(i)

Meant To Be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Meant to be

One

 

 

“We’re in public!” 

 

“And I need to ing poop, Irene!” 

 

“Can’t you hold it in for thirty minutes??”

 

“Why the did we even come here? There’s no public bathroom???? What is happening in this country? These politicians will be the death of me, I swear!” 

 

“It was your idea to hike this massive ass hill just to impress that blondie over there who is that stud in the corner by the way.” 

 

Seulgi scrunches her nose, “She can his for all I care! Do you have a plastic bag with you?”

 

“My entire bag is filled with Haetnim’s biodegradable poop bags cause last time that rascal had the audacity to on my new nike!!! I swear to god, Joy’s training that dog to be her twin.” Irene grumbles, breathing heavily while slowly walking the uphill.

 

“Give it to me, woman!” Seulgi stretches her hands out painfully.

 

“You can’t be serious!” 

 

“That dog s like us, what’s the problem of me ting and using it’s bag???”

 

Irene glares, “To remind you again, we’re in a ing charity hike, Seul! I told you to take a before we left!”

 

“Oh, yeah, sure, blame it on my for trying to push this of a out.” 

 

“Stop being dramatic!” Irene rolls her eyes.

 

“I’m not lying, Irene, I feel like my bones will break anytime soon if I don’t let it out! Do you want to see all of my bones broken? My hip bones!!???” Seulgi whisper yells. 

 

“That’s not how broken bones work.” Seulgi stares at her friend with a very hostile look and hisses, “I’m proud that you’ve got this doctorate degree but don’t you go all surgeon on me!”

 

“This is insanity. I should’ve never agreed to come be your wingwoman.” Irene bites back.

 

Seulgi scoffs, “Yet you did and now you’re stuck here with me. Don’t taunt me or I’ll ing strip here to crap!”

 

“Why do you need to strip to excrete feces? You only have to pull down your bottom fabric.” 

 

“I know that, genius. I’ve been a woman for twenty-nine years.” Seulgi sarcastically throws away.

 

“So you poop …” 

 

“I feel y and empowered like that.” 

 

“I don’t want to hear it anymore.” 

 

“Pretty sure you poop with your scrubs on.”

 

“Explain the logic here; how can one poop with their scrubs on unless they’re wearing a diaper inside???” 

 

“God—that’s not what we should focus on! I’m going to die!!!” Seulgi whines, loudly this time; attracting most of the sweaty people’s attention. The blondie, who is the main host of this uneventful hike and the one that Seulgi desperately wanted to impress, comes rushing to them, leaving the huge dude she was a minute ago behind. 

 

“Is there any problem here?” Irene admits the woman is mesmerizing and beautiful, understanding why her stupid friend wants to hit that because damn those legs are to die for. She feels a sharp nudge on her ribs and particularly is ready to spit curses at Seulgi’s disoriented face.

 

But, she won’t because saving Seulgi’s reputation to get the girl is the main job she took once they swore to be lifetime bestfriends on second grade. 

 

“Sorry, we might have to leave due to some family issues.” Irene puts on her fake 'sorry’ face.

 

The blondie quickly believes the reason, a concerned expression taking over her entire face, “Oh..Is there anything I could help with?”

 

Before Irene could come with a plausible explanation, Seulgi claps her hand loudly and takes over the mic, “Our friend’s dog broke his leg while ice-skating and you know this one here is a very good surgeon, so we need to go and save that dip’s life! Later, alligator!” 

 

Just like the wind, Seulgi takes the turn and rushes downhill like a maniac. Irene awkwardly coughs and fakes a smile to the frowning blondie who sternly says, “Seriously? Ice-skating?”

 

Irene nods her head, “What she said.”

 

“Don’t ever expect to be in one of my events ever, you two are blacklisted!” The blondie walks away and Irene dashes to follow her constipated friend.

 

Twenty minutes later, two figures emerge from a path that has a big sign demanding ‘NO TRESPASSING’. 

 

“God, that felt so peaceful.” 

 

Irene walks tad faster than her usual pace, “Not a word, Seul! Not a word!” 

 

“Everyone farts while pooping, Irene. Stop acting like I did something sinful.”

 

“…I swear I’m never hanging out with you again.” 

 

“Hey…at least Haetnim’s poop bag came handy!!” Seulgi chuckles.

 

Irene snaps, “Call an uber home, and NO—I am not letting you sit in my car with your filthy hands!” 

 

“And you call yourself a bestie??” Seulgi fakes a cry.

 

“You ing stink.” 

 

“Well, I wonder how you smell after you poop.” Seulgi retorts.

 

And that’s just a glimpse of Dr. Bae’s oh so simple life. Doctor Irene Bae, general surgeon in one of the top ruling hospitals, though her career takes half of her time to get anything done, she has a whole package of fun attached to her; friends, and of course the nosiest/ loving family. Her best friends being a top choreographer and a deputy sheriff who occasionally eachother but are to dumb to actually communicate, how can this not serve as an entertainment to her boring routinely life? 

 

Yes, sometimes they can be worse to handle but nothing can ever win her insane family! And to exactly explain it…let’s take an example of what happened a year ago.

 

“Doctor Bae? Hit and run patient named Bogum just rolled in and he’s saying his death wish is to get operated by you?” 

 

“What?” Irene drops her sandwich down, grabbing her coat instantly and heads out of her office with the nurse in tail. 

 

Soon, Irene could see a wailing man in a stretcher while every other medical staff looked on, trying their best to help but the man wouldn’t let them, swatting their hands away when they got near. Even in a bloody situation like this, pride really is something, Irene thinks as she makes herself known to the general audience there.

 

“Who the is this prick?” Her companion from residency year, Sehun asks as soon as he acknowledges her.

 

“I don’t know.” Irene looks at the patient’s face and surely she has no idea who it is, she’ll bet thousand dollars on not seeing that face before. 

 

“He has been demanding your presence ever since he got pushed here. Damn, I’m not gonna operate someone like him.” Sehun distastefully says, overly hurt that some stubborn patient declined his help because that doesn’t happen around here. Sehun is the go-to popular doctor and everyone wants him, even the kids in the pediatric ward. 

 

Irene ignores the broken-hearted man to focus on the real broken blood coated man in front of her, “What’s the problem here?” 

 

The patient, Bogum, stares at her and smiles, “Doctor Irene!!! You’re here!”

 

“A car hit his bike pretty badly, and by the looks of it, he may have broken his left leg and his head is pretty banged up.” A newly nurse that Irene can’t remember the name of, reports. 

 

“Take him to the ER.” Irene commands, and the whole hall starts prepping, the nurses ready to stretch the man towards the ER but again for the love of god, he loudly wails like a dolphin.

 

“What now!?” Sehun snarls this time, because time is very futile for any medical staffs.

 

Bogum bats his eyelashes at Irene, “Does this mean I get a date with you?”

 

“Oh, he must have badly injured his tiny brain.” 

 

“Maybe we should refer him to the psych ward after operating him.” 

 

Irene sighs, not grasping what he meant, “You need medical attention and you’ll only get that from us. Your health is our priority.” 

 

“But Mrs.Bae told me this was the only way.”

 

The wheels starts to turn inside her head and her eyes widens at this new information, embarrassment taking over as every colleague in the room gapes at her. 

 

“You got into an accident for this!?” Irene’s voice pierces  through the white walls.

 

“Not exactly? But as soon as I realized I was injured, I told the passerby to call an ambulance precisely from your hospital.”

 

“I—” She’s left speechless, utterly shocked.

 

“You take the reins from here, Dr. Oh.”

 

Despite the whining, Irene heads back to her office once again knowing that the prick is in capable hands of Sehun. She furiously calls the mastermind behind all this with a maddening smile. 

 

“Oh!! Honey, wait—can you finish up making the remaining crepes? Joohyun called and I’m sure she’s wanting to share some increadible news with me—you still here, honey???”

 

Irene stops tapping her legs on the concrete floor, “Seriously mom?” 

 

“What’s got your in a twist? Did I use it properly? Yerim taught me this yesterday.” 

 

“You got a man into an accident so he could meet me!?” Irene lunges.

 

“I’m not the driver, honey.”

 

“You know what I mean!” Irene huffs.

 

“You declined meeting with him two times already, dear. What was I supposed to do when he asked for a way to get hold of you?”

 

“Anything that didn’t involve death experience, mom.” 

 

“I only mentioned that you’re too busy seein

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter