Class

Fate of the Winx Saga

“Get up, Seulgi,” said Wendy while shaking the sleeping girl, her roommate.

Usually, she’s a morning person. However, last night's event was…too much. After her encounter with Bae Joohyun, she went back to school and spent four hours in the library.

She was trying to understand the power inside her and Kwangya’s history. What Joohyun said motivated her. Although, she must admit that Bae Joohyun is a hard and unfriendly person.

It was clear that Bae Joohyun has no intention to help her. Though she gave her one interesting piece of advice, it wasn’t enough. That’s the reason she was at the library last night.

“Come on, Seulgi! You wouldn’t want to miss your first class! Get up!” Said Wendy.

Seulgi groaned. She is paired with an annoying roommate. 

 

“The black mamba is back?” Asked Taeyeon.

“You’re not surprised?” Asked Joohyun. 

“No. I have expected it”

“What?” Taeyeon pulls herself away from her desk and sighed. For a year she has been hoping this news is false. Just a rumor. However, Joohyun has confirmed it.

It’s a matter of time before the Black Mamba makes her move. 1000 years ago the Black Mamba was defeated by the most powerful fairies in Kwangya.

One of them is Joohyun’s mother. She inherited her mother’s power. More like she transfers the power to her to protect Joohyun from her enemies. The Black Mamba is one of her enemies.

Taeyeon pulls herself away from her desk and sighed. For a year she has been hoping this news is false. Just a rumor. However, Joohyun has confirmed it.

It’s a matter of time before the Black Mamba makes her move. 1000 years ago the Black Mamba was defeated by the most powerful fairies in Kwangya.

One of them is Joohyun’s mother. She inherited her mother’s power. More like she transfers the power to her to protect Joohyun from her enemies. The Black Mamba is one of her enemies.

“A thousand years ago, the Black Mamba was defeated by the most powerful fairies in Kwangya. She wanted to rule Kwangya by absorbing fairy magic and their soul. Then use them to open the dark world where dangerous magical creatures live. However, she was defeated by the dragon flame”

Joohyun squinted her brows. 

“What are you saying?” Asked Joohyun confused.

If the Black Mamba is back, then Kwangya’s life depends on Joohyun. She is the key to saving this world from extinction. The reason why Black Mamba was defeated was because of her mother. 

Before Taeyeon could continue, a knock on her office door interrupt them. 

“I’m sorry to interrupt but the class is about to start. The students are waiting for you,” said Sunny, Taeyeon's secretary.

“No. I demand an explanation right now!” Said Joohyun furiously. 

Taeyeon sigh.

“You’ll get the answer you need after class,” said Taeyeon as she gets up and ready to go to the stone circle.

“I don’t have it with me!” Said Joohyun suddenly.

Her hands gripped the hand's chair tightly, biting her lips in annoyance. Taeyeon keeps a lot of things and Joohyun realizes she’s becoming just like Taeyeon.

If the only way to save Kwangya is by using the dragon flame, then she must admit her situation. Despite how much she hates her power, the world depends on it so much. 

“What do you mean?”

Joohyun gulped. She has gone this far. It’s too late to go now.

“When you sent me that summer, EXO had already burned down. I didn’t see anybody there. People were burned into ashes. However, I did meet someone there. The Black Mamba,” said Joohyun.

“What?” 

“I-I wanted to kill it right away. But…I can’t. I can’t summon the dragon flame”

It seems that Taeyeon understood what was going on here. She instructed Sunny that her class will start a bit late than they have planned.

“Do you know why?” Joohyun shook her head.

“Then what happened? What does she like?" asked Taeyeon.

Honestly, Joohyun prefers not to remember it because it was a horrible event for her. It was the scariest moment in her life because for the first time she doesn't any power. 

She was...hopeless and desperate to summon her power but she can't. What was weird was that the Black Mamba didn't kill her when she had the time. 

"This is my warning to all Kwangya. My descendant will finish my work"

"That's it?" Joohyun nodded. 

Based on the history they were told, Black Mamba is dead killed by the powerful fairy in Kwangya before she hides with her husband somewhere no one knows where. 

So, it is impossible for the Black Mamba to be alive, or...there is more to the history. Something in the past happened but historians cut that part off in order to hide the ugly truth of what really happened during the Great Battle between the Black Mamba and the Dragon Flame. 

"You said the Black Mamba was killed in the past then...how can she be back now?" Asked Joohyun. 

"I don't always have the answers to everything, you know that and I will find out. Now, let's go to class"

 

 

“Must be something big if she’s late,” said Joy.

“We’ve done this last year! Can I go first?” Asked Yeri excitedly.

“No. The last time you use this, you almost cut down the entire energy of GG!” Said Wendy.

“I was a kid! Now I know how to control my power!” Said Yeri pouting at the end.

“I still want to live so, better do it when I’m not around,” said Joy. 

The youngest rolled her eyes and cross her hands like a baby. Meanwhile, Kang Seulgi sitting beside Wendy, busy with her mind. 

Perhaps that is because she’s still sleepy after forcing herself to stay up last night. She would probably do the same tonight. 

“Hey,” called someone. 

She’s a girl. Probably the same age as her. Her eyes glimmer and she has pretty heart shape lips. 

“I’m Jisoo. Kim Jisoo” said the girl.

“Kang Seulgi.”

“I know,” said Jisoo grinning she continue,

“You’re quite famous after your encounter with Bae Joohyun yesterday. How was she? Did you get anything from her?” Asked Jisoo curious. 

Seulgi shook her head and Jisoo chuckled at her response.

"Oh well, what do you expect from Bae Joohyun? A mysterious and powerful fairy in Kwangya," said Jisoo. 

"Don't expect too much. That's what I learned from Bae Joohyun," said Seulgi jokingly which made Jisoo laugh. 

"Hey, Jisoo. How is Lisa doing?"

"Hi, Wendy! She's great! She's doing very well adapting with her Specialty friends!"

"Glad to know that!" said Wendy happily.

Seulgi who is sitting between them, look confused since she doesn't understand their conversation and clearly, Jisoo noticed it because she's a mind fairy!

Who can read people's emotions?

"Look someone is confused over here! Lisa is my girlfriend. She's a specialty," said Jisoo.

After two days in GG School of Fairy, Seulgi understands that Specialty and Fairy are studying in this school. Specialty mostly is trained to be a warrior, an army. 

Therefore, most of their pieces of training are about defending themselves including body combat, swords, guns, and arrows. Seulgi nodded.

"By the way, has anybody seen Joohyun unnie?" asked Wendy. 

"No. Maybe she's with Miss Kim. You know how close they are since last year's event," said Yeri.

"Speak of the devil," said Joy.

From where they are sitting, Miss Kim and Joohyun are walking to the stone circle. Like always, Joohyun walked as if nothing happens and her cold aura intimidated some of the students.

As a mind fairy, Jisoo can feel others' emotions. Including the most powerful fairy in Kwangya, Bae Joohyun.

"She's anxious," said Jisoo whispering to Seulgi.

"Who?"

"Bae Joohyun"

Her eyes divert to the one and only Bae Joohyun who seems to walk completely fine. As if nothing has happened. But according to Jisoo, she's hiding something. 

Kang Seulgi made eye contact with Bae Joohyun who gave her a cold glance before shifting her attention to Miss Kim. Whatever she's hiding, Seulgi is curious. 

"Good morning, students. I'm sorry for being late. Let's start our lesson for today," said Miss Kim. 

 

"The stone circle helps you focus on your power. You must focus on your power. Use positive emotion. Think of beautiful memories,” said Miss Kim.

Students took turns practicing their power. Trying their best to allocate their power to the center of the stone circle. Last year, they did the same thing. 

That explains some of them are having no trouble generating their power to the stone circle. Including Bae Joohyun.

When it’s time for her turn, all eyes focus on her. They cannot wait to witness her powerful and magical power. 

As she walk to the center, keeping her face as straight as possible. Meanwhile, deep in her heart, she wishes to skip this part and run away back to her room.

“To control your power, you must feel it. Own it and accept it. In that way, you can generate your power easily,” said Miss Kim.

She hesitates to reaching for the stone circle. Afraid that she no longer has the power. Shouldn’t she be glad, though? 

The fact that she no longer has her power? That she could finally be…normal? Isn’t this what she wants?

“Come on, Joohyun,” said Miss Kim encouraging her student.

All attention focuses on her. Whispers can be heard. This should be an easy task for Joohyun.

But her heart wants to move on. She took a deep breath, bit her lips, reach for the stone circle then close her eyes.

A spark of fire should be there in the center of the stone. However, nothing came out. Joohyun…can’t feel anything.

“I can’t,” said Joohyun as she move backward, away from the stone circle.

“Why?” Asked Seulgi all of a sudden.

Her bravery…or some of them might call it reckless and stupid of her to ask that, made Joohyun glance at her.

Stare at the girl who dares to ask her that question. Both of them stare at each other. One full of curiosity and one full of annoyance as well as anger. 

Without saying anything, Joohyun left the stone circle with Jennie following right behind her. Meanwhile, the students can’t stop whispering to each other.

“What just happened?” asked Joy.

“Is it possible Joohyun unnie lose her power?” Asked Yeri.

Kang Seulgi nudged Wendy who seems to be deep in her thought when usually she’s the talkative one.

“What’s wrong?” Asked Seulgi.

“If Joohyun unnie loses her power then we are not safe,” said Wendy. 

“Alright, everyone. Kang Seulgi, you’re next,” said Miss Kim. 

It took her seconds to realize her name was called. Her mind is still thinking about Joohyun which made her hesitate to stand up.

But Wendy nudged her and push her a little to the front and she didn’t have a choice to go.

This is her first time in the stone circle and this will be her first time showing her power to everyone.

She glances at Miss Kim as if she’s asking permission though she doesn’t need to. Then she close her eyes after Miss Kim gave her a nod. 

Positive memories. Positive memories. Sudden memories of her past came across her mind.

She’s with her parents in Disneyland. They were smiling at each other because they were having a great time in that place. 

Her dad bought her a lollipop and together they rode the merry-go-round. It was indeed the most memorable memory for her which made her smile a little.

Only then to get disturbed by murmurs from students whom she kind of forgets that she’s not alone.

She open her eyes and there right in front of her, she could see blue sparks of fire. It’s blue. 

“It’s blue?” Asked Yeri sounds surprised.

Miss Kim remains quiet as she observes Seulgi’s power and her mind seems to be very much busy. 

What? Have they never seen a blue fire before? Thought Seulgi. 

“Alright, everyone. Class dismisses. Seulgi, come with me,” said Miss Kim.


 

“Why didn’t you tell me anything, Hyun?” 

“I didn’t want you to worry, Jen”

“I should worry about you, Hyun! I’m your cousin!”

“Which gave me a reason not to tell you,” said Joohyun as she slam her body to her bed.

Jennie sighed as she took a sit at the edge of Joohyun’s bed. It made Jennie sad to know her cousin doesn’t share her struggle.

They have been together ever since they were kids and Jennie thought they share everything.

Joohyun who notices the sadness on Jennie’s face can’t help but sigh. She bring herself up and sit across Jennie and took her hands.

She took her time before she speaks by rubbing Jennie’s upper hand with her thumbs. It was never Joohyun’s intention to make Jennie sad. 

It's just that…she can’t. She can’t say it to anyone. Not when she knew everybody in this world depend their life on her. People would have been in panic mode if they know Joohyun lose her power and the Black Mamba is back.

What could be worse than having a hero without power and at the same time the world's enemy is back from its grave?

“Not every secret I could share with anyone. Especially this,” said Joohyun.

“But I’m not just anybody, Hyun. I’m your cousin. We’re so close like sisters, aren’t we?” 

“Yes, we are but…Jennie. I can’t risk my only secret being exposed. Not when I know the power I have is the answer to protect this world,” said Joohyun and took the silence as her opportunity to continue. ?

"What do you mean?" 

She glances at Jennie for a while before she walks to her desk and grabs the only thing that keeps her moving on in Kwangya. A necklace from her parent. Somehow, through this necklace, she could still feel their presence. 

Then, where are you guys? If the Black Mamba is back then she is the person who could kill her because her mom once did it. How? How could she kill her yet she's back?

Could it be her soul still alive? Or did she transforms into a monster that allows her to stay alive? She couldn't say anything to Jennie about the Black Mamba. It will only bring chaos to Kwangya and GG High School to know that the scariest enemy is back. 

Their protector cannot help them. 

“I thought I only lost the dragon flame but it turned out I lost everything,” Joohyun continued.

“What do you think happened?” Asked Jennie.

That is a question she’s been dying to find out the answer to. What happened? Where did it go? Is it still inside her? The more she thought about it, the more she finds it ironic. 

People always knew how much she hates her power because of what happened in the past and now the more she learns about her power, the more she hates it. 

Because her power could be the reason why she is separated from her parents. One new piece of information she got from Miss Kim before the class earlier. 

"Ironic...isn't it? I, who despise my power, yet now when it's gone...I'm dying to search for it...because of the responsibility I carry..."