we seal what we agreed on

Through All Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 2009

 

Chorong

 

Since the day she started remembering things, Chorong often felt like she was being watched. There were also times when she would feel a pull inside her chest, like there was something missing in her life. In her dreams, she would see someone hugging her, whispering things in her ear that would make her heart race. Although she could not see that person’s face, Chorong knew one thing: that someone was a girl. 

 

“Chorong, you’ll be late for school!” she heard her mother call from the kitchen. Chorong groaned before she got out of bed to prepare for school.

 

It was her first day in pre-college and she was excited to see how different it would be compared to high school. She was meant to go to another university in a different city but she was convinced to stay when she found out that Joohyun was enrolling in a community college as well. With that, they’ve decided to take their pre-college courses, a special program exclusive to their school. The program is just taking their general education courses in advance so they could focus more on their major courses when class proper starts.

 

Dressed up in a simple pants and shirt with a jacket to prevent herself from getting cold. “Good morning, mother,” she kissed her mother’s cheek. 

 

"You'll turn eighteen this year," she said. Chorong smiled back and nodded, "You grew up too fast."

 

Confused, Chorong sat down and started eating breakfast. She noticed her phone light up, a message from her best friend coming through.

 

From: Joohyun ♥

I'm excited to start pre-college with you! I'll pick you up.

 

"Do you need your father to drive you to school?" her mother asked. Chorong quickly shook her head, "Why?"

 

"Joohyun will pick me up," she answered. Chorong saw her mother frown and sighed, "Mama, I will not stay away from my best friend."

 

"I know that, child. I'm just worried," she laughed a bit, "Joohyun's bad decisions and your bad luck does not actually make a good combination." Chorong laughed at what her mother just said.

 

It's true. Chorong does have bad luck but somehow, she gets by. One time, she got too soaked by the rain because she forgot to bring an umbrella so she had no choice but to stop by a convenience store for a while. And as it turns out, someone got killed on the way home just a few minutes after she entered the store. It was a blessing in disguise that she forgot her umbrella because if she didn’t, she could have been the one who got killed. In another case, Joohyun’s bad decision almost got them lost in another city. Joohyun wanted to try the food that was being served at the border of the city but then they got lost along the way. A man who knew them found them sitting on the side of the road where they were resting and brought them back home.

 

Somehow, Chorong manages to find herself out of bad situations even if it was caused by her best friend or some unfortunate chance. And she knows that it has something to do with the feeling that she was being watched.

 

Chorong heard Joohyun call her name from outside their house. She immediately grabbed her bag and said goodbye to her parents before she went out of the house. “Joohyun!” she waved. The shorter girl looked at her with a smile that stretched from ear to ear.

 

One thing about Joohyun is that even if she tends to make bad decisions and put the both of them in a tight situation, she would always try her best to help Chorong out. 

 

Joohyun held out her hand which Chorong took instantly. And then, they started walking, “So, are you excited?” 

 

She nodded and leaned closer to her best friend, “I’m scared that no one will like me.”

 

“That's nonsense, Chorong! You’re cute and charming. I’m sure they’ll swoon over her,” Joohyun answered. Chorong felt the girl squeeze her hand, something she has become accustomed with over the years.

 

~

 

Pre-college classroom sessions were okay. Chorong managed to make some new friends but during lunch, she opted to go with Joohyun, like she always does. Joohyun told her that they should eat behind the library where it was quiet so they did. After eating, they parted ways and went to their designated class. On her way, Chorong bumped into someone.

 

She’s never seen a girl that pretty before. Soft features, almost as if she’s an angel. The girl smiled and asked for my class and as coincidence, they have the same class. The girl even asked if she and Chorong could sit together so she agreed.

 

"I'm Byul, by the way," she introduced herself.

 

"Chorong," she answered. Chorong couldn’t believe that someone like Byul existed. She was pretty, soft spoken, and somehow even glowing. 

 

Chorong felt a sudden uneasiness creep through her. Like she did something wrong and she was being watched again. If she was going to be honest, she didn’t like the feeling. A part of her felt like she was a weirdo and if people found out, Chorong was pretty sure that she would be isolated. The only person who knew about this feeling was Joohyun because she feels the same. But Joohyun’s case is different. She said that whenever she was making a decision, it almost felt like someone was laying out options for her. Joohyun explained that before she made a decision, all the options were good and that there was no thrill. Not liking all the good options she has, Joohyun will do something that isn’t part of what was laid out for her. Thus, her bad decisions. 

 

"Say, want to have some dinner after class?" Byul broke her out of her reverie when she asked. Chorong looked at her with wide eyes, "What? Never been asked out before?" with a blush, she looked down.

 

She was about to say yes when she felt a cold chill crept down her spine. The air inside the classroom suddenly turned cold just as the door opened. A lady around their age, if Chorong was guessing correctly, entered. She looked too good to be true. It was like seeing a god enter the room. But the downside was her clothes that seemed to be too outdated for modern times. Chorong wondered if it was because it was history class and they were supposed to tackle stuff about ancient times. The black cape over the woman’s shoulder looked like the ones people would wear for cosplay events, those used by grim reapers.

 

The woman stood in front of the class, silencing every talking student. She had sharp, almost cold eyes, a defined jaw that could probably cut paper, and long black hair. The moment the woman looked at Chorong’s direction and met her eyes, she felt like fainting. Chorong felt her body start to tremble but it wasn’t because she was scared. She didn’t know why it was happening but when the woman looked away, the trembling stopped.

 

"Your teacher will not be here today so I will be here for the meantime," her voice sounded like honey in Chorong’s ears. Were college professors supposed to be that attractive? She found herself staring at the perfect features of the woman in front. Her eyes, nose, and lips, and even the way her lips would move when she spoke, all of them were too perfect. “Now, let’s begin your history class,” she looked at Byul.

 

“Y-yes?” Byul managed to ask.

 

The woman smirked, “What do you think of death?”

 

I think I just lost my mind.

 

~

 

Class was terrifying, for Byul that is. Throughout the whole time, which was three hours worth of class, the teacher did nothing but ask her questions. Other students were asked but still, it would always come back to Byul. Chorong pitied her new found friend and classmate.

 

“Damn, that substitute was scary as hell!” Byul whined as they walked along the corridor. Chorong couldn’t help but chuckle because for her, the sub wasn’t scary at all. Maybe she just didn’t like Byul that much? “I lost my appetite after all the questions she threw at me. Let’s just eat next time, yeah?”

 

With a nod, Chorong answered, “Sure.” When they exited the building, she saw Joohyun waiting on a bench. “Hyunnie” she called and skipped her way to her best friend.

 

“Rong,” the shorter girl stood up and welcomed her with a hug before they started walking home together. “My philosophy sub was weird.”

 

"Same. Our history sub was weird too," she answered. Chorong gave out an exhausted sigh as she recalled how their history sub kept asking Byul questions. If she was Byul, she’d probably be scarred for life too.

 

"Our sub kept asking me what I want in life and that life is fair and also it's humans' fault why we suffer," Joohyun continued

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter