Hitched

Lifetimes & Universes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I always thought that this is a messy chapter but I think, the last part was messier than this. :)) 

 

Throughout the years, alternate realities had always been a source of controversy. Since time immemorial, scientists had been studying the existence of a mirror world. The possibility of anything happening on Earth might have been happening in another dimension. That in another universe, there would be another you; a different or nearly the same person in any aspect.

 

One time, the world revolved around the sun, and perhaps on another plane it would be otherwise. But could a similar, yet different, being exist in another cosmos the same year at the same time and at the same place with a completely different destiny?

 

“In the parallel universe, there might be another secretary Kim Sunggyu and another CEO Nam Woohyun who are not cowards and are brave enough to stand up for their feelings. Love will never break them apart, and they will live the happiest day of their lives with one another. They will face challenges but they will get through it."

 

 

Year 1995

Busan, South Korea

 

 

Nam Woohyun, 27 years old CEO of NH Advertising and Consulting Company. His wealth was inherited, he owned multiple properties, he changed his car every year, and he was constantly seen at high-end functions. His life was picture-perfect. Many were envious of his social status. He was young, handsome and single. However, his perfect life that could give him anything in a snap of his fingers couldn't give him what his heart wants. No amount of money could hand him the man he was secretly in love with on a silver platter.

 

 

Two hours after the office hours ended, Woohyun was still sitting in his office chair, working on a client contract. He was the only one left on his office floor. His secretary had left as soon as the clock struck 5:00pm. Other employees also rushed home to avoid being stuck in the horrendous traffic and crammed into a very crowded train station. Woohyun was used to it. For five years that the company was under his management, working beyond the mandatory working hours wasn't new to him. One way or another, his work took his mind off something that had been bothering him for the longest time.

 

 

 

It started way back when it was still his father who was handling their company. A year before the company was given to him, he came directly from the university as per his father's instruction.

 

At 21 years old, even before he graduated from college, his training and lectures about company management started. His father showed no mercy in honing him as the next Chief Executive Officer of their business. His father was strict and a very proud man; merciless in a way. His family were a bunch of obnoxious elite people whose hobby was to manipulate their children and groom them into the same person as they are: egotistical, conceited, self-absorbed and cruel. He was glad he grew up differently from them. Being raised by a nanny made him unique from any other members of his family.

 

Anyhow, that was when he met him. He met the most stunning person he had ever seen. No one could compare even the most beautiful woman his university once hailed. He looked like an angel shining brightly in a white long sleeved, button down shirt with blue stripes accents and white jeans. Those monolid eyes that disappeared when he smiled were beautiful. His caramel-colored hair complemented his white and flawless skin. The man was smoking hot and he made his heart beat fast for the very first time.

 

He thought it was just a passing fancy, but the moment he started working as CEO after he graduated college, he began to like him too much. Being together most of the time didn't help to mellow down the thumping of his heart. Suddenly, he woke up to find the man had already consumed his entire being. Kim Sunggyu, his executive secretary, captured his heart effortlessly. However, the man was taken. That was the information he heard from one of his employees.

 

His heart sank and ached knowing that he wouldn't have any chances with him. The happy man who brightened up most of his days appeared content with his life. Often times, he saw how Sunggyu's eyes were sparkling just because of a call which usually comes during lunch breaks. No, he wouldn't normally eavesdrop. He just saw and heard the call frequently everytime he walked out of his office to eat out.

 

He had been loving Kim Sunggyu silently since he was 21 years old; from the moment he laid his eyes on him. And after six long ing years, there he was, still loving him more. Kim Sunggyu's heart was the one thing he couldn't have no matter how rich he was. His heart wasn't for him to keep.

 

Woohyun tried to wake himself up from his musings about how he was hopelessly in love with his secretary. He had to finish the contract before he could return home to rest and wallow in self-pity because of his pathetic non-existent lovelife.

 

 

One night when Woohyun had been having a hard time falling asleep, he thought he needed a drink. Rummaging through his walk-in closet for clothes, he found black ripped skinny jeans and a white plain tee which he felt would be decent enough to wear in a bar and wouldn't attract any attention. He wore a short-sleeve plaid shirt on top, leaving it ed. When he was happy with his look, he took his keys and drove away to his friend's bar.

 

"Hey Woohyun, why are you here so late? It's already 11:00 and you have work tomorrow." The bar owner, Hoya, asked.

 

"Couldn't sleep."

 

"Relationship problem?" He chuckled without responding.

 

Relationship problem. The only problem he never had for a very long time. It wasn't that he couldn't find someone to have it with. In fact, he knew how many people in his company were looking at him dreamily. How did he know? Of course, because of his ever-loyal secretary.

 

He and Sunggyu had become closer since his training days. It was possible that, that was the reason he drowned in his feelings for him and couldn't let them go. Anyway, Sunggyu was a tattletale when it came to what was happening inside the company. All the gossips that caught his ear, he would tell it to him. He also knew who among them were talking behind his back. Most of the time, Sunggyu revealed office secrets to him in a very graphic manner. Sometimes, he would act out the conversation he heard while he was watching and listening in amusement.

 

No one knew that he, the boss, knew everything. Whatever stories and tittle-tattles that came from Sunggyu's mouth, he also kept it a secret. He didn't want to cause any trouble to his very friendly and sociable assistant. Everybody in the office loved Sunggyu. However, if they knew that the secretary was spilling all the tiniest details of everyday office lives of the employees, it might not end well.

 

He often believed that his relationship with Sunggyu spanned beyond employee-employer and they were more like best friends. They could talk about anything whenever they weren't swamped with work. They could talk about everything: family, friends, job, school life. Anything but his secretary's personal relationship. He never asked him once about it. Why would he get a rock that he would use to hit and hurt himself? Thus, he stayed away from that topic and Sunggyu on the other hand, never talked about how colorful his lovelife was.

 

 

 

Despite only having finished his first bottle of beer, he thought that he was already hallucinating. Across the bar area, on the couch section, he thought he saw Sunggyu sitting with a bunch of people that he had no idea who. However, when he looked again, there was no Sunggyu to be found. He brushed it off because maybe his beer plus thinking of his secretary was just making him crazy.

 

Woohyun was about to ask the bartender for another bottle when he felt someone sitting on the stool beside him.

 

"Hey boss, rough night?"

 

He looked on his right side and there his hallucination appeared again. Wearing plain white V-neck shirts, leather vests, black tattered jeans, and dress boots, his talkative secretary was edgy and dashing.

 

He couldn't understand why his hallucination was talking to him. As he started to question if he was in fact his secretary, he thought he had gone insane.

 

"Are you kidding me, Mr. Nam, or did you get drunk with a bottle of beer? Who else could I be?" Woohyun saw the famous eye-roll and he thought his hallucination was as sassy as Sunggyu.

 

"You looked like my secretary with that eye-roll." He commented.

 

In a matter of seconds, he felt pain on his shin. He looked again at the man beside him only to realize he wasn't seeing things or in this case a person who didn't exist. Sunggyu was really beside him, staring at him in disbelief.

 

"You are real? I thought I was seeing things. Sorry."

 

How would he sleep? He was speaking to the person who was constantly keeping him awake, in the bar where he used to drink to help him sleep. So much for being lucky.

 

Because his secretary was a chatty person, Woohyun forgot that he was about to order another beer. However, the music inside the bar was too loud for him to hear whatever Sunggyu was saying. All he could see was his moving kissable red lips that was making it harder to concentrate on whatever he was listening to. Before he realized what was happening, his older assistant had taken him outside the bar.

 

"Boss, you should leave. You would be having a hangover tomorrow and we have too much work."

 

Even outside the company, the ever-responsible Kim Sunggyu was ordering him. He was the only one who could do that. While his other subordinates were scared of his serious and cold demeanor, his overconfident secretary never showed any fear in front of him. He nagged and chastised him too many times and it felt like he was more scared of Sunggyu than the other way around.

 

"Sunggyu-ssi, why do you always order me around? I am your boss." He puckered his lips while he earned a flick on his forehead.

 

"Mr. Nam, if I don't order you, you would end up astray. So, listen to me ok?"

 

Woohyun sneered. "You're the only one who could do this to me." He muttered softly under his teeth.

 

"Of course, I'm the great Kim Sunggyu. Now, go." Why did he forget that his secretary could hear even the whisper of his neighbors?

 

The great Kim Sunggyu shoved him into his car and never left the parking lot without watching him drive away.

 

He wasn't weak because of his diva secretary. Inside the company premises, he was the one ordering him around most of the times. However, there were many times when it was just the two of them, they were more like in a hyung-dongsaeng situation.

 

The way Sunggyu looked after him, the way he anticipated the things he needed from documents to a piece of pain pill, the way he scolded him for forgetting to sign some documents and other things that he was doing for him, all were reminiscent of how his older brother was treating him when they were younger.

 

Seeing Sunggyu's way of caring made him give up the hope that he would one day acknowledge him as a man and not as a younger brother. He often thought that Sunggyu just saw a younger sibling in him. Something that made his heart ache the first time he noticed it. But eventually, he got used to that treatment.

 

Other employees never knew that their so-called arrogant and cold CEO was being treated like a toddler by his own secretary. They hid their friendly relationship with others so as not to give the impression that he could be disrespected easily. He wasn't against being friendly but he had to set some boundaries. Hence, he never faltered on how he presented himself to his employees. Only the great Kim Sunggyu could disrespect him and he was letting him. Whether it was because of his feelings or not, he wouldn't want to know. If that was the only relationship he could have with his secretary he could live with it.

 

 

Two months later, something changed with Sunggyu and Woohyun easily noticed it. The twinkling eyes that he often saw the past few months were beginning to lose their shine. Lunch breaks that used to be spent talking on the phone became merely a lunch break where eating was the main objective. The end of office hours wasn't the end because going home early had been forgotten and working beyond 5:00pm was becoming a norm.

 

In the period of time he knew his secretary, he knew when he was having a bad day. He knew when he was sad, mad, happy and he knew when he was lying about something. Yet, he couldn't ask. Sunggyu's personal life had always been a no-go topic. It was personal for some reasons and he was very curious to know.

 

On the other hand, his parents were starting to set him up for blind dates. The idea of him having to get married to give his parents a successor was something he loathed. He wanted to be the one to choose who he would marry. He didn't want to be like his older brother who was forced to be with someone he didn't even like. The only solution he could get out of being forced to date was to get into a relationship on his own, something that his brother never did.

 

Social status mattered to his parents. And all they were after was a biological grandchild who they could influence and make them live in a pretentious privileged environment.

 

They knew he was gay and they let him be as long as he would marry a woman in the future. According to them, he could get married to a man. However, the man who would be his husband should be willing to allow him to bear children with another woman. Surrogacy was not an option, neither was adoption. Harsh wasn’t it? Who in the right mind would be willing if it meant that his parents would choose a woman who could get pregnant and he had to have with her while he had a husband at his side? It was sickening. It was a very preposterous idea. His parents want an heir to the company and they would make it happen even if that meant sacrificing his happiness.

 

He knew that was coming. Therefore, he had to find someone before he reached 30 years old. He could refuse the blind dates for now but that didn't mean that he could stay away from it forever. The thought of it was making his headache worse. He found someone who he would marry on a whim but he knew it wouldn't happen. Even if there was a possibility for it, the thought of hurting him because of his parents' condition made him want to let go of his feelings even more.

 

 

 

His train of thoughts were cut-off when a bread, glass of water and a pain reliever were handed to him by Sunggyu.

 

"Eat the bread before you drink the medicine. Looked like your head would be exploding anytime soon."

 

"How did you know?" He started eating.

 

"I'm Kim Sunggyu and I know everything."

 

That made him laugh. There was no doubt he knew everything, even the blind dates he was set-up for in the past few days. How could he not? His parents assigned him the task of making a reservation for his date.

 

"Tell me how could I get out with it."

 

"You know your parents Woohyun. There was no way you could save yourself unless you brought someone who could give you a child."

 

Sunggyu did not know there was a condition when he brought a man instead of a woman. It was something he was too ashamed to tell the older man.

 

"I'd rather be thrown out without anything than to bear a child with any women, let alone marry one." Sunggyu ruffled his hair smiling before leaving his office.

 

He was left alone again with nothing to do but think of his situation and be frustrated by it. He wanted to converse more with his secretary but he knew he wasn't in the mood to talk. It was evident on Sunggyu's face. The sour mood and the sadness mixed with pain never went unnoticed to him.

 

Woohyun checked the time and realized he would have to sit in his boring office for another hour. He could go home early however, he knew Sunggyu would stay longer than he was supposed to even though he wasn't around. The older had a problem and if staying beyond office hours would help him, he would gladly help him in his own way.

 

 

After two weeks, Woohyun noticed something odd was happening with his secretary. He often saw him spacing when he didn't have any work to do. It was strange that he was even asking him to give him any menial tasks just to pass the time.

 

In addition, there were times when he saw him popping pain reliever every four hours. He observed the way he was moving was guarded and it looked like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter