Chapter Ten

Beauty of My World

Seokjin's eyes fly open, landing on Taehyung's handsome and gentle face. Surely, Seokjin heard wrong. The rain must be messing with him.

 

He looks away from him as he pulls his hands away. "Where are you going?" Taehyung asks lowly in his sweet voice, holding onto Seokjin's fingertips. 

 

"I...don't feel so well," Seokjin says, finding himself short of breath. 

 

Concern takes over Taehyung's face and he is quick to say, "Let's go inside." Seokjin is glad to do so.

 

Once they entered the house, Seokjin doesn't let himself linger in Taehyung's hold, pulling away. "Sorry," he apologizes. "I know you wanted to play in the rain."

 

"It's fine," Taehyung dismisses his apology. "How are you feeling?" Taehyung asks, stepping towards him. "Do you feel lightheaded or do you feel hot?" He holds out a hand as if to feel Seokjin's forehead for a temperature.

 

Seokjin pulls his hand down. "I just feel a little nauseous. But I think I'll be fine after some rest." Taehyung nods, even though he looks like he has more to say. 

 

"I'll go rest in the living room now," Seokjin tells Taehyung. He shuffles away, unable to face the alpha. 

 

After taking off his raincoat, Seokjin sits on the sofa. Leaning back, he closes his eyes and tries to forget what Taehyung had said. He had to have heard wrong or it must have been some sort of miscommunication.

 

"I brought you some water," Taehyung announces, standing in the middle of the living room, back turned to Seokjin.

 

"Th-thanks," Seokjin expresses his gratitude. Upon hearing his voice, Taehyung turns around. 

 

"Here," Taehyung says as he holds the glass of water out, angled slightly away from Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin takes the glass, feeling horrible about making Taehyung cater to him. He takes a sip as Taehyung sits beside him. "Are you hungry?" Taehyung asks. 

 

Seokjin shakes his head and then realizes that Taehyung can't see. "N-no," he stammers.

 

Taehyung's hand pats the sofa a few times before he finds Seokjin's hand. He takes it as he apologizes, "Sorry for making you go out into the rain." Seokjin's tenseness dissipates as Taehyung continues. "I didn't mean for you to not feel well."

 

He turns his head slightly and his eyes meet Seokjin's. Though Seokjin knows that Taehyung is blind, he felt that at that moment, Taehyung could see him. "I just wanted to spend time with you and make you happy," Taehyung confesses, voice calm and velvety.

 

Seokjin can hear the rhythmic thumping of his heart in the rain. "Forgive me?" Taehyung asks, sincerely. His lips press into a thin line as if worried that Seokjin was angry at him and would not forgive him. His hand that wasn't holding Seokjin's was nervously tapping his knee. 

 

Seeing Taehyung like that, Seokjin just wanted to hug him and protect him from the world's immorality. "You don't need to apologize. You didn't do anything wrong," Seokjin explains. "I'm okay. Besides, me feeling unwell had nothing to do with the rain." 

 

"Then, what was it?" Taehyung questions.

 

"I just.." Seokjin's voice trails off. "I just get minor headaches at times," he lies, not wanting to tell the truth about how Taehyung's words affected him.

 

Taehyung clicks his tongue. "You should take care of yourself too. Not just me, okay?" Taehyung scolds with care.

 

"I know," Seokjin murmurs. 

 

Taehyung leans back, head resting against the sofa. As he closes his eyes and makes permanent the fact that he wouldn't leave Seokjin's side, he speaks softly, "I wouldn't want something to happen to you."

 

Again, Seokjin is into a state of confusion, conflict, and delight.

 

 

———————————————————

 

 

Taehyung reaches his hand up and successfully finds the cupboards. Inching his way slowly, he opens it and rummages through its contents. He cringes whenever he knocks something over and attempts to put everything back the way they were.

 

Fortunately, he soon finds the cereal. He navigates the cereal out, along with two bowls. Setting them down on the counter. He counts his steps to the fridge, finding it. 

 

Lightly, his fingers skim over the fridge's items until they land on the gallon of milk. Adjusting his grip, he takes it out of the fridge. He makes sure to carefully close the fridge door before counting his way back to the counter. 

 

His pinky toe hits the island counter and he has to refrain from letting out a cry of pain. Limping, he sets the gallon of milk down and waits as the pain subsides. While he waits, he listens carefully if Seokjin's gotten up yet. 

 

Hearing nothing from upstairs, Taehyung gets back to work. He pours the cereal into the two bowls and hears some spill out. He sighs at the mess but swiftly sweeps it up. Once he's sure the counter is clean of fallen cereal, he pours milk into the bowls, doing his very best to not let any spill. 

 

When putting the milk back in the fridge, his hand bumps into a pack of tiny balls. He picks one up, feeling how squishy it is. Curious, Taehyung plops it into his mouth. 

 

'Blueberries,' he concludes as the fruit's juice seeps into his tongue. Smiling at his discovery, he takes the pack of blueberries out and rinses them. He also puts them into a bowl.

 

Meticulously, he sets each of the bowls onto a tray and balances it in his hands. The bowl requires both of his hands so he has to leave his white cane behind which works a nervous sweat onto his forehead. However, he proceeds confidently up the stairs. 

 

Traveling up the stairs is a lot harder than when he came down. He has to listen to every little detail and move extra slowly to make sure none of the food spills. 

 

After a long journey, Taehyung arrives at his and Seokjin's bedroom. 'Our bedroom?' he repeats in his head, cheeks reddening. Internally, smacking himself in the head, he continues forward. 

 

He's glad he didn't close the bedroom door fully when he left because now he can just nudge it open with his foot. Nudging it open, he quietly enters the room. "Seokjin?" he asks, unsure if Seokjin is woken up yet. There's no response so Taehyung closes the door behind him and tiptoes toward Seokjin. 

 

"Seokjin?" he questions again as he gets closer to the bed. He balances the tray in one hand as he reaches down to find the nightstand. His cheeks flame up when instead of the nightstand, his hand lands on the top of Seokjin's head, touching his soft tuft of hair.

 

Taehyung pulls away, embarrassed at his mistake. He shifts his hand slightly over and finds the nightstand. Releasing a breath, he sets the tray down. Awkwardly, he stands by the bed, waiting for Seokjin to wake up. 

 

Should he wake Seokjin up? He doesn't want to disrupt Seokjin's sleep though. 

 

Not wanting the cereal to get soggy, Taehyung leans down a bit. "Seokjin," he calls out in a soft voice. "Seokjin," he tries again as he reaches a hand out to find his shoulder. 

 

Yet, his hand lands on Seokjin's cheek instead. Taehyung's face goes aflame again and he knows he should move his hand away. But his selfish heart keeps his hand glued to Seokjin's soft cheek. 

 

He leans further down until his knees are touching the ground. "Wake up, Seokjin," he says lightly. His thumb brushes Seokjin's cheek delicately, feeling Seokjin's eyelashes kiss the tip of his thumb.

 

Besides his loud heartbeat, Taehyung can hear Seokjin's even breathing. His hand slides up to rest on Seokjin's fluffy hair, caressing his head. 

 

At this point, Taehyung forgets his agenda and lowers his head until his cheek hits the pillow that Seokjin is sleeping on. He blinks as he tries to make out Seokjin's face which of course doesn't show up.

 

He wonders if he'll ever get to see Seokjin. He wonders if he'll ever get to lay his eyes on the handsome prince in front of him. 

 

Seokjin stirs and instantly, Taehyung jumps away. He does so with so much force that he falls back onto his behind, causing a ray of pain to shoot up his spine. "Ow," he hisses. 

 

He knows that Seokjin is awake at this point and expects him to ask him what he was doing. However, it isn’t words that hit his ears, but laughter. 

 

Laughter is the best medicine because Taehyung's pain flows away as he listens to Seokjin laugh. It's so beautiful that it tugs at the corners of Taehyung's lips, making him smile even though Seokjin is laughing at him.

 

"What," Seokjin has to stop between his laugh. "are you doing?" His laughter bubbles down into a giggle as Taehyung stands up.

 

"I was waking you up," Taehyung tells him. "But you moved and it made me flinch," he admits shyly. 

 

Seokjin lets out another laugh and hearing it makes Taehyung smiles again. He reaches for the tray on the nightstand and picks it up. "I made you breakfast," he says as he sinks onto the bed next to Seokjin with the tray in his hands. "Well, I didn't really make it. I just put it together," he clarifies as he scoots closer to Seokjin. 

 

"It looks good," Seokjin comments, sending an arrow straight to Taehyung's heart. He feels Seokjin's fingers brush his as Seokjin takes the tray away from him. "Let's eat together." 

 

Taehyung nods eagerly. Seokjin places a bowl of cereal in his hands, along with a spoon. As Taehyung eats, Seokjin speaks, "I've never had breakfast in bed before. Thank you, Taehyung." 

 

Upon this new information, Taehyung does a little happy dance in his head. "You're welcome," Taehyung says, restricting himself from saying more. 

 

~~~~

 

After much insisting, Seokjin allowed Taehyung to accompany him to get groceries. That means they would have to take the bus to get to the city. After locking up, the two walk to the bus stop. 

 

Taehyung has his sunglasses on again which he isn't used to. He wants to take them off, however, he still feels self-conscious about other people seeing his eyes. Perhaps it would be fine if he doesn't wear them right now. After all, it's only him and Seokjin. 

 

His fingers go up to touch the glasses' handle, wondering if he should take them off. His fingers curl around the handle and slowly, he starts to slide it off his face. Before the glasses could fully come off, he hears a car zoom by. Recoiling, he pushes the glasses back on his face.

 

He'll just keep them on in the meantime. His feet pick up pace as Seokjin's steps sound further ahead. Utilizing his white cane, he manages to not trip and catch up with Seokjin. To confirm that Seokjin's next to him, he asks, "Seokjin?" 

 

"Yeah," Seokjin replies, still by his side. "What is it?" 

 

"Nothing," Taehyung says, switching the white cane from his right hand to his left since Seokjin is on his left. Now free, Taehyung drops his hand. His hand brushes against Seokjin's.

 

"What do you want to do when we get to the city?" Seokjin asks him. Their hands brush each other again.

 

"Aren't we going to go grocery shopping?" Taehyung wants to connect their hands like he usually does. Yet, this time, he wants to see if Seokjin would initiate hand-holding first. 

 

"Yeah, but, we can spend the majority of the day in the city and take the last bus back," Seokjin utters. Then, softer, he adds, "So, is there anything, in particular, you'd like to do?" 

 

Taehyung feels a small smile tug at his lips, happy that Seokjin is thinking of him. "No," he answers, suppressing his smile. "Is there something you want to do?" His pinky finger sparingly wraps around Seokjin's pinky finger for a second before their hands brush away.

 

"Well, it's been a long time since we ate fast food so let's fill our stomachs with pizzas and burgers while we're there," Seokjin tells him.

 

Taehyung chuckles, finding him adorable. His hand grazes against Seokjin's again. "We can do that and anything else that you want to do." 

 

"Really?" Seokjin questions, skeptical. 

 

"Yes, really," Taehyung affirms. "Why? Do you not believe me?" He sways his hand slightly. 

 

"Hmm.." Seokjin contemplates. Their hands bump each other. "From my memory, you're quite picky."

 

"Picky?" Taehyung frowns. "Since when?" he asks, unknowingly pouting. He nudges Seokjin's hand with his.

 

"Since I met you," Seokjin says, though not with a grudge, but with a smile in his voice.

 

This melts Taehyung's pout into a happy upturn of his lips. "Give specific examples then," he challenges, hand skimming against Seokjin's.

 

"You're picky about people," Seokjin starts. Taehyung parts his lips to the object, but Seokjin continues. "You're always so cold and quiet when Jungkook's around." 

 

Taehyung scoffs. "No," he denies. "I'm just a..reserved person," he attempts to explain. 

 

"Right," Seokjin says sarcastically. "Well, you're also picky about food," he redirects.

 

"Am not," Taehyung shoots back, half-exasperated and half-amused at Seokjin's determination.

 

"You are," Seokjin claims. "You don't eat vegetables and beans." 

 

"That's called a preference," Taehyung justifies half-heartedly, bottom lip protruding. "You shouldn't be judging me anyhow," Taehyung pauses as his thumb skims over Seokjin's soft hand. "You're picky too."

 

"Give examples then," Seokjin imitates him.

 

"When you've finished cooking, you always need me to try the food first before plating it", Taehyung begins proudly. 

 

"I only started doing that recently," Seokjin mumbles. "Besides, that's not even me being picky," he disagrees. 

 

Taehyung disregards him and continues to list. "You always need to wash the dishes immediately after we finish eating without taking a break." Taehyung's hand touches Seokjin's again. "When I do the dishes to give you time to rest, you always have to find another chore to do." Seokjin's hand starts to move away, but Taehyung takes hold of it, stopping him. "Why?"

 

Taehyung doesn't understand why Seokjin is constantly doing chores. It's only the two of them so the house can't be that messy. Whenever Taehyung offers to help lighten the workload so that Seokjin can rest, Seokjin always finds another chore to do. 

 

"..It's my job," Seokjin replies quietly, slipping his hand out of his hold. 

 

This breaks Taehyung's heart. "It's not," he is quick to say. "You're not my housekeeper. You're not my servant. You're-" Taehyung's voice is drowned out as the loud rumble of the bus passes them. 

 

Seokjin gasps, "That's the bus we're supposed to take." Taehyung feels Seokjin grab his hand. "Hurry, we have to catch it!" 

 

Without warning, Seokjin sprints into a run, pulling Taehyung after him. Used to the motion, Taehyung can swiftly shorten the white cane so that neither of them trips over it as they run. 

 

"Hurry! We're almost in the driver's view!" Seokjin yells as they run.

 

Taehyung can't help it as a grin displays on his face at their funny situation. "Seokjin!" he raises his voice to be heard over the nearing rumble of the bus.

 

"What?!" Seokjin responds, distraught. He's not sure if that means Seokjin can't hear him or if Seokjin can, and is asking what it is he's asking about. 

 

Yet, Taehyung proceeds and proclaims, "You're more important to me than a housekeeper and a servant!" 

 

"Huh?!" Seokjin yells, confused. 

 

Their hands are slipping apart, but Taehyung tightens his grip. The roar of the bus is louder as they near it. Though there's the possibility that Seokjin has not heard a word he said and may not hear the next, Taehyung declares in his normal volume, "You're my one and only."

 

The words echo loudly in Taehyung's ears and red slowly blossoms on his face as he realizes that he voiced his feelings out loud. Though Seokjin didn't hear, the world now has.

 

~~~~

 

After arriving in the city, Seokjin suggested that they get lunch first and then grocery shop. So, that's what they do. They find a pizzeria nearby and order a pizza and soda. 

 

As Seokjin leads Taehyung to a table, Taehyung proposes, "Let's eat outside." From the soft breeze and warmth from the sun, he felt, it seems like today is a nice day. 

 

"Sure," Seokjin agrees. "There's even a park across the street." 

 

They leave the pizzeria with Seokjin resting a hand on Taehyung's arm to lead him. "I can help you carry either the pizza or soda," Taehyung tells him.

 

"It's okay. I got it," Seokjin assures him.

 

Taehyung can tell that they've reached the crosswalk when they stop and Seokjin momentarily lets go of him to press the button. The whooshing of cars can be heard as they wait. 

 

"Okay, the light is green," Seokjin tells him.

 

Not wanting to burden Seokjin, Taehyung takes a step off the sidewalk, not relying on Seokjin to lead the way. It can't be that hard. He just has to use his white cane, listen carefully, and walk straight.

 

Taehyung does so, slowly and cautiously. He can tell that he's going to reach the other side soon. This brings a smile to his face at the knowledge that he was able to cross the street all by himself. 

 

HONK! Taehyung flinches so hard, curling up for impact and dropping his white cane. It clatters onto the road, but Taehyung stays standing. He's confused as he didn't get hit and there doesn't seem to be a car in front of him. 

 

"Are you okay?!" 

 

"Is he hurt?!" 

 

Taehyung wonders if people are talking to him. He feels people rush past him and some even bump into him. He's so lost and confused. "Seokjin, what are they talking about?" he asks. 

 

Yet, there is no Seokjin by his side to answer him. Taehyung's eyes widen and panic seeps into him as he runs toward the cluster of voices. 

 

"Sir, can you get up?" 

 

"Did someone call the ambulance?" 

 

"Seokjin!" Taehyung shouts. It can't be. He pushes past the crowd of people. "Seokjin!" His eyes well up. It can't be. Seokjin didn't get hit by the car, did he? Taehyung should have never gone first. He should have stayed by Seokjin's side. This is all his fault. 

 

"Seokjin!" Taehyung shouts again, desperately. 

 

"I'm right here, Taehyung," Seokjin's voice fills his ears again. He feels someone take his arm. 

 

Taehyung turns towards his voice. "Y-you didn't get hurt?" he asks, still scared. 

 

"No, that was someone else," Seokjin reassures him. Taehyung pulls Seokjin into a hug, clutching him tightly. Seokjin's scent envelops him, confirming that he is safe and sound. 

 

Taehyung's heart is racing, but not in a good way. It's racing in fear that he almost lost Seokjin.

 

~~~~

 

After eating lunch in the park, Taehyung and Seokjin did their grocery shopping, but could not return home due to a storm that was flooding parts of the roads. That left them the option of staying in the city overnight. 

 

Seokjin found them a hotel so everything worked out, except for the fact that Taehyung is still shaken up from what happened at the crosswalk. He doesn't want to think about what would happen if something terrible were to happen to Seokjin. He hates it as he knows that he can't do anything to protect Seokjin. 

 

It's always Seokjin who is protecting him, never the other way around. Is that the only way their relationship is going to be? Taehyung doesn't want that. He also wants to give and protect Seokjin. He doesn't want to be a burden to Seokjin.

 

The door to the terrace opens and Taehyung turns his head, expecting to hear Seokjin's voice. Instead, he feels a warm blanket settle around his shoulders. No words are exchanged as Seokjin sits down next to him, adjusting the blanket so that it doesn't slide off Taehyung's shoulders.

 

Taehyung feels wetness gloss over his eyes as he's given another example of how much Seokjin does for him.

 

"I have a surprise for you," Seokjin announces. Taehyung doesn't say anything, only adopting a confused expression on his face. Nonetheless, Seokjin takes his hand. Gently, he opens Taehyung's palm and places something in it. 

 

Seokjin retracts his hand as Taehyung brings his other hand to feel the foreign object. The object is tiny and can be easily engulfed in Taehyung's fist. "What is it?" Taehyung asks, unable to recognize the item. Just then, his fingers brush a tiny lever. Hesitantly, he turns the lever.

 

Quietly and delicately, music starts playing from the tiny box. The music pleasantly fills Taehyung's ears, creating a familiar tune. 

 

"This is the song you keep humming in the shower, isn't it?" Seokjin asks, brightly. 

 

Taehyung feels shy at his notice, now self-conscious of his humming. "Y-yeah.." The notes continue to drift out from the music box. "Where did you get it?" 

 

"In the hotel's shop," Seokjin tells him. "Do you like it?" 

 

"Yeah," Taehyung lets out softly, trying to focus on the song instead of the flush on his face. "Why did you get it?" It's not any special occasion whatsoever. 

 

"Well..." The music continues to dance behind their conversation. "You were quiet today after what happened at the crosswalk. You didn't talk much and just kept to yourself." Immediately, Taehyung's ashamed of himself for spoiling the mood of the trip.

 

Though he is conflicted, he shouldn't have let it show and ruin Seokjin's day as well. "I wanted to lift your spirits again," Seokjin utters gingerly, holding no contempt toward Taehyung. 

 

The music notes continue floating up into Taehyung's ears as Seokjin continues to speak. "If you have any worries, you don't have to keep them bottled up inside of you. You can tell me. I don't like to see you stressed and struggling alone." 

 

Taehyung grabs the lever, bringing the song to an abrupt stop. He ignores the wetness starting to form in his eyes. "Do you want to know why I've been quiet the whole day?" he questions, trying to keep the emotions from entering his voice.

 

"Only if you want to tell me," Seokjin answers passively. Taehyung feels a lump form in his throat. This is why his heart beats for Seokjin. Seokjin does so much for him and asks for nothing in return. Seokjin helps push him to try new things and grow, but never pressures him. He lets go of the lever and music plays again. 

 

Taehyung scoots closer to Seokjin, feeling their shoulders touch. He takes off the blanket around his shoulder and pulls it over Seokjin's back so that they're sharing it. Though he can't see, he raises his head to the sky, imagining the beauty of the moon.

 

"I was scared of losing you." The drumming of his heart is loud in his ears. "At the thought of losing you, I became frustrated at myself, knowing that I can't do anything to protect you if something were to happen," Taehyung admits. 

 

Taehyung focuses on the music, noting how the song is coming to an end. "I don't want to lose you," he says lowly. He feels tears come to his eyes at the reminder that he's lost both of his parents. He can't bear to lose anyone else he cares about.

 

Turning to face Seokjin, Taehyung waits for the music to end before starting, "You're not my caretaker, Seokjin." He imagines Seokjin's handsome, beautiful face staring at him with the moonlight sparkling in his eyes. "You're someone I've never met before. Before you, I only cared about myself and closed myself off to anyone and everyone. Everyone went along with this, except you. You make me want to wake up in the morning and live. Live not just by myself, but with you. You are my one and only, Seokjin." 

 

He thought that after professing his feelings, he would be a jumble of nerves. Yet, he isn't, knowing that every word he said is true and that his feelings are growing stronger and stronger each day. "Seokjin?" Taehyung whispers, wanting him to respond. 

 

"We should go inside," Seokjin says as he stands up. The blanket falls, covering only Taehyung. He hears Seokjin push the terrace door open before it slides close, and Taehyung's heart is left outside in the cold alone. 

 

He's frozen in place as he registers what just happened. Seokjin ignored him. It can't be. Maybe Seokjin heard him wrong or he didn't make his feelings clear. Taehyung jumps to his feet and slides the terrace door open. He enters the hotel room and doesn't waste a moment as he calls out, "Seokjin." 

 

He can't even place where Seokjin is before he hears a door slam. "Seokjin!" Taehyung calls out again as he runs to where he heard the door slam. He doesn't run into Seokjin, but into a wall. Stepping back from the impact, Taehyung feels his head spinning as he presses a hand to his forehead. 

 

He drops his hand and opens his arms out as he feels his way toward the slammed door. He arrives at the bathroom door which is locked, confirming that Seokjin is in there. 

 

"Seokjin, talk to me, please?" he pleads, in pain, as he starts to understand that Seokjin may have just rejected him. Tears line his eyes as he gets no response. "Jin," he calls out desperately. "Please open the door." The door stays shut.

 

Taehyung leans against it. "If you don't reciprocate my feelings, you can just tell me," he says, biting his bottom lip to keep his voice from shaking. 'But please don't leave me,' he thinks to himself. 

 

He continues to plead for Seokjin to open the door, then he continues to plead for Seokjin to talk to him. Finally, after what seems like an hour, he's only calling out Seokjin's name as he sits by the door.