We used to be (Miqi🟠)

Gidle oneshots

prompt: Ex girlfriends forced to stay together

 

"I said no! I'm not going on that trip I can't be around her!" Shuhua sighed. "Yuqi please we're getting the gang back together one last time before Minnie and I move. Come on it'll be like old days. You remember when the six of us used to have so much fun together." Yuqi rolled her eyes. "Oh yeah you mean when you and Minnie would make out all day every day. Or when Miyeon and Soojin would make out? Cause that's what I remember!" Shuhua held the other woman's shoulders. "That only happened one time and they were drunk." Yuqi crossed her arms. "Well once was enough. If you remember that's why we broke up. I couldn't trust her anymore." Shuhua looked away. "Fine I guess if you don't want to go you don't have to..." Shuhua looked disappointed but didn't push anymore. Yuqi being the secret softly she was sighed. "I hate you. You better not leave me alone with her." 

 

The very next weekend they were piled into the back of Miyeon's van. The oldest of the group was driving. Minnie as usual in the front seat controlling the music with Soojin and Soyeon seated in the middle and The two youngest in the back. It was just like the old days. Miyeon kept glancing at Yuqi in the rearview mirror. "Okay!" Minnie chirped excitedly. "I know it's been a while since we've all been together. But I'm super excited for this trip. Thank you all for agreeing to come with us. Considering Shuhua and I will be moving home to Thailand next month." She winked at her wife in the back. "Why are y'all moving anyway? I thought you loved it here." Shuhua looked at Minnie they had a secret to tell and they were planning to do so on this trip. Shuhua nodded at Minnie signifying it would be okay if she told them. "Well about that... We wanted to be closer to family. Because..." She had a proud grin on her face. "Shuhua's pregnant!" Miyeon was the first to react looking back into the back row where Shuhua was sitting. "I knew she had gained weight..." Yuqi looked at the girl beside her first at her stomach and then at her face. "I didn't know Minnie had the ability to-" Shuhua cut her off. "No Woogs we went to a fertility doctor. I thought you were the smart one. What happened?" Soojin pouted mumbling about making Soyeon agree to move with them so she could be a proper aunt to the baby. 

 

Once everyone got over their shock they headed off to their destination. They spent the first few hours singing excitedly having fun together. But eventually one by one they fell asleep. Everyone but Miyeon of course. The oldest girls eyes swept across her friends in the rearview mirror. She couldn't help the smile that grew on her face. That is until her eyes landed on none other than Song Yuqi. She remembered like it was yesterday the day that Yuqi broke up with her. 

 

-Flashback- 

"I can't believe you'd do this to me! I trusted you!" Yuqi stomped impatiently. Miyeon had been drinking pretty heavily and was still working on sobering up. "Woogs it's..." She tried to stand but was to dizzy as she fell back where she was before. Yuqi rolled her eyes. "It's what? It's just that Soojin is hot and incredibly y and you couldn't help yourself? I know I'm not any of those things but I thought you loved me anyway!" Miyeon gently grabbed Yuqi's hand. "I do love you I love you so much I didn't mean to hurt you... She was sad from her breakup with Hui and I-" Yuqi tugged her hand away. "Stop! I don't want to hear about how you ended up with her! I hurt enough already don't you think?" Yuqi stared at the older girl for a moment the tears welling up in her eyes. Her voice came out quietly almost sounding as if she gave up. "I don't want to hear it... I'll put all your stuff in a box and leave it outside my dorm tomorrow. Don't bother trying to talk to me we're through here." Yuqi walked out of the room leaving Miyeon on the floor crying. "Yuqi please..." Her voice was hoarse. 

 

The truth was Miyeon and Soojin didn't actually kiss. Yes Yuqi had found them in a compromising position with Soojin on her lap straddling her. But the two hadn't been kissing. Miyeon had been trying to comfort her friend and pulled her into her lap to hug her. She knew a simple gesture like that was enough to help Soojin. So she held the girl close and let her cry til she couldn't anymore and fell asleep. Yuqi walked in as Miyeon was waking her up she had her by the shoulders pushing her forward just enough to see her face. Her hand was on her chin carefully wiping the smudged lipstick from where her face was pressed into Miyeons shoulder. The last straw was a matching red smudge on the oldest shoulder. That was enough evidence for Yuqi to know they must have been doing something wrong. 

 

Miyeon tried several times to explain everything to Yuqi but the girl just wouldn't listen. And that's how she ended up so many times crying in Soojin's dorm room. One evening Yuqi couldn't handle the cold that she felt without the older womans warm arms wrapped around her as she slept. She made her way to her dorm room with the intention of finally hearing her out after weeks of ignoring her. She was about to knock on her door when just down the hall she saw Miyeon exiting Soojins room. She watched with clenched fists as Soojin came out after her. They were surely seeing each other now she had no doubts. 

-End of flashback-

 

Miyeon had never actually gotten over Yuqi. She dated a few people after but no one made her feel like the Chinese girl had. No one would fight with her because they cared when she did dumb stuff. No one would react so well to her teasing. No one would stay up late with her watching dramas til they fell asleep in her lap. No one was Yuqi or even close to her. Eventually she gave up. Eight years and about fifteen failed relationships later and she still was not Over Yuqi. She sighed softly. "Stop that you're thinking to loudly." An unmistakable groggy voice cut through the silence as Yuqi sat up slowly. She rubbed her eyes stretching a bit. "We should stop soon you look tired. " Miyeon shook her head. "I'm fine we've only got a few more hours til we're there." Yuqi raised an eyebrow. "Miyeon you need sleep. Pull over at the next rest stop and I'll take over." Miyeon shook her head stubbornly. "I'm fine." Yuqi clicked her tongue annoyed. "So you haven't changed huh? Still putting yourself through unnecessary things? You need to sleep I won't take no for an answer." Miyeon looked at her through the rearview. She recognized the look on the womans face and knew she wouldn't budge on the subject. "What if I can't sleep?" Yuqi tilted her head a bit. "Still can't sleep without someone holding you? You should've brought your girlfriend." Miyeon smiled sadly. "I don't have one. Haven't dated in months. I gave up." Yuqi looked surprised but just nodded. "Still you should try to sleep if you take my seat I'm sure Shuhua will cuddle you. You know how she is." Miyeon nodded slowly. "Fine." She prepared to pull over at the stop ahead of them. 

 

Everyone was getting comfortable again Yuqi was driving and Miyeon had moved to the back seat. As predicted she couldn't fall asleep. She tried desperately just leaning back with her eyes closed in hopes that it would happen. Yuqi sat in the front seat driving. She hadn't paid much attention to anything about the car beforehand but as she was now the one driving she realized she knew this van well. It was the one she had worked with Miyeons mom to find for Miyeon for her twenty first birthday. 

 

-Flashback- 

"This is it her dream car..." Yuqi had heard from Miyeon many times how she wanted a classic VW van. They were extremely expensive and hard to find but here she was. Yuqi looked at the older Korean woman beside her. "Mrs.Cho this is it. It just needs a little work..." Mrs.Cho nodded with a sigh. "Yuqi dear I think it will cost to much to fix... Maybe we should keep looking?" Yuqi shook her head. "I'll do it! My dad taught me stuff about cars I know how to do most things. Please can we get this one for her?" Mrs.Cho looked at Yuqi she saw the look of determination and knew if anyone could get this thing running it would be Yuqi. She knew that Yuqi would do anything for her daughter and wouldn't stop til it was safe as well. "Fine but promise me you won't hurt yourself with this." Yuqi nodded excitedly. "Thank you!" 

 

And just like that for the next four months Yuqi spent all of her free time on the van. She did all the research she needed to get it running as well as bought all the parts she would need. It was the day before Miyeons birthday and Yuqi just needed to add the finishing touches. She painted on a few white flowers on the car knowing it was something Miyeon would love. She cleaned a bit of dust from the mirrors and made sure the green paint looked good. She took the key and attached the keychain she'd had made for it. It was a small picture of the two of them on their first date. Miyeon had kissed Yuqi on the cheek and the younger woman was blushing deeply. "Perfect. She's gonna love it." She called Mrs.Cho. "It's ready should I bring it now?" It was eight at night. "Yes of course. Tell me when you get here and I'll send her out." Yuqi was confused. "Are you not going to be the one to give it to her? It's your present to her." Mrs.Cho laughed softly. "Yuqi dear you put plenty of time and money into it you can take credit for it too." 

 

Yuqi began driving the van twords Miyeons house. She texted Mrs.Cho as soon as she got there. "Miyeon honey. "There's a surprise for you outside I think you should go see what it is." Miyeon stood up a confused look on her face. "What is it?" She began to walk outside. There she saw an old VW van painted a beautiful mint green with white flowers decorating it. Suddenly the door opened and Yuqi stepped out. "Tahdah!" Miyeon began to tear up as she ran to the younger girl kissing her immediately. That night was one of the best nights of her life. Yuqi would never forget the look on Miyeon's face that night or how for the first time she had stayed at the older girls house over night and had been allowed to sleep in a warm relaxing hug.

-End of flashback-

 

The van was old it still ran well enough but it definitely needed a new paint job. Why had Miyeon never painted over it? She tried to focus on the road as she knew they were close to their destination. All along the way memories of the two of them playing in the back of her head. this would be a long week. 

 

Soon they arrived at a house on the beach. Miyeon let them in and the lights. No one has been here in years. "It's basically exactly how I remember it." Minnie said. Miyeon nodded. "This is actually my first time being here since... Y'know..." She smiled sadly and Soojin and Minnie both hugged her. Yuqi looked confused. "Wait what happened?" Miyeons eyes flickered to Yuqi and she realized for the first time that Yuqi didn't know. Miyeon's eyes softened as she knew Yuqi and her mother had been close. "Yuqi... Mom died two years ago... I tried to call you but I didn't really have a way..." Yuqi's eyes widened and she felt her knees go weak. She plopped down on the couch. Miyeon bit her lip. She wanted to go to her side and try to comfort her. She couldn't could she? Just as she made up her mind to Shuhua was already there. Her best friend would make her feel better. She really didn't need Miyeon at all anymore. 

 

Yuqi finally calmed down as Shuhua had pulled her into her lap and was holding her whispering calming things to her. She looked up at the woman and chuckled through her tears. "You're gonna be a great mom." She said in Mandarin. Shuhua smiled and nudged her also speaking in Mandarin. "Minnie and I have been reading lots of books." Soojin stood up and looked around. "I guess this is my que to go get dinner started?" She exited the room with Soyeon following her. Minnie took her bags along with Shuhuas to one of the rooms with Miyeons help. "Hey wait Miyeon there's only three bedrooms. What are we gonna do? If you don't want to share with Yuqi I guess she and Shuhua can sleep together." Miyeon shook her head and smiled. "No I won't let you and your wife sleep part just to make me comfortable. I'll sleep on the couch Yuqi can have the bed. Minnie furrowed her brows. "You know she won't go for that right?" Miyeon shrugged. "We'll figure it out." She went back to grab Soojin and Soyeons stuff to put in their room. "Yuqi that last room is yours." Yuqi widened her eyes. "Wait are we..." Miyeon shook her head. "No no it's just your room. Don't worry I won't intrude." Yuqi scratched her head a little. "What about you? Last I check there are only three rooms." Miyeon smiled and nodded. "I'll be sleeping on the couch." The younger woman shook her head. "No you can't that'll hurt your back. You should have the room anyway it's your house." Miyeon smiled at her. "And you're the guest so you're taking the room. I won't argue with you." Yuqi crossed her arms. "But Miyeon You'll be sore from sleeping in here!" Miyeon countered. "And you won't?" Yuqi rolled her eyes. "It doesn't matter if I hurt it matters if you do!" Miyeon looked confused. "Well I care if you get hurt. I don't want you getting hurt." Yuqi stomped. "And I care about if you get hurt. So you take the bedroom." Shuhua stood from the couch and got between them. "You could share the room. One week sharing a room won't kill anyone." Miyeon looked at Yuqi and shook her head. "I don't want to make her uncomfortable I can't do that to her." She left the house going twords the beach. 

 

-Flashback-

"Cho.Mi.Yeon. Get over here!" Yuqi stomped her foot. "I'm gonna sleep on the floor. It's fine the floor is plenty comfy." Yuqi glared at her. "No you're sleeping on the bed. I'll sleep on the floor. You're the oldest you should get it." Yuqi snatched her pillow and put it on the floor. "I'm not sleeping in the bed without you." Yuqi rolled her eyes. "Maybe if you would take better care of yourself we wouldn't be in this fight!" Miyeon sighed. "It wasn't that bad." Yuqi crossed her arms. "Not that bad? Miyeon you broke your arm. Which is another reason you need the bed and why I'll be sleeping on the floor." Miyeon looked down. "I won't be able to sleep anyway so you might as well take the bed." Yuqi looked confused. "What do you mean?" Miyeon shrugged not wanting to answer but she glanced and saw the look on Yuqi's face knowing she wouldn't let it go. "I can't sleep without someone with me... it's stupid and embarrassing..." Yuqi stared at her with an unreadable expression. Suddenly Yuqi laid on the bed with her arms open. Miyeon looked confused. "Come on get in bed. I'm still mad at you but I'm not gonna let you go without sleep cause I'm mad." Miyeon pouted. "You don't have to d-" Yuqi glared at her. "Cho Miyeon just get in bed." Miyeon picked up Yuqi's pillow from the floor and climbed into bed beside her. She teared up a bit looking at her but Yuqi pulled her closer making her tuck her face into her shoulder. "I still love you and care about you no matter how mad I get. You know that right?" Miyeon nodded hugging her tightly. "And nothing will ever change that." Miyeon looked at her. "Promise?" Yuqi nodded and kissed her forehead.

-End of flashback-

 

Yuqi sighed and plopped down on the couch crossing her arms. Shuhua didn't know what to do so she went to the kitchen with Soyeon and Soojin Minnie following behind. 

 

An hour and a half passed and Yuqi was hurriedly putting her shoes on. "What if she's hurt!? You know how she is!" Soojin pulled her away from the door. "Yuqi what are you going to accomplish going out there in the dark by yourself?" Yuqi shook her head. "I don't know but I can't leave her out there like that. I won't." Soojin sighed. "Yuqi I-" Yuqi's face turned an angry red color as she stared at her friends. "I still love her okay! I never stopped loving her. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna leave her out there on the cold dark beach by herself!" She stomped out leaving her friends behind shocked by her addmission. 

 

Yuqi cupped her hands around as she yelled. "Miyeon where are you?" She walked hurriedly. "Miyeon!" Suddenly she felt something on her shoulder. She turned to see Miyeon looking at her confused. "What's wrong is everything okay?" The older girl asked. Yuqi stared at her in shock. "You've been gone for so long and your phone kept going to voicemail!" Miyeon pulled her phone out not even realizing it had died. "Sorry I didn't-" She was cut off by Yuqi pulling her into a crushing hug. "You scared me... Don't do that again... We can share the bed I'll be fine." Miyeon shook her head. "Hey I know you still hate me b-" Yuqi crossed her arms. "I don't hate you. I've never hated you. Remember my promise?" Miyeon nodded looking at her. "You'd always love and care about me..." Yuqi nodded. "And I do. Just cause you broke my heart and I don't trust you anymore doesn't mean I don't love you." Miyeon looked away. "Yuqi I..." Yuqi saw a bench nearby and walked to it. "I guess I'm ready to hear about it go on." She patted the seat beside her. 

 

Miyeon began to tell the story. "The reason we went to that party was cause Soojin texted me and told me she needed to get drunk. She wouldn't tell me why at first. Hui cheated on her and she found out when she caught him with another girl. I was just trying to comfort her we didn't kiss I promise. She was in my lap cause I was hugging her but I was to dizzy to stand... I wouldn't do that to you." Yuqi looked at her. She stared into her eyes trying to see if she was lieing. "You couldn't have found a less suspicious position?" Miyeon pouted. "I was drunk Woogie I was only thinking about ways to hurt Hui and cheesy lines to use on you." Yuqi gently nudged her. "And what about when I tried to go talk to you a few weeks later huh? I saw you coming out of Soojins dorm." Miyeon tilted her head. "She was heartbroken I was heartbroken. We were watching movies eating ice cream and crying together. You didn't notice that I'd gained weight?" Yuqi looked at her and teared up a bit. "I was so stupid..." Miyeon cupped her cheek. "Hey hey don't say that I don't like it when you say bad stuff about yourself." Yuqi let her tears fall. "We missed out on so much together because of me." Miyeon kissed her forehead not wanting to be to forward and assume that she could do more. "Listen to me Woogs. We grew as people in these eight years. And I learned that no one could ever make me feel loved you you did." Yuqi hugged her tightly crying into her shoulder. "I missed you so much. No matter how many dates. No one got on my nerves like you." Miyeon chuckled. "I've always known how to annoy my Woogs... Come on lets get back to the beach house. We gotta make sure Mom sees her last hopes come true." Yuqi tilted her head. "The entire time since we broke up she was asking me when I was going to go make up with you. She said she missed my Yuqi smile." She smiled sadly. 

 

-Flashback-

"Is Yuqi joining us for Christmas this year?" Miyeon sighed and looked at the older woman. "Mom we haven't even spoken in two years. She hates my guts. There's no way she will come to Christmas." Mrs.Cho clicked her tongue. "That girl has stood by your side for years and even rebuilt a van for you. You should keep trying maybe she's ready to listen." Her mom held up the knife she was using to slice the food. "Unless you've got something to tell me Cho Miyeon. You didn't actually cheat on her right? I'll make sure you regret it." Miyeon rolled her eyes. "I didn't but good to know she's your favorite." She rolled her eyes. 

-End of flashback-

 

The two made their way back to the house hand in hand. From the porch Shuhua spotted them. "Are they holding hands? They're holding hands! It worked!" Shuhua did a happy dance. "I can't believe it worked!" Soyeon tilted her head. "What worked?" Minnie smirked. "Were not really moving we just needed an excuse to get them together so they could make up. We wouldn't leave you guys behind. You're our family too." Miyeon and Yuqi walked into the house Miyeon holding the door for the younger woman. "Come on I'll take our stuff to our room." Yuqi pouted. "I'll help!" Miyeon shook her head. "Let me I've got lots of time of being a gentlewoman to make up for." They were gonna get back together and they were gonna be fine. 

 

Note: I think I would love to explore this story concept later. Maybe with a ship I'm better at?