Like gum stuck underneath a shoe

Breadwinner

A/N: Just wanted to thank everyone for the reviews. I don’t think this should be a very long story, at least I don’t think so. I’m really just writing as I go, and so far it’s working out okay. I hope you all like the second chapter and thank you for reading :) 


 





 

There was always a full sense of dread whenever Seulgi made that drive to her in-laws. For some reason it always felt longer than it needed to. Though, the alpha figured that had more to do with the fact she didn’t enjoy spending time with her in-laws. 

 

“We won’t have to stay long. I think as long as we are there for dinner. That's what my parents care most about.” She hears Joohyun speak from the passenger’s seat. No doubt probably trying to reassure Seulgi again that everything would be okay, and they’d stick to a plan.

 

“It’ll be okay, Hyun.” Seulgi tells her. She doesn’t necessarily think that this evening will go smoothly. Seulgi doesn't want to add onto the fact her wife is probably already stressed and nervous. It’s why she chose to keep it to herself. Besides, there was always a chance that tonight would be fine. Even if Seulgi had a terrible feeling it might not be fine.

 

“We’re going to leave as soon as possible.” 

 

“Alright, Hyunnie.” She gives her hand a squeeze and focuses back on the road before her. They still have a ways to go to get to Joohyun’s parents home. The couple keep the conversation relatively normal. As normal as they could while they talked about what would be a nice idea for their upcoming wedding anniversary. 

 

“We should have brought something.” It dawns on Seulgi that they probably should have bought something. A bottle of wine, a dessert, anything but to show up empty-handed to their house.

 

“Brought something to my snobby family’s house?” 

 

“I know, like some caviar or solid gold dinner plates or whatever your family is into now.”

 

Her omega covers and tries not to laugh too much about her alpha’s joke. 

 

“Don’t worry, baby. I’m sure my snobby family will already have the beluga caviar and shiny gold silverware already set.” Sometimes, Joohyun has wondered if she was adopted. As she had very little in common with her parents and most of her extended family. The only person she felt even remotely close to was her younger sister Yerim. And out of everyone that would be at the party. Joohyun felt good about seeing Yerim. 

 

“Yeah, knowing them I’m sure they’ll have all the fancy things covered. It amazes me that they’re your parents. You couldn’t be more different, Hyun.”

 

“Me too, Seul.” 

 

Seulgi sighed. They’d be at Joohyun’s family home soon. Less than five minutes away, and she felt even more dread. 

 

Seulgi could only hope to have dinner and leave as soon as possible.


 


 

As a young woman parked her car down the road from what could only be described as the fanciest estate on the entire block. Being out here tonight wasn’t exactly a part of Bae Yerim’s plans either. In fact, she could think of a million other places she’d rather be than going to her family’s home. Even though it was where she grew up and spent the majority of her life.

 

“Alright, better get this over with.”

 

The only people she is looking forward to seeing at this dinner are her older sister Joohyun and her wife Seulgi. She and Joohyun were similar in the sense that they had very little in common with their parents. And the moment they were able they left home. 

 

“Cheer up, Yerimie.” She felt a hand on her cheek and looked down into the smiling eyes of her fiancé. Okay, so maybe there was one other person who mattered the most. 

 

“Thank you for coming with me, Wan. This is my family after all, so I’m sorry you’re most likely going to have a terrible time. But the food will be good at least.”

 

Son Seungwan was an omega she met through mutual friends. Yerim wasn’t even necessarily looking for a relationship or love. But the alpha didn’t have much choice in the matter, when she fell hard for the beautiful and sweet omega. And because she loved Seungwan so much she didn’t wish to expose her too much to her family.

 

“I’m sure it won’t be that bad.” Seungwan speaks and reaches for her hand, so they can make the walk up the block to Yerim’s family estate.

 

“The minute you want to leave, we’re out there.” 

 

“While I appreciate your concern. I thought your sister was coming tonight? Don’t you want to spend some time with her? Maybe I’ll get the chance to meet her wife this time.”

 

With how busy both herself and Joohyun can get with work. Yerim hates to admit she doesn’t see her sister as much as she’d like to. It was one of the only reasons she agreed when her mother asked her to come over tonight. Because she’d get to see Joohyun and her wife Seulgi.

 

“I forgot you haven't met Seulgi yet. You’ll like her, she's really nice. I’m sure she’ll probably come too, though I don’t blame her if she chooses not to.”

 

Yerim can remember one of the last times they were over for dinner at her parent’s house. It might have been a year or so into Joohyun’s marriage. Yerim remembers because at the time their parents were trying to convince her sister to annul her marriage. Yerim remembered it well because she told herself she’d not fall in love and bring her spouse to her parents so they could treat them in the way they chose to treat Seulgi. But she did fall in love and tried to avoid Seungwan meeting her parents for as long as possible. 

 

However, when it came to Seungwan her parents were always nice to her, even if they had only met a few times. The alpha knew why it turned out that way.

 

“Your parents were always nice to me whenever we met for lunch. Do they really treat Seulgi that badly?” Seungwan just had a hard time believing that the Bae’s could be as awful as Yerim says. The same people who were nice and kind to her could also be downright rude and demeaning to Joohyun’s wife? 

 

They were approaching the house and Yerim turned to her with a serious expression. “They’re rich snobs, Wan. They might be my parents but that doesn’t make it less true. You know what rich snobs are like, right?”

 

Yerim didn’t have to say anything else for Seungwan to understand. That’s why she gave her hand a squeeze in silent confirmation that she would be there to support her fiance no matter what happened tonight.


 

 


 


 

At first glance, the Bae property was easily the most stunning estate on the whole block. It truly did put the other houses to shame, and not only because of it’s size. Though, Seulgi was sure not many people had their own security, a guest house, and a lake on their property. 

 

“Did you ever feel trapped here, Hyun?” Her alpha asks as they’re approaching the gates of her childhood home. The gates that made Seulgi think of a prison, a shiny well-kept prison. But nonetheless a prison.

 

“Sometimes.” Joohyun admitted. Because she was the oldest child, it was expected for her to one day inherit everything her family had. But when she chose Seulgi and married her they immediately threatened to disown her, and leave everything to her younger sister Yerim. Joohyun didn’t care about their threats, and whether her parents went through with them or not. The most important thing to the omega was being with the alpha she loved. 

 

Seulgi wanted to say something but the head security officer was now letting them into the property. Though he stuttered over his words and told Joohyun how lovely it was to see her again.

 

“Good evening, Ms. Bae, ma’am.” He even gave a salute, which looked funny to Seulgi, as she isn’t used to seeing people in their everyday life treat Joohyun like this. Mainly, because Joohyun was probably the most down to earth person she knew, and wouldn’t let anyone treat her differently because she came from money. More importantly, her other half never treated others with anything other than respect, no matter what their status was.

 

“Hi, Mr. Kwon. It’s been awhile, how’s your family?”

 

The security officer looked happy to have a brief conversation with Joohyun about his family, and his eldest child going off to college. It was the little things like this that told Seulgi he wasn’t at all used to having a typical conversation with Joohyun’s parents. If they even knew his name. 

 

“They’ll be happy to see you, Miss Bae. I just saw Miss Yerim a short while ago, with her girlfriend I think.”

 

“Yerim brought Seungwan.” She whispers to Seulgi, and that does give the couple another reason to stay for the dinner. Joohyun has met Seungwan and found her to be very sweet. She would love to be able to finally introduce her most important person to Yerim’s important person.

 

“It will be nice to meet this girlfriend of your sister’s.”

 

Joohyun agrees and with that in mind she and Seulgi say goodnight to Mr. Kwon and continue up the pathway to the family estate. It’s a good walk from the main gates to the estate, though not impossible. Seulgi remembered taking that long walk once, and that was when she had so much of her frustrating in-laws that she ended up walking out, and taking that long walk back to where her car was parked. She also remembered Joohyun coming after her to make sure she was okay. Seulgi would never forget how Joohyun touched her cheeks, left many kisses on each one, and told her she’d always choose her no matter what. It reminded Seulgi that she was surely lucky to have a mate like her, and to never take Joohyun for granted.

 

Because someone like Bae Joohyun could have had any alpha she wanted. Seulgi knew that and naturally her in-laws would remind her on occasion of that fact. But Joohyun chose her above anyone else and that mattered very much to the alpha.

 

“It looks like a full house.” Seulgi could see all the other cars, and knew the large parties the Bae’s tended to throw. There was no way this was everyone. Joohyun grabbed her hand and placed a kiss onto her knuckles.

 

“Everything’s going to be alright, hon.”

 

“Yeah,” She agreed reluctantly. “Maybe they won’t notice I’m there.” A small joke that didn’t exactly make Joohyun happy to hear. As if her parents wouldn’t be rude there was a good chance that they’d ignore Seulgi’s existence. All the omega  could think about was getting into the house, seeing her sister and Seungwan, eating dinner, and getting out of her parent’s house as soon as possible. 

 

They were greeted at the door by some of the house staff who looked thrilled to see Joohyun and also greeted Seulgi warmly. The staff who worked here were never the problem. Seulgi knew who would be, though, as she and Joohyun entered the house and fortunately they didn’t see either of her mom or dad right away. Not that it mattered because there were plenty of other snobs in the room looking at Seulgi like she was gum stuck underneath their shoes.

 

“That wasn’t even five minutes.” Seulgi sighed and felt Joohyun squeeze her hand. She could get through this for no other reason other than the woman standing beside her.

 

“Let’s see if we can find Yerim.”

 

“Good idea.”

 

The couple could barely walk through the crowds when an older woman called out to Joohyun and immediately started up a conversation.

 

“How lovely to see you, dear? It’s been a long time.”

 

“Oh, hello Mrs. Jo.” Joohyun gave a polite smile. The kind of polite smile Seulgi recognized whenever Joohyun wasn’t particularly thrilled to be talking to said person.

 

“You must come to our summer home this year, Joohyun. Your parents and I missed you at the last party. I have a son about your age who would be perfect for you.”

 

At this, Joohyun frowns. She is after all, wearing a very obvious wedding ring on her finger and is holding hands with her mate. The very same mate that everyone in this room knows is her significant other. 

 

“I guess I could attend your summer party this year, Mrs. Jo. My wife and I were just saying we could use a summer vacation. What do you think, sweetie?” 

 

Seulgi smiled at the reaction of Mrs. Jo as her expression went from pleasant to mortified in a matter of what seemed like seconds. 

 

“Sure, I guess we could. Oh, and I’m a pretty good bartender if you need someone to make drinks, ma’am.”

 

Mrs. Jo looked as if she was trying to compose herself and find the right words to say here. “I think…”

 

“Yeah, you’re right. Seulgi and I will be much too busy to attend your party, but thank you for the invite.”

 

They walked away from her and still she stood there in shock. If they could have more interactions like that. Seulgi thought maybe tonight wouldn’t be so bad after all. She leaned down to kiss the top of Joohyun’s forehead in thanks. 

 

“You really hit a nerve, Hyun.”

 

“She deserved it. Why don’t we go get something to drink and then we can find my sister.”

 

It sounded like a plan. There were surely enough servers walking around with all sorts of refreshments. Together, they made their way through a small crowd of people in conversation, and headed over to one of the servers to get a glass of wine. Seulgi was about to hand Joohyun a glass when they noticed her sister in the distance. She looked bored and tired already, but it was clear why because she was talking to her parents.

 

“We found Yerim.”

 

“Let’s go rescue her from your parents.”

 

Joohyun was more than ready to go rescue her sister from talking to their parents. Even if she could already hear Yerim telling her she didn’t need rescuing. Either way, she and Seulgi walked over, and Yerim did look relieved to see them.

 

“Well it’s about time. Hi, Hyun.” She hugged her sister first. “Good to see you, Seulgi.” Yerim offers her sister-in-law a hug too. Truly, Yerim was always nice to Seulgi. She would easily joke with the other alpha and made her feel more welcome than either Mr. Bae or Mrs. Bae ever did. 

 

“I could say the same to you, sis.” Joohyun smiled genuinely, happy to see her younger sister. “Where’s Seungwan? She is here, right?”

 

Never ones to be ignored, it wasn’t long before Mr. Bae spoke. “It’s lovely to see you, sweetheart.”

 

“We are very glad you came, Joohyun.” Her mother adds. “We’ll move to have dinner soon, but if you don’t mind. Your father and I were talking to your sister about important family matters.”

 

Bae Byeongho looked over to Seulgi and gave her a polite, distant nod. “Seulgi, would you mind if we spoke to Joohyun alone. This is rather important.”

 

His wife looked curiously at her husband, but didn’t hesitate in backing him up. “We should probably talk to you too, Hyun. Before dinner starts.”

 

“And why can’t Seulgi stay here? Whatever you tell me, I’m going to just talk over with her anyways. You do know that.”

 

“That’s fine, Hyun.” Her mother said in a dismissive way, and continued saying that they would rather talk to their daughter’s alone. Seulgi didn’t want to prolong this any longer than necessary and so she excused herself.

 

“I’m just going to step out for some air. I’ll be right back, Hyun.”

 

“Well…” Joohyun was hesitant to let her walk away, because she didn’t want Seulgi to feel like she didn’t want her to be standing right there. She backed off because she recognized that her mate was doing this more so for her than anything. Joohyun made a mental note to herself that she would make it up to Seulgi, somehow.

 

“Alright, Seul. I’m sure this won’t take long. I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” 

 

Once Seulgi had walked off and headed outside for some air like she said she would. Joohyun turned to her parents. “Do you both always have to be so rude to her?”

 

“No one was being rude, dear. We simply have to talk to you and your sister. It’s about important family matters, and I’m sure you understand that.”

 

Joohyun took a deep breath and remembered that they are her parents. She doesn’t want to be terrible to them just because they can be terrible people sometimes. It would serve no purpose to be rude just because they are.

 

“Seulgi is my family. Though I know you both like to forget.”

 

“You two are never rude to Seungwan.” Yerim chimes in. She is always going to support her sister when it comes to these constant issues with their parents. “I wonder why that is. Do you wonder too, mom, dad?”

 

And for once neither himself or his wife had an instant reply for what Yerim was suggesting.


 

 


 

 

The moment the cool air hit her face. Seulgi took a breath and closed her eyes. This wasn’t even the worst behavior from her in-laws. Which made the alpha believe that there would be more to come before the night was over. She would definitely need at least one drink to get through the night. 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize anyone was out here.” A soft voice spoke and she turned around to see a nicely dressed woman with blonde locks. She looked like she belonged there with the rest of the well-to-do guests. And yet there was something different in her energy. There was a certain softness in her voice that set her apart from the rest of the rich. Something that Seulgi immediately noticed about her own wife.

 

“Oh, that’s alright. I just needed to get away from all those snobs. Any longer and I would have passed out.”

 

Seungwan laughs and nods her head. “Yes, some of them could use some humility that’s true.” Seungwan typically likes to give most people the benefit of the doubt. However, in the short time she was walking in that room she ran into more unlikeable people than she expected. When she told Yerim that she needed to step out for some air, her fiance understood, and told her to take her time. For she didn’t know how long she’d be stuck talking to her parents.

 

“Thank you for not being offended.” Seulgi speaks in relief.

 

“Why would I be offended?” 

 

“It’s just…” how could she word this delicately. So far this woman seemed okay, possibly more than okay. But Seulgi didn’t know her either, and she didn’t want to offend anyone. “I hope you don’t mind my saying, but you’re clearly rich or at least well off. I figured there was a possibility I might have offended you.”

 

That’s when Seungwan looked sympathetic. This alpha must have gone through a lot and that much was clear to Seungwan.

 

“Oh no, I’m not offended. I understand, really. If I have to hear someone brag to me about their new summer home or how many yachts they have. I will seriously scream.”

 

Seulgi nodded and agreed. “Me too, and we haven’t even gotten through dinner yet.”
 

“My fiance already warned me how it would be, so I anticipated this as a possibility.”

 

“Your fiance, who is your fiance. Maybe I know them.”

 

“She…” Seungwan doesn’t get to answer only because there’s a text from Yerim asking her if she’s alright, and if she needs anything. Seulgi noticed the smile on the omega’s face and it was a smile she recognized easily. She had looked at messages from Joohyun with the same sort of smile too many times to count.

 

“You know what, let’s go inside, and you can meet her. I promise she’s not a terribly rude snob like some of the others.”
 

“Okay, I better get back to my wife anyways. I’m sorry for not introducing myself earlier. My name is Seulgi and you are…”

 

“Seungwan?” Though, the woman didn’t say her name herself, as Seulgi noticed Yerim running out the door and over to her. “Hey, are you alright? I was coming to get you, but…oh Seulgi.” She noticed her. This was perfect timing after all, she could take the time to introduce Seungwan to Seulgi. Though it looked as if they were already talking.

 

“So you’re Yerim’s girlfriend.” Seulgi spoke. “It’s really nice to meet you, Seungwan.”

 

“And you’re Seulgi. Joohyun’s wife.”

 

“That would be me.”

 

“Hey, hey, while I am glad you two are getting along and all. I think…” 

 

“Sorry to interrupt, Yerim. But what happened? Is Joohyun okay?” She knows very well that Joohyun can handle herself when it comes to her parents. Still, Seulgi just has to know if her mate was alright, and if there was anything she could do to help.

 

“Joohyun’s fine. Our parents didn’t even get to talk to us, not really. They had to attend to their guests. You know how much more important that is.”

 

“Right.” 

 

“Hey, there you are.” Everyone turned when they saw Joohyun now coming out to obviously look for Seulgi. Though she sees that Yerim and Seungwan are out here too, and feels more relieved than she had this whole evening so far. These are the only people she’d want to be around for this dinner, and they were literally all standing outside.

 

“Joohyun?”

 

“You’ve met Seungwan already?”

 

“Yeah, I was having an entire conversation with her and didn’t even realize I was talking to Yerim’s girlfriend. She’s really nice like you said.”

 

“Well, thank you, Seulgi. You’re not so bad yourself.”

 

Yerim opened to correct the fact that Seungwan is not her girlfriend anymore and that they are engaged to be married. Only her sister is busy talking about how they should probably head inside, before their parents send someone out to collect them. 

 

“Alright, but I have something to say first.”

 

“I see the party is out here now.” Bae Hyunjoo opened the door and came out to join everyone. Yerim groaned heavily and wanted to scream so badly, until Seungwan grabbed her hand.

 

“We were just coming inside, mother.” Joohyun assures her, anything to make sure they don’t have some tedious conversation out here right now. Her plan is still to have dinner and leave so she and Seulgi don’t have to stay here any longer than necessary.

 

“I think that’s a good idea. The guests were wondering where you two were, so we don’t want to keep anyone waiting.”

 

“Why not, it’s not like they’re going anywhere. Not until you feed them anyways.” Yerim speaks and her mother looks at her with a frown. 

 

“That’s not polite, sweetie. Come on, let’s go. I asked the chef to make sure there were all of your and Joohyun’s favorite foods.”

 

That was the end of that. Yerim knew she’d have to wait to tell her sister and Seulgi that Seungwan was her fiance, and Joohyun too looked like she wanted this whole night over. The Bae siblings walked ahead and Seulgi took a moment to ask Seungwan a question.

 

“Hey, do you mind if I ask you a question?”

 

“No, not at all, Seulgi.”

 

“Do the Bae’s treat you nicely?”

 

Seungwan could not do anything other than look sympathetic. She also didn’t have it in her heart to lie, and so she nodded. “They’re nice enough. I’ve only met them a few times, but…”

 

“I see.” Seulgi understood. “Ah, don’t worry. I was just curious. We better go because if nothing else they will have a lot of good food.”

 

“Are you alright, Seulgi?”

 

She could see Joohyun looking at her with a concerned expression. Seulgi knew she better smile and nod to assure everyone that she was fine.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks for asking, now come on. Let’s go grab some food before all the rich snobs eat it all.”

 

Seungwan smiled, though she had a feeling there was more going on here that no one seemed to want to get into at this point in time. Seulgi could only walk up to the door and sigh.

 

So It was only her that the Bae’s treated like something that was snuck underneath their shoe.


 

A/n: oh family drama and issues, but we are just getting started. I hope to tell a good story and make this still an enjoyable read, though I’m sure there will be some angst parts as we go. But nothing too bad, I don’t think. As always thank you for reading and reviews are appreciated :) 

 

Sponsor Mentions: As always, thank you very much to my sponsors. I appreciate all of you so much: AvryGeist171, Tay_84, royalshipper2122, DTHDHR, Bernkaset, jasonds,  ZombieJuhyun, falsuki, Eris78, User_name1200, Androsssss, theRequiem78, Seosunny, sleepyhead, pinkpinkypin, iamforeverlame, Mmm2392, CheezeeMyoui, Supergirl03, taeyang729, RedPaint, Shouto818,  jjlevi93, LOCOppl, AliyaViktoria, j33200, Karasxo, Mehrus, HornedDevil, Shaolan, Zesev7, PengusTigerClub, Mia317, Kim_saehyun97, Mustafina, Jiminiepabo707,  s1786343, satozaki, noob101, j3200, dmac20, Zesev7, Jewster88, shinneay, aseulo, Mmm2392, Taitai84, km3bty, somebbboy, mondongo1, Angelline152, ajhoon, Pinkbubl, Itheartisti, drunkenseul, ainijt, sonexpikachu64, Simpz11, Revelsone, Moonstunt, Fantasii, ericakate, dmac20, seulseulseul,  YANGx_, Tempurany, bbongdrr, okay54321, Username_1200, zwilson4, AlineKwon, issiswain56, captainsnsd, wannis3s, YANGx, born10966, ioi_babysitter, anonymous, shinneay, Informedpuppy, anonymous, Ginestroza2000,, aya_ah98, Lpoppp, Cheorrybat, raej02,, YURIIIIII, Pinkbubl, KaiserKawaii, Mia317,, born10966, bbongdrr,  L1d14LF5, hanz316, seulich, f0fbf5a0a202038595a4c, luckplane, readinreadin, omadiver, conysilvaa, Morning-star_06, roraon, seulich, milfrene, dianafeng, Rated_pg, Xoxosonegg, Locksmithtaeng, Supergirl03, baetokki9,  Thank you so much for being sponsors. :)