Park Jieun

Seven Makes One

Jieun’s  POV

 

“Great, just great. My first day of my 3rd year in school and I have months worth of detention already.”

 

“Hey it could be worse you know.” I heard a voice come from beside me.

 

That's right the adorable 1st year student beside me also got roped into detention. I feel bad considering this is just her first year and she was wrongly given detention alongside me. She looks rather familiar but I can’t figure out why.

 

“Anyways my name is Sujin and you can probably already tell I’m a 1st year student.” She said with a bright  smile. Even with a month of detention under her belt on the first day of class she seems so cheerful. 

 

“Right. My name is Jieun and I’m a 3rd year student. Listen I feel bad that you got roped up in this mess and I’ll make it up to you however I can but I have to ask. Why did you help me? If you just ignored me you wouldn’t be in this situation with me.”

 

*Flashback*

 

I was putting some of my books in my locker when my bullies decided to slam my locker shut.

 

“Well well well if it isn’t our favorite little pet.” I heard from the all to familiar voice.

 

“Come on guys, it's the first day of class. Can you just give me a break?” I sighed hoping they’d let me off easy though deep down I knew they wouldn’t.

 

“What was that runt? You want a break today? Didn’t realize how bold you got over break.” They taunted with venom leaking in their voices.

 

I was about  to try and walk away when they shoved me against my locker knocking the wind out of me. They were about to do it again when a 1st year student who was about my height came inbetween us.

 

“Hey leave her alone she wasn’t doing anything to you guys.” She told them sternly with a hint of ferocity in her voice.

 

“Your just a 1st year student so you should know your place before we-”

 

“Hey there's a teacher coming over. Quick think of something to cover this up!”

 

*End flashback*

 

She looked at me like I was insane. Her eyes went wide and dropped open. I have to admit it was pretty cute. It makes me want to protect her like she was my daughter. 

 

“You're joking right? You really think I was gonna stand by and watch them bully you? The only reason we’re in this mess was because they slapped eachother and framed us for it.” She told  me with astonishment in her voice that I even asked such a question.

 

“I only say that because it’s what I’m used to. Everyone has always ignored it and people only ever talk to me when they need help since I’m the school's top student.” I told her which is true. No one ever talks to me because they want to be my friend, it's because they need me for something.

 

“That's a bull reason for them to ignore you but I’m telling you now next time stand up for yourself. Oftentimes bullies target people they feel jealous of.” She  had confidence in her voice this time. I can only wish I had half as much of her confidence.

 

“Right. Ok. Anyways here we are, this is the classroom for detention. The teacher isn’t here yet but she’ll probably be here soon so we can relax for a bit before she shows up.”

 

Yuki’s POV

 

*Talking to herself*

 

“Well that's a record for me. I’ve never gotten detention on my first day of class. Though this time it wasn’t entirely my fault. I warned to watch what he said but he continued to push my buttons.”

 

*Flashback*

 

“Alright Yuki just remember to keep your eye on the ball.” The coach informed me. I was laser focused on the pitcher in the blink of an eye the ball was flying towards me. As I started to swing I heard something from the sidelines.

 

“And strike one.” 

 

I lost my focus and swung the bat wide, missing the ball by a long shot. It took no time for the same guy to comment again.

 

“Damn girl you at this, why are you even trying out for the team?” He laughs.

 

I tried to ignore him but once again he had to make a comment that caused me to miss the ball again.

 

“You swing like a girl. I suggest you try out for a different sport. Maybe volleyball? That seems more like something for you.” He smirks while laughing at his blatant ism.

 

“Oi one more tist joke like that and you’ll regret it buddy.” 

 

I readied myself once more trying to keep focus.

 

“Aww the little girl is angry but I guess that's to be expected. She's probably on that time of the month anyways.”

 

“Ok that's it I tried to warn and for the record you probably shouldn’t piss off someone who’s holding a bat.” I tell him with barely contained rage.

 

“Oh and what are you gonna do with that bat? Hit me? You’d have to be in front of me for that.”

 

Unfortunately for him he didn’t realize just how good my aim is or how strong of a throwing arm I actually have. Makes me wonder how bad his black eye is gonna be.

 

*End flashback*

 

“Well it’s only a month's worth of detention. Hmmm there's already two other people here. Isn’t that the school’s top student? How’d she get detention? And who’s the 1st year next to her?” I thought to myself.

 

Either way I couldn’t care less how or why the top student has detention and how a 1st year managed to get detention on the first day of class. The fastest I got detention was after a week during my first year. Anyways it's time to deal with detention for a month.

 

Dosie’s POV

 

I may not be popular among the students at school but I definitely have a reputation with the teachers. They all know it's a normal yet unintentional habit of mine to fall asleep in class. Most teachers don’t care. I always ace the class anyways and a handful while annoyed with it don’t go this far. Looks like I got unlucky this year and got a teacher who really doesn’t like it when students fall asleep in class but I feel a month of detention is going a little far.

 

*Flashback*

 

While I was waiting for the teacher to arrive I started to doze off every now and then. I fought to stay awake but it was no use.

 

“Damn it I’m tired, where the hell is the teacher? I’m starting to fall asleep.” I thought to myself.

 

I tend to be ignored by everyone so I don’t have friends. I fell asleep quite quickly after that and eventually I woke up to the sound of people trying to hold in their laughter. I heard others snickering and as I looked around I noticed others looking at something in front of me. I turned my head and saw what the students were looking at. The teacher.

 

“Eunseong, right? You want to explain to me why you were sleeping just now?”

 

“H-huh?” was the only thing that came out of my mouth.

 

I’m not good with confrontation and this situation is making me nervous.

 

“You heard me. Why are you sleeping in my class?”

 

“I’m s-sorry I promise I wasn’t t-trying to.” I said, trying not to stutter.

 

“Mhmm, very likely. Listen, I don't care if you pass your exams in the end or not, you're going to deal with the consequences of sleeping in my class.”

 

*End flashback*

 

Goeun’s POV

 

“I swear some teachers are way too arrogant for their good. Like I’m sorry sir I wasn’t trying to insult you I was just trying to correct a simple error you made.” I ranted to myself

 

The teacher in question was for math class and apparently he doesn’t take too kindly to people pointing out mistakes that he’s made.

 

“This is such a bull reason to get detention for.” I say simmering on the inside at the mere thought of the scene.

 

*Flashback*

 

“And that's how you determine whether or not a function is continuous.”

 

After I solved the problem and double checked it I was certain my answer was correct. A few students asked me for help and after a quick re-explanation they yielded the same answer as me. Shortly after the teacher called time and wrote the answer on the board. Almost immediately I noticed he made a mistake and pointed it out to him.

 

“Um sir I’m afraid you've made a slight mistake. You're saying that the function is continuous but if you have the correct answer then the function shouldn’t be continuous because it has a hole in  the graph.”

 

“That's not true the graph doesn’t have a hole in it therefore it's a continuous function.”

 

“Clearly not after you solve the equation the resulting graph has a hole in point (-3, -6).” I told him

 

“I don’t have time for this. See me after class Goeun. Your behaviour is horrible.”

 

*End Flashback*

 

As I walked into the detention class room I saw 4 other students already there. I’m pretty sure the 3rd year that's talking with the 1st year is the top student of our school. How the hell she ended up in here is beyond me considering the teachers that know her all love her. I noticed another 3rd year in the class but I’m pretty she's sleeping and there’s a 2nd year staring outside the window at the baseball field.

 

Ireh’s POV

 

“Ugh that teacher was no fun.”

 

“Ya she clearly has no idea how to take a joke.” said my childhood best friend with an annoyed tone.

 

Chaein and I are known through the school as the inseparable duo who always cause trouble. In a way they’re not wrong. We just received a month of detention for a prank we pulled on our teacher. Detention is nothing new to us however as we typically get detention on a monthly basis anyways.

 

“Teachers like her are the worst. We didn't even do anything that bad.” I say while recalling what landed us in this position in the first place.

 

*Flashback*

 

“Hey Chaein, I got an idea to prank the teacher.”

 

“Ooooo come on spill don’t leave me hanging.” she said with her eyes already sparkling.

 

“I have a roll of clear tape in my bag. What do you say we confuse the teacher for a bit with an invisible barrier that her head won’t pass through.” I tell her with a devilish grin on my face.

 

“Let's do it!” She responds excitedly.

 

After a quick few minutes the barrier was complete. It was aimed specifically for her head and we made sure to reinforce the edges where the tape was connected so it wouldn’t come off easily. As the teacher walked in she was immediately met with the tape. Unfortunately for her  she walked in a little too quickly and landed flat on her back. After a few seconds she spoke.

 

“Seo Young? Chaeyoung?” The teacher called to us with slight irritation in her voice.

 

“Yes teach?” Chaein responded while trying to hold back her laughter.

 

The rest of the students were also trying to refrain from laughing both from the prank and also because of how Chaein responded to the teacher.

 

“You're both gonna regret that prank.” She told us while still laying on the floor and looking at the ceiling.

 

*End flashback*

 

“At least the prank was funny. The class almost completely lost it after she fell over.” She says laughing all over again.

 

“Ya ya it was great, now go inside I want to get out of here as soon as possible.” I told her with a smile on my face.

 

As we walked in we saw a 3rd year student with long hair that was dyed a brillant purple color.

 

“Hey Chaein…Doesn’t that 3rd year with the purple hair seem kinda…familiar?” I asked

 

“Hmm in a way but I think we both would remember meeting someone with purple hair like hers.”