. Crash

I Will Always Choose You

Yujin came back to her apartment with a heavy heart. Her grandfather had promised to send all the evidence he found. She looked around her apartment searching for a certain redhead. It seemed that Xiaoting was still out with Mashiro. Yujin decided that she was going to keep this a secret for now. Xiaoting has a lot on her plate currently, no doubt busy dealing with the aftermath of their relationship being revealed to the world. But she needed to tell Yeseo and Youngeun. She needed their help to put together some sort contingency plan now that she knows how far her uncle is capable of going.

After a few days, Yujin told her two co-workers what her grandfather told her and showed them all the evidence. The three of them have met up a few times to come up with some sort of plan. They were in a car on the way to Yujin’s apartment. Yeseo and Yujin were in the back talking about work. Youngeun was driving as per her body-guarding duties and notices a car has been following them for a while. She alerted her two passengers.

“Youngeun don’t bring us home. Circle around the district.” Yujin ordered.

Youngeun obeyed her superior and did what she was told. After a few minutes of driving around, the tailing car finally disappeared from sight. They were currently stopped at a red light in an intersection.

“Unnie, I think you should stop staying at your current apartment. If the paparazzi knows your apartment, I don’t doubt your uncle knows too.” suggested Youngeun.

“You’re right. I guess I’ll stay at the one near the edge of the city then. It’s going to take forever to reach the office. What am I going to tell Xiaoting”. Yujin sighed at her predicament.

“Wait, you haven’t told her yet!?”. Yeseo had her eyes wide open.

Yujin couldn’t say anything to that and avoided their accusing gazes.

“Unnie! Why would you do that? I thought the two of you share everything?”. The youngest of them continued.

“We do! It’s just with everything going on with the dating scandal happening. I didn’t want to worry her. She has a lot on her plate already. I’ll tell her once things settle down”

“Okay unnie. Should I call someone to tidy up the apartment you’re moving into?” asked Yeseo. The light turned green and cars started moving through the traffic.

“Yeah, please do”

Youngeun glanced at the rear view mirror, locking eyes with Yujin. “At least, that apartment has a better view than the one you’re staying at”.

“It’s a little smaller but true the view is- YOUNGEUN LEFT CAR!“ Yujin shouted and moved to shield Yeseo.

Youngeun floored the acceleration pedal in attempt to avoid the car barreling into the side of the car. They didn’t manage to dodge the car completely, it still hit the the back side of their car and caused their car to spin right into the sidewalk. Yujin’s head was ringing, everything was blurry. She thinks she hears shouting and screaming. She couldn’t keep her eyes opens and then everything turned black.

 

Xiaoting was in her waiting room, getting dolled up for filming a makeup CF. She has a gnawing feeling that something was wrong. Yujin hasn’t replied, her messages haven’t been read yet. She said that she had some free time this afternoon and they then would meet up at night as usual. She tried to shake off the anxiety and try to focus on her lines. The television nearby was covering a car crash incident, 4 people were involved in side-impact accident. Witnesses say the crash was intentional. Alleged perpetrator tried to flee scene but was caught by one of victims in the crash. The car looked like Yujin’s company car but it’s a generic brand of car. It is used by nearly every company. The director called for Xiaoting to come on set. Xiaoting snapped her attention back to her job. Maybe Xiaoting will receive her reply after work. Yujin was probably busy with an emergency meeting or something. Yeah that was probably it. Everything was fine. They’ll meet up later tonight.

 

“WHO ARE YOU!?” Youngeun screamed at the man she pinned on the ground. Despite the blood pouring out of the cut above her eyebrows, she still managed to detain the driver of the car that crashed into theirs. “Did Choi Dae-Jung sent you!?” she pressed her knees into his back side further making him groan in pain.

Some where behind her, Yeseo was screaming at the top of her lungs. “Yujin unnie! Stay with me! Youngeun unnie! Help!”

“Damn it!” She kicked the man unconscious and rushed to the two. She wrenched open the back seat door and saw that Yujin’s head was bleeding and her arm was in an odd angle. Yeseo seemed to be okay but her face was pure terror. Youngeun took a steady breath. She was trained for events like this.

“Yeseo, look at me” she turned Yeseo around and cupped her face. “Take a deep breath. Hold it….. And tet it out” she repeated this a few times to calm the younger down.

“I need you right now Yeseo and so does Yujin unnie okay. Help is on the way but we can’t let the media write up insane stories about the crash okay. I need you to get out there and do what you do best. I’ll stay here with Yujin unnie and tend to her wounds okay”

“Okay.. okay..” Yeseo let out a few shaky breathes and nodded before getting out of the car to handle the people gathering outside.

Youngeun turned to Yujin and assess the damage. “Unnie, don’t you dare go anywhere. Xiaoting unnie will kill me. I need you to hold on please”. She took off her jacket to press it on to the side of Yujin’s head to stop the bleeding. Youngeun was trained for kidnapping, assaults and confrontations but that didn’t mean she wasn’t scared. Questions began to flood her head. How bad did she hit her head? How broken was her arm? There’s so much blood, wouldn’t she need a transfusion by now? Was this planned? No answers could be heard. She felt useless, she should’ve seen the car coming. She shouldn’t have let her focus wander. Waiting for paramedics to arrive felt like hours but waiting for Yujin’s operation to finish felt like an eternity to her.

 

Xiaoting was worried now. She had finished her shooting and was about to head home but there is still no news from Yujin. It was already late at night. She doesn’t want to be ‘that’ girlfriend who wants to know where her lovers is, how she was with and keeps why wasn’t she replying to her messages. She trusts Yujin. The girl wouldn’t cheat on her, they love each other too much. But damn it, she has been uneasy since this afternoon. She tried calling her lover again, still no answer. Xiaoting decides to try to call Yeseo maybe she knows where Yujin is. Her heart dropped when she heard the voice on the other line. Yeseo sounded like she had been crying. Yujin had been in an accident. A car crashed into theirs. Youngeun caught the man trying to escape. Yujin had been the worst out of them as she protected Yeseo. All of them were in the hospital. Yujin finished her operation around a couple of hours ago.

Xiaoting leaves for the hospital with Mashiro as soon as possible. The two got into the car and Xiaoting told Mashiro which hospital the girls were at. Then it hit her, the car accident in the news this afternoon before the shoot. That was Yujin. Oh god. That was her Yujin in the accident. She didn’t even want to think about the ‘what if’s. When they arrive at the hospital, Yeseo and Youngeun were waiting at the lobby for them. Yeseo had small cuts while Youngeun has bruises and a medical patch above her eyebrows. They lead her to Yujin’s room where a doctor was just leaving. She peeked into the room and found her girlfriend deathly pale with bandages on her head and a cast on her left arm. The doctor explained to them that Yujin has a broken arm and concussion that might leave some momentary vision loss. She needed to stay at the hospital for a few days until her vision clears. After talking to the doctor, Mashiro takes Youngeun and Yeseo home to get some rest while Xiaoting stays with Yujin.

 

As soon as she opened the door, Yujin voice called out.

“Yeseo? I can’t see anything. Could you reply to Xiaoting for me? Don’t tell her I was in a crash. I don’t wanna worry her”

“It’s a little too late for that Yujin unnie”

Even in her current state, Yujin recognizes that voices so well. Xiaoting only calls her unnie when she’s upset.

“Ting? Wha-?”. Yujin tried to get up but winced in pain. Xiaoting immediately rushes to her side.

“Hey, hey take it easy. You just got operated on”

“Ah, no wonder everything hurts”

They were silent for a couple of seconds until Yujin spoke up. ”I’m sorry”

“What are you even apologizing for?”

“I didn’t want to upset you. How did you know I was here?”

Her heart melted at that. Even injured, Yujin still manages to find a way to prioritize Xiaoting’s feelings. She couldn’t help but let tears flow out. All the pent up worry and anxiety since this afternoon is now out. She grabbed her girlfriend’s uninjured hand and clasped them between hers.

“I was so worried. You were missing all day. I texted you but you didn’t reply. I even tried calling you. When I finally called Yeseo, she was crying. She said you were in a car crash. Do you remember?”

“I remember. I think a car barreled into the side of our car. Are the kids alright?”

Her girlfriend truly has a kind heart. She thinks of others well-being above hers first. As much as she loves her caring nature, she just wishes Yujin would prioritize herself more sometimes.

“They’re okay. You protected Yeseo well. The kids just have cuts and bruises. A little shaken but okay. Shiro just took them home”

Yujin let out a sigh of relief at that. Xiaoting moved to push stray hair away from Yujin’s face.

“I guess I got the short end of the stick then. What’s the damage?”

“You broke an arm, a concussion, that’s probably why you can’t see well right now. The doctor said it was only temporary so don’t worry. And you have a bruise on your pretty little face”. Xiaoting teased as she reached out for her girlfriend’s cheek and caressed it softly.

Yujin melted into the touch. “So that’s why everything is blurry. Too bad, I really want to see my girlfriend’s pretty face. You look like red spaghetti”.

Xiaoting sniffled and giggled at that. Her Yujin was probably a little unstable from the anesthetics.

“Hey, are you crying?” Yujin scrunched her eyebrows when she heard Xiaoting sniffle. She turned her head to where she thinks Xiaoting is.

“Now you notice?” Xiaoting let out a chuckle. She couldn’t stop her tears from flowing. “I was so so scared. I had to stop myself from imagining the worst. I can’t even bear the thought of losing you. I don’t know what I’ll do without you Yujin. Please, don’t get hurt anymore. Please, stay with me always. Please…” Xiaoting dropped her head onto her hand on Yujin’s bedside and started sobbing.

“I’m sorry Ting. Please don’t cry. It hurts me when you cry” Yujin tried really hard to lift her uninjured hand and plopped it on the red hair she loves so much.

When Xiaoting finally calmed down, they talked a little bit more before Xiaoting ushered Yujin to get some rest. She held her lover’s hand sang a little lullaby until she fell asleep. Xiaoting opened her phone to text Mashiro. The youngest two had safely arrived home. Mashiro was on her way back to Xiaoting with a change of clothes and toiletries. Xiaoting thanked her manager and apologizes for the trouble. At this point, Mashiro isn’t just her manager. She was one of her closest friends. She’s lucky she is surrounded by such kind people. Xiaoting glanced back at her girlfriend and kissed her forehead, mindful of the bruise. She let her lips linger for a few seconds. She made sure her girlfriend was comfortable before getting up to grab some coffee. It looks like she got to spend the night with her Yujin after all.