Loyalty

25 autumns

 

 

19. Sad kiss

 

 


 

Loyalty




 

These were difficult times where even the sound of thunder made the general agitated, worried that they were invading the royal quarters. There were days when he could barely sleep, standing in front of the door, watching every movement.

 

He heard the sound of a vase crashing on the floor and opened the doors without hesitation, finding him alone on the bed, tossing and turning constantly.

 

“Forgive me your majesty,” Woohyun pleaded, kneeling on the carpet. The king sat on the bed, covering his face with his hands. Another nightmare? Woohyun thought, before he spoke again. “I heard a loud noise and thought you were in danger.”

 

“Come here,” said the king, lying down again. His knight sighed, sitting up in bed. It didn't take long for the king to put his hands on his arms, impatient. “Lay down.”

 

He obeyed him slowly, taking a deep breath as he felt Sunggyu hug him tightly, hiding his face on his chest. Woohyun wrapped him back, his hair for a few seconds.

 

“They are insisting that I marry,” the king muttered in a low voice. Woohyun pursed his lips briefly. “They say that only then will the people trust me as they trusted my father.”

 

Woohyun didn't respond, hearing his king vent. There wasn't much to be done. Woohyun would kill or die to keep Sunggyu safe, so what he wished for didn't matter.

 

“Why don't you say you don't want this?” asked Sunggyu, frustrated. His knight continued to hug him.

 

“I would never dare,” he replied, noticing the king turning away to face him, extremely offended.

 

“Get out,” he ordered, turning in bed toward the wall. Woohyun let out a long breath and remained there.

 

“I cannot afford to demand more than your company, Your Majesty.” His voice was low. He hoped that Sunggyu would realize how sincere he was. “Your safety is my priority.”

 

“As if what we did here wasn't dangerous enough,” Sunggyu retorted. “Then I'll run away and you can try to protect me if you want,” he added, turning back to face him with a defiant expression. “Do you think I don't know that you intend to set out to face the east tomorrow?”

 

“I will do this to protect you,” Woohyun said without hesitation. Sunggyu turned around fully, bringing his hands up to his face.

 

“You don't have to go,” Sunggyu muttered. It was painful for Woohyun to see the sadness in his eyes. “Stay here with me, it's an order.”

 

There was nothing he could say. Woohyun approached, joining their lips in a sweet kiss, enveloping him around the waist. Sunggyu responded with the same passion, squeezing his back as if he could hold him there.

 

“I will come back for you, your majesty,” Woohyun muttered as he moved away, Sunggyu's face with devotion. “I promise.”

 

Sunggyu hugged him tight, feeling his heart tighten. He hoped Woohyun would keep his promise. In all those years by his side, he was always completely loyal and devoted to Sunggyu. And that couldn't change. Sunggyu would never accept.

 

When morning came, Woohyun packed up his weapons and prepared to leave. He kissed the sleeping lips carefully, trying not to wake his beloved king. He promised quietly that he would come back, because he needed to protect Sunggyu until the end of his days.