-fin-

A different type of love

Soyeon had known her girlfriend was polyamorous. Yuqi had told her not long after they got together. She remembered the nervous look on the younger womans face. "Soyeonnie I need to tell you something..." Soyeon had accepted it. How could she not she was utterly in love with this woman. Two years had passed since then and Yuqi had not found anyone else who could keep her attention like Soyeon could. She'd gone on a few dates and would always come home looking unimpressed and ready to fall back into Soyeons waiting arms. "She was so boringgg."

 

It was a routine that Soyeon was used to. She was comfortable with it. One day things changed. Yuqi walked through the front door with a smile on her face. Soyeon sat up from the couch where she was laying watching one piece. "Did we get a winner?" Yuqi smiled brightly. "She was super sweet and funny. And she's totally understanding of the poly thing as well. She has two girlfriends." Soyeon nodded. "So she's hosting the dinner parties is what you're saying?" Soyeon joked. Yuqi rolled her eyes smiling as she laid across Soyeons lap. "Well I told her about you and she said she's interested in meeting you. One of her girlfriends is monogamous too. But obviously supportive as well. She wants everyone to meet at hers and Miyeons place. What do you think?"  

 

Of course she agreed she could never say no to Yuqi. So here she is standing behind her girlfriend her one and only tightly grasping her hand as her nerves began to get to her. Yuqi turned to her and pulled her into a hug whispering to her. "Soyeonnie deep breath. I won't leave you alone for a single second." Yuqi laid gentle kisses against the older womans temple and cheek as she moved her hand just under her shirt letting her nails glide lightly against her skin. This was something she knew would always calm Soyeon down. No matter how much Soyeons social anxiety could get to her Yuqi was always able to pull her back down to earth. To her. 

 

The front door opened and Soyeon saw a tall woman smiling at them. She hid her face in Yuqi's shoulder embarrassed. Yuqi turned them still holding Soyeon close. "Minnie can we borrow your bathroom for a minute? Then we can come out and introduce ourselves." Minnie nodded understandingly and led them to it. 

 

After a few moments Yuqi was able to calm Soyeon down completely. She smiled at her lovingly. "Are you ready?" She fixed the girls hair that had been a little tousled. Soyeon nodded slowly. "I should meet them all of them..." Four people at once was a lot of people to meet. "If you feel like it's to much you know the signal." Yuqi reminded her. When Yuqi and Soyeon first met was Soyeons first day at a new school. She was struggling with all the new people and Yuqi quickly took notice. They became friends quickly and developed a system. If Soyeon ever felt anxious she could Link their pinkies and Yuqi would try to shift attention away from her. next was the ring finger. Once linked Yuqi would pull her close into a protective hug. Middle finger meant that Soyeon needed to go right then. The pointer finger never happened. But Yuqi knew if it ever did it meant a trip to the hospital most likely. She was glad they very rarely got past the ring finger. 

 

Once Soyeon was calm enough they left the bathroom to go twords the living room. Yuqi saw Minnie whispering to a worried looking Miyeon and smiled. She knew that Minnie was likely explaining the situation. Yuqi pulled Soyeon close kissing her forehead. "Sorry Soyeon told me not to drink so much before we got in the car." Yuqi dismissed even though everyone knew the real reason. Minnie laughed softly. "I guess this is something I'll have to learn huh? Once we get more acquainted I'm sure you'll tell me everything I need to know right?" Minnie asked Soyeon who laughed softly feeling a little more at ease. "She snores and when she has nightmares she hits." Yuqi pouted crossing her arms. "It was one time. I said I was sorry so many times." 

 

Miyeon laughed softly. "Minnie clings like a koala. Just as cuddly in her sleep as she is awake." Minnie pouted. "Why are you saying it like it's a bad thing? you don't like my cuddles?" Miyeon smiled running her finger under the taller girls chin. "It's only bad when I have to get up and it's like wrestling an alligator to get free." She assured her. Soyeon was starting to feel more at ease. Miyeon gently nudged Minnie. "Oh yeah! So sorry. I am Minnie and this lovely lady is my girlfriend Miyeon. She's monogamous her only rule is I sleep at home at least four nights a week. She won't admit it but it's cause she misses me to much and can't sleep without me." She teases the older woman. "Now you'll be sleeping on the couch." 

 

Soyeon looked over at Yuqi who had a huge smile on her face. "I can't wait to get to know you better Miyeon unnie! Minnie has told me a lot about you. And her other girlfriend Shuhua? She couldn't make it?" Minnie took one of Yuqi's hands and one of Miyeon's looking at them smiling. "Oh she's on her way she just had to wait for Soojin to get home." Soyeon quietly listened. Everyone seemed so nice so far. 

 

There was a knocking on the door and Miyeon went to grab it. Minnie smiled at Soyeon. "I really hope we can be good friends. Yuqi told me this is y'all's first time? I just want to make sure you're comfortable as well. I know Miyeon struggled a bit at first. I want you to know you can talk to her and I about anything." Yuqi squeezed Soyeons hand encouragingly. Soyeon nodded smiling a bit. "Thank you." 

 

A loud voice could be heard. "Minnieeeee" The tallest woman was unexpectedly tackled falling to the ground. "Shu cutie I need more warning next time." Soyeon widened her eyes hiding a bit behind Yuqi. Shuhua ignored Minnie and turned to the newcomers. She looked at Yuqi and began to speak in Mandarin. "Are you my new friend who speaks the same language as me?" Yuqi laughed and nodded replying to her in Mandarin of course. "I am. I'm Yuqi this is Soyeon my girlfriend." She felt a pinky slip around hers and she changed the subject. "I heard you were bringing your girlfriend? Soojin?" A beautiful woman with long black hair and bright red lipstick appeared around the corner with Miyeon. "That would be me. Hello sorry we're late." She wiped a bit of leftover lipstick from Shuhuas chin. Minnie smirked knowingly. "Good to see you again Soo." Soojin smiled at her. "Thanks for having us over I would've brought something but work was swamped. Next time we host." 

 

Minnie nodded and gestured to Yuqi. "This is Yuqi the newest edition to our little polycule. And her girlfriend Soyeon. Hiding behind her." Soyeon didn't like the attention but she was trying to be polite. She shifted to beside Yuqi and bowed politely. "Sorry." Soojin bowed back. "I'm not good with new people either. And Shuhua well we love her but she's a lot." Shuhua pouted. "I'm a ray of sunshine." Minnie laughed. "Yes very intense." Shuhua grumbled in Mandarin causing Yuqi to laugh. "What did she say?" Shuhua looked at Yuqi panicked but Yuqi did the lock and throw away the key gesture. "I'll never tell." Minnie pouted. "I really need to learn Mandarin now that I've got two of you cursing me with it-" Soojin wrapped her arm around Shuhuas waist and whispered something to her. Shuhuas eyes widened. "I just called her a meanie pants I didn't say anything bad! Yuqi back me up on this." Yuqi laughed and nodded. 

 

Soon they were all sitting around the table as Minnie served the food. "Here for my babies and their lovely girlfriends. Thank you for joining us tonight. Welcome to our small little family. Now Soyeon you're just as welcome here as everyone else. We hope to become friends with you like we have with Soojin." Soojin smiled teasingly. "I don't know if I'd say we're friends." Minnie faked hurt. "Even after I shared my cheesecake recipe?" Everyone laughed. 

 

Soyeon was begining to feel comfortable around everyone but she still didn't want to much attention on herself. "Thank you for having us." Yuqi held her hand giving her an encouraging smile. "So Soojin what's got you so busy at work?" Soojin hummed taking a sip of her wine. "Well we were practicing a new move set and one of my students had an unfortunate fall. I had to take her to the nurse. She'll be fine hopefully." Shuhua looked at Soojin with hearts in her eyes. "My caring Jagi." Yuqi looked intrigued. "Oh Soojin I didn't know you are a dance teacher. You know what's interesting Soyeon is actually a musician she writes all kinds of music and sells it to companies." Soyeon blushed looking down a bit. "Uhh yeah I've had a little bit of composers block recently but... Well I'll figure it out I always do. Just have to find my inspiration." Yuqi pouted playfully. "I used to be her inspiration." Soyeon looked at her making a face. "I can only write so many songs about you you know. I've covered almost everything." She had even written a song about them together. "Is there any we would know?" Shuhua asked out of curiosity. "Probably no-" Yuqi cut her off as she sang a bit of one. "Oh my god. She took me to the skyyy." Soyeon blushed even more hiding her face. "Whoa I love that song! Soyeon you're a genius! And that's about... Oh." Soyeon linked her pinky and ring finger with Yuqi's her shyness taking over. 

 

The Chinese girl already knowing the drill scooted her seat closer to Soyeons wrapping her arm around her. She whispered to her. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have been bragging." Soyeon shook her head as she leaned into the girls shoulder. "I-it's not your fault it's my stupid anxiety." Yuqi pouted and kissed her forehead. "Did you want to go to the bathroom again? We can." Soyeon looked at Yuqi. "I'll go you should stay and spend time with them. I'll be fine." Yuqi held her hand a worried look on her face. "Hey So-" Soyeon shook her head. "I'll be back soon I promise." Yuqi just nodded and watched as Soyeon went to the other room. 

 

"Is she okay?" Minnie asked what everyone was thinking. Yuqi nodded. "She will be. She's got bad social anxiety from childhood trauma and it's just hard for her sometimes with new people." She explained for Soojin and Shuhua who didn't know. "You should go help her we understand." Minnie took Yuqi's hand as she said that. "She said I should stay here... I'm sorry I just can't help but worry." Minnie smiled at her. "Yuqi go. We will wait to have dessert I promise." 

 

Yuqi nodded and went to the bathroom knocking lightly. On the other side of the door Soyeon could be heard sniffling. "It's me can I come in?" Soyeon unlocked the door quietly letting her in. "I told you to stay and have fun." She mumbled as she hugged the Chinese girl tightly. "You know I'm not good at listening." She gently ran her fingers through the shorter girls hair. "Wanna tell me what's wrong? I don't think it's just the attention." Soyeon clutched her shirt a bit tighter. It never ceased to amaze her how well Yuqi knew her. "I feel like I'm gonna ruin it for you..." Yuqi's brows furrowed and she pulled back just a little to look at Soyeon. "Ruin what?" Soyeon wiped her eyes. "This. Minnie and everyone else is so nice and accepting and... I can't even hold a conversation without being nervous. They're gonna think I'm to much to have to deal with and not want me around and you'll get upset and it will be my fault..." 

 

Yuqi held her close again. "Hey stop talking like that okay? First of all they're not like that. Miyeon is literally a therapist. They're not gonna banish you just cause you've got anxiety." Yuqi gently wiped her eyes for her. "And second. If someone I date has that attitude about you or later about Minnie if I decide to date a third woman then they've already ruined it. It would not be your fault. Understood?" Soyeon nodded and took a deep breath. "I love you." She whispered to Yuqi. "I love you too. Now let me help you get the smudged makeup out from under your eyes." She took a bit of toilet paper and got it wet carefully wiping away the streaking. "There perfect" She held her chin leaning in and kissing her. After a moment she pulled away and smiled. "I heard there's gonna be dessert are you hungry still?" She nodded. "Very Minnie is a good cook too." Yuqi chuckled. "Much better than us maybe this is one of the perks of poly someone has to be good at cooking right?" She joked making Soyeon laugh before she unlocked the door and led the way back holding her hand. 

 

They got back to the table and were greeted with smiles. "Ah welcome back we were just talking about our first date." Minnie looked at Yuqi mischievously. "You didn't-" She narrowed her eyes. Shuhua looked at Yuqi. "What did the sweater look like? Apparently Minnie thought you were so cute she'd die." Miyeon nodded. "I wanna know too." Minnie whined. "Are you three plotting my death in front of me?" Soyeon couldn't help but chuckle. "I know exactly which sweater it is and I have pictures cause yeah Yuqi looks pretty cute in it." She pulled out her phone and showed a picture of Yuqi in an entirely to big sweater that could be a dress on her. See and that face she was making didn't help she's just so cute." Everyone at the table looked as Yuqi pouted blushing. "I'm not cute I'm cool." Soyeon leaned back kissing her cheek. "You're the cutest." 

 

Once dinner was over they got ready to leave. Soyeon was feeling much more confident about being apart of the group. "Thank you all for having us and thank you for being patient with me." Soyeon bowed to Minnie and Miyeon. "Oh come on we're friends now right? That means no bowing." Minnie pulled the small woman into a hug. Yuqi secretly snapped a photo. The height difference between her two girlfriends making it even more amusing. Once let go Soyeon looked at Yuqi. "Okay have a good night don't accidentally hit Minnie and remember to be home by noon tomorrow we've got plans. Also I love you remember that too" Soyeon gave Yuqi a soft kiss. This was the first time they'd been apart since they'd moved in together three years ago. "Minnie unnie please take good care of our girl." She waved as she left alone. 

 

Soyeon got in their car with a sigh. She held the steering wheel and nodded. "I can't wait to stay up all night watching one piece."