Unlucky strike

threads in the stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two crashes.

Probably a wine glass and the saucer beside it.

Four thuds.

Xiaoting could only sigh upon hearing what sounded like some good fruits being thrown across the room. She made a mental note to refill the peaceful glass bowl with more strawberries, grapes, and tangerines tomorrow.

A crash.

Or maybe not—since the innocent glass bowl was nowhere to be found on the table. This is why she prefers boxed juice and milk anyway.

Among these rhythmic crashes and thuds, Xiaoting can only hear gibberish with too much volume. She doesn't have to go outside her room to know what the throwing game is all about.

Another crash, a loud surprised cuss word, and a loud thunder.

Xiaoting unconsciously smirked. She knew that was the wine bottle and the target was nearly hit. The crashes and thuds stopped at that moment and were replaced with loud shouts filled with curses and some colorful words that Xiaoting also felt at that moment.

Annoyed. Pissed. Done. ed Up.

The volume of their heated argument lessened as the song playing on her MP3 player reached the bridge part. She maxed the volume and closed her eyes.

'Did you try to live on your own
When you burned down the house and home?'

Now it was just Billy Joe Armstrong singing his heart out with the heavy rain outside their house.

It was comforting for a moment, but when the song faded, she was pulled back into reality, now that she heard her name in that. argument. Unfortunately, the song was on the mellow part once again, making the gibberish noise a little too clear for her liking.

"Now you're blaming me for the decision that you ing forced on me? Raising that child?"

"No no, we are not bringing this up again. We got married! You are that who thought everything about marriage and family is a fairytale, and you chose that, with me!"

"See, that proves my point, isn't it?! You despise your goddamn life, and you also regret this! You regret saying I do, taking care of that girl-"

"Don't you dare put words in my mouth now! I never even said that."

"Oh really, but you said-"

Before the song could even end, Xiaoting realized that she was now standing at her door. With her opening it, the throwing and shouting game stopped completely.

Her dad and mom, or that's what they wanted to label themselves, were now staring at her with obvious shock and embarrassment plastered on their faces. The two were waiting for a word from her as if it was their life verdict. Her eyes were looking at the ground. She couldn't even feel the shattered pieces of glass piercing spots on her bare feet. All she could feel was the heat rising around her head and her breathing became controlled, trying to stop what was about to come out.

Xiaoting could only open a little but no words fell out. She then gritted her teeth.

"No."

She said, almost in a whisper as she gulp that rising lump on throat. The living room felt big now as she felt like she had to say things that will reach both of her parents' comprehension.

"No," Xiaoting lifted her eyes and gave them a piercing gaze, "I can't let you blame me for all the things you two were doing."

She wanted to crash anything on her hand but both palms were already balled. Well, at least her MP3 was kept safely in her pocket.

The woman tried to reach out for her hand, in which Xiaoting rejected, shoving it away. Her mother's shocked reaction made her scoff in disbelief. She then saw her father looked at her with his eyebrows colliding in anger.

Xiaoting laughed. "You two hate me so much that you don't even bother hiding it, can you?" She didn't hide the tears falling from her eyes as she laughed in disbelief.

"You hypocrites, don't even pretend that you're hurt in front of me. At least stand your ground and look me in the eyes and say it!

Silence. The two didn't move a muscle and looked down. This really made her head boil.

"What? You're scared to say things now? Say it!"

The girl can't help but push her father in the shoulder, pointing and hitting him as she provoke him, and of course he did.

"You want to hear it that bad?" The father scoffed with his smirking mouth and gritting teeth. Xiaoting could hear the woman whispering 'no', blocking her husband from Xiaoting and creating a distance between them.

"Yes, yes! I hated you the moment you came into our family! My brother had to die because of you, and that will forever be you fault!" The man said in outburst, with tears falling from his eyes as well, but w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter