Can't Say that I Love You

The Chance of Love

 

Seulgi turned off the engine and took time longer than usual inside her city car. She used the rear-view mirror to see the reflection of her face. All she could see is a tired unhappy woman who lived her life like an hourglass. Whenever the sand started to run out, it would only need to be turned upside down and the sand would be refilled by itself. It’s tiring but well, it’s what life meant for her.

 

Financially, she was alright. She didn’t mean to be arrogant but she was only 27 years old within this year yet she had managed to buy a car, an apartment in the centre of the town, and she got enough savings for traveling the world if she wanted to. Not only that, but she also had achieved her biggest dream which was to become a well-known solo singer.

 

Furthermore, she got additional money by being a DJ on a famous radio station in town. Everyone wanted to be like her but weirdly, if Seulgi was given a chance to turn back time, she would do it immediately. Yes, she was rich and she got almost everything she needed with her. Almost. Because she couldn’t have a happy love life like how she wanted it. She got many fans and friends around her but still, at times, she felt lonely and that she couldn’t do anything but locking herself in her bedroom and crying.

 

Another sigh was released from her. Seulgi unfastened her seatbelt and took the groceries on the backseat. She climbed off of the car and walked to the lobby, waiting for the elevator to pick her up. There was nothing special that occurred today. As usual, she just attended the event that her manager had set up and went to the radio station and did her work as DJ for 2 hours. Right after, she went home, didn’t forget to buy take away dinner for her and her roommate. The elevator dinged and she lifelessly entered, didn’t forget to press the number of floors she wanted to be brought.

 

“Irene-ah. I am hom-“ Seulgi almost dropped her plastic bags. It wasn’t the first time she caught her best friend for more than a decade slash housemate kissing her boyfriend, yet it’s still hard to get used to it.

 

“Ah. I am sorry you have to see that, Seul.” The woman called as Irene quickly pushed her boyfriend and smiled shyly at Seulgi.

 

“It’s okay. I am used to it. I’ve bought you the food you asked me to. Pizza and beers, right? I will just put it in the kitchen.” Seulgi tried to stay cool.

 

“It’s my bad, Seulgi-ah. I can never get enough of Irene’s lips even when I’ve been doing that for almost a year.” The man grinned.

 

He had known that Irene still lived with Seulgi. He however had asked Irene to live with him but Irene rejected him right away, saying that she couldn’t possibly leave Seulgi alone. That matter aside, the man was fond of Seulgi. She was a nice friend and was supportive of his relationship with Irene or that’s what he thought.

 

“Yah! Stop it already!” Irene giggled and playfully hit his chest.

 

“It’s fine. You can kiss her as much as you want now since I will directly go into my bedroom. It’s been a tiring day. Good evening everyone!” Seulgi smiled. The couple smiled back at her until Seulgi finally continued her journey and directed her to the kitchen.

 

Seulgi clenched her fist on the plastic bag. She put the food she bought on the island. She hadn’t had her dinner. She thought she would have a late dinner with Irene. She didn’t know that her boyfriend would come and ruin her plan. It was probably a simple matter; finding your best friend making out in the living room, but it’s not for Seulgi. And no, it wasn’t because Seulgi had special feelings for Irene’s boyfriend. It was not also because she had grown feelings for Irene either. She didn’t know herself. She just didn’t like it. Period.

 

Seulgi didn’t bother to spare a glance to the couple who were still in the living room. She heard the TV blasting sound so she thought they were watching DVD or something. She didn’t care and she wouldn’t care much about it. Just as she had said earlier, she was tired and the only thing she needed right now was her comfy bed.

 

Seulgi retrieved her towel and sling it to her shoulder. She walked and grabbed her pyjamas from inside the cupboard. She was thinking about whether to just wash her face or proceeding to take a bath. Since she was having a bad mood, she finally decided to just have a warm bath. Who knew it would brighten her mood, right?

 

Feeling more refreshed, Seulgi got out of the bathroom with a small smile. A hot shower never failed to fix her mood somehow. She dried her hair and went to the dressing table. She sat on the small tool and again, saw her reflection from the mirror. She noticed the eyebags got darker, signifying that her lack of sleep had gotten more of her. She didn’t mind getting thinner since she was forbidden to get fat by her manager but she didn’t like how it indirectly damaged her physical appearance.

 

Seulgi ensured her hair was half-dried before standing up to hand the towel back to its original place. She switched off the light and the small lamp on the nightstand. It felt like heaven when her head touched the pillow. She immediately pulled up the blanket and closed her eyes. The soberness started to dissipate when suddenly she felt the bed dipped.

 

“What are you doing here?” Seulgi didn’t bother to open up her eyes for she knew who the person might be.

 

“Are you going to sleep now?” The latter asked with her particular soothing voice.

 

“I am tired, Irene-ah. I just need to sleep.” Seulgi answered. She turned her body so her back would face Irene instead.

 

“Have you got your dinner before going home?” Irene asked, knowing that Seulgi wouldn’t fall asleep easily.

 

“I am not hungry”

 

*Growl*

 

“And I thought someone just said she’s not hungry.” Irene chuckled.

 

“Come, Seul. Let’s have a slice of pizza before going to sleep. You are an idol. You must not fall sick.” Irene got down and walked to the side of Seulgi. She pulled down the blanket and took Seulgi’s wrist, pulling it slightly.

 

“I don’t want to move. Let it be. It’s not like I would fall sick easily. I am a strong woman Irene-ah. Besides, my manager always assures my healthiness by giving me an adequate number of vitamins daily.” Seulgi mumbled.

 

“Fine. If you don’t want to move, I’ll just bring the pizzas here.” Seulgi heard receding footsteps. In less than a minute, the light was .

 

“Why can’t you just let me have my peaceful sleep?” Seulgi groaned. She in reflex tried seeking a pillow to cover her face but sadly, Irene was faster and prevented it from happening.

 

“Because you are obviously hungry. Eat first then I will let you have your sleep.” Seulgi hadn’t opened her eyes yet she knew that Irene was smiling right now.

 

“You don’t need me to feed you too, do you KangSeul? You didn’t want to move so I shall bring your food here.” Irene climbed the vacant side of the bed and sat beside Seulgi.

 

“Fine fine. I can never win against you, can I?” Seulgi unwillingly sat up and turned her head to the smiling Irene.

 

“You already know the answer to that.” Irene winked.

 

“So, how was your broadcast earlier? Any guest came up?” Irene took one slice and gave it to Seulgi.

 

“Same same. Nothing much different from my usual broadcast. Baekhyun came as a guest. He just released an album and would have his comeback tomorrow so he indirectly promoted and told hints about her upcoming song and album.” Seulgi explained while munching.

 

“Ah. Is he handsome in person? I only know he is good at dancing and his voice is okay.” Irene commented.

 

“Nothing special.” Seulgi raised one of her eyebrows to show her flat expression before resuming to eat her remaining pizza.

 

“I am sorry you have to see that.” Irene said.

 

“See what?”

 

“You know.. Oppa kissing me.” Irene was blushing.

 

“I don’t see why you have to say sorry. It’s not like it’s the first time I saw it. I have caught you almost being undressed by your previous boyfriend before. It’s much worse than merely kissing.” Seulgi smirked.

 

“YAH!! I’ve told you many times to erase those memories from your brain!!” Irene’s face got redder. She shoved Seulgi’s shoulder, yet Seulgi couldn’t stop laughing.

 

“How could I? It’s stored automatically inside my brain. Besides, it’s memorable!” Seulgi exclaimed, still laughing loudly.

 

“Seulgi!” Irene tried to have her stern face and scolded Seulgi.

 

“Fine fine. Sorry.” Seulgi giggled quietly.

 

“So, how are you and your current boyfriend?” Seulgi finally settled down. She asked casually.

 

“It is alright.”

 

“Is that all?”

 

“Hmm? What do you want me to say then? That he’s a jerk like my ex and that we would break up soon in the future?” Irene was being cynical, grimacing when she remembered her previous love story where she caught his ex-half- in a bed with a totally woman.

 

“Of course not! What I meant is, he’s not getting younger Irene-ah. He will be 33 this year, right?” Irene nodded.

 

“And?”

 

“And what?”

 

“You know what I meant. Have you thought to walk on a further step with him?” Seulgi seriously asked.

 

“Do you want me to have a further step with him?” Irene asked back.

 

“Huh? How do I know? It’s you who have a relationship with him, not me. You are weird.” Seulgi stated. She scooted backward, resting her back on the bedpost.

 

“You’ll get flabby tummy if you do that.” Irene remarked.

 

“You haven’t answered the question. Do you love him?” Seulgi reminded Irene and went back to the main topic.

 

“I think I do.” Irene followed Seulgi and had her head on Seulgi’s shoulder.

 

“You don’t think when you love, Irene. You think by using your brain but you love by using your heart. So, which one would it be?” Seulgi interlaced her hand with Irene.

 

“I don’t know.” Irene answered shortly.

 

“You can’t have that as an answer. It’s either yes or not. There is no in-between, Irene-ah. Don’t play safe just because you need someone to pay attention to you.” Seulgi sighed. She felt Irene’s hair brushed her skin on her neck and it made her shiver.

 

“He has hinted to go further many times, Seul but I don’t know. I still feel uncertain.” Irene honestly informed. After all, there was no secret between her and Seulgi or that’s what she thought.

 

“Why didn’t you do that?”

 

“I don’t want to leave you.”

 

“Huh? How does it relate to me? We are grown-ups, Irene-ah. We can’t always live under one roof. You will have a husband and I will have mine. Eventually, we have to grow apart, physically wise I mean. It is simply inevitable.” Seulgi elaborated carefully, knowing how sensitive her best friend could be when it related to her.

 

“Why didn’t you try to find a proper man to be your boyfriend?” Irene asked. Her left hand sneakily wrapped Seulgi’s waist from behind.

 

“You know I can’t. The management doesn’t allow me, not until my contract ended at least or when my popularity has decreased but definitely not this year or even three years from now.” Seulgi replied. She felt the touch yet she ignored it. She had been best friends with Irene for more than half of her life on earth. Such intimacy and skin ship were normal between them.

 

“Don’t you feel lonely at times?” Irene pried.

 

“Why would I? I have you. I don’t need a boyfriend as long as I have you; someone who will always welcome me when the world is getting heavier on my shoulder.” Seulgi smiled at her own sentence.

 

“That way, how can I selfishly get married and leave you when I’m the best shelter you can have?” Irene lifted her head from Seulgi’s shoulder and turned her head to stare at Seulgi right in the eyes.

 

“I…” Seulgi was speechless. She never thought that far; that her career indirectly forced Irene to stay and it would also mean delaying Irene’s marriage with her boyfriend. Seulgi gulped, feeling guilty all of sudden.

 

“It’s okay, Seulgi-ah. Don’t feel guilty. I do this not because I feel pity for you but because I’m also not sure about my own feelings for him. I am staying because I want to stay with you. You too are my best shelter you know.” Irene confessed shyly.

 

“Whenever I get tired of life, you will be the haven I need. You are the most secure place I could ever find.” Irene added. Seulgi smiled at the honesty.

 

“We need each other, KangSeul. We are like Yin and Yang where you’d be the dark one and I am the light one.” Irene jutted out her tongue, teasing Seulgi.

 

“Yah!” Seulgi protested. She couldn’t say much because she yawned after.

 

“You are sleepy, Seul. Let’s go to sleep now?” Irene went ahead and switched off the light, making the room dimmed once again.

 

“Then what are you still doing here?” Seulgi asked even though she had known the answer.

 

“I want to sleep with you. I had nightmares these days because you went to Japan for 3 days.” Irene pouted.

 

“You are so childish at times you know that.” Seulgi laughed.

 

“I don’t care. I can only be myself when I am with you.” Irene scooted closer and Seulgi got the hints. Automatically she had one hand under Irene’s head and her other hand pulled Irene closer to her body.

 

“Should I feel honored then?”

 

“Undoubtedly!”

 

“Yes, Ms. Productivity consultant.” That earned Seulgi a hit on her arm.

 

“Goodnight Seulgi-ah.” Irene leaned in and kissed Seulgi’s cheek.

 

“Goodnight Irene.” Seulgi replied and smiled.

 

Irene was honest when she said she got nightmares due to the inexistence of Seulgi in her life, even if it’s only for three days. That night, she got the best dream ever that she woke up much earlier than usual. Well, being scolded by her supervisor was not a problem compared to what she just had the night before; sleeping inside Seulgi’s arms.

---

 

“Good evening, everyone and welcome back to Yin Yang radio with me, Kang Seulgi as your tonight DJ. Well, it’s not unusual since I always accompany you every Tuesday and Friday night. I also don’t know why I still need to introduce myself when you all know it’s always Kang Seulgi who genuinely accompanies you through the night.” Seulgi snickered happily.

 

“Anyway, like a mind reader, I know how boring it’d be if I’m alone tonight so I have brought a dear someone, my best friend and also a well-known artist in the movies industry. The one and the only person who’s shorter than me by an inch. Son Seungwan!!” Seulgi pressed the yellow button and the sound of clapping hands could be heard.

 

“Yah! Why didn’t you introduce me like how you did with Baekhyun last Tuesday?!” Another voice was heard and surely it was none but Wendy.

 

“And should you really say my real name?! I have a stage name you know~” She added. Seulgi laughed louder.

 

“Ah. Good evening, dear loyal listeners! Don’t listen to that silly Kang Seulgi. My name is Son Wendy and I am here as a guest for the night.” Wendy turned to her polite and professional mode before introducing herself.

 

“It’s been a while since I have a good laugh. Thank you for being here, Wendy-ah. Good luck with your drama! And I hope you can come back here next time.” Seulgi said to the microphone.

 

“YAH! Do you really want to get killed?! And we come from the same management. I can’t believe this! President Soo Man! Please do something about your solo singer! It’s okay to terminate her contract sooner in my opinion. This person is nothing but a jerk. I just came here and she already said goodbye!”

 

“Oh my God! I cannot stop laughing and I already got a warning from my manager. Well then, this is a new song from Baekhyun. We will come back after. Stay tuned okay!” Seulgi took off the headphone and grinned at Wendy.

 

“I missed you, Wendy-ah!” Seulgi got up a bit and hugged her best friend, aside from Irene of course.

 

“And this is how you express your longing feelings? What a way to show it, Seulgi!” Wendy rolled her eyes.

 

“I am sorry. It’s just. Wow! It’s already been a year, right? Since you got cast in Taiwan for 50 episodes drama there.” Seulgi said.

 

“You can ask about my drama live, Seul. I don’t want to answer that. After all, I am here to announce to my fans that I’m still alive and would have a comeback soon.” Wendy shooed Seulgi by waving her hand.

 

“Alright then. You haven’t changed much even after a year.” Seulgi laughed. When the song was about to stop, she put back her headphone and continued the broadcasting.

 

The studio filled with waves of laughter and bantering. Even listeners could recognize how they were close to each other in real life. Seulgi was playful and Wendy was just being Wendy; yelling when Seulgi too much and hitting when Seulgi insulted her by calling her archaic name. An hour almost passed so Seulgi took the scenario and proceeded to the next session.

 

“Well then. It’s so much fun talking to you, Wendy. If only you’re not that busy, I would have suggested to my boss to just recruit you to be my eternal companion DJ.” Seulgi brought her lips closer to the microphone.

 

“I would love to do that. It seems like the listeners love me being here with you. Look at the rating! I should ask for double payment right after this.” Wendy laughed, followed by Seulgi.

 

“As much as I want to continue this, I have to go to the next segment. Yep yep, it’s sharing time everyone! Tonight’s giveaway would be one set of body lotion, body shower, body scrub, and perfume from body shop; two buckets of sweet and sour chicken; and voucher to spend two nights in Four Seasons Hotel with your loved one.” Seulgi announced.

 

“Whoaaa. If it were me, I’d pick up the body shop set.” Wendy added.

 

“Why didn’t you choose to hotel voucher?”

 

“Did you forget that I am an artist? I often spend my nights in a grand hotel, Seulgi-ah.” Wendy bragged playfully.

 

“Oh, my bad. I totally forgot that you are a call girl.”

 

“YAAHH!!!”

 

“Enough enough. I would really be scolded after this if we keep on talking nonsense.” Seulgi stifled her laugh with her hand.

 

“It’s your fault!”

 

“Pardon me, listeners. It’s been some time since I have fun like this. Right. Since Valentine’s day is coming, it’d only be appropriate to talk about love life, don’t you agree with me Wendy?”

 

“Yep! Love life is both beautiful and painful.” Wendy approved.

 

“Therefore, tell us what is the most memorable event that occurred on Valentine’s Day. The best opinions shall be granted those tempting gifts!” Seulgi clapped her hands.

 

“Wait. The first message has come in. It’s from 5359, saying ‘Valentine’s Day a year ago was the day I caught my 7 years boyfriend cheating on me. I purposely wanted to give him surprise by saying I was busy and unable to spend the night with him. I lied and secretly went to his apartment. I unlocked his door using the spare key just to find a half- woman in his bed. 5 minutes after, he went out from the shower. So, obviously, Valentine’s Day would be a memorable and shattering day for me.” Wendy read the message.

 

“Aww. That must be hurt like hell.” Wendy summed up.

 

“I don’t know how it’d feel to be honest but my best friend once told me that she too had caught her boyfriend cheating on her. Almost with the same scenario where his affair was in his bed and totally .” Seulgi said.

 

“Hmm.. If you see it from a different point of view, it’s better to find out how he actually wasn’t loyal to you before you took things further with him. It’s better to break up than to divorce, right? Let’s just think that God loves you so much that He notified you how he is a jerk and that you better ended it up with him.” Wendy commented.

 

“I agree with Wendy. So, cheer up! I am sure you’ll find a much better lover in the next Valentine’s Day.” Seulgi concluded.

 

“3762 said ‘Valentine’s Day 3 years ago is the day he proposed me and I said yes. Valentine’s day 2 years ago is the day we officially become married couples and Valentine’s Day a year ago is the day I have my first child born. Valentine’s day is meaningful to me. Every happiest day of my life is on Valentine’s Day.’ Seulgi read.

 

“That’s so beautiful. You are so lucky to have every important event in your life on Valentine’s Day. I really envy you.” Seulgi faked a sigh.

 

“And how about you, Wendy? Do you have any memorable event that occurred on Valentine’s Day before?” Seulgi turned to Wendy.

 

“Hmm.. Valentine day 5 years ago is the first time I got an award as the best newcomer artist. Valentine’s day 3 years ago,I got cast to play in an ongoing drama entitled Love is Blind and it went out successfully that I got an award for the second time. Valentine’s day 2 years ago, I decided to buy a cute puddle whom I named Valentino, and Valentine’s Day last year was spent in Taiwan with my drama crews.” Wendy told the listeners and Seulgi.

 

“Okay. To summarize it, I think your fate is much better than Wendy’s, 3762. It’s either Wendy here is too in love with herself that she can’t ever love someone more than herself or simply because no one loves her that much to spend Valentine’s Day with her.” Seulgi chuckled.

 

“You and your foul mood! It’s not that I am not beautiful enough. Sighed. I am just too busy to have a normal love life. And you’re saying this to me as if you ever had a normal love life before.” Wendy retorted back.

 

‘”Errr.. Right. The next message is from 9291, ‘Wendy-shii. I am your big fan! I watch your Taiwan drama, all of the episodes even though I don’t understand what you’re all saying. The Korean translated version hasn’t come out but it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t watch it as soon as it’s available. Valentine’s day 4 years ago is the day I officially became your fan! And I still am even until now. Keep acting, you are the best actress out there for me! Even better than Nicole Kidman!!’ Seulgi read.

 

“That’s so sweet. Can we give the two buckets of chicken for her, Seulgi-ah?” Wendy said.

 

“Flattery gets you everywhere, doesn’t it? But since you’re the guest here then fine. 9291, you just got yourself two buckets of chicken! Share it with the ones you love, okay?” Seulgi giggled.

 

“And how come you compare Nicole Kidman with the danshin here? Wendy’s height is the only half of Nicole Kidman’s.” Seulgi snorted.

 

“Shut up, Kang! You’re just being jealous because no one has complimented you so far.” Wendy clicked her tongue.

 

“Next one here. It’s from 2110,’Valentine’s Day 4 years ago is the day I for the first time asked about my preference. I am sure I was straight before but after befriending her for years, I started to doubt myself. We used to have skinship all the time but lately, it felt different. At least for me. her touches made me wanting her for more, yet at the same time, there are times I found myself attracted to a guy. Valentine’s day 2 years ago is the first time I lied to her. I couldn’t possibly say I broke up with my ex because I couldn’t stop comparing her to him and concluded she’s way better than him, could I? Have you ever once doubted about your preference, DJ-nim? What would you do if you found yourself caught up in a problem like mine?’

 

“It’s deep and hard to answer.” Wendy smiled a little at Seulgi.

 

“Indeed.”

 

“Is it just myself or the aura is getting darker here?” Wendy let out an awkward laugh.

 

“So, care to answer it, Seulgi-ah?” Wendy nudged Seulgi’s wrist, reminding her that they were still broadcasting.

 

“It’s a hard situation you have there. I shall answer your question first. Have I ever thought about my own preference? Hmm.. I don’t think so. Sadly, I was and am still too busy to even consider whether I prefer older guys or guys who are similar to my age. I haven’t even reached the question of whether girls are better than guys.” Seulgi laughed nervously.

 

“What would I do if I were you? Well, I always tell my best friend not to play safe all the time. It’s either a yes or a no. There is no in-between. If I were you, I would take time for myself to think seriously whether what I have for my best friend is real? If I turn out to have special feelings for her, I’d create a plan to confess to her.” Seulgi answered.

 

“I think that has answered your question, right?” Seulgi added.

 

“Wait. She replied. ‘Even if it means there is a chance to destroy what you have with her so far?’ Wendy read it out loud.

 

“You need to be sure first about her feelings before you confess. If it seems like she has the same feelings, then just go all the way out. If not, try to confess but at the same time not to cast her away from your life.” Seulgi replied through the radio.

 

“That’s very serious of you. Can I give the voucher hotel for her? You just told her to take time and think, right? I assume it’d be best for her to leisurely spend two nights in the hotel thinking.” Wendy reasoned out.

 

“I couldn’t help but agree with you. 2110-nim. You just got yourself a voucher hotel. Take your time to think while still have a chance to enjoy your life there, okay? The pool and gymnasium there are epic! You have to try it. Congratulations by the way!” Seulgi exclaimed.

 

The night went on and soon it was time for them to bid goodbye. Wendy hugged Seulgi before parting ways with her. Seulgi didn’t forget to change numbers with Wendy. The shorter woman just changed her number due to unbearable fans a month ago. They promised to keep in touch no matter how busy they would be in the future.

 

“It was fun, Seulng. We should do this more often.” Wendy said, releasing the hug.

 

“Indeed. I’ll call you one of these days. We should meet up outside of works and share stories. You have a lot to tell me, Wendy-ah. I heard about the rumor of you and him, you know~” Seulgi wagged her eyebrows.

 

“Yah! Not tonight definitely. I’ll tell you when I have days off. Say hi to Irene, okay?” Seulgi nodded.

 

“As much as I want to continue chatting with you, Irene is already outside. I’m heading off first, alright?”

 

“Sure, Seulgi-ah. Be careful on your way home.” Wendy smiled. Seulgi again nodded her head and went outside the building just to find the red sedan parked not far from the entrance door.

---

 

“Did you wait long?” Seulgi closed the door beside her.

 

“Not really. How is Wendy?” Irene started the engine and pushed the gear forward.

 

“She is okay. She looks fresher though. I think she is happy in Taiwan. Maybe due to a certain someone.” Seulgi grinned.

 

“Gossip Girl. Why do you like gossip so much, Seulgi-ah?” Seulgi snickered and fastened her seatbelt.

 

“Thank you for picking me up. I hope my car would be ready by after tomorrow and since I don’t have a radio show, I wouldn’t need to trouble you too much.”

 

“You’re never a nuisance for me, Kang Seulgi. Stop saying like you’re a burden. Besides, I don’t have anything to do at home anyway.”

 

“You didn’t go with Oppa tonight?” Seulgi asked carefully. She got the feeling that Irene’s mood wasn’t good the moment she entered the car. She didn’t look excited seeing her, unlike the usual Irene she always met every day.

 

“We fought.” Irene shortly replied.

 

“What happened?” Seulgi reached out and held Irene’s free hand, rubbing the knuckle ever so tenderly, making Irene relaxed with her touch.

 

“I prefer no talk about it now.” Irene gulped.

 

Irene couldn’t possibly tell Seulgi that they fought because he insisted to go out on a date with him, could he? She had told him so many times that she was unavailable on Tuesday and Thursday because it would be the days where Seulgi would broadcast and she couldn’t possibly miss it. He took it nicely the first 3 months they were dating but lately, he couldn’t accept it. He always reasoned out that he would be her future while Seulgi would only end up as her best friend for life.

 

“Alright then. Have you had dinner?” Seulgi changed the topic, knowing how stubborn Irene could be. Once she said no, it’d be forever no.

 

“I am not hungry.”

 

“I know 24 hours bistro nearby. Just turn right after this intersection.” Seulgi said. Irene said nothing but drove according to the direction given by Seulgi.

---

 

“How’s the progress with your potential client so far?” Seulgi started the conversation. They had ordered the foods and drinks and currently waiting for them to be served.

 

“It’s good. We would have them sign the contract within this week.” Irene answered.

 

“Did you listen to the broadcast?” Irene looked up and nodded her head.

 

“Unexpectedly, everyone had their own memories of Valentine’s Day. Some of them were happy during their past Valentine’s days while the others weren’t that fortunate.” Seulgi said.

 

“What is the most memorable event during Valentine’s Day for you, Irene-ah?” Seulgi gazed at Irene softly and smiled.

 

“Why are you asking me this? I have spent every Valentine’s Day with you since 7 years ago, SeulSeul.” Irene frowned.

 

“Since we become roommate and now housemate, right?” Seulgi’s smile didn’t falter. Irene nodded her head twice as approval.

 

“It’s our day. For others, Valentine’s Day might be the day where they would spend their night with their loved ones; lovers but weirdly, it’d just the two of us during Valentine’s Day. It’s weird, isn’t it? Knowing we’re only best friends and you always had boyfriends on Valentine’s Day.” Seulgi remarked.

 

“Because for me, you are the most important person. Even much more important than my exes.” Irene finally gave a smile. Seulgi smiled along, knowing that her best friend's mood had gotten better.

 

“But you still haven’t answered the question, Irene-ah.” Seulgi pulled her seat closer to the table, propping her chin with her palm.

 

“Every Valentine Day is memorable, Seulgi-ah because I get to spend it with the most important person in my life, the very person who is always there for me during my ups and downs. The person who offers me a hand when I am helpless, the person who helps me to get back on my feet when I fall down, the person who walks with me when the road gets rougher. And that person is you, Seulgi.” Irene reached out and placed her hand on top of Seulgi’s free hand which was lying on the table.

 

“Oh My God! My fingers are curled! That’s way too cheesy, Irene-ah! I can’t believe that words just came out of your mouth!” Seulgi laughed.

 

“What a way to show your appreciation, Kang Seulgi!” Irene quickly pulled her hand away.

 

“I am sorry. I didn’t mean to be unappreciative with your confession. It’s just.. It’s the first time I heard such words from you.” Seulgi grabbed Irene’s hand back and held it properly.

 

“You too are important for me, Irene-ah. If you listened to the broadcast, you’d hear that I told the listeners that I spent 7 years of Valentine’s Day with my best friend and that my best friend is you. I don’t need a boyfriend and I never get to feel lonely because I have you. You mean so much to me.” Seulgi earnestly said, hoping Irene would know that she’s serious.

 

“Err.. I am sorry. Your orders, Mam.” The waiter’s voice startled them and as a reflex, Seulgi retracted back her hand and put it on her lap.

 

“Thank you.” Irene said to the waiter. The man smiled awkwardly and left.

 

“That was awkward.” Irene nodded at the statement.

 

“Let’s just hope he didn’t manage to take pictures on that or I’d be dead by tomorrow.” Seulgi expressed. Irene chuckled. They ate their foods and only casual topics brought off. An hour later, Seulgi was at the cashier, paying for the bill while Irene would get the car.

 

“Ah. I forgot to ask earlier. Who gets the gifts tonight and why?” Irene asked while focusing her sight on the road. It was the question she never failed to ask every time Seulgi had finished broadcasting.

 

“Wendy chose lucky persons. I only let her do what she wanted. She’s the honourable guest after all.” Seulgi shrugged.

 

“But..”

 

“But??” Irene pried curiously.

 

“But there is one message that keeps ringing inside my mind.”

 

“What did she or he say?” Irene asked again.

 

“She said Valentine Day meant a lot for her. It is the day where she for the first time had doubts about her preference.” Seulgi retold the story as much as she could remember to the person who sat in front of her.

 

“What’s so memorable about that?” Irene sipped her drink quietly, never once had her eyes off from Seulgi.

 

“I don’t know. It’s just that her confession is deep and she did that too through the radio broadcast. The problem must have gotten to her.” Seulgi said her opinion.

 

“What about you, Irene-ah?”

 

“Hmm? What about me?” Irene stopped eating and looked up.

 

“Have you ever once doubted about your own preference?” Seulgi’s question made Irene have difficulty swallowing the remaining food inside that she ended up coughing.

 

“Omo! Here, drink it first.” Seulgi reacted quickly and offered her own drink for Irene. The latter gulped it nervously and put the half-empty glass back on the table.

 

“I am so sorry. I shouldn’t have asked you that kind of question. After all, your exes are all guys. There is no way you swing both ways, right?” Seulgi chuckled and offered a sincere smile to Irene, the very same smile that never failed to soothe her down no matter how big her problems seemed.

 

“Y-yeah.” Irene stammered and answered unsure, hoping Seulgi wouldn’t notice it.

 

“You better finish your food now. I have finished mine.” Seulgi pointed at Irene’s plate using her fork.

 

“I too never once asked about my own preference. Not until I read her message.” Seulgi surprisingly continued the topic. Her head was tilted sideways so Irene couldn’t really see the expression when her best friend was saying that.

 

“What do you mean?” Irene asked.

 

“My preference. The last time I had a relationship was 4 almost to 5 years ago. Since then, I barely had time for myself. Slowly but sure I was taken away from the people I care about. My friends, my families, even my own self. But God still loves me for He had given me you; you never leave me, Irene-ah. Not even once.” Seulgi paused, inhaling before she continued.

 

“Although there will be one day that I have to face the moment you leave me and the apartment we’re currently living in.” Seulgi’s smile was wavering.

 

“I will never leave you, Kang Seulgi. I promise.” Irene firmly declared. She put down her eating utensils and directed both of her hands to Seulgi’s, intertwining their fingers together.

 

“Even if you do, I’d understand it, Irene-ah. Why are we being serious all of sudden? Yah! Finish your meal already!” Seulgi tried to make a joke. She retrieved back her hands and chose to watch Irene eating instead. Small smiles were exchanged but nothing more than that.

---

 

“Welcome home, Irene-ah!” Seulgi reduced the volume of the TV and stood up, intending to greet her best friend.

 

“Wait. Are you crying? What happened??!” Seulgi engulfed Irene in her embrace.

 

“Seul.. Seulgi-ah…” Irene clenched her fists on Seulgi’s pyjama shirt, pulling the shorter girl closer in order to be able to hug her tighter.

 

They were staying in that position. Seulgi didn’t say anything. She only rubbed Irene’s back, calming her down while letting the younger woman wet her pyjama shirt since she hadn’t stopped crying even after minutes passed. Seulgi felt Irene’s breath on the skin of her neck. Irene buried her head inside Seulgi’s crook. After some time, Irene pulled away.

 

“Thank you.” Irene mumbled softly.

 

“Go and wash up. I will heat the food. You haven’t had dinner, right?” Seulgi patted Irene’s head lovingly. Seulgi didn’t need a reply. She knew Irene needed to be left alone for now. She turned around and walked to the kitchen.

 

“Why are you like this, Seulgi-ah? This way, how can I…” Irene facepalmed. She couldn’t say it. She must not say it or her defence would surely be crumbled in a blink of an eye. She sighed and went to her bedroom and did as Seulgi told her.

 

“I coincidentally bought you eel earlier. I hope this can brighten up your mood even a bit.” Seulgi informed. She was still in the kitchen, waiting for the microwave to ding. Meanwhile, Seulgi gave Irene a bowl, completed with an amount of rice inside it.

 

“We broke up.” Irene said as Seulgi put down the bowl in front of Irene.

 

“Did he cheat on you?” Seulgi went back to the kitchen when the microwave finally signalling that the food was done.

 

“No, he didn’t,” Irene answered. Seulgi hastily took the rice for herself and served the eels along with veggies on the table. Afterward, she chose the seat beside Irene in case the woman needed her shoulder to cry on.

 

“Did he have his hands on you? If he did, I would-“

 

“He asked me to marry him and I said no.” Irene interjected.

 

“Why would you do that? I thought you loved him.” Seulgi put down her chopstick, determining to hear the story out beforehand.

 

“I thought so too. But it turns out I don’t or at least not enough to make me say yes.” Irene sighed. Seulgi beckoned Irene to lay her head on Seulgi’s shoulder and she did.

 

“I won’t say much. It’s your decision whether you want to marry him or not. Marriage is once in a lifetime so I respect your choice to just end it all rather than forcing yourself and end up marrying someone you don’t love.” Seulgi draped her hand around Irene’s shoulder.

 

“But if you don’t love him enough, why did you decide to stick with him for so long? Is it possible that you see someone else behind his back?” Seulgi was very careful in every word she spelled.

 

“What did you take me for?! I am not that kind of person, Seulgi-ah! I.. I however couldn’t deny that I indeed have fallen for another. Yet I swear I didn’t cheat behind his back!” Irene lifted her head and yelled right on Seulgi’s face.

 

“I didn’t mean to accuse you of cheating. I just have to ensure you didn’t do it. I know you are not that kind of person. It’s just weird. How come you could fall for another when he is the only person you see every day, well aside from me of course.” Seulgi trailed.

 

“Unless if you fall for your co-worker. Who is he, Irene-ah? Do I know him? After all, you always introduce me to all your best friends at work.” Seulgi smiled. She pulled sheets of tissues and wiped the stain of tears on Irene’s flawless cheeks.

 

“It’s someone you know. But I am not ready to tell who the person is.” Irene muttered.

 

“That’s alright. Does he know that you have grown special feelings for him?” Irene shook her head.

 

“I see. I’ll stop asking then. We have to eat now or my attempt to heat the food would be useless. Do you want me to feed you, Irene-ah?” Seulgi spooned the eels and put it on Irene’s bowl.

 

“I am not a kid, Seul! I might be sad and all but I still can eat on my own.” Irene pouted.

 

“Right. Say aah~” Seulgi ignored the remarks and carried on by bringing the rice along with a piece of eel on top of it. Irene murmured some protests yet still ended up opening and let Seulgi feed her.

---

 

“Irene-ah? Sleeping already?” Seulgi tiptoed quietly and brought her petite body to the side of the bed. The lamps were turned off so the only source of light was coming from the city light which came through the opened curtain.

 

“Why are you here?” Irene asked at the end. She at first pretended to be asleep but she accidentally gasped when she felt Seulgi hugged her from behind.

 

“I am concerned. I don’t want you to sleep crying.” Seulgi hugged her tighter.

 

“And why would you think I would be crying? I am the evil person here, Seul. He is the one who’s obviously hurt, not me.” Irene turned around, facing Seulgi.

 

“No, you are not. If only God wasn’t that kind, I am sure He wouldn’t let one of His angels to descend to earth just to accompany a pitiful human like me.” Seulgi grimaced hearing her own statement.

 

“Eww.. Where did that come from?” Irene wrinkled her nose.

 

“So, you’re okay?” Seulgi diverted the topic, feeling embarrassed herself for being cheesy and all.

 

“I am perfectly fine, Seulgi.” Irene reassured.

 

“Do you want to talk about it?” Seulgi encouraged herself and wrapped her hand around Irene’s waist.

 

“What’s there to talk about? It has ended. Period. Do I regret it? Not even the slightest. Do I feel guilty? That I do. Who is the person I am falling with? That is for me to know and for you to find out.” Irene stuck out her tongue at her friend.

 

“What are you? 5? So childish.” Seulgi rolled her eyes.

 

“Yah!!” Seulgi giggled seeing the reaction given by the latter.

 

“Today was our first anniversary. He had hinted so many times about his seriousness with me and how he wanted to have a future with me. I kept pretending not to notice it because I am not sure about how I feel toward him.” Irene started.

 

“I accepted him because he is mature. He is older so he understands things more than I do. His point of view is different from mine which is good. It means he can see things that I fail to see. He is very understanding and wise. He can be pictured as a man whom girls can be crazy for.” Irene continued.

 

“Then why couldn’t you fall for him even after a year?” Seulgi fixed the blanket, ensuring it covered both of their lower bodies.

 

“People said that love will grow as time passes. Does it not apply to you?” Seulgi added.

 

“It doesn’t, apparently.” Irene shortly said.

 

“Then what did he do until you fall for him? The person you’re in love with I mean.” Seulgi smiled.

 

“He didn’t do anything much. The only thing he does is always there for me. He is always ready to catch me when I fall.” Irene felt Seulgi watching her so she fixated her eyes that they stared at each other.

 

“What?” Irene frowned.

 

“What what?” Seulgi teased.

 

“Why did you see me like that?” Irene furrowed her eyebrows.

 

“How long have you been in love with him?” Seulgi turned around so she was lying on her back. She folded her arm upward and comfortably placed her head on her palm.

 

“I don’t know. Not for long, I think.” Irene’s reply made Seulgi smile.

 

“Why are you smiling? Is my love story funny for you?” Irene nudged at Seulgi’s stomach with her elbow.

 

“If I didn’t know any better, I would think of you like my 2110 listener.” Seulgi explained, her eyes were still looking at the ceiling above.

 

“And why is that?” Irene questioned.

 

“I have told you why. The difference is, she falls for the same gender while you fall for different gender. What she has there is so much bigger though.” Seulgi turned her head to Irene and bitterly smiled.

 

“Why can’t you forget about that certain listener, Seulgi-ah? It’s just not so you for remembering a typical listener. You sometimes can’t even remember what the topic of your radio broadcast only an hour after it ends.” Irene’s statement made Seulgi laugh.

 

“You are right. I don’t know either. I just can feel her sadness by reading the message from her. I feel the need to help her even when I don’t know-how. I don’t even know who she is or where she lives. Sadly, she never messages me again after.” Seulgi exhaled loudly.

 

“You’re being too mellow right now. Should we just go to sleep? I have an early meeting tomorrow.” Irene hugged Seulgi’s arm.

 

“Right. I am sorry. I should have been the one to listen to your story but I end up telling mine instead. Let’s sleep. Goodnight, Irene-ah.” Seulgi kissed Irene’s forehead and hinted Irene to rest half of her body on her. Irene smiled and laid her head on Seulgi’s chest. In less than 5 minutes, Seulgi had gone to her dreamland while Irene was still staring at the sleeping face.

 

“If only you know.” Irene mouthed inaudibly. She then closed her eyes and tried to get some sleep too.

---

 

“Good evening and welcome back to Yin Yang show~ Oh God how long again I have been a DJ here? It feels like I have been yelling the same statement for years now.” Seulgi chuckled.

 

“And happy Independence Day for all Korean citizens!! It applies to me too! Why? Because it will be only me for tonight’s show~ I am independent to do and say anything I want for the night! I hope you wouldn’t switch the station though. I swear I can be fun too even when I am on my own.” Seulgi laughed.

 

“It’s not my fault and definitely not my personal request to be alone for the night. Blame the director for not being able to invite any guest tonight.” Seulgi glanced at the frowning director and giggled to herself.

 

“Uh Oh I think someone is getting angry~ Don’t be mad, director-nim. Let’s just treat it as a test for me. I will prove to you all that I can be autism and have fun on my own.” Seulgi laughed for some more.

 

“The first attempt to attain the rating would be by giving my lovable listeners the freedom to choose a song. You can freely request a song from me but of course, there’s a condition to it. You have to tell me what you know about Independence Day and why you choose the song you requested. Not that hard right?” Seulgi said.

 

“Just a month ago I said goodbye to my lovely do, Onion. Actually, I have had him in the last 2 years but due to unpredictable circumstances, I am not able to keep it with me. My job makes it impossible to look after him all the time. Irene, my housemate has her work from 8 – 6 every day. There are times too that she has to be sent abroad so it forces me to commend it to my families.”

 

“Once in a while, I come and visit my family. When my schedule is not too packed, I’d bring him with me. I had him with me for two weeks but he has to go back to my family since starting next month, I will have a comeback.” She bitterly smiled.

 

“I am happy because it means I get the chance to see my fans again but at the same time I am sad because I have to be apart from him again.” Seulgi finished her story.

 

“So, for me, Independence Day means me time! Being independent means given free time for me! Usually, I would spend it by spending time with Onion or with Irene or with both of them. My life sounds boring, doesn’t it?”

 

“But it is not for me! I always appreciate every single day passed in my life. I treasure it sincerely because every day would have its own events. It’s always been different even though the activities are similar from day to day. Errr.. I’ve been delusional right? Just ignore what I said. After all, I think the only person who would understand me is only Irene and Onion.” Seulgi laughed again.

 

“Oh! The first message has come! It’s from 8873 saying ‘Independence Day for me is when my parents go outside of town because it means freedom!! My mother is scary! She is very talkative and couldn’t seem to stop talking once she has opened up . I am already 19 years old yet she always scolds me when I come home a little bit later than 9 PM. And I am a guy for God’s sake! Therefore, I request a song from Queen – I want to break free’

 

“I am sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you but it’s just so funny! I kinda of have to agree with you for being slightly annoyed. It would be probably different if you are a girl instead because night time is always dangerous for girls especially when you are underage.”

 

“So, 8873 mother. As a lawyer slash advisor of 8873, please give more freedom to him. He is already an adult. But for precaution, it might be a good idea to register him to a martial art course, like karate or Muang Thai perhaps?” Seulgi laughed at her own advice.

 

“Okay let’s read the next one. It’s from 9304 saying ‘Independence Day is having off duty. I work on-site so I can go home once a month. On duty for a month and off for 2 weeks. Therefore, Independence Day is when I am able to go home and see my wife and kids.’

 

“Awww… That’s so sweet. I don’t know exactly where you work but maybe on a rig or something? Usually, when personnel work on site, the only reason to keep them stay sane is by thinking their loved ones so I am sure whenever you feel nauseated of your surroundings, you will think of your family. Right, 9304?”

 

“Oh. He forgot to request a song. Well then, let’s wait for another one before granting their song request. Meanwhile, talking about Independence Day, just a week ago my best friend celebrated her birthday. And the person I mean is Irene, my roommate slash best friend for life.”

 

“Have you ever wondered what kind of person she is? She is not a celebrity and definitely never shows up on TV. Hmm unless when I am caught when I’m with her. I have known her for more than half of my age! You know how old I am, right? Because I don’t want to mention it. It will only remind me of how old I am!”

 

“In simple words, she is my opposite. If she is red then I’d be blue. She is an outgoing person while I prefer to stay at home whenever I have the chance to. She likes cooking when I like to buy my foods from nearby restaurants better. Have you ever heard opposites attract? I think that applies to our friendship too.”

 

“Hohoho.. It seems that I have to stop blabbering here. A new message just popped up! It’s from 7651, saying ‘Unnie! Independence Day for me is when I have graduated from university! I accidentally chose the wrong major! I marked the wrong number during the test so instead of choosing Accounting, I chose Law instead. It’s a miracle that after struggling for 4 years, I finally graduated! That’s why, please grant me a song from Nicki Minaj – Moment 4 Life’

 

“For now, let’s hear the songs. The first one would be Queen with I want to break free followed by Nicki Minaj with Moment 4 life. Stay tuned okay! I will be back soon~” Seulgi lifted her thumb, signalling for the songs to be played immediately.

 

“Hello again! I will continue reading the messages. It’s only been 2 songs played but I’ve received more than 50 messages during the last 10 minutes. I am famous or what?” Seulgi chortled wholeheartedly.

 

“Let’s scroll down the message. Oh! It’s from 2110. How have you been, 2110-nim? I hope your problems have been solved. Ah. What am I saying? I haven’t even read the message but I arbitrarily said that already.”

 

“Okay. 2110-niim said, ‘Independence Day is when I decided to accept the fact I indeed have special feelings for her. I finally know that I am not actually gay. It can also be said that I am only gay for her. I’ve been living in denial for years and instead of making me better, it made me terrible instead. I kept being anxious whenever I was being with my ex. I kept on seeing her face when I had an intimate session with him. I have lied not only to myself but also to him and the person that I loved. That’s why I decided to break up with my boyfriend at that time and stayed single until now. The song that I request would be Celine Dion – Because you love me. I might not know if she loves me that way or not but I know she does love me, even not in the way that I wanted her to. Thank you.’

 

“Wow.. I am speechless. I honestly don’t know what I should say. That’s a brave thing to do, 2110-shii. You know, to break up with him and just accepted the fact that you love her. You don’t even know if she has the same feelings as you or not, do you? I respect you for that. But, what’s next? You can’t keep being single in the hope she one day will realize your feelings, can you? Even if she does, what if it turns out she doesn’t have that special affection as you do for her?”

 

“Okay… I got dizzy myself. Well, whatever you would decide later, I wish you the best of luck. Besides, you’ll never know how things will turn out if you never try, right? An advice from me, don’t wave the white flag if you haven’t tried. Approach her and when the moment is right, confess. No matter how it turns out, if she’s indeed your best friend, she wouldn’t leave you. She maybe won’t be able to accept it but she will stay, as a best friend. If she leaves you, it means there is someone better out there. Go out and seek for that person, be it a man or woman.”

 

“I suddenly turn into an understanding adult, don’t I? Thank you 2110-niim for giving me a chance to prove to my listeners that I in fact can be an understanding, thoughtful, and prudent person at the same time when I want to.” Seulgi pretended to clear .

 

The broadcast continued and endless songs had been played until it was time for her to end the show. She said parting words to her listeners and prepared to go home. She too didn’t forget to shake hands with her writer and other crews. Tonight, she brought her own car so there would be no Irene to wait outside.

 

She had read many messages but only one that she was able to remember and yes, it’s none but from 2110. It was only the second time that the same number messaged her through the radio. There many listeners that never failed to send a message whenever she broadcasted but she couldn’t remember it at all. She would only embarrassingly admit once the person said that he or she had messaged numerously. So, what’s so different about the person behind the number 2110? Seulgi didn’t know either.

 

She too had unconsciously played Celine Dion – Because you love me inside her car and had been replaying it over and over again until she was almost able to remember the lyric. Was it because of the sadness she could feel from the content of the message? Was it because she too had a best friend that she was fond of, who was also the same person that made her heart wavered at times? Or was it simply because her brain only wanted to remember the messages from 2110? Again, Seulgi didn’t know the answer to that question.

 

The meaning behind the song was deep and Seulgi didn’t acknowledge it until she had heard the same song for the umpteenth time, thanks’ for the abnormal traffic. The situation was similar. Irene did all the things that Celine Dion sang. Irene was the only person who could see what she failed to see, the only person who knew what’s wrong with her without she needed to tell her beforehand.

 

She knew it was too cheesy and unbearable but she meant it when she thought of Irene highly. Irene was Seulgi’s strength. She was her voice when she couldn’t speak. For instance, Seulgi once felt totally disappointed with her coffee in Starbucks because it was too creamy when Seulgi had said she didn’t want the whipped cream. Irene was the one who walked to the counter and demanded the coffee to be replaced with a new one. That’s the story behind Irene’s second nickname; Baebucks.

 

Irene saw the best there was in Seulgi and she was the only person who told Seulgi to walk forward when the other had given up on her. Irene always had faith in her no matter how impossible the situation would be. She was the light in Seulgi’s dark world And yes, she was blessed because she was loved by a person as amazing as Irene. Not even her parents had so much faith in her as much as Irene had. She was like the best thing that ever happened in Seulgi’s life.

 

Remembering what Irene had done for her produced tears inside her eyes. It wasn’t sad tears. Vice versa, it was tears that resulted from the overwhelming happiness she suddenly felt. Irene had given so much for her; the things that were too precious that it couldn’t be appraised by money or gold. She stepped on the gas pedal harder, wanting to get home as soon as possible. She suddenly missed Irene and she wanted nothing but to give her a big hug when she met her. Seulgi smiled and held her wheel tighter.

---

 

“Irene-ah?” Seulgi wrinkled her face when she saw the living room was dimmed.

 

“Where is she?” Seulgi asked herself. She removed her shoes and put them neatly on the shoes rack before coming inside.

 

Seulgi loosened her shirt and opened up her coat. She hung it on the gallows. She ed her shirt while walking to the washing room. She also unbuckled her belt to pull down her pants. She was only in bra and when she was out of the washing room. She stopped by to take the bathrobe. She wore it and halted her step in between her bedroom and Irene’s. Seulgi looked down and caught that the light inside Irene’s room was still on. Carefully, she turned the doorknob and entered.

 

“Ah, she must be showering.” Seulgi sat on the bed. The water splash could be heard from inside the bathroom.

 

“Irene-ah, are you inside?” Seulgi knocked on the door softly.

 

“YES I AM!! WAIT, I AM STILL RINSING MY HAIR!”

 

“That will be long.” Seulgi pouted. She had to wait a while longer until Irene came out from the bathroom.

 

“Ah. I have to say thank you to that person. She has made me realized how much Irene means in my life. Even though I couldn’t say I love her the same way as 2110 does toward her best friend. Good thing, I have successfully acquired her number secretly.” Seulgi blabbered to herself. She sat on the bed and leaned back to the bedpost comfortably.

 

“Should I message her or should I call her instead?” Seulgi thought to herself.

 

“Ah. It would be weird to message her. What if she doesn’t reply? It would only embarrass me. At least if she didn’t pick up, she wouldn’t know that it’s me who called her earlier.” Seulgi nodded her head, deciding to just call instead.

 

“Here we go~” Seulgi jabbed the number and put the phone on her ear. She waited for the ring tone from the latter. It finally connected. Weirdly, she could feel the vibration from the nightside.

 

“Huh?” Seulgi frowned, seeing there was a vibrated mobile phone near the small lamp. It was the same mobile phone that Seulgi gave 3 years ago but since it’s old, Seulgi bought Irene a new one, the mobile phone that Irene used now.

 

“She still uses that phone?” Seulgi’s curiosity got the best of her. She scooted closer and grabbed the phone. It was signalling that there’s a phone call coming. How shocked Seulgi was when she saw that it’s her number that showed on the phone screen.

 

“What the?!” Seulgi gasped. She hurriedly covered with her free hand to prevent her from yelping loudly.

 

“Wait.. Is this for real?!” Seulgi was still unsure. She still couldn’t comprehend the connection since she couldn’t believe what she saw. She put Irene’s mobile phone on the bed to reduce the vibration. She took a glance at the bathroom door, ensuring Irene wouldn’t go out any moment.

 

“Let’s try again. I have to be very sure before assuming things.” Seulgi redialled the number while staring seriously at Irene’s phone. As expected, the screen lit up and Seulgi’s number appeared from the phone.

 

“No way…” Seulgi mumbled. She put her phone aside. She tried to unlock Irene’s phone. She prayed the passcode was still the same. How relieved she was when the screen was unlocked. Seulgi went to call history and quickly erased her number from the missed calls list. She then hurriedly put the phone back in its original place.

 

“Hey. Have you been long?” Seulgi almost fell from the bed when she heard Irene’s voice.

 

“Seulgi-ah! Be careful! Are you alright?” Irene ran to Seulgi’s side and sat beside her, touching her wrist tenderly.

 

“Y-yeah. I am sorry.” Seulgi answered nervously. She couldn’t even look up and gaze at Irene after the revelation earlier.

 

“Hey. What happened? Was there anything wrong on your radio show?” Irene’s voice was worried but still, Seulgi’s brain couldn’t work properly, not for now for the very least.

 

“Nothing is wrong. I… I better go back to my room. I have to take a bath too you see.” Seulgi looked up, yet her eyes weren’t on Irene’s. She abruptly stood up and went out of Irene’s room.

 

“That’s weird.” Irene hummed to herself. She didn’t say anything further and stood up, wanting to get change. She knew there were times Seulgi hinted that she wanted attention from Irene; needing the younger one to ask what went wrong and such. Yet, there were also some occasions where Seulgi needed some time alone and this was one of those moments.

---

 

Seulgi was restless. She was still standing near the door with her head leaning on the closed door behind her. She massaged her temple, still found it hard to believe that 2110 was Irene. Her brain was a mess yet she still made an attempt to pull the red string together. Her eyes opened widely when she just realized that the person 2110 or in other words Irene had feelings for was no other but Seulgi; her!

 

“What do I do?” Seulgi asked no one. She bit her thumbnail, the habit she did whenever she felt nervous or panic. She slowly walked to the bed and sat on it.

 

“Irene loved me?” Seulgi frowned. She vaguely remembered 2110 said through the short message that she loved her best friend and the closest friend Irene had was Seulgi. Yes, Irene was an easy-going person so she had countless friends or even best friends but she could put a bet that no one knew Irene better than her, no one.

 

“But.. Really? If it’s true, then how could I not know it any sooner? And I thought I was her closest friend. And it’s been 4 years since she felt that way.” Seulgi sighed. She laid down and emptily stared at the ceiling above her.

 

“How about me? Do I feel the same way as she does?” Seulgi closed her eyes, asking herself. She took a deep breath when she still couldn’t find the answer.

 

“Dammit!! How could you not know your own feelings, Kang Seulgi! Stupid!!” Seulgi started to hit herself. She slapped her own cheeks several times until it got reddened.

 

“Dammit.. It’s Irene for God’s sake!! You’ve been befriending her for more than 12 years!! But still.. We both are women.. It’s impossible.” Her brain got tired. She couldn’t possibly force her brain to think harder. Crying was inevitable when she’s in this state and so crying was what she was doing right now. Endless tears dampened her cheeks and down until it made a pool on her poor pillow.

 

“I am helpless. I totally don’t know what to do. I too can’t tell anyone about this. Why should I be an idol?! Why should people look up to me!? It makes me unable to trust anyone. The only person I can trust is Irene but… This problem is all about her.” Seulgi turned sideways, staring at the closed door.

 

Seulgi kept tossing and turning on her queen-sized bed. She hugged her bolster closer to her chest. The tears were still streaming constantly like it didn’t know when to stop. Her brain was processing, trying to find the best solution for both of them. Yes, Irene hadn’t confessed to her and from the look of it, it seemed that Irene wouldn’t confess any sooner. But what differences did it make when she had known what Irene felt for her? How long more she could pretend not to know anything? Moreover, that Irene was able to read her like an open book. With that contemplation, she could only sigh deeper. The night went on and finally replaced by the dawn. Tiring of thinking, the sleepiness brought her to dreamland.

---

 

“Good morning, Kang Seulgi! I was jogging this morning and brought you your favourite pastry. I put it on the table near your newspaper. What would you like to drink? Does Americano sound okay?” Seulgi was still rubbing her eyes sleepily while trying to find her way to the kitchen’s stool.

 

“Hmm..” Seulgi hummed.

 

“Why didn’t you wash your face first, hmm? Wow… You look horrible! Couldn’t sleep well last night?” Irene walked closer to her. She bent her body a bit and helped Seulgi to fix her messy hair.

 

“I am sleepy~” Seulgi yawned.

 

“Aigoo.. How can someone who’s already 27 be this cute??” Irene moved her face closer to Seulgi and that’s when the latter realized and as a reflex, she pulled back.

 

“Wh-whaaa.. What’s wrong with you? Are you okay?” Irene was shocked for usually, Seulgi was never been someone who’s afraid of skinship and intimacy when it came to her.

 

“Oh, I am sorry. I was just surprised. Your face was so big when I finally could open both of my eyes.” Seulgi lied.

 

“YAAAHH!!” Irene slapped Seulgi’s left arm.

 

“Ouch! Fine fine~ I will wash my face now. And yes, Americano sounds okay.” Seulgi stood up and put on a good façade until Irene couldn’t longer see her expression.

 

“Fiuh.. That was nerve-wracking.” Seulgi rubbed her chest.

 

That was only one of the so many mornings where Seulgi forcedly had to find reasons in order not to make Irene suspicious of her unusual behaviours. Who could blame her? Who would able to act normally when you knew your best friend and with the same gender too, had some feelings for you slash love? Yes, Irene was a woman and she loved Seulgi. That’s not a normal thing that could be easily accepted, was it?

 

Seulgi spent a week to think it through. She proposed days off to her managers and to the radio director, saying that she didn’t feel very good lately. Of course, it was nothing but lies but being in this kind of industry enabled her to lie smoothly, it was like an everyday activity for her. Exaggeration and lies had already been parts of her daily life.

 

She intentionally wanted to spend her week off in her hometown but after some contemplation, she changed her mind. Being away from Irene wouldn’t answer her biggest question. At the last moment, she decided to just stay home and enjoyed her holidays. She too had thought to just go somewhere far with Irene, but sadly Irene wasn’t able to leave work. She even blamed Seulgi for taking days off unplanned. She was in her busiest mode when Seulgi had arbitrarily taken days off.

 

She spent her day watching some movies on TV or DVD that she had borrowed. There were also times she made herself busy by colouring and drawing. On the third day, she chose to be creative and put some art on her nails. On the fourth day, she finally realized how she had forgotten to think about her real feelings for Irene. She only had three days left and this time, she hoped she could be wiser and seriously think of Irene and her.

 

And so, within the fourth day, she spent almost one full day to reminisce memories she and Irene ever had. She unloaded the box she had under her bed. It contained everything about Irene; from the letters Irene gave her during her elementary years, the pictures she and Irene had from elementary until their university graduation, to the hairpin Irene gave her as the birthday gift for her 8th birthday. A smile appeared on Seulgi’s face. Irene was always there in every meaningful moment of her life.

 

Irene was with her the day she got her driving license. Irene was there when her first boyfriend confessed to her and when she said yes to him. Irene was there to witness how she had passed the audition in becoming a solo singer. Irene was also there when Seulgi was drunk for the first time in her life. Wouldn’t it be too much if she wasn’t there for her when Irene was desperate and helpless, moreover when the cause was her?

 

Within the fifth day, she paid attention to every little thing Irene did during that day; the way Irene wiped the remaining crump on the corner of her lips, the way Irene put her hair behind her ear, the way Irene laughed when she threw her not so funny joke, the way Irene smiled genuinely, and the way Irene stared at her like she was the only remaining person left on earth. Within the same day, Seulgi’s heart finally beat a little different. It beat slightly harder than usual. On the very same day, Seulgi for the first time couldn’t take her eyes off of Irene when the latter talked. It was like Irene said incoherent words because all she could see was Irene’s face and how her eyes would make a beautiful crescent when she smiled.

 

On the sixth day, she felt like a totally different person. She felt happier for some unknown reasons. She couldn’t wait for the night to pass away just so she could quickly see Irene again in the morning. It was crazy but it happened to her. She never failed to put her palm on her chest whenever Irene smiled too sweetly at her. On the sixth day, her heart screamed for Irene’s name and she secretly smiled, knowing she didn’t need the seventh day to know that she too felt the same way toward Irene.

---

 

“I feel so lucky today! I mean, who wouldn’t when I got myself, huge guests! A legendary! Everyone, please welcome TVXQ!!” Seulgi whistled like a naughty girl.

 

“Good evening, everyone! We are TVXQ!” And that signaled the broadcast was about to start.

 

“We really want to stay but sadly, we have a recording two hours from now.” Yunho informed

 

“Yeah and I’ve been waiting to read the messages from listeners. Believe it or not, I am a loyal listener of Yin Yang radio. I always find it funny how you respond to their messages and I am sure it wouldn’t be that funny if not because of the listeners themselves. I don’t know what you did with their brains that they could send that kind of messages.” Changmin added and laughed a little.

 

“It’s simply because I am awesome! Right, my loyal listeners??” Seulgi laughed along.

 

“It’s very nice to have you both here. If it’s not too much, please come here again in the future?” Seulgi tried to sound cute.

 

“It’d be a pleasure for us both. Thank you for having us here.” Yunho stood up first. She bowed to Seulgi since it’s the live broadcast for tonight.

 

“Thank you, Seulgi-shii.” Changmin followed his Hyung. Both of them soon disappeared behind the already closed door.

 

“And here I am alone again. I feel so lonely all of sudden.” Seulgi exaggerated and some of the crews along with the director made ugly faces.

 

“Yah! I am an idol here. Pay some respects.” Seulgi pretended to be angry just to end up laughing in the end.

 

“Aigoo.. Let’s just proceed to the next segment. Yep yep, the segment you all have been waiting for! Sharing session! Wait, that is not the name of the segment? Well, then it simply justifies how long I’ve been here as a DJ.” Seulgi giggled.

 

“Hmm.. Whatever the name is, the message polling is opened now! Huh? We didn’t do the polling because it’s not American Idol or something? Oh well~ It’s just the detail. Don’t mind it too much, Sunbaeniimm.” Seulgi snickered.

 

“Today’s topic would be Options. What options are the hardest for you to decide? Like, I only have an hour. I need to attend a meeting yet at the same time, my best friend will have the celebration of her birthday. What should I do? Which option should I choose? Well, something like that.”

 

“Right. What should I talk about while waiting for the first message hmm.. Do you know it turns out that Tablo, one of the members of EPIK HIGH has a high IQ? It’s known that his IQ is as high as 150 that he manages to finish his study in well-known university in Amerika, Standford. Not only that, our guest just now, Jung Yunho also has a high IQ score which is 142. Wow! And nah, you don’t need to ask about my IQ, do you? I definitely and proudly admit that my IQ is less than them.” Seulgi laughed.

 

“The first message just came! It’s 6371 sayings, ‘Seulgi Unnie! I am confused and in a big dilemma. For the past 2 months, my weight has increased by 5 kilos! I think it’s because I am dating my new boyfriend who likes to eat so much. My parents say I need to immediately go on diet but my boyfriend says he doesn’t mind even if I will be fat in the future. What do I do?’

 

“If I may advise you, I’d say you better go on diet soon. It’s not about whether your boyfriend minds or not. Yes, appearance does matter, moreover for women but more importantly, it’s for your health. Don’t you know that obese people have a much higher possibility to be infected by scary sicknesses such as , heart attack, cholesterol, and such? I believe your boyfriend was honest when he’s saying he would be okay with your changes but it’s better to prevent than to cure, right? But then again, it’s up to you.”

 

“I feel so wise right now. It’s like I am not the Kang Seulgi you know, right?” Seulgi ended up her prudent comments with her particular laugh, with her head thrown back and the familiar laughing sound like a grandma.

 

“Next message is from 0299 saying, ‘Kang Seulgi-shii. I feel depressed. I am currently dating my boyfriend of 15 years. I will be 33 this year while he will be 35. I really want to marry him and he feels the same way. But up until now his parents still couldn’t give us their blessing. I know he comes from archaic families and they don’t want a city girl like me to be their daughter in law. I love him so much but I’m not getting any younger. I too want to have children on my own and it’s not safe to be pregnant when I’m 4 or 5 years older from now. I too don’t want the gaps between me and my children too wide. What do you think I should do? Should I stay in the hope his parents will bless us one day or should I leave or should I let him kidnap me and secretly hold a small marriage?’

 

“Oh My God. I feel that your depression goes to me. I am dizzy~ Your problem is not a joke! Okay.. Let me think… Hmm. You said both of you love each other right? And you have spent half of your life by being with him. It’s not a short amount of time to be honest. I salute you for that. Can I be honest in giving her advice, Director-niim?” The man behind the glass nodded his head at Seulgi.

 

“Good! If I were you, I’d take the last option. I’ll go and be a runaway bride. Yes, it’s important to obtain a blessing from parents but at the same time, it’s you yourself and him who would carry on with marriage life. You two who would feel the happiness and bitterness of thing called marriage. You two would say the wedding vows in front of the priest. His parents wouldn’t forever be there to watch how your marriage goes. The best thing parents can do is support their children until they too have their own children and watch them grow up until God summons them back to His heaven.”

 

“Tonight, is the hardest night for me. All of the messages that came were a serious one. I suddenly feel sad and mellow now. That’s why I’ll play a sad song for all of you so you too can feel the sadness. Everyone, Adele with All I Ask.” Seulgi removed the headphone and leaned back on her swivelled chair.

 

“Are you alright?” The director came in and asked.

 

“I am good.” Seulgi looked up and smiled.

 

“It’s only half an hour left, Seul. Hang in there, okay?” He cheered. Seulgi lifted both of her thumbs. He nodded his head and made his way out, leaving Seulgi to return to her broadcast.

 

“I am back everyone. I really hope the next message would sound happier. Let’s see~ Oh, it’s from 2110!” Seulgi accidentally sounded too happy when she announced the message sender.

 

“How have you been, 2110-shii? Before I proceed to read your message, I am allowed to hope your message would cheer me up, right?” Seulgi chuckled. She cleared and started reading.

 

‘It’s been a while, DJ-niim. Good to see you back on air! I hope you did enjoy your holiday’

 

“I enjoyed it to the max! Thank you for your concern~” Seulgi paused reading. She replied to the first sentence sent by 2110 or could also be said, Irene behind the scene.

 

’DJ-Niim. The past messages content were about how I felt for my best friend so I am thankful that this time, I could have a chance to ask for your advice since your topic for the night is Options.’

 

“Okay. I am starting to regret having this topic. Yah writer-niim! I just came back and you already tortured me like this~” Seulgi pretended to scold the writer. The woman behind the glass snickered at Seulgi and yes, she was the writer.

 

‘Lately, I don’t know if it’s just me or if it’s the truth; I feel changes within her. It feels like she pays attention to me more than before. She is way more caring and it makes undoubtedly happy. She listens more and she was even willing to accompany me shopping when it’s the thing she loves the least. She unbelievably cooked for me; she didn’t mind watching a romance movie with me even though it’s the genre she hates the most. I am so happy to see the positive changes in her. It makes my heart wants to reach out for her much more than before.’

 

“This one is surely a long one so let me take my breath first, okay?” Seulgi stopped reading for a moment.

 

‘The feelings I have for her become uncontrollable that it scares me. It’s inevitable to fall deeper and harder for her. There were even times that I just wanted to pull her collar and kiss her, moreover when she had her cute puppy eyes while begging me to do something for her. It’s getting harder not to be drowned in her deep brown eyes. It’s like my world revolves around her and only her. The thing is; what if it’s only my assumptions? What if she actually doesn’t change but it’s just me who fails to handle my feelings properly? What if she doesn’t feel the way that I do and it’s nothing more than a simple unrequited love? DJ-niimm. Do you think it’d be better if I just move out of our apartment? I think it’d be easier to move on if I don’t see her as often as I do now. Or should I keep pretending like I don’t have feelings for her? Continue being her best friend like I’ve always done. As long as I can see her the first time, I open my eyes and the last time before I close my eyes. Thank you in advance and please continues to working hard! I really love hearing your broadcast.’

 

“Are there only two options available for me to choose? Because I prefer advising you to choose the third option which is to confess to her. I think I’ve said it before that it’s better to be honest even there are always consequences to be rejected rather than lie to your feelings for your whole life. I hope you really reconsider my advice, 2110-niim. And no worries, I’ll keep on broadcasting as long as the producer still wants me here and promise to raise my salary at the end of the year.” Seulgi exclaimed excitedly.

 

She ended the broadcast after she had read the 35th messages for the night. Seulgi felt drained for most of the messages talked about the sadness and problems more than she had imagined. She cracked a joint or two and stretched her arms upward before getting ready to go home. She bowed to the remaining staff there and directly went downstairs and retrieved her car from the valet service.

---

 

Seulgi gave her car key to the young man in uniform. She was too tired to park her car on her own for the night. Her energy was barely enough to walk inside the lobby and wait for the elevator. She really needed her vitamins right now. It’s not the kind of vitamins that she could buy in a random pharmacy because her vitamin was a special one. She smiled unconsciously when the thought of Irene crossed her mind. Yes, her vitamin was none but Joohyun Bae slash Irene, the person she couldn’t wait to see after having a rough day.

 

“Hi Seulgi!” Seulgi’s smile got bigger hearing the voice she long to hear for the past hours.

 

“Hey to you too. Why are you not sleeping?” Seulgi put down her purse and entered the apartment, followed by Irene from behind.

 

“I was waiting for you.” Irene’s statement indirectly made Seulgi grin from ear to ear. Thankfully, Irene couldn’t see her expression since she was still left behind.

 

“Well, I am home now. Is there something you need to talk to me about?” Seulgi turned her head. The sight of Irene blushing even slightly made her want to hug her already. She clenched her fists, making attempt not to jump at her friend.

 

“I can wait. You can go and get change first. Do you want me to make you some coffee?”

 

“If you don’t mind. I’ll clean up a little. I won’t be long.” Seulgi nodded her head. She watched Irene continued dragging her body to the kitchen. Seulgi got difficulty not to have her eyes on Irene until she was gone from her sight. Seulgi sighed and went to her bedroom.

 

Seulgi was back wearing her casual clothes to sleep. She wore her slippers and moved to search for her best friend. Somehow, she wondered if 2110 or Irene would consider her earlier advice. She didn’t lie when she preferred the third option even when Irene didn’t provide three options for her to choose. She brushed away the thought when she found Irene was sitting on the stool near the kitchen island. Another mug was placed in front of her. The white smoke could be seen evaporated from the still-hot coffee.

 

“Is this mine?” Irene looked surprised hearing her voice.

 

“Y-yeah.” Irene smiled albeit stiffly.

 

“Are you okay though? You look.. I don’t know.. Serious? Is there any problem?” Seulgi took a seat in front of her. Her eyes were set on Irene.

 

“I wouldn’t call it a problem. Well, it is a problem but it doesn’t concern you.. Wait.. It’s related to you one way or another though.” Irene muttered incoherently.

 

“Huh? What is this about? Relax, Irene-ah. We’ve known each other for too long. Why are you still nervous around me?” Seulgi soothed Irene by reaching out her hand and put it on Irene’s hand on top of the island.

 

“Err.. I want to make a confession. But please don’t cut me out until I finish talking. Can you promise me that?” Irene lifted up her face a bit just so she could take a quick glance at Seulgi. She was too nervous to even stare at the latter’s eyes.

 

“Sure.” Seulgi nodded. A smile crept up to her face. Somehow, she got a hunch that Irene would indeed conduct her option which was confessing. She just said she wanted to confess, right? Seulgi too was actually feeling jumpy inside. Her heartbeat slightly faster and there were times it skipped a beat. All were caused by the woman in front of her who still looked amazingly beautiful despite her no make-up face, hairs that put into a bun, and oversized shirt plus short pants that barely covered her cheeks.

 

“Honestly, I am so nervous and feeling afraid right now. I am scared that the words I am about to say will change our friendship. Before I start, can you promise me that no matter what you’d respond later, we’d stay friends and that you won’t avoid me?” Irene felt jittery. With a trembling hand, she offered her palm.

 

“Irene-ah. You know well that in spite of anything, the least we would be is being best friends. Even during our biggest fights, at the end of the day we’d end up reconciled and everything would go back to normal.” Seulgi replied.

 

“Promise me, Kang Seulgi.” Irene moved her hand again, beckoning Seulgi to just do what she said.

 

“I promise.” Seulgi sighed but shook her hand with Irene anyway.

 

“Actually, I never once thought that one day I’d be doing this. We’ve been friends for more than I can remember. I even dare to make a bet that you know me better than my siblings or parents do. You’re the one who knows me best.”

 

“You are the person who knows me best too.” Seulgi added.

 

“No interjecting, Seulgi-ah or I surely will abort my plan and end this discussion.” Irene frowned.

 

“Alright alright. I am sorry.” Seulgi smiled apologetically.

 

“You are very precious to me that every ex that I had had to pass your tests. If you didn’t like him on the first meeting then in less than a week, I’d end it up with him. I don’t need to even ask why because I trust you. I have faith in you that much that I never questioned why you didn’t agree or why you agreed with him.” Seulgi could only nod as a reaction.

 

“That justifies how much you mean to me. When my period comes, I’d inevitably have a foul mood that I’d randomly be angry at you without any clear reasons. Instead of complaining, you’d easily listen to my scolding and smiled at me. Whenever we fought, you’d be the first one to apologize even though most of the time I was the one at fault. That’s how much you care about me.” Seulgi smiled at the statement.

 

“You are an actress, a well-known singer too. It’s unavoidable to be busy when you’re involved in that kind of industry. What’s odd is the fact that you still can make time for me despite your unbearable schedules. No matter what shows you may have or how tight your schedules are, you never fail to be there for me whenever I need you. That defines how you always put me as your priority.” Seulgi slowly sipped her coffee while keeping her eyes on Irene and thought how cute Irene was when she was shy yet still trying to be serious.

 

“I feel precious, important, and loved only when I am with you. Not even my ex abled to make me feel that way.” Irene halted. Her eyes wandered to Seulgi. The shorter one smiled, indirectly approving her to continue.

 

“Whenever I had a fight or had a rough break up with my exes, I couldn’t help but wish my ex was as understanding as you, secretly praying that they would be at least having your half of patience. Comparing them to you becomes unavoidable. It’s like an assembled system that would automatically save your traits that I’ve known and compare them to my exes’ traits. The results are always the same; you’d come out as the winner. The way you treat me is way better than how they do or did.” Irene started fidgeting with her fingers, feeling more nervous than ever since she was nearing the end of her confession.

 

“Truthfully, I never planned this conversation to take place but a reliable person advised me to. She said I needed to be brave even with the risks of losing you as a friend. She reasoned out that it’s better, to be honest even though it’d mean pain than deceiving yourself for the rest of your life. So yeah, I decided to do what she advised.” Irene sighed. She pretended to drink her tea just so she would be able to hide half of her face from Seulgi.

 

“I didn’t actually remember when the exact date was but roughly, it’s been around 4 years or so that I started to see you differently. I no longer see you as a mere best friend. I see you much more than just my best friend. What I feel for you has expanded from friendly love to something more..” Irene paused.

 

“Called love..” She said those two words very quietly that Seulgi almost failed to hear it.

 

“I like you, Seulgi-ah. Wait.. No.. I love you and I don’t mean in a platonic way.” Irene braced herself and decided just to go all way out. She looked up and bravely saw Seulgi in the eyes when she confessed.

 

“You’ve given me your promise, Seulgi-ah so no matter what your answer will be, we’ll stay best friends at the very least.” Irene bit her bottom lip. Suddenly, a negative thought came into her mind. She pictured Seulgi not to be able to accept her in a positive way that she finally left her and moved out. With those thoughts, tears started to gather inside her eyes.

 

“I am sorry, Irene-ah. I cannot stay being your best friend after your revelation.” Seulgi’s statement triggered the tears to come out quicker than planned.

 

“Hey.. Don’t cry. I am not done talking.” Seulgi turned to panic. She didn’t expect the outcome would be this way. Seeing Irene cry, moreover if she’s hurt because of her was painful for her.

 

“No.. You’ve promised. I can’t possibly lose you.. You cannot leave me.” Irene sobbed harder. Seulgi stood up and hurriedly walked to Irene.

 

“I cannot be your best friend anymore because you’ve chosen the third option, 2110-niim.” Seulgi waited. Irene gasped and turned her head sideways almost immediately.

 

“Y-you knew?” Irene asked in disbelief. She felt her already crumbled world would vanish the moment Seulgi said she knew that she was indeed 2110.

 

“I know.” Seulgi nodded. She then helped to wipe the tears away from Irene’s face.

 

“Maybe you need to reconsider to hide your mobile phone next time. Don’t put it on the place I can easily see.” Seulgi smiled. Irene was speechless. All she could do was letting Seulgi brush her tears.

 

“I took days off because I found out that you’re 2110. The very same person who got problems with her love life since she ended up fell in love with her best friend who’s also a girl. And that person you fall in love with is me.” Seulgi continued.

 

“At first, I felt confused. I didn’t know what to do. I was lost. I didn’t know what I feel for you but at the same time, I don’t want to hurt you. Within those 6 days of my holiday, I spent it to contemplate. I kept thinking about what you mean to me, what I feel for you, and how I would react if one day you decided to confess or to give up on your feelings.” Seulgi then sat on the stool beside Irene.

 

“After spending time with you, I finally got my answer. And to answer your question before; no, it’s not only your assumption. I indeed have changed and I care about you much more than before. I pay attention to every little thing you did meticulously. I even crazily counted how many times you blink in a minute.” Irene giggled and Seulgi smiled genuinely at the sight.

 

“So, are you sure I still need to keep my promises to be your mere best friend? I was thinking to be your lover instead but what do I do if-“ Seulgi stopped talking or more like was shut by Irene’s lips.

 

“I-I am sorry.” Irene blushed and looked down. She just couldn’t control her action. Seulgi’s lips were too close and so she subconsciously leaned in and landed her lips on Seulgi’s.

 

“What are you sorry for? And.. Can I have more?” Seulgi grinned. She tenderly placed her hands on Irene’s waist and brought her face closer. Irene closed her eyes until she finally felt Seulgi’s lips recaptured hers. In reflex, she tilted her head and kissed Seulgi deeper. Her hands found Seulgi’s neck and it stayed there until the kiss ended and both of them pulled away.

 

“Wow…” Irene said. Seulgi chuckled.

 

“I love you too.” Seulgi kissed Irene’s forehead.

 

“Let’s end this friendship already!” Irene said it excitedly.

 

“You’re too excited, aren’t you?” Seulgi smirked. Irene shamelessly nodded her head vigorously.

 

“Where does my Joohyun live? She isn’t this eager before.” Irene pouted and Seulgi couldn’t help but want to kiss her again. That’s what she did. The kiss grew more passionately that it involved tongues and whimpers. Seulgi was the first to stop and withdrew.

 

“Stop being my best friend and be my lover instead?” Seulgi held Irene’s hand and asked.

 

“Yes! I’d love to be your girlfriend! Your one and only lover.” Seulgi swore she never saw Irene’s smile as blinding as now.

 

“Finally. Finally, I can call you mine.” Irene hugged Seulgi.

 

“As you are mine.” Seulgi kissed the side of Irene’s neck and buried her face inside Irene’s crook, inhaling the addicting scent.

 

“Feel free to send a message to my radio, saying how your best friend is the one to ask you to be her girlfriend instead and how you ended up accepting her. You two finally become lovers and live happily ever after~” Seulgi said.

 

“I will definitely do that even if you didn’t remind me, baby~ I will say thank you to Seulgi DJ for advising me the third option; the option I never provided but worked successfully in the end.” Irene commented.

 

“Because of following her advice has made the woman I’m in love with becomes mine. I never plan to let you go though.” Irene added.

 

“And I will say to 2110 to always keep her newfound lover for she too doesn’t plan to let her go.” Seulgi smiled. She closed her eyes and followed her instinct. She grabbed Irene’s neck and placed another kiss on her lips.

-Ã-

 

Consider this story as a way to apologize for being hiatus for the past months :D

And also as a celebration to welcome Seulo along with LUP season 5. Can't wait!!

Oh and you're welcome to share your thoughts and constructive critics below. Thank you!