Chapter 4 : Stop in the name of Love

The Marriage of Convenience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Chorong was in love with the blitzkrieg of Moon Byulyi at striking the foes within their midst with a speed of a cobra. She started from the level below Kim Yongsun’s office, working through all the offices with meticulously, intimidating them into an immediate resignation mostly through blackmail or daggling the possibility of termination while gathering evidence against their COO Lee who was in hospital treating his sprain.

She admired the way she dealt with the top management first, since they would have the most evidence of commercial espionage, which made getting rid the turncoats easier. There were spies in the CFO office, much to the surprised of the CFO himself, who was an ardent supporter of CEO Kim.

Her friend could learn a thing or two about her ruthless and brutal speed in which she executed the counterattack on the turncoats in their midst. The security guards were swamped with work for the first time, accompanying groups of resigned employees from Kim Inc, department by department.

By the time they were through with half of Kim Inc, the remaining departments fell into place, knowing that they could not escape from the clutches of the purple-haired Grim Reaper. They packed their desks before Chorong, Byulyi and a HR representative arrived, confessed their sins to maintain a shred of dignity and resigned on the spot. After all, the industry was not really that large, if their future employers realise that they were terminated for commercial espionage, they would not be employed.

The PA of the CEO knew that there were a lot of ears and eyes of Heir Lee in Kim Inc, but she did not realise the actual number. She had also pruned the humblest of employees like the cleaners to be very throughout. By the time they had completed this brutal task, only half of the employees remained and the stock market was already closed for the day.

“Ms Moon, are you not worried about the stocks of Kim Inc?” Chorong asked, resting on the back of the private elevator, on their way back to the CEO’s office. The actions of Byulyi had cemented her respect for the younger woman that she had automatically taken the position of a subordinate even though Byulyi was not a part of the upper management of Kim Inc.

The purple-haired woman shook her head lightly, careful with the iced drinks that she was carrying. “Wheepup is there. There is no need to worry. Do you have a decent team of lawyers on your payroll? It’s always good to be prepared. If that idiot tries to make a molehill of Kim Inc’s employee issues, we should try to squeeze as much money out of him as possible as reparations,” smiled Byulyi, rubbing her hands together.

Chorong blinked continuously before shaking her head. “No, our in-house lawyers had always been doing a fine job.”

The purple-haired alpha shook her head lightly. “No, they are inadequate to handle lawyers hired by a chaebol. I’ll give this matter some thought. It will be dinner time in a couple of hours. What does my wife like? I’m sure a celebration dinner is in the works.”

“You really have that much faith in your younger sister?” Chorong quirked a brow in disbelief.

Byulyi chuckled brightly, shaking her head. “Do not judge a book by its cover, my dear PA Park.” She winked at her and the assistant blushed furiously, her heart fluttering. The elevator finally stopped and its door spring open. They strode into the CEO office and Byulyi greeted by holding up two cups of iced coffee. “Iced coffee for the hardworking women!”

The gazes of Kim Yongsun and Jung Wheein swirled to her. Their eyes were bright with excitement, a sign that they had already resolved the issue.

“Unnie!” Wheein flew into her arms and Byulyi had to raise her arms up to prevent the younger omega from spilling coffee as she crashed into her with the force of a mini missile. “I made us heck lots of money. Praise me!” The adorable woman leapt into a blinky, winding her arms around her waist affectionately.

Park Chorong smiled indulgently as she took the two cups of iced coffee and handled a cup to the disappointed Yongsun who was on her feet, staring at the two women embracing each other affectionately. She schooled her face into a neutral expression and sat on her office chair, feeling an aching void in her chest.

“I guess from Ms Jung’s enthusiasm that we have overcome a crisis?” inferred Chorong. She looked at the screen that Yongsun had been staring at since the stock market opened and she nearly dropped the other cup of iced coffee when she saw that the price of the stock had increased to the price when the former CEO Kim was still running the company. “What... What happened?” She was flabbergasted, checking the screen again.

Yongsun smiled faintly. “The ‘Midas Touch’ happened. She has quite a following in the market, besides really deep pockets.” She cleared , schooling her face into a stoic mask. “I estimate that Heir Lee should be getting a lecture from his father about now.” Her generous lips curled in a faint smirk.

Byulyi and Wheein were snuggling on the couch as they caught up with each other. Wheein had practically crawled into the lap of the purple-haired alpha as they chatted happily. Yongsun would have found this sight adorable if she did not know that the two women were unrelated by blood—effectively a younger and cuter omega was flirting with her wife in front of her.

The blonde’s brows narrowed.

“Give me a moment, Yong. I have a present for you but you need to wait for another twenty minutes,” smiled Chorong secretively.

“Present?” The blond CEO raised a brow in disbelief. They had been worrying about the plight of the company for days, how did her friend find the time to pick up a present? “OK. I can wait for twenty minutes.” Her eyes returned to Byulyi and Wheein once again. “Ah, we should celebrate and return home early for once.”

“I’ll book a table at that restaurant? Would it be a table of four?” asked Chorong hesitantly. She knew that Yongsun had never brought her wife out.

“Yes. Byulyi played an important role in this victory,” answered the blond CEO spontaneously as she returned to work swiftly. Chorong could not help noticing that her friend’s plump cheeks were slightly pink.

Even though this crisis was over, there was still plenty of work to be done. The CFO, a very good friend of her father, would need an update soon. Besides, with this rare breather, they could finally look to having new projects to increase the revenue instead of worrying about the runway.

Chorong bowed and headed out, leaving her workaholic friend to sort out the mess.

The CEO tried to focus on her work but could not help being distracted with the way Byulyi and Wheein were so public with their affections. The purple-haired alpha would kiss the head of Wheein occasionally, casual affection that the blue-haired woman adored. If there were pheromones in the air, she would have intervened and break the lovey-dovey sisters apart.

The blond CEO mentally filed Byulyi’s preference to be demonstrative of her feelings. Her mind backpedalled on their interactions and noticed that Byulyi would naturally offer casual physical touches to soothe. The mild discomfort was allayed and she could focus on work properly.

The beautiful CEO sipped the cup of iced coffee and smiled faintly. Ah, this iced coffee was bought by Byulyi. Her friend would ask her for her orders before purchasing any beverages, only the purple-haired alpha would buy without checking with her as if she was very familiar with her taste. She smacked her lips appreciatively and found that she did like this cup. Yongsun continued to deal with the troublesome emails with renewed gusto.

“Honey,” prompted Byulyi from behind Yongsun suddenly and the older woman leapt into the air in shock like a frightened cat. She patted her chest out of relief when she realised it was Byulyi.

“Moon Byulyi! What are you doing?” The CEO scolded her before turning around to smack her chest to vent some of her annoyance. “Why are you standing so close to me?” She raised a brow at her suspiciously.

Across the room, Wheein was smothering her laughter as she watched the comical exchange between the married couple. Where was her debonair Unnie huh? She looked like a subdued little puppy, waiting for the praise of her owner, her wife. She giggled to herself, muting herself with a palm.

Byulyi pretended to look hurt, rubbing the spot that her wife had hit her. “Honey,” whined the purple-haired alpha. “I was just worried about your neck.” Her head was slightly bowed as she peered at her wife forlornly.

“My neck?” Yongsun asked in disbelief. “What about it?”

Byulyi rubbed the back of her neck, wondering how she ought to explain without sounding like she was ogling at her—what was wrong with ogling one’s wife? “Unnie, you were rubbing your neck for five minutes” explained Byulyi solemnly. “You might have strained your muscles from your long hours of work.”

“Oh.” Now that Byulyi had mentioned it, the CEO could feel the pull of her shoulder muscles. She must have been rubbing it reflexively which attracted the attention of her observant wife.

The purple-haired woman sighed, deciding to be the bigger person. She padded silently to stand behind her, reaching forward to rest just a hand on her bare neck.

The warmth of Byulyi’s hand startled her slightly. Sensing that Byulyi had only meant well, she relaxed fully, giving full rein to her wife. The purple-haired woman kneaded her neck muscle gently, trying to ease the build-up tension.

Yongsun could not help but moan almost sinfully at the expert way that Byulyi was easing her aches. She melted fully into her seat, allowing her wife to work on her neck and her tense shoulders. “Moon Byulyi, you’re really good at this.”

Byulyi snorted but continued to work on her muscles. “Unnie, will it hurt you address me with a little less hostility?” Her question was posed in a light-hearted fashion. She became serious. “One of the many useful skills of your wife. Often, we would end training felling sore all over, needing the use of a crutch to move to our resting area. We would help each other by easing the tension so that we can beginning training the next day with a relaxed body.”

The CEO was beginning to learn more about her wife from these anecdotes. Byulyi spoke of constant harsh trainings most of the time if she had revealed a titbit of herself. The purple-haired remained a conundrum, enshrouded with secrecy. Neither Byulyi nor Wheein shared about how they became close friends. When probed, Wheein had only adamantly declared how she owed everything to Byulyi.

For Yongsun, it was not difficult to guess the identity of Wheein from her elegant manners as if it was ingrained in her. The blue-haired omega was born to immense privilege and she had suspicions that she might from the mysterious Jung chaebol who had moved away from Seoul since the independence of South Korea.

The purple-haired alpha continued to knead both shoulders skillfully, working the tension out of her muscles and Yongsun had never felt better. When she heard a rap on the door of her office, she reached behind her to rest a hand on Byulyi’s hand appreciatively. “Thank you, Moon Byulyi.” She lifted her head to meet her gaze, smiling faintly at her.

The answering, crinkled smile was so genuine and adorable that it stole Yongsun’s heart away. Her sapphire eyes were glowing with happiness, her nose wrinkled, Indian dimples deepening, a unique smile. She realised that the younger woman smiled with her nose muscles, which was cute.

Byulyi rested her hand on her shoulder for just another moment, looking very contented. “Anything for my beautiful wife who worked so hard.” Her answer was a purr.

Yongsun cringed at her greasiness. “Aiggo. How do you sprout these lines?”

The purple-haired alpha merely chuckled mischievously. “It’s a gift.” The alpha winked at her playfully. She glanced at the door briefly and retreated to join the absorbed Wheein on the couch who was absorbed with her work.

CFO Ahn, a close associate of her father, a man that she saw as her uncle, was accompanied by Chorong into the office. Yongsun rose from her seat instantly to greet him with genuine fondness. “Uncle Ahn, I was about to call you.”

CFO Ahn was an amicable middle-aged man who seemed to value prudence. He was dressed neatly in a plain business suit that looked rather worn. The corner of his eyes wrinkled as he smiled at his niece-in-all-but-blood. “Yong-ah, don’t have to be so polite with me. Please sit too.” He waited for Yongsun to be seated before sitting down, honouring her position as CEO in the company. Chorong moved to stand behind Yongsun.

“Yong-ah, I hope that you did not spend too much of your personal money in the battle to prevent devaluation of stocks. Those idiots must be bought over to do such a thing suddenly.” He shook his head, disappointed.

The CEO shook her head, smiling faintly. “No, Uncle. I earnt quite a fair bit.” She admitted sheepishly, relaxing into her chair.

Uncle Ahn nodded, relieved. “That’s good. It’s a miracle then. We have been facing such problems since the passing of your father. It is about time we have some good news.” He smiled widely, looking genuinely relieved.

“Thank you, Uncle Ahn, for your support. Kim Inc would be in a poorer state if it wasn’t for you.” She sighed. She was aware of the tension between the two camps that supported the CFO and the COO respectively. She understood finally why COO Lee seemed to be so antagonistic since he was helping Heir Lee. That was a problem that she needed to settle quickly before the whole company was driven into another crisis due to internal matters.

The affable CFO smiled faintly, clasping his hands together. “Are you confident in getting COO Lee to leave the company?”

Yongsun looked confused for a moment, steepling her hands together.

“I heard that it was orders from the CEO office to remove some of our employees,” clarified Uncle Ahn immediately. He gestured around wildly, looking worried. “Don’t be mistaken. I only got to know about the operation since an employee in my department had resigned.” He looked confused when he noticed that his niece did not seem to know about this operation.

“If I may, CFO Ahn,” interjected Chorong formally, clasping her hands. “We have sufficient evidence to prove that COO Lee was conducting commercial espionage and selling our information to another party.” She handed a folder to the CEO and CFO each.

They scanned the documents quickly, noting that there was hard evidence of the claims. They could report to the police since it was a breach of trust. Yongsun schooled her face into a neutral expression as she finished perusing the document. She had an inkling of the mastermind behind this merciless operation.

Uncle Ahn slammed his hand hard on the desk, his face burgundy with anger. “That traitor! How could he have done this to you!” He fumed instantly, jumping on his feet. “I’m going to—”

“—Uncle, we’ll just terminate his services,” added Yongsun, trying to calm the older man. “It would not be long for the industry to find out why he was terminated.” She was struck by a wave of exhaustion after holding the evidence of the COO Lee’s betrayal. While she had suspected that he had betrayed their trust, she still held a flicker of hope that she might be wrong. With all the evidence lay in front of her, it was simply irrefutable.

Uncle Ahn sighed, shaking his head. “I’m so sorry, Yong-ah. I should have known earlier. We have been working for years.” He looked very aged by the revelation. “Just do what you must, Yong. You have my complete support.” He glanced at Chorong. “This is very good work. You have a very capable PA.” He flashed a thumb-up at her and Chorong bowed her head quickly, blushing furiously.

The CFO rose to his feet. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Yong. Go home early. Your wife must have missed you since you were at office all the time,” teased Uncle Ahn, not realising that the said wife was on the couch.

Yongsun recalled Byulyi finally. She rose to her feet quickly, gesturing for her to join her but the latter remained seated on the couch, unusually still. The blond CEO walked to Byulyi and grabbing her arm impatiently so that the latter would stand next to her. “Uncle Ahn, I haven’t introduced my spouse to you,” began Yongsun, schooling her face into a smile. “This is Moon Byulyi.”

Byulyi lowered her head awkwardly. “Hello, Uncle Ahn. It’s nice to meet you.”

Uncle Ahn studied the proud purple-haired alpha curiously. He knew that she was an alpha by her scent but there was something about her that set her apart from the other alphas. She seemed to carry herself with a regal bearing, which threw her secondary gender into question. Beyond her enigma and splendour, he liked the way her bright eyes shone with sincerity, a breath of fresh air in the business world.

His smile became more paternal as he touched his pockets, trying to find his wallet anxious. He groaned. “How scatterbrain of me. Byulyi, I should give you something as a blessing.” He held both of her hands. “Next time. Uncle Ahn will give you a blessing. I had no idea I would meet you today.”

“Uncle Ahn, you don’t have to,” sighed Yongsun, knowing how generous he was.

“No, no, it is a must,” decided Uncle Ahn resolutely. “It’s a blessing from an elder.” He patted her hand. “I can’t remember. Did I give you a wedding gift—”

Yongsun grabbed his arm, looking troubled. “—Uncle Ahn, you did! My sports car!”

Uncle Ahn frowned. “Did I get anything for Byulyi?”

“There is really no need, Uncle Ahn,” sighed Yongsun, guiding him towards the door. “You’ve been very generous and kind to my Unnie and I.”

Uncle Ahn ensured that Byulyi was a distance away and he regarded her sincerely. “Yong-ah, you have a gem. Uncle Ahn is very glad that you’ve a better eye for a partner than your Apa. I guess I shouldn’t complain since that woman gave birth to your elder sister and you.” He sighed again. He patted her hand paternally. “Take care of this wife of yours.”

Yongsun blushed furiously. “I will, Uncle Ahn.”

Uncle Ahn turned around to bade Byulyi farewell. “Byulyi, you help me to take care of my precious niece too. I can tell that you’re a good kid.”

Yongsun blushed furiously. “Uncle Ahn don’t praise Byulyi too much. She might develop a huge ego.”

“Unnie, I already have a huge ego. It’s my greatest flaw,” remarked Byulyi, laughing. “There is nothing wrong with a huge ego in my opinion.”

Uncle Ahn threw his head backwards and chuckled freely. He patted the shoulder of Byulyi. “I really like you, Byulyi. Take care of my Yong here. Don’t mind her icy exterior. She really has a heart of gold.”

The purple-haired woman agreed without missing a beat. “Indeed, Unnie does.” Her gaze was impossibly gentle when they lingered on the older woman. “Otherwise, Unnie wouldn’t be able to tolerate my nonsense.”

The CFO chuckled, delighted with this marriage between the two women. Yongsun needed someone to elicit her emotions and help her to recover from the loss of her Apa.

“Aish,” complained Yongsun, wincing. “Seriously.”

“Take your wife to some nice place, Yong-ah. Uncle Ahn will leave first,” smiled the older man as he let himself out after returning the confidential folder to Chorong. He whistled a happy tune as he took the elevator down.

The smile on Yongsun’s face disappeared at once. “Wheein-ah, do you mind stepping out for a moment? There is a garden right outside my office. It has a nice view of the city,” suggested the CEO, smiling sweetly.

Wheein sensing the tension in the office, took her laptop and fled out of the office quickly. She mouthed ‘Good Luck’ to her Unnie, knowing that the alpha was in trouble.

“PA Park, locked the door of the office now,” ordered Yongsun icily, barely repressing her temper. Instead of sitting behind her desk, she sat on the desk, her arms crossed. Her body was taut and her hazel eyes were wintry cold as her gaze vacillated between her assistant and spouse.

The two women sensing her fury, snapped into attention and stood in front of the desk rigidly.

“What have you two done behind my back?” Yongsun asked silkily, quirking a brow.

Byulyi steeled herself, stepping forward. “Unnie, I mentioned that I would deal with those troublemakers—”

“—And I told you not now, Moon Byulyi. I also told you not to get into trouble.” She turned to glare at her wife. “Do you not understand your position?”

Silence filled the office instantly.

The purple-haired woman was frowning, trying to comprehend her words. Her lips thinned. “Unnie, what do you mean? Do you mean my awkward position as the CEO’s wife? Perhaps, you meant my role in our marriage?”

Yongsun stiffened instantly at her questions.

Chorong lowered her head immediately, realising that the confrontation had become a marital spat. She tried to make her presence small, so that she would not garner the ire from her usually mild-tempered friend.

“Chorong, please leave us for a minute,” ordered Yongsun frostily, her entire being trembling with so much anger that she could not even sit on her desk. She balled her hands into fists.

The PA fled quickly and locked the doors behind her, leaving the couple to glare at each other, neither woman willing to back down.

“Moon Byulyi,” demanded Yongsun. “We had an agreement,” reminded the CEO coldly, unimpressed. “What did you not understand about the clause of portraying a loving marriage?”

Byulyi stiffened, her back ramrod-straight. “Unnie, shall we return to the issue at hand which was about what I might have done behind your back?” Her tone was deceptively sweet.

“Fine, Moon Byulyi,” countered Yongsun, glowering at her. She stepped away from her, walked to the full-length window and stared out of it.

“I had the individuals who were part of the mob resign as of today and had the security guards them out of the building,” reported Byulyi in an emotionless tone. “PA Park was assisted in identifying the individuals. The intention of this exercise was to get rid of the turncoats within the company when Heir Lee is distracted by his attempt to destroy Kim Inc and COO Lee isn’t around to block the attempt.” She schooled her face into a neutral expression. “It was a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to remove the turncoats while gathering sufficient evidence to move against the traitor,” justified Byulyi impassively, hiding the hint of hurt that she knew she should not feel.

Yongsun did not speak a word, staring out of the window with her hands clasped behind her back. Tense silence simply lengthened in the room until the CEO became more annoyed. She was waiting for Byulyi to admit her faults but that apology did not materialise.

The blond CEO spun around to glare at Byulyi, the latter not backing down. “Moon Byulyi, don’t you see why you were in the wrong?”

“I don’t,” countered the stubborn purple-haired woman honestly and Yongsun became more irritated. “My wife was nearly attacked by her staff. The constant threat of that traitor is destroying the company that my wife cherished more than her very life. I don’t think it was wrong to see a chance and act upon it.”

Of all reasons to account for Byulyi’s bellicosity, she did not expect it to stem from her concern for her. Her fury dissolved instantly and her stoic mask snapped to reveal a weary-looking Yongsun. She raked her fingers through her blond hair, out of frustration, unsure of how to answer to this self-righteous and proud alpha. “You, Moon Byulyi, are an idiot,” decided Yongsun, annoyed. She shook her head, averting her gaze. “I don’t need your protection—"

“—But I want to protect you,” interrupted Byulyi, her sapphire eyes glowing with resolve. Noticing that Yongsun was perplexed, she explained. “You’re my wife, Unnie—”

“—And who is going to protect you from the law? Moon Byulyi, I told you not to get into trouble because I don’t even know if I can shield you,” snapped Yongsun indignantly. She closed the distance between them, poking her chest with her forefinger. “Heir Lee is after your blood because of me—"

“—And what can that rich brat do to me?” retorted Byulyi, throwing her hands into the air. She did not care that her wife was trying to annoy her by poking her chest and remained upset that Yongsun allowed this bullying. “If that ing coward is in town, I would have taken the fight to him.” Her blue eyes glowed with promise.

“And what? Are you going to kill him?” The CEO snarled, losing her temper completely. “And bring down the wrath of the Lee Chaebol on us? Do you have any idea of how powerful the Lee Chaebol is?”

Yongsun’s chest was heaving from the explosion of rage as she continued to fire daggers with her eyes.

Byulyi picked up the scent of distress and backed down so that she did not aggravate her wife any further. It was never her intention to fight with her wife, given how fragile their relationship was. She sighed, running her hand through her silky purple hair. “Unnie, why are you tolerating his nonsense?”

The purple-haired woman was genuinely perplexed. She could not understand why Yongsun was so passive when Heir Lee was attacking at all fronts. Did she not understand that such individuals become more demanding when the other party was passive? Unnie would understand this principle so why? Did she care for that idiot?

The purple-haired woman tried to drum up an image of Lee Changsub: a tall, fair man who looked like he had never worked for a day. Her impression of him was faint because he did not earn any interest. What was memorable was the frosty interaction between Heir Lee and her wife. No, her wife did not care for that idiot, otherwise she would not have married her.

Yongsun scowled, hating the subtle accusation of impotence. She had never admitted it out loud that she was indeed powerless. “Yah, I can’t take him on,” imploded Yongsun heatedly, feeling unbearably vulnerable and helpless. Her eyes stung. “Is that what you want to hear, Moon Byulyi? I am nothing compared to an heir of a reputable Chaebol—"

“ that,” snarled Byulyi, baring her teeth as her blue eyes darkened into a menacing black. “You, Kim Yongsun, is worth ten of him!”

The blonde could only stare at her unblinkingly.

Byulyi started to pace back and forth in the office like a caged panther before remembering herself. She took a deep breath, scrubbing her face tiredly. She faced Yongsun again. “Unnie, I’m sorry for my outburst.” She lowered her head, accepting her mistake.

Yongsun’s gaze became inscrutable, pleasantly amazed that Byulyi could rein in her temper so quickly and apologise for it.

The gaze of Byulyi became unbearably gentle when it lingered on her wife. “If you feel that you can’t take them on, Unnie, let me do it. It will be my delight to remove this threat.” There was plea in her ocean-blue eyes as their eyes locked again.

The sincerity in her eyes was far too much for Yongsun. Instinctively, she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter