Wicked Game

Clever like the devil, but twice as pretty.

The day before

Kyungsoo drags his feet through the dark halls of his house. It was already dark outside and he had been locked in his room all day; he didn’t bother turning on the lights then. He didn’t feel like doing so now either. He keeps the phone pressed against his ear as he listens to Jongdae giving him instructions on what information he needs for a few things. Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Sehun had been taking care of the business while he was... recovering.

Neither of them has asked questions or pressured him to go back to work yet, which he appreciates. Despite how pathetic he feels for sitting around crying for people who do not deserve it, they all know he needs to let all of it out before he can move on.

This is the last night.

The last night he will give himself to cry before he takes over his life again. He’ll forget the last six to seven months ever happened and move on with his life.

“What was it you needed again?” Kyungsoo questions as he approaches his home office.

“I texted you a list so you can check it there. I’ll call you once you send everything.” Jongdae says.

“Alright then.” Kyungsoo opens the door to his office. “I…” His voice fades as he turns on the lights. Two figures are standing by the windows. Two very familiar figures that not only have his heart skipping a beat but also squeezing with pain. Kyungsoo’s eyebrows furrow. He immediately goes into self-protection mode. “Please send someone to clean my office, Dae. I have some unwanted visitors.”

Jongdae doesn’t say anything, and the line disconnects. Kyungsoo takes a deep breath when he turns to the two men he would rather not see. Kai and Jongin give him the type of stares that could easily make him weak. He can’t allow that. Protecting himself is his priority now.

“I thought I was clear when I told you I was done.” Kyungsoo walks towards his desk.

“I’ve never been good at listening,” Kai says with a smile that doesn’t reach his eyes. Just then Kyungsoo notices the bags under their eyes, the stubble, the wrinkled clothes. They have indeed seen better days.

“It’s never too late to start.” Kyungsoo opens the first drawer of his desk, pulling out his gun and placing it on top of it. “My patience is running out.”

Jongin takes a step toward him, but his brother stops him.

“We finally figured out what happened,” Kai says. “And I know you’re convinced we tried to screw you over, but I have evidence that will tell you otherwise.”

“You don’t have to trust us even after you see it, but we have a plan,” Jongin says.

Kyungsoo rubs his eyes. He’s too tired for this. “I’m not interested.”

“Wouldn’t it be worth it to know if we’re innocent or not?” Kai then is the one to walk toward him. Apparently not intimidated by the fact that Kyungsoo could shoot him at any time. He sets a yellow folder over the desk. “All we’re asking is for you to see them. You don’t have to trust us… however, we have reasons to believe you could be in danger, too.”

Kyungsoo frowns. His eyes land on the folder in front of him. Could he open himself up to the hope and heartache the folder represents? What if it was just another game? Considering the possibilities, they could easily play him here. However, he’s never seen Kai like this. Something inside of him is urging him to open the damn folder.

“What happens if I think you’re still lying?” Kyungsoo sighs.

“Then you can shoot me… I won’t move.” Kai shrugs. There’s determination in his eyes, despite his expressionless face.

“Kai.” Jongin starts, but Kai raises a hand. His eyes never leave Kyungsoo’s.

“Very well.” Kyungsoo reaches out for the yellow folder. He scans through the pages, finding the damn contract that started all of this. The sleepless nights, the pitiful tears, the broken trust. However, he can’t help but notice it’s quite different from the one he saw initially.

“The one you saw is in there too, so you can compare,” Kai says. “We included the emails with the original terms we discussed and the dates of those as well.”

Kyungsoo rubs his chin as he reads the papers carefully. As he said, all the information is there. Part of his brain wants to say this could also be fake. Now that they got caught, the two would probably do anything to get him to trust them stupidly again, however…

“We think the documents were switched during that strange security breach we had,” Jongin says. “We thought the guy was after us, but now it seems clear that this was their target.”

Kai nods. “We identified the guy as someone who used to work for Lee.” Kai sits at the edge of the desk. “Have you heard about Lee’s territory being left untouched and being managed by someone else?”

A faint memory of Baekhyun mentioning it comes to mind. Kyungsoo nods.

“Jongin saw the person who was doing business with us for the SC Group at the warehouses… after some digging, we could link him back to the person behind this… Choi.” 

Kyungsoo’s head snaps at this information. “What?”

“Yeah, and we have reasons to believe he was behind your kidnapping as well.” Kai runs a hand through his already messy hair.

Kyungsoo looks down at the papers as he considers his options.

“You don’t have to trust us just yet.” Jongin steps in. “All you have to do is show up tomorrow. We’re going to confront him.”

“What if you get nothing out of him?”

Kai chuckles. “We have enough evidence to get information. I have been underestimating him, however, I have the feeling he might get cocky, thinking he won.”

“And once we have all the information, we’ll deal with him accordingly,” Jongin says.

Kyungsoo is silent for a moment. He can feel the sincerity in their words, however, he doesn’t want to feel betrayed again. Would it be worth it?

Could he recover if it wasn’t true?

“Out of all the things I can be, Soo… I’m not a liar, and you know that.” Kai almost whispers. The sound of his nickname in his voice sends a shiver down his spine. Just then, he knew he was going to risk it all.

Again.

“Fine… I’ll decide after tomorrow.”

 

Present day.

Choi laughs, tilting his head to the side. “What are you going to do? Kill me? In this room full of people?” He gestures dramatically at the rest of the associates invited. If he only knew that Kai doesn’t give a about who’s watching.

“I wouldn’t discard the possibility,” Kai smirks.

Kyungsoo steps closer to Choi. “I would usually disagree. However, I don’t appreciate people playing with me.”

Choi hums, leaning closer to Kyungsoo. “It was fun for me, at least. You two think you’re invincible… untouchable. This is only the beginning because I just proved you’re not.”

“I’ll embrace it, and whoever comes will share your fate,” Kai says.

Choi raises an amused eyebrow. “I’m having difficulty understanding how you’re going to kill me in my territory, with my people surrounding you.”

“We will have to find out, don’t you think?” Kai shrugs. “It’s a shame though. I would’ve had so much fun playing with you.”

Choi chuckles. “I could say the same.”

Kai nods. He glances over his shoulder at Minseok before turning back to Choi. “Greet Lee for me, would you?”

Minseok gives a signal, making Chanyeol and the men standing at the back of the room pull out their guns. Some of the associates respond, pulling their own, and others simply glance around, confused. Kai smiles at Choi.

“Why don’t you do that yourself?” Choi says, taking a step back. They hear heavy footsteps as people break into the already full room. Guns in hand. He laughs loudly, probably thinking that he has the upper hand.

Minseok frowns. “Kim.”

“We’re not leaving until he’s dead,” Kai says, his smile falls as traces of that anger he had before comes back, rising to the surface. He’s not giving him another chance. Choi smiles, making Kai's skin crawl. 

“Kyungsoo!”

A gunshot echoes around them. Kai turns around in time to see Jongin pushing Kyungsoo back, he pulls out his gun without hesitation and shoots three times. Kai follows Jongin’s aim, finding a man falling to the ground. Dark red pools around him almost instantly.

A sniper.

One that actively targeted Kyungsoo. Even in this room full of people, even when Kai is a direct threat to Choi, they still go after Kyungsoo. Choi looks even more amused if possible as if hitting his target was some kind of game. He also looks expectant... waiting to see how this information would affect Kai.

This is all just a twisted game for him.

Something inside Kai’s brain snaps.

“You hurt him and I swear...” Kai’s lips twitch into a grimace. His eyes widen as he stares at a smiley Choi. “Didn’t you say you were going to get me out of the way first? Why won’t you target me instead?”

Choi laughs. “Oh, but dear, why rush things? Death will fall upon all of you soon.”

Kai launches forward, wrapping both of his hands around Choi’s neck, squeezing. Hoping it would break. He can hear Choi’s people approaching. He knows they’re aiming at him. “You touch a single hair out of his head and I ing promise…”

Choi smiles, even when he’s gasping for air. “Or what?” his voice is forced.

“Kim,” Minseok warns.

He ignores him. “I’ll hand deliver you to the devil.”

Kai hears a loud thud behind him and his heart skips a beat, assuming the worst. He lets go of Choi, turning once again, he desperately looks for Kyungsoo. His chest paralyzes with pure fear at the possibilities. If they hurt Kyungsoo again, he won't respond for his actions any longer. The relief he feels when he sees Kyungsoo doesn't last very long when he finds him crouching next to Jongin.

He doesn’t understand what is happening at first, however, it doesn’t take long for him to see the blood pooling on the floor.

Kyungsoo frantically rips Jongin’s shirt, adding pressure to the wound. “! We have to get him out of here. Look at me Jongin.”

“Kai.” Minseok’s urgent voice reaches him again.

Wouldn’t it be nice to say Kai really paid attention? That he listened for once and backed down. That he processed the words as the warning they were. In reality, his ears are buzzing, his lungs let go of the last few bits of air he has. One second he’s staring at his bleeding brother on the ground and the next one Choi is under him. His trembling hands reach the collar of his shirt, pulling him merely inches away from his face.

His anger just increases when Choi laughs.

The bastard has the audacity to laugh in his face. As if he won something.

Kai knows there are several guns pointed at his head, probably waiting for a signal or for Choi to be out of range. He couldn’t give a even if he tried. “Do you think that’s funny?”

“Oh, very,” Choi says in between laughs. “Hilarious even.”

“I hope it’s the same when I rearrange your face. You’ll be begging me for death when I’m done with you. You’ll beg because death will be your only way out.” He can barely register anything else. The sound of the door busting open as more people rush inside. Baekhyun's voice calls for his boss, Minseok’s frantic voice, the sound of gunshots and people dropping like flies.

Kai strikes him once; his vision becomes blurry when he does it again and again. Letting just a fraction of his anger out on every blow. Choi doesn’t do anything to stop him. He takes every single punch with a smug grin on his face. The more he smiles, the more Kai tries to erase it. Warmth rolls down his cheeks and that bothers him more.

Then, Choi slips from his hands and backs away.

Or rather, is he the one being pulled back?

Minseok is talking in his ear, his arms pulling him back. Why? He wants to be the one to kill him. How ing dare he hurt his brother or Kyungsoo?

“Minseok, let me go.” He growls. Kai can see Choi laughing as several men approach him. He can hear more gunshots being fired. People are hiding under the table and others are taking cover. He sees Baekhyun and Jongdae shooting, taking cover behind the open doors as Sehun rushes towards his boss. “Minseok, let me go!” He yells now.

“Kim, get yourself-”

“Get the off me! I’m going to kill that ing bastard!” His throat hurts as the words come out. “I’ll ship his ing remains back to his father. How ing dare you touch my family!”

“Kai.”

He keeps struggling against Minseok’s grip. Kai can only watch as Choi is escorted out of the place. The faint sound of sirens in the distance reaches him. The bastard is still laughing. He knows it.

Kai keeps screaming and struggling. Sweat dripping from his chin, more tears blocking his vision.

“I swear Kim Minseok if you don’t let me go right now!” Kai yells. “I’m going to kill him, painfully and slowly. He tried to kill Kyungsoo, he tried to-”

Kyungsoo comes into view, holding Kai’s face. “Kai! Listen to me. Look at me.”

He stops moving, the feeling of Kyungsoo’s warm hands manages to do that much. He eventually looks at him, but his eyes aren’t focused. He’s not seeing past his rage.

“Kai, look at me!” Kyungsoo demands making the other snap out of his trance. “We need to get Jongin out of here. He needs a doctor. We’ll figure it out later, okay? We’ll get him, I promise.” He sighs. “Right now, we need to get Jongin to safety.”

Kai takes in sharp breaths as he tries to lower the burning inside his chest. More tears run down his cheeks and Kyungsoo wipes them away gently. Kai scans the room and Choi is nowhere to be found. All he wants to do is to break him into so many pieces they’ll need a manual to put him back together. He’ll enjoy that more than he’s willing to admit to himself right now. Regardless of this, he nods. He sees Jongin on the floor with Sehun kneeling next to him, probably adding pressure to the wound so he doesn’t bleed out.

“Okay.” That is all he can say.

The trip to Yixing’s practice is a blur for Kai. He keeps replaying the scene over and over in his head. Each time he has to stop himself from jumping off his seat and hunting Choi down. His chest is about to explode. Minseok can probably tell because he gets him a cold towel the moment they get there and presses it against Kai’s forehead.

Kyungsoo is sitting across from him. He’s been quiet the entire time, staring at the floor as they wait.

The minutes go by painfully slow. The mere thought of losing his brother is enough to make Kai's blood boil. He pushes those thoughts away because he knows it won't happen. Not even Choi can take down Kim Jongin.

Otherwise, he better crawl through the cracks of the earth, where Kai can't find him.

Finally, Yixing comes out about thirty minutes later. Both Kai and Kyungsoo bounce out of their seats when they see him.

Yixing smiles. “He’ll be fine. The bullet didn’t touch anything too important luckily. He lost some blood, but with proper care, he should be fine.”

Kai and Kyungsoo let out a sigh in unison.

“Thank you, Yixing,” Kyungsoo pats the man’s arm. “We panicked for a second.”

Yixing nods. “Understandable. I gave him some pain medication, and he’s asleep right now, but you can go in whenever you want.”

With that being said, Yixing walks away with Minseok following him to ask a few questions. Kyungsoo and Kai stand there, both basking in the slight feeling of relief. Even if it is for just a moment.

“He’s so stupid.” Kyungsoo then says. “He got hit trying to get me out of the way.”

Kai takes a deep breath, brushing his hair back. “I can’t say I wouldn’t have done the same.”

Silence falls between them again. They stand there kind of awkwardly.

“I’m sorry… I should’ve known it was a setup from the beginning.” Kyungsoo sighs.

“How were you supposed to know? He played his cards well so you would believe it.” Kai shrugs. “Even I couldn’t tell the difference between the fake and original signatures.”

“Still… I feel stupid now.”

Kai reaches out to hold his hand. “Don’t. You had no way of knowing it was fake. It was in my office, of all places.” He lets out a dry laugh. “Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I want to break his neck in several pieces.”

Kyungsoo squeezes his hand. “Leave it to me. I’ll bring him back for you.”

Kai frowns. “There’s no way I’m letting you go after him alone.”

“Your brother needs you here,” Kyungsoo shakes his head. “I promise I’ll bring him, and we’ll get our revenge together.”

“But-”

“You’ve done enough.” Kyungsoo runs his fingers through Kai’s hair. “I’m sure it was hard. Just get some rest. I’ll take it from here.”

Kai says nothing for a moment, trying to see anything in Kyungsoo’s eyes that could be concerning. However, all he finds is anger and determination. He rests his forehead on Kyungsoo’s shoulder and takes a deep breath. It’s been a while since he’s been able to touch him like this.

“Are you sure?”

“Of course. We’re a team, after all, right?” Kyungsoo smiles, rubbing Kai’s back.

Kai chuckles. “Right.”

Just the way it should always be.

 

 

....

...

..

.

Twitter: VanillaNini1