Final

As Long As You're Mine

 

“I can’t do this. I can’t do this. I can’t do this. I can’t do this. I can’t do this!!” the brunette kept chanting as she crouched down in one corner of the dressing room, hands covering her face.

“Unnie! Stop that or you’ll ruin your make up!” Yoona scolded the older girl, and Taeyeon just grinned at the scene while fixing her wig, her make-up already perfect.

 

 

It was the school festival and, aside from performing as individual groups, the music, dance, and band clubs also decided to stage a play as part of their collaborative activities. But instead of writing their own play though, the girls chose to reenact a musical instead, and Wicked© was chosen via draw.

Of course, it would just be an abridged version of the original since there were only less than twenty of them in total and time constraints’ also an issue.

And since majority of them wanted to, somehow, do that particular masterpiece some justice, it was a unanimous decision to give the clubs’ top singers the lead roles of Elphaba, Galinda, and Fiyero, while the others do double duties for multiple major and minor roles.

Predictably, Stephanie wouldn’t be Stephanie if she didn’t argue her way into Galinda’s role.

It was fortunate that everybody in their respective clubs were vocally adept, but, sadly, Fany just didn’t have the needed vocal capacity for that specific role, even though the character herself would’ve been perfect for her.

Needless to say that the others told her that up front, resulting in a verbal spar between her and Taeyeon, which earned them a time out from practice courtesy of band leader Kelly.

In the end, it was decided that Kelly would take the role of Fiyero because of her charm and cool good looks, Taeyeon would take Galinda because of her vocal flexibility and semi-serious and sometimes quirky personality, and Jessica would take Elphaba because of her icy persona.

Taeyeon and Kelly just shrugged and didn’t have any qualms about it. Jessica, however, didn’t take the decision too well and vocalized her objection adamantly, mainly because the woman didn’t really want to put on green body paint just for the sake of a lead role.

It was a struggle at first, but Jessica was, first and foremost, a dedicated person, and she really hated to disappoint anybody in the long run, so her friends and club mates finally got her to concede to doing it (and because Yoona and Cici gave her their dreaded puppy eyes and pouty lips).

 

And after all the drama, from late night rehearsals to sore throats, it was finally the day of the play and the girls were about to go on soon, given that someone could talk some sense into Jessica and snap her out from her worked up state.

Only five minutes until show time and Taeyeon could still hear Jessica mumbling to herself.

The music club president stood up and was about to go talk to her when she noticed that Kelly was also headed the brunette’s way. Taeyeon stood back and watched them interact, Kelly whispering what she assumed were words of reassurance to get Jessica to relax.

After a while, Jessica’s head looked up and Taeyeon finally got to see her smile for the first time that day, a pretty and bashful blush adorning her face despite the face paint.

Taeyeon frowned.

She was glad that Jessica seemed to have calmed down a bit, but wasn’t sure why she found it curiously disturbing that whatever Kelly said made her blush like that. Seeing the two together made the midget uncomfortable for some reason, which was weird because Taeyeon knew how close they were to begin with.

The short woman didn’t have the time to ponder more on it, though, because she heard Juhyun yelling at all the girls to get ready. Taeyeon spared one last glance towards the brunette, and coincidentally, she was looking at her, too, and they shared a secret smile, the older girl’s own nervousness ebbing away. Jessica always had that effect on others, and Taeyeon noticed that she really didn’t mind it.

The girls took their places on stage, and the midget felt Jessica’s hand enclose on hers tightly before letting go as the curtain came up.

 

 

 

So far, so good.

They were two-thirds into the play, and the girls couldn’t be happier that they were almost finished.

Taeyeon’s smile faded, though, as she realized what the next scene was.

Personally, the short woman was really apprehensive when they talked about which scenes to focus on for the play, and when majority of the group approved of doing this particular scene without any edits, Taeyeon really wanted to voice out her disagreement.

But when she saw how excited the majority of the girls were, she sullenly kept her thoughts to herself.

 

The lights went on again, and Taeyeon had no choice but to grit her teeth and watch, a bitter taste in .

 

*Jessica and Kelly singing As Long As You’re Mine*

 

Kiss me too fiercely
Hold me too tight
I need help believing
You're with me tonight.

 

Jessica started the song as she walked towards Kelly slowly, and, if anyone didn’t know any better, they’d say sensually as well, her hand lifting up to Kelly’s face.

 

My wildest dreamings
Could not foresee
Lying beside you
With you wanting me

 

Kelly reciprocated by reaching for Jessica, showing how she slid her hands from her hips before locking them in place on her waist, squeezing them "unnecessarily."

Taeyon’s eyes narrowed.

 

Just for this moment
As long as you're mine
I've lost all resistance
And crossed some borderline

 

Kelly fully wrapped her arms around Jessica in a tight embrace as they gazed into each other’s eyes intently. Jessica then nestled her head on the crook of Kelly’s neck, lightly swaying them in a light dance.

Taeyeon continued to grit her teeth in silent irritation.

 

And if it turns out
It's over too fast
I'll make every last moment last
As long as you're mine

 

They continued to sway to the music.

Jessica looked up and the two, again, stared at each other, her hands cupping Kelly’s face, her fingers ghosting over every detail in a soft caress.

 

Maybe I'm brainless
Maybe I'm wise
But you've got me seeing
Through different eyes

 

Kelly took Jessica’s hands and boldly kissed them before singing her part, then slowly led her towards the mattress set up for that scene.

Taeyeon’s eyes widened in surprise, the others around her doing their best to stay quiet and control their giddiness.

 

Somehow I've fallen
Under your spell
And somehow I'm feeling
It's up that I fell

 

Kelly helped Jessica sit down on the mattress and sat on it herself, the two not breaking their eye contact.

Taeyeon’s hands clenched into tight fists, trying to keep herself from shaking.

 

Every moment
As long as you're mine
I'll wake up my body
And make up for lost time

 

The two sang in duet, their voices in perfect sync as Kelly slowly moved her hand up and down Jessica’s arm.

From where Taeyeon was standing, she could clearly see how affected Jessica was, her blush apparent yet tried to pay it no mind and continued singing.

 

Say there's no future
For us as a pair

And though I may know
I don't care

 

Kelly, again, took Jessica in her arms, and slowly adjusted her so that the brunette was kind of like straddling the younger woman (the midget hoped it was just for the audience’s sake), Jessica’s hands Kelly’s neck gently.

At that point, Taeyeon was trying very, very hard to contain herself from showing any violent reactions. She backed away from the others so that they wouldn’t see how seeing the two like that was affecting her.

 

Just for this moment
As long as you're mine
Come be how you want to
And see how bright we shine

 

They continued to stare at each other as they sang their hearts out, and the music club president couldn’t help but wonder if what she was witnessing at that moment was still a part of the show or something more real.

 

Borrow the moonlight
Until it is through
And know I'll be here
Holding you
As long as you're mine

 

Jessica placed her arms around Kelly’s neck and brought her closer, the younger woman’s arms embracing the other as the two finished their song.

At the back of her mind, Taeyeon wished she took Fiyero’s role instead.

She was probably so out of it that the midget didn’t notice Tiffany beside her, telling her to get ready for the next act.

Taeyeon snapped out of her stupor and took a deep breath, Jessica and Kelly’s smiles haunting her for the rest of the day as they wrapped up their scene.

 

Fiyero (Kelly):
What is it?

Elphaba (Jessica):
It's just...for the first time...
I feel...wicked.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh my gosh, you guys were awesome!”

“Can I please have your autograph?”

“Please take a picture with me!”

The huge reception of the play was something the girls didn’t expect, if they were to be completely honest.

Yes, everyone was certain they did wonderfully and that people would want an autograph or two, but that much?

Lots of people waited for the girls after the show, and it went a little crazy for a while, especially after Jessica and Kelly walked out from behind the stage after cleaning up. Apparently, their little lovey dovey scene was a big hit, and made them even more popular than they already were. Nobody would be surprised if the two of them received tons of love letters before the day ended.

“Taeyeon-ah! The crowd’s dying down, most of them are now over there hounding Kelly and Jessie. Er Jie said to pack up and head back to our own club rooms first before we check out the rest of the festival,” Sunny said, so Taeyeon went with her, Fany, and Seohyun, who was dragging a sulking Lili backstage (probably because only eight people asked for her autograph).

The midget looked back for a bit to try and locate Jessica, but she was still swallowed by a good number of people along with Kelly, so she just sighed and went on ahead.

The three clubs finally finished packing up the theater then lounged around inside their respective club rooms, the music and band clubs waiting for Jessica and Kelly, respectively, to return.

Lili and Cici were getting antsy, so they, along with the other girls from the band and dance clubs, went ahead to enjoy the festivities.

They still had three more hours before they would perform again solely as the music club, so they wanted to make the most of the time they had to play around.

Taeyeon would’ve gone with the others but she really wanted to wait for Jessica first since she needed her for something club-related.

The midget groaned and lightly banged her head repeatedly on the table, clearly not impressed that she was just fooling herself and she clearly knew it.

She really just wanted to spend time with Jessica, and, for some reason, really wanted to get her away from Kelly.

“Taeng, you okay?” said girl looked up at Er Jie who was looking at her curiously.

“Nothing. I guess I’m just tired from the play,” the younger woman said nonchalantly.

“You did great, you know. The three of you were awesome! And it gained us a lot of attention, too, which is good for all the clubs. What did you think of Kelly and Jessie’s performance? Those two were so awkward when we practiced that scene, but they really pulled it off!” Er Jie said, pleased with herself.

She was the one who directed that scene, after all, and Taeyeon wanted to strangle her for it at that moment.

“Yea, they did,” the midget grudgingly answered, trying her very best to act indifferent.

The door to the clubroom opened and the two sole occupants turned their heads to see two worn out women, each carrying dozens of sweets and whatnot, most likely from their fans. Taeyeon quickly straightened herself up as Kelly walked towards the table and deposited her stash on top.

“Help yourselves. Save some for the others, though,” Kelly said tiredly and slumped down next to Er Jie who laughed at her before rummaging through the gifts.

Taeyeon stared at Jessica who was leaning on the wall with her eyes closed, and, as if on autopilot, the older girl stood and went up to her as the brunette’s eyes opened and both locked eyes on each other. Taeyeon could tell the girl was tired as she gave a small smile, the shorty reaching out and helped her with her load before smiling back.

“You were wonderful, Sooyeon-ah. Great job,” Taeyeon said tenderly, and the younger woman’s eyes seemed to brighten up, her smile becoming wider.

“So were you, Taengoo. I’m glad we finally had an opportunity to sing and act together on stage.”

Taeyeon’s eyes softened at that. She shyly turned around just in time to see Er Jie and Kelly look away from her and Jessica, amused expressions dancing on their faces, and Tae’s eyes narrowed slightly at them as she walked towards the table to put Sica’s stuff down.

“What?” the club leader asked a bit harshly, a light blush covering her cheeks.

Kelly just grinned while Er Jie chuckled, Taeyeon’s glare intensifying but the two smartly continued to keep quiet.

“Taengoo, what’s wrong?”

Taeyeon took a deep breath before facing Jessica, smiling while shaking her head.

“Nothing, Sica-ya. Do you want to look around outside or do you want to rest for a bit?”

“Well, I am a bit hungry. I assume the others are already enjoying the festival. Let me rest for a few minutes then we can go.”

The shorty nodded her head and sat down beside the brunette, the latter quickly laying her head down for a nap. From her peripheral vision, Taeyeon saw Kelly and Er Jie share another knowing look before standing up.

“We’ll be going first, then. We still need to drop by my club room first. Er Jie’s coming with me. We’ll see you, two, later!” Kelly said as they left, but not before quickly giving a peck on Jessica’s cheek that got the midget’s nostrils flaring, Er Jie giving her a playful wink before she closed the door.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes then looked at Jessica, her head resting comfortably on the table, her breathing already even. The club president took in her calm face then quietly took her phone out and quickly snapped a picture of the sleeping girl.

“When will you ever love me?” she silently whispered to the other longingly.

 


 

(Flashback)

“E-excuse me?!?”

“You know, I never really like to repeat myself. But since I’m trying to gain something here, I guess this is an exception, so listen carefully. Jung Sooyeon, I like you. Not in a “we’re friends” kind of like. This is the “let’s date” kind. Now, from the look you’re giving me, I’m going to assume that you finally understand what I’m trying to say.”

Judging from Jessica’s wide eyes and quick breathing that she might very well go into shock soon, Taeyeon carefully approached her then embraced the younger woman tightly, trying her best to let the other know that she was serious.

Jessica stood frozen for a minute or two before she tentatively lifted her arms and quickly hugged her friend back before gently pushing her away.

The two stared at each other, and Taeyeon could see it in the brunette’s eyes that she was battling some inner turmoil.

The midget knew right then that her feelings weren’t reciprocated.

She backed up and turned around and was about to leave when Jessica suddenly took her hand. Taeyeon didn’t want to look at her, didn’t want to see pity, didn’t want to see rejection.

“Taengoo, wait, please.”

Taeyeon sighed. This was a mistake, but she couldn’t ignore the younger woman when she was like this. The midget turned back around and looked at her, eyes dull.

“You don’t need to say anything, Sica. I wasn’t really expecting anything. This is just momentary insanity of some sort, and I guess I just wanted to get that off my chest. It’s silly, right? I mean, it’s obvious you’re not interested in these types of things, and I’m sure a relationship isn’t a priority for you. This’ll grow out of me eventually, maybe even tomorrow!”

Taeyeon cursed herself internally as Jessica suddenly let go of her hand and stepped back, confusion and hurt evident in the brunette’s eyes.

“Don’t do this to me,” she hissed, then quickly gathered her things and left.

Taeyeon didn’t chase after her, berating herself for being stupid as she unintentionally filled Jessica's mind with doubts and wounded her pride, all in a span of ten minutes. She walked over to the railings of the roof and looked down and saw Jessica as she ran away and didn’t spare the midget another glance.

Three days after, Taeyeon swallowed her pride and gathered all the strength she had and asked Jessica to meet her again on the rooftop after school. Club activities were suspended since exam week was approaching, so practices were postponed.

Taeyeon heard the door to the roof open but didn’t hear any footsteps, so she turned around to look at the object of her affections, and what she saw made her heart ache.

Sooyeon was just standing there, her hand still on the doorknob, an apprehensive look on her face as if the older woman was going to do or say anything to offend her even more. Taeyeon took a step in her direction and the brunette took one step back, and the midget realized then that her feelings for Jessica ran deeper than “like” if seeing her act like that towards the older woman hurts like hell.

Of course, Taeyeon tried very hard to not show it much.

“Sooyeon-ah, I won’t be able to talk to you properly with you all the way there. Just hear me out. Please,” Taeyeon said, her voice slightly cracking at the end.

Jessica still looked like she was ready to bolt anytime soon, but one of her good points was that she’s not one to leave things unfinished, especially if it involves another person she’s close to. The younger woman slowly walked towards the other, her hard eyes never leaving Taeyeon’s as she got closed the distance between them.

“I know I should apologize for what I said, for confusing you, for unintentionally hurting you. I guess it’s just a defense mechanism of mine. But I won’t apologize for liking you, because I really do. Don’t ask me when or how or why, because I honestly don’t know myself, I just simply do. I’m sorry that I handled it badly when I saw you so confliceted. You could say I got scared of you saying how shameless I was or something like that.”

Jessica was just staring at the older woman who just blushed and looked away, not wanting to meet her eyes. The midget heard the other approaching then felt a warm hand cup her face as the brunette gently forced Taeyeon to look at her. She smiled sadly, and the midget felt her heart aching all over again.

“Tae, I really don’t know what to say. You’re right, being in a relationship isn’t high on my list right now, but I do appreciate your feelings towards me.” Jessica took her hand back and gazed out the railings.

“You know, I’m used to dismissing several confessions from different people already. It’s not easy, and I don’t even know them personally yet I always feel awful for not reciprocating their feelings. I’m not exactly certain of my feelings for you, Taengoo-ya. You’re special to me, not just because you’re a friend or a groupmate. You’re my confidante, my writing partner, my go-to person. We’ve been getting closer still as we continue to write songs together, staying up late for study sessions, or just rant about small things that we’re unable to do with anyone else. I don’t want to lose whatever it is that we have.”

Jessica looked back at the older woman and took her hand in her warm ones once again.

“Please don’t take this the wrong way, Tae. Give me time. I’m just not ready yet. I want to make sure that I deserve those feelings. In due time, if I’m ready, I can answer you properly. The last thing I want is to hurt you. I’m not asking you to wait for me, but I need to figure out my feelings first. You understand, right?”

Taeyeon looked at Sooyeon, the brunette’s eyes shone with worry and apprehension as if it was the club president who was rejecting her. Taeyeon smiled at that. It was so like Sooyeon to worry about things she was not supposed to, and it just made the midget like her even more, even if she found it endearingly silly.

“I’m serious about my feelings for you, Sooyeon-ah. They won’t change overnight. Take all the time you need, but you should know by now that I’m not one to simply give up. You’re unsure of your feelings for me now, so I’ll take it upon myself to help you with it. Forgive me for being bold, but starting today, you’re officially being courted.”

 


 

“Taengoo? Are you sure you’re okay? You’re awfully quiet today.”

Said girl deliberately ignored Jessica and just kept on walking as she sipped her soda.

“Taeyeon?”

The midget continued to snub the younger woman, and Taeyeon could sense that the other was getting a bit annoyed. Jessica then stopped abruptly so Taeyeon stopped as well, still not looking at the brunette.

“Will you please talk to me? Or even just look at me. I feel like I’m talking to air!”

Taeyeon turned around and looked at Jessica but still didn’t say anything. It was a good thing that they walked towards a secluded spot, or else Jessica wouldn’t dare do anything to bring unnecessary attention to herself.

“If you’re going to be like this, I’ll just leave you be, since it looks like I’m just a bother to you,” the taller girl exclaimed as she her heel and started to walked away.

Taeyeon didn’t go after her, but she did feel guilty for upsetting the brunette. She sat down on a nearby bench, lifted her legs up and placed her head on her bent knees. She didn’t know how much time passed, but she only moved from her position when she felt someone sit beside her and a familiar weight was placed on her head. The midget looked up and saw Sooyeon next to her, a frown marring her lovely face and worry swirled in her honey brown eyes.

“Taengoo, please talk to me. Did something happen? Did I do something wrong?”

Even when she’s uneasy, Jessica still looked beautiful.

Taeyeon knew that it was wrong to have those thoughts when the brunette was obviously stressed out for her sake, but the shorty couldn’t really help herself for thinking how adorable the younger woman was being.

Taeyeon placed her legs down and leaned heavily on the taller girl. Jessica stilled for a few seconds then relaxed as her hands grabbed onto slightly smaller ones.

“I’m sorry. I’m being stupid. I’m just having a moment of insecurity which, I know, is really unlike me,” Taeyeon vaguely said. Jessica sighed heavily beside her.

“That doesn’t really explain why you’re being so exasperating. Care to share? In detail, if you don’t mind.”

The midget giggled a bit at that. Blunt as always, yet always willing to lend an ear.

Taeyeon reluctantly pulled away from the taller girl and stared straight forward, not having the courage to look at her lest she lost her nerve.

“You were really magnificent during the play. Never doubted you for a bit, and I’m also really glad to have shared the stage with you. Thing is, I feel I’m not the only one.”

From her peripheral vision, Taeyeon could see the confusion in Jessica’s face.

“You know how I feel about you. It’s been five months since I confessed. I said that you could take all the time you needed to sort out your feelings for me, and I meant it. I-it’s just, well, I didn’t take into account that you may like someone else.

When I saw you perform with Kelly, you looked so at ease with her, so comfortable, especially when she held you. At that time, I wasn’t sure if you’re just that good of an actress or you really enjoyed having her all over you,” Taeyeon bitterly said as she stood up and clenched her fists, her eyes tearing a bit as she stood in front of Jessica.

“It’s frustrating, because no matter how confident I may be, when it comes to you, I become vulnerable. How can I ever compete with Kelly? I know that your relationship with her is different from your relationship with me. I get that. I was the one who confessed, and now, I’m the one who’s trying to make you fall for me, but that doesn’t change the fact that there’s a possibility that you’d rather be with someone like her than with me, and it’s driving me crazy!”

Taeyeon wanted to run away after her confession, but Jessica suddenly reached out and grabbed her hands to prevent the older woman from leaving. The midget could see the battle raging inside the brunette’s eyes, and Taeyeon just wanted to kick herself for putting the younger woman through her bipolar attitude.

She knew she wasn’t the easiest person to get along with and she felt guilty for it.

“What do you want from me, Kim Taeyeon?” Jessica whispered as she continued to stare at the older girl. Taeyeon didn’t hesitate in answering.

“I want your love, Sooyeon-ah. But I’m not going to force you into giving it to me. I don’t want to give you up, and I’ll pursue you no matter how long, but if there’s even the slightest possibility that you like someone else, I’ll stop. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable, and I will never make you choose. I just need to know if I still have a shot,” Taeyeon said as she freed her hands from the other’s grasp and cupped Jessica’s face.

“I love you, Jung Sooyeon. I didn’t expect my feelings for you to run this deep, but it did. I’ll continue to pursue you because I want you to know that I am dead serious. You’re the only one who can tell me to stop. I will never pressure you into answering me if you’re not ready. But please bear with me and just let me love you for now, I’m okay with that.”

Taeyeon leaned down and kissed the younger woman’s forehead before straightening up. She took Jessica’s hand in hers and pulled her up and gave her a reassuring smile. The midget jumped when the brunette suddenly hugged her, her sweet voice on Taeyeon’s neck making her shiver slightly.

“Thank you, Taeyeon. For everything. I don’t deserve you, but nevertheless, thank you for being patient with me. I’ll get there. In fact, I think I’m already on my way.”

Taeyeon’s eyes widened and her pulse raced. Jessica smiled sweetly at her as she pulled the midget along towards the clubroom, the older woman’s insecurities effectively abated for the meantime, her smile permanently plastered on her face for the rest of the day.

 


 

A/N:

Character development completely here ahaha! Taeyeon is a bit bipolar in this story. She knows what she wants but doesn’t really want to push if she thinks she’s being an inconvenience.

Anyhoo, thought to give this story another chance at life ahahahaha

Thanks for reading, darlings! Stay safe <3