ɪɪ. ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪᴀɴᴄÉ

ʟᴏᴠᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴛᴀʟ ʀᴇᴀʟᴍ
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(a/n: This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to real people or events is purely coincidental. All characters, places, and incidents are either imaginary or used fictitiously.)

 

---

"Well, it's about time we met properly, Ruby Jane." Yoona reaches her right arm, her gaze fixed on the other person, who is confused by what is going on, but they clasp hands. "You'll be seeing a lot more of me from now on."


Jennie looked at her with a frown on her face but shook her head. Her gaze couldn't be drawn away from the woman in front of her, who was blissfully eating her meal.

 

The lunch went well, and Yoona had not anticipated having lunch with a mortal, a human creature. Jennie seemed normal, decent, and feminine. She also couldn't ignore the fact that Jennie occasionally stole glances at her. Is it possible that I have something on my face, or am I attractive enough for her to look at? In any case, it's probably the latter.

 

"I should walk you back," Yoona stated as they left the restaurant after Jennie complimented the employees for their excellent service.


"You don't have to," Jennie replied, looking around and noticing people passing by who were recording them. "It's only a minute walk."

 

"I insist," Yoona said softly, "plus, you're good company," she added, noting that people were watching them.


Jennie instinctively moved closer to Yoona because she was becoming uneasy as people approached them. Yoona, on the other hand, was confused about why they were attracting so much attention.


"Say," she said, looking down at Jennie, who seemed to be attempting to hide herself from the camera's flash directed straight at her face. She drew Jennie towards her side, wrapping her arm around her shoulder, while her right hand shielded the latter's face, particularly her cat eyes. "Wow, they must think I'm famous because they're filming me right now."

 

Jennie was so absorbed in the action that she didn't hear what Yoona had said. She assumed she'd grow accustomed to paparazzi hanging around in public. This is not the first time the idol has acted anxious and terrified in front of such a large crowd. She is anxious and feels uneasy in the presence of the crowd and the press. She wonders if she'll ever get used to it without her members nearby.


"JENNIE!" yelled and screamed everyone in the area.


Yoona furrowed her brows, relieved to be free of the crowds who had surrounded her earlier. That was a large number of people. She joined the latter in the elevator, making sure she returned back safely.

 

"You shouldn't have accompanied me back," the idol frowned, clearly embarrassed by the earlier scene which Yoona didn't understand.


"But I want to, is that wrong?" Yoona asked, tilting her head, puzzled by why the latter refuses to associate herself with her.


Every time I got close to her, she took a step back. Is it because she already has someone and believes I'm making a move on her? No, that is not the case. If she had someone, I would not have been brought here to the mortal world.


"You despise people's attention on you, and you'll go to any length to maintain your public image. I'm not sure why you still insist on taking me back."

 

"I'm still confused, Jennie. Is it really that horrible for me to make sure you get back safely?"

 

The idol's arms were crossed, and she let out a sigh of defeat. Yoona noticed her distress immediately.

 

"You saw how many people were filming us, and how quickly it was shared on social media. In other words, they will create a controversy around us."

 

Yoona laughed, earning a glare from the idol. She looked away briefly, cleared , and then met the idol's gaze again. "Why would they make a controversy out of us? They already know I'm an investor in your company. Wouldn't it be positive news to show investors interacting with their employees?"

 

"You've never been seen with me or my group members before, and you're not exactly known for being social. The media will easily pick up on that, given how toxic they are."

 

Yoona frowned, then pretended to be hurt. "Ouch! Can't people change? Plus, you're the one who invited me to lunch, remember?" She noticed the idol freeze momentarily, lost in thought. "Please, Jennie, tell me what's bothering you."

 

"The picture that's circulating in the media right now could make people believe that something romantic is happening between us."

 

"We'll deny it," Yoona reassured, taking a step towards the idol unintentionally. She found herself captivated by those cat-like eyes. Shaking off the distraction, she gently touched Jennie's shoulder, surprising her. "Don't worry, everything will be fine. I'll handle this immediately."

 

"Alright," Jennie replied, smiling softly as her distress faded. Her captivating eyes were no longer clouded by worry. "My main concern is what your current fiancé might think about all this."

 

"Excuse me?" Yoona was taken aback, shaking her head.

 

"Forget it. I should head inside; my phone is probably flooded with calls and texts from my group members and CEO."

 

"Of course," Yoona said hesitantly, "I'll head out as well. Thank you for the meal. Next time, it's on me."

 

"Next time?" Jennie questioned.

 

Yoona nodded, offering a sheepish smile. "I did say you'd be seeing more of me. See you soon, Jennie." She playfully saluted, glad to see the idol smiling.

 

Driving her car, which she assumed was hers, Yoona felt relieved that her address was saved in the GPS.

 

"Now this is luxury!" Yoona exclaimed as she navigated her way into the neighborhood.

 

The upscale "Nine One Hannam" Complex stands as one of South Korea's most exclusive residential developments. Situated in the heart of Seoul's Hannam-dong area, this affluent neighborhood is nestled between the majestic Han River and the Namsam mountain, earning it the moniker "Korea's Beverly Hills."

 

The complex boasts an array of unparalleled amenities, including a private hiking trail and central park, a fitness center, a basketball court, and even a golf course. Additionally, residents enjoy convenient facilities like a market, a restaurant, and a swimming pool. Other luxuries abound, such as a lounge offering daily breakfast prepared by professional chefs, dedicated bike parking, and an opulent party room for larger gatherings.

 

It's no wonder I can rely on Lucifer's word. His recommendations never fail to impress.

 

Stepping into her unit, now her new home, Yoona's smile stretched from ear to ear as she took in the spacious surroundings. The high ceilings and expansive rooms, even in the smallest layout, provided more than 2600 square feet of luxurious living space.

 

As she made her way to the balcony of her unit, she closed her eyes and let the refreshing cool breeze caress her skin.

 

Here I have my own sanctuary, away from anyone's annoying chatter —

 

"Enjoying the view, darling?"

 

Yoona's eyes snapped open, and she turned to face the voice's source. A woman approached her with a confident stride, dressed in a form-fitting navy blue dress that accentuated her curves, and peep-toe stilettos that added to her commanding presence. The woman's physical appearance, along with the mischievous smirk on her face, immediately caught her attention. Despite faint lines on her forehead indicating her age, she exuded beauty that was still captivating.

 

"I'll spare you the expression you're wearing right now, after your dear mother's visit today," the woman said, enveloping Yoona in a hug. "How's work? Are you enjoying life these days?"


Mother? Do I have a mother here? What is this woman talking about in this earthly realm?


"Work is usually like that, Mom, aren't you accustomed to it?" she sighed, relieved that her acting skills were holding up. Once I'm done with this mission, I definitely deserve a substantial reward for pulling this off so smoothly.

 

"I've only been away for a month, and already you've managed to get yourself entangled in a ridiculous scandal."

 

Yoona watched her mother calmly as she strolled to the kitchen, fetching a glass of wine. "Scandal?" Is this what Jennie was referring to?

 

With a hum, the woman took a sip of her wine, her gaze locked onto Yoona's. "What were you thinking? Are you discontent with what you have?"

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

In a frozen moment, Yoona's mother stepped closer, stopping just inches away. "Loyalty, dear. I hold high expectations for you. You're not your father, so clean up the mess you've caused." Her right palm cradled Yoona's left cheek, tenderly caressing it as if it were a priceless gem. "If it were just one scandal, I might have fixed it myself, but you managed to create two!"

 

"Two?"

 

"You were spotted arguing with two ordinary women on the street, even though you weren't supposed to be on the street!"

 

Suppressing an eye roll, Yoona found her mother's tone growing irksome. It seems my earlier declaration of having my own space was a jinx.

 

"I could overlook that if it were the only issue, but then you went out to eat with Jennie Kim! There's even a photo of you two together, and you're hugging her."

 

"I was shielding her from the cameras, alright? I'd do the same for anyone." Not really. Yoona shrugged, unmoved by her mother's current state of anger. "And besides, I have business interactions with her as one of their investors. The solution is simple—just deny it."

 

"As simple as that? Now the media won't stop intruding on your privacy." Her mother looked defeated, visibly displeased with the situation. Understandably so, as she had every right to be concerned as Yoona's mother. "You're my only child, and I'm just trying to protect you. I hope you're not bothered by that," she added.

 

Of course, it bothered me because I detest admonitions. She's not even my biological mother, and yet here she is giving me a lecture.

 

"I'm an adult, Mother. There's no need to worry. I'll handle the mess I've made, and the last thing I want is to cause you distress."

 

"I'm not sure, Yoong. Your relationship with your fiancée is already shaky, she might storm in here any day, and then you'll be arguing about Jennie."

 

Fiancé? Now I have a fiancé? This is getting more complicated than I expected, Lu! Why is everyone here so against me getting close to Jennie? Something is fishy.


"What's the fuss about Jennie? I'll still hang out with her, she's a good person."


Her mother's face twisted with anger as she recounted Yoona's words. "You're not going to associate yourself with Jennie Kim! Do you comprehend? Your reputation, your marriage—it'll all be in jeopardy, and you'll lose yourself in the process."

 

Yoona stared back with a blank expression. Just because she wants me to avoid Jennie doesn't mean I will. What exactly is she? A gold?


"Why are you putting malice into this?"


"Malice?!  You're the one who admitted to me that you have romantic feelings for that woman! Did you hit your head on the way here?"

 

WHAT THE HELL -- 

 

"I must have been drunk when I said that. Why would I want someone else when I'm already engaged? That would be cheating."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter