'KARINA'

Superhuman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: You might be confused in the storytellling since I originally planned Winter as the superhero until I made Karina and Winter switch places. I only scanned the entire thing so there might still be mistakes. 

 

Chapter 1: 'KARINA'

 

Jimin was 16 when she discovered she just became what every child had always dreamed of– a superhuman. Although she didn’t  have superpowers like Thor, Dr. Strange, or any marvel superheroes she had seen on TV, her physical abilities have been greatly enhanced to superhuman levels out of nowhere. 

 

The first thing she noticed was her enhanced senses, specifically her vision. She didn’t have problems with her eyes before that fateful night but strangely, she noticed that she can see whatever is happening approximately 5 kilometers away from her if she allows herself to focus on it, IN 4K. 

 

Next came the rest of her 5 senses which she had to figure out the worst way possible. She can hear voices and noises within a 10km radius (approximately). The first three days were so terrible that she had not gotten any sleep because she could literally hear everything and anything, from her neighbor’s loud snoring to the loud noise from the bar that’s literally 5km away from her house. 

 

Her nose can smell anything that’s within the same radius as well. Jimin had to cover her nose with a handkerchief everytime (even if she’s already wearing a mask) because she could smell different things at once (her classmate’s sweat and even the poop of her neighbor’s cat!). Jimin had to breathe through because of it. Thank God she’s learned how to limit the distance she can smell and hear because if not, Jimin wouldn’t last another week with it. 

 

The dark-haired girl also gained a 6th sense. She would notice whenever someone was approaching her even with the lightest footsteps or just by simply watching her. Whenever some object falls, her enhanced strength and reflexes would immediately catch it.  

 

Speaking of strength, discovering her superhuman strength was probably the moment she realized that she wasn’t so normal anymore. It was a Monday morning and Jimin had to wake up early because of school. For someone who isn’t a morning person, she just had to smash her alarm which caused her alarm to break into pieces. Not only that, her nightstand was also split into half. 

 

She watched the broken alarm and nightstand in horror and spent like 30 minutes wondering what the hell she just did. She did notice that she got a bit stronger but not strong enough to actually split a wooden nightstand into half using her bare hand. She proceeded to test it out by lifting some heavy objects. She tried lifting chairs, tables, even their refrigerator, and to really test how strong she’s gotten, she spotted an empty bus and tried lifting it–using only her index finger. 


 

She confirmed the rest of her superhuman abilities during PE. Enhanced Speed, Agility, Stamina, Endurance, you name it. 

 

The last test she did  was testing if she can fly, like most superheroes she had seen on TV. Unfortunately she had only embarrassed herself by falling down, face flat into the ground. She would’ve had a broken nose if not for her enhanced durability. 

 

Jimin made her debut as ‘KARINA’ the local superhero a few months after she gained superhuman abilities. Her debut or her early days as a superhero wasn’t something she really wanted to remember because she hated her superhero get up. A hoodie, some jogging pants, and a poorly drawn mask she made using her leftover poster paint set her mother bought during middle school. 

 

Her first ‘superhero act’ was saving an elderly woman’s cat that got stuck up on the tree. She found out that she can jump really high and so she jumped towards the cat and got her down safely. She introduced herself as ‘Karina’ and that she was a superhero. Funny thing is, the lady didn’t even realize that the girl had just jumped like 8ft from the ground and thought she was just some kid in the neighborhood who’s playing superhero. The woman happily let Jimin come inside her house and offered her cookies (to which she had to eat at home because she had to hide her face).

 

Rumors started to spread later that there was some superhero who’s got crazy physical abilities going around in the city, helping people in need. Of course people didn’t believe it at first, saying it was impossible (Only the kids were the first to believe her). That was until, Karina made her official debut during an ongoing construction in the middle of the city. When she saved a mother and daughter from the huge falling steel beam from above. With her superspeed and superstrength, she immediately dashed her way towards the two and caught the steel beam herself, preventing it from falling to the ground or the woman and the girl.

 

Jimin (as KARINA) was surrounded with gasps and murmurs after the stunt she just did. She carefully placed the beam on the ground and properly introduced herself to the crowd after checking if the two were alright. That night, the news was all about her, about how a real superhero had just appeared and saved the day. Photos and videos of her catching the huge beam were all over the internet.  From how she just appeared out of nowhere and catching the huge beam like it weighed nothing. 

 

Her popularity skyrocketed real quick and was even granted an audience with the current president. The name Karina was all over Korea and the Korean government decided to sponsor Karina in everything she needs. She was given a new superhero suit and various equipment she can use on her hero duties with the most advanced technology there is.

 

Like the cool bracer she’s wearing right now, showing a hologram map of an area with a blinking red dot on a certain place. She pressed a small button on her bracer, revealing a tiny earpiece and placed it on her ear. Karina hops her way to the place where the blinking red dot is which is just located in her city. 

 

“Ningning? What’s the problem?” She said to the person on the other line. It was nighttime already, and criminals loved the night because it was easy to hide in the dark. 

 

“Robbery inside 7/11, like the convenience store. Two men and one of them has a gun. They have a teenage girl as a hostage too.  Be careful, Karina.” Jimin may have snickered at the last three words.

 

“There’s no need to worry, Ning.”

 

“I’m the superhuman KARINA.”


 

 

Minjeong always wondered what the hell her past life could’ve done to deserve whatever she’s going through right now. Trouble seems to follow her literally everywhere she goes and tonight was probably the worst one so far. 

 

The girl tried to struggle her way out from the man only to tighten his grip on her and pointed the gun on her temple. 

 

“Do that again and I’ll pull the trigger.” The middle-aged man threatened her. Minjeong listened to him and stopped struggling, hoping she would live another day. Her face is pale as hell and her tears are threatening to fall. 

 

. Minjeong thought. She’s already convinced that maybe tonight is her last day on earth.

 

“Release that girl right now!”  

 

Or maybe not.

 

Minjeong tried to scream for help but the man had covered with his sweaty hand. Minjeong reminds herself to make sure that she brushes her teeth later then mentally slaps herself because she really shouldn’t be worrying about that right now when her life is literally on the line.



 

“Move and I’ll shoot this girl!” The man taking Minjeong as hostage shouted at the girl standing in the doorway. He didn’t expect for the superhero to arrive this early. 

 

Oh .

 

The superhero in different shades of blue spandex raised both of her hands above her head. She wore a mask that covered most of her face except and a black cape that came with a hoodie in it. 

 

“Taking a pretty girl as your hostage ain’t cool man.” The hero comments but the man just ignores her.


Oh my. Minjeong might just faint.

 

The man’s partner was done stuffing his bag with money from the cash register and some cigarettes as well. He notified his partner that he was done and that they were ready to leave. He approached his partner with slow steps, not letting his guard down knowing that the superhero is just a few feet away from him.


“Get inside and stay away from the door!” The man instructed the superhero. The superhero followed him and the man turned towards his partner and nodded. His partner left the store and went towards their motorcycle parked outside. The man smirked and slowly went towards the door as well to escape, bringing Minjeong with him, his gun not leaving the girl’s temple. 

 

He’s bringing me with him!?

 

The smirk on his face didn’t last long when his partner came back in a panicked state, pointing at the spot where their motorcycle was supposed to be parked. The motorcycle that they were going to escape with was now shattered into a million piece

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter