hugging the life out of me.

 

“Asa ka!” Ning and Giselle shouted at the same time. 

 

“Pwede umamin.” I answered, rolling my eyes at them. 

 

“Girl, you look stressed ha. Anong ginawa ng med school sa’yo?” Ning said, shaking both of my shoulders.

 

Giselle then removed Ning's grip on me before speaking, “Stop that. Karina’s pretty pa rin kaya. Porket maraming pogi sa aviation, ginaganyan mo na ang med student natin.” She laughed before gently pushing Ning away.

 

“Pogi nga, ang pangit naman ng personality! Wala rin, girl.” Ning responded irritably.

 

“You care for personality pala? I doubt that. Two years nga kayo nung red flag na ex mo.” Giselle then teased Ning once more with her ex. They really like teasing each other so this is a normal occurrence in our long term friendship. 

 

“Shut up. Pag muntik na maging kabit, hindi valid ang opinion.”Ning joked back, recalling a time when Giselle was being sought by a guy who sadly was in a relationship. Because she was unaware, my friend was likewise misled by the guy.

 

“Really now? Well at least I didn’t like someone just because he had a big .” Giselle immediately responded.

 

"Oh, you want to go there? At the very least, I didn't stay with a small-dicked jerk for what? A year?!" Ning responded harshly at Giselle. In their minds, they were absolutely slapping each other on the face.

 

Yeji and I were just glancing at the both of them as they continued bantering about their not so fortunate lovelife experiences. Fortunately, I only attempted dating two men—both of whom my parents had simply recommended. My friends can't make fun of me about it since I was sure I didn't feel anything for them.

 

I joined the chat so I could tease them too, "Both of you are just the same." The three of us are undoubtedly the friendship's chaotic side. The only person who could hold the three of us in check was Yeji. 

 

“Shut up, Ms. Single for life dahil may parental issues.” Ning teased me back which earned a loud gasp from Giselle and I. 

 

“Okay, little miss never gonna get a stable and serious relationship!” I answered back. It is now Ning and Giselle’s turn to gasp and cover their mouths. 

 

Don’t get us wrong, this is just our way of joking around each other. We never really get offended by our teasing game and we surely all know when to draw the line.

 

"Come on, you three. You guys are stressing me out." Yeji murmured, wrapping her arms around my left arm. "How about we have dinner and then go on a road trip? All of us don’t have classes tomorrow, right?" She suggested to the three of us, which was loudly approved by Ning and Giselle.

 

“Yes!!!”

 

“What are we waiting for then? Let’s go na.”

 

“Let’s use my car for later.”

 

-

 

“Mmm, wagyuuuu!” Ning gobbled the wagyu steak she had ordered while silently speaking. She definitely developed a huge liking for steaks ever since I introduced this steak house to them. 

 

“Ning your mouth is full.” Yeji reminded Ning who was clearly appreciating the steak she was devouring.

 

“Mwasharap kwashi.” Ning answered while chewing the meat. Yeji palmed her face before wiping the food off Ning's cheeks with a tissue.

 

Giselle cleared before talking. “So.. how's the fourth year of college going?”  

 

“Ayon! I think I can be an airline pilot in my fifth year. Kastress lang teh! Grabe ang pressure from the fam.” Ning reacted negatively. She comes from a family of pilots, and her parents run a well-known airline in the Philippines. Her kuya Johnny and Lucas are now airline pilots, therefore she is under a great deal of pressure.

 

“Gagi, wag.” Giselle teased, resulting in a crumpled tissue flying into her face. “But, seriously, let things happen naturally. You're young, so have fun while learning."

 

“I agree. Once you start working naman it’s a never ending process na so might as well enjoy everything before you enter adulting.” Yeji added as she took a sip from her wine. 

 

“Truly mga besties! Ah, kailangan ko na ulit ng landi.” Ning answered, which earned a couple of laughs from us. “Kayo ba?”

 

“Business Ad is okay naman.. Despite the fact that I loathe some of my instructors. I think they’re too demanding kasi. I'm also graduating this year... maybe after graduation, I'll start working in our company." Yeji responded. Since she enrolled in a four-year program, she will be the first to graduate in our group.

 

"I know right!” Giselle said angrily, "Some professors really are the spawn of satan… I actually don't have any comments about my course, except from.. I absolutely detest mat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter