The truth behind the project

4 by 4
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 ______ When Bill mentioned your name, I got very excited. I've been listening to your songs for a while. They are really good.______ Pedro Damian told Byul-YI.

______ That's an honor, Mr. Damian.

______ Just call me Pedro. Is it true that you like Anahi's lyrics?_____ The Mexican smiled.

______ Ah, some of them are very meaningful. I love her voice too. It's a pity she stopped singing.

______ You know...Some of your lyrics made me think of her. I feel that you would get along well. Anyway, why are you leaving so early? Or I am too late?_____ The older man was surprised.

______ Ah, it's my fault. I believe I failed at explaining the project. Ms. Moon thinks it's classic queerbaiting._____ Mr.Smith sounded apologetic.

Pedro Damien saw the singer's reaction and understood that his friend hit the nail on the head.

______ Byul-Yi, give me a chance to explain. The project is very close to Bill's heart. He may be great at gathering resources and investors but the man can't express his feelings.

Sighing, the handsome artist closed the door and got back to her seat.

The Mexican man patted his business associate's back and asked if he would be alright.

Mr. Smith nodded slowly but kept his eyes down.

Hyejin and Yongsun exchanged a puzzled expression while Wheein mumbled that she needed a beer.

Hearing that, the skinny songwriter held her laughter.

The producer and director pulled a chair and sat beside his long-time friend.

Clearing his throat, Pedro spoke:

_____  This project is not about the LGBT community. However, we could say that the trigger to inspire Bill was related to it.

______ I don't think I get it._____ Hyejin frowned her forehead.

Damien held Mr. Smith's hand and said:

______ We want to tell the story of several Asian Americans and Asians in general, who struggle to adapt to this country. Or that dream about having the freedom to follow their own choices but are bullied to keep living like their ancestors.

______ Why though? I mean...One American and one Mexican...______ Wheein asked all of a sudden.

The North American sighed and said after a while:

______ I was married for 17 years to the love of my life. He was Korean. Although I kept convincing myself that he had set himself free from his family's pressure and all the cultural guilty trip, he...

Pedro Damian caressed his friend's back and spoke for him:

______ Our dear friend took his own life two years ago. So the story is inspired by these two wonderful men, who met at the university. But again, the focus is not on their love life. The characters are young women who happen to be lesbians and they are fine with their uality. We want to explore their thoughts and decisions in life. 

The black-haired one looked at Mr. Smith with sympathy and murmured:

_____ I apologize for misjudging you, Sir. I should have listened first.

______ Don't worry. I would probably have your reaction too if I were in your shoes. I just hope you give it a chance. At least read the script, alright?

______ Of course. ______Byul-YI smiled.

______ What about the three of you? Would you give us chance?______ Pedro Damian winked.

Yongsun and Hyejin whispered something to each other and the actress responded in name of the couple after a couple of minutes:

______ Okay. Let's give it a try.

______ I'm in too._____ The girl with the deep dimple declared.

Mr. Smith then said:

______ Alright then. We'd like to ask the four of you to come back in 2 days for a table reading. I'm sending an email with the general plot but I'd rather try some improvisation to check the chemistry in front of a camera and your interpretation of more than one character. Is it good for you?<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter