# 4

Magician
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"This is incredible."

Hyukjae looks up. He's on the floor. He just made a huge poster calendar. Because Donghae asked for it.

"Is it what you wanted?" Hyukjae says. He's grinning proudly. His legs kick lightly in the air.

"It's exactly what I wanted," Donghae says

He lies on his stomach too. Right beside him. They're wearing their matching PJ sets. Hyukjae's are lime green. Donghae's are pink. It was Hyukjae's choice.

Donghae's brought his markers. His notebook. He flips through it to the right month. Hyukjae shifts closer.

"You look so cute," he whispers. Kisses Donghae's cheek.

Donghae smiles. Warm and pleased. He pecks Hyukjae's lips.

"So do you, Hyukkie." He hands one marker to him. "Now. You're gonna write down what you need to do throughout the week, and I'll write down what I have to. You can put in the time too."

"Okay," Hyukjae says. "Why are we doing this?"

"Because," Donghae says. He chuckles at how Hyukjae looks. Adorably confused. "I've got some meetings I need to schedule, so I want to make sure I'm not away when you're doing something important."

Hyukjae blinks. "Like... a doctor's appointment?"

"Yeah."

"But you mean when... when they're going to use needles?"

Donghae chuckles. Kisses his cheek.

"Yes. I'd like to be there with you."

"To hold my hand."

"Yes."

"Mama Park holds my hand and Papa Park held my hand too."

"Okay, so it's my turn."

Hyukjae giggles. "I'm not gonna cry anymore so I don't need my hand held. I'm a pro now."

"Well, I'm gonna hold your hand anyway," Donghae says.

Because according to Leeteuk: Hyukjae cries a lot before. Or he cries a lot after. But he definitely cries. It makes Donghae's heart clench.

"Okay," Hyukjae says. Smiles. He fills in a block on the calendar. Mama Saeron 2pm. Then he gasps. Turns to Donghae. "Hae!"

"What? Oh, your writing is so neat -- do you want to write mine too?"

"Oh!" Hyukjae's eyes light up. He takes Donghae's marker. "Of course! You have gym at the same time I'm seeing Mama Saeron, right?"

"That's right," Donghae says. He rests his head on his arm. Watches Hyukjae. His full cheeks. Protruding lips. The delicate way he writes. "What were you going to say, Hyukkie?"

"Oh, right! Hae, I don't know when I'm going to the doctor because when I cried a lot, a-and the Parks told me how important it is to get my shots, we decided that they'd never tell me because I'd get too scared to go! So they just take me out and we go for ice cream or the river or we go to the mall -- it's always a surprise! So then I can't come running home to hide because it will worry you and I don't want you to worry about me and miss your work so this way, if I find out just minutes before, I'd have to toughen up and take it and hope it's over fast!"

Donghae closes his eyes. Sighs.

"Hyukjae..." he says. "Please don't worry about worrying me..."

"Why?" Hyukjae pouts.

"Because I worry anyway," Donghae says.

"But that's not good!" Hyukjae says. Moves closer. Shoves his head into Donghae's chest. Donghae falls on his back. Laughs and holds him.

"Why's that not good, baby?"

"It's just not good," Hyukjae mumbles.

Donghae his hair.

"Okay, but Hyukkie, I called Mrs. Park and I know when your appointments are. With the needles."

Hyukjae raises himself.

"You do? B-But you can't tell me!"

"Yeah, I know," Donghae says. Hyukjae won't sleep for days if he knows. Donghae moves Hyukjae gently. Pecks his lips. Turns to the calendar again. "That's why we're doing this. I'm gonna have to find the time to take you out and then surprise you with a doctor's visit, so you never see it coming. Wait--" He glances at Hyukjae. "Do you not feel worried whenever the Parks take you out, then? Like, anytime they're here, it could be for the doctor?"

"No..." Hyukjae shakes his head. "Or um, a little, but we have so much fun and we do a lot of things so I forget about it."

Donghae laughs. He has to pinch his cheek. "Oh, you're so funny."

Hyukjae's pouty lips fatten though. He blinks away. To the calendar.

"Baby?"

Hyukjae mumbles something.

"I'm sorry?"

Hyukjae looks back at him. "But Hae, you can't take me out like the Parks do all the time! Papa Park doesn't work everyday and Mama Park doesn't work all day, so they can do it. But you said you have to work at least five hours everyday so you don't fall behind! At least! You said you have to send work to the author!"

"W-Well, yes, I did say that, but it's not... a definite rule," Donghae mutters. "I could work three hours and then work seven hours another day--"

"But Hae! Then we can't cook dinner together and watch movies together and then you can't sleep in on the weekend or go out!"

"It's just a few days here and there," Donghae reassures. "We'll order food, Hyukkie, it's okay, I'll figure it out--"

"But you still have to cook your protein shakes!" Hyukjae says. "I don't know how to cook protein shakes! You won't have time!"

Donghae laughs again. "I don't cook the protein shakes. It's a blender, Hyukkie, it just mixes things--"

"I-I know what it is," Hyukjae says. He blinks at the calendar. His cheeks have reddened. His ears too. "I m-meant... I don't know how to mix it -- but I can learn! Yeah, I'll... learn how to..."

"I know you can learn," Donghae says. He brushes Hyukjae's hair back. His brows are furrowed. "But you don't have to. I'm sure I'll have time to cook my protein shakes."

He doesn't get a smile out of Hyukjae. The other's chewing on his lip. He's written down a few more notes. He looks through Donghae's agenda. 

"Baby..." Donghae says. "Is there anything... you want to tell me?"

Hyukjae glances at him. Quickly shakes his head.

"N-No..." Hyukjae says. "Why?"

Donghae scoots closer. Takes his marker. Closes the cap.

"Hyukkie..." Donghae says softly. "Remember when I called you after I left my brother's house?"

"O-Oh... when Koongie couldn't poop?"

"Yeah," Donghae says. "You said you wanted to tell me many t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter