Part 2 (Momo)

Going Back to You

Note: All the words in italic are Momo's thoughts.


Buzz buzz buzz

The sound of Momo's cell phone woke her from her sleep. The phone had been ringing for the past five minutes.  Momo didn't know what had happened to make her phone keep ringing like that.

She reached for her cell phone which she placed beside her pillow.  With her half-opened eyes, she unlock her cellphone and found so many messages that came in.  She wondered why her friends were sending her so many messages.  She then opened her chatroom with Jeongyeon and read one by one the messages she had sent.

Momo!
Where are you?

Nayeon has arrived at the park!
Did you overslept?
Hey, wake up!

Momo finally remembered that she had to meet Nayeon at the park. She immediately left her cellphone on the bed and changed her clothes as quickly as possible. Then, she came out of her house and ran using her power so she wouldn’t be so late.

". Why did I oversleep?” Momo thought.

When Momo arrived at the park, she found Nayeon sitting alone on a bench. Nayeon was busy spamming their group chat at that time.  Momo knew that because her cell phone wouldn't stop ringing.

Before approaching Nayeon, Momo decided to buy a cup of strawberry ice cream. Then, she walked towards Nayeon.  Nayeon was still too busy with her cellphone to not notice Momo's presence.

Momo wanted to say call Nayeon at that time. However, she didn't do it in the end because she noticed there was a small leaf on the chocolate ice cream beside Nayeon. Momo quickly replaced that ice cream with the ice cream she just bought. Then, she grab that small leaf and threw it so she could eat that chocolate ice cream.

Nayeon just realized the Momo's presence when she heard a cellphone ringing as she sent her chats to their group. So, she turned her gaze forward.

"Momo! Why don't you say something?! I thought you were a ghost!” Nayeon scolded Momo. However, Momo paid no heed to it. She just smiled and fed herself with a spoonful of chocolate ice cream.

Seeing Momo eating that chocolate ice cream reminded Nayeon of her ice cream that she put beside her earlier. She thought about eating it again. So, she looked at her ice cream and realized something was strange.

"This is.. not my ice cream," Nayeon said then glanced at Momo.

Nayeon's chocolate ice cream suddenly turned into a strawberry ice cream. Nayeon knew that this was clearly someone's doing. Nayeon knew Momo did it because she saw Momo was eating a chocolate ice cream.

"Why did you eat my ice cream?!"  Nayeon asked.

"They had run out of chocolate ice cream. So, I didn’t get a chance to buy it," Momo lied. She didn't want to tell the truth. Why? Because she didn't want to show how she cared about Nayeon.

"So, you stole it from me?" Nayeon looked furious.

"I didn't steal it. Look! I replace it with that strawberry ice cream,” Momo replied, pointing at the strawberry ice cream.

Nayeon rolled her eyes when she heard that answer.  “But these are two different things!”

"What's different?  Isn't that ice cream too?"  Momo replied.

Nayeon didn't want to continue this conversation anymore because she knew they would never finish arguing.  Nayeon chose to change the topic of their conversation.

“Why did you come late? Have you lost your power?” Nayeon asked.

“I didn’t want to use it.  So, I walked casually,” Momo lied again. She didn't want to tell Nayeon that she overslept.

“And let your friend waiting alone?” Nayeon said sarcastically.

"Okay, I'm sorry," Momo said while looking down. She was really sorry.

"At least you came.  I don’t think the others want to come even though they are the ones who made the plan" Nayeon said while looking at her cellphone.

Nayeon didn’t know the real plan. Their seven friends planned to make Momo and Nayeon spend some time alone. They hope that Momo could ask Nayeon to be her prom date with this opportunity.

"I bet they are preparing themselves for tomorrow's test," Momo told her third lie.

“But they said they would take a rest before the test!”

"They must be panicking because they haven't studied at all," Momo said and laughed.  "You don't have to wait for them anymore. Let's go!"  Momo gave her hand to Nayeon. Nayeon grabbed it and held it tightly. Then, she stood up and walked with Momo.

Nayeon and Momo wandered around the park without any thoughts. They just chatted as they walked while holding hands. They talked about almost everything, from school matters to talking about their friends. They continued talking until Momo spotted a ramyeon shop not far from the park.

"I am hungry. Let's eat there," Momo said.

"I just ate ramyeon yesterday," Nayeon said.

"Ah come on.." Momo said with a pitiful face.  Nayeon couldn't resist Momo when she showed such a face. Momo knew that her pitiful face was one of Nayeon's weaknesses.

They left the park and visited the ramyeon shop that Momo had pointed at earlier. The ramyeon shop wasn't that crowded so Nayeon and Momo found an empty table easily. They then ordered three bowls of ramyeon, two for Momo and one for Nayeon.

"Are you sure you can finish those ramyeon?" Nayeon asked.

"Of course. I'm really hungry right now," Momo lied again. Actually, she wanted to buy time. So, she could ask Nayeon to be her prom date in that span time.

"Okay, eat a lot. You need a lot of energy for tomorrow's running test."

"Speaking of the test.. are you ready for that?"

"I don't know.. I don't think my ability are improving," Nayeon replied. She seemed pretty down.

"Don’t worry about it. The more you think about it, the less confident you become." Momo knew how Nayeon was so worried about this. It also worried her.

Momo changed the topic of their conversation because she didn't want Nayeon to feel down.  Nayeon also didn’t want to discuss tomorrow's test anymore. She didn't want to imagine what would happen next day.

After they talked for a while, their food finally came. They no longer continued their conversation. They chose to focus on eating their food. Silence fell over them, but that didn't make them awkward. They are used to something like this.

Even though she had enough time, she still couldn't ask Nayeon to be her prom date.  She was too worried that Nayeon would reject her.  Her heart kept pounding at the thought of how she would ask Nayeon.

"I heard there are couple bike rentals around here," Momo started the conversation after finishing her meal. She wanted to buy time again.

"You want to ride a bike?"  Nayeon asked.

"Yes! I really want to try a couple bike," Momo answered excitedly.

"You want to ride a couple bike with me?"  Nayeon asked again.

"No, I want to ride a couple bike with that man," Momo replied, pointing to a man sitting outside the ramyeon shop.  "Of course I want to ride it with you, Nayeon."

"I'm too lazy to ride a bike. Just ride it yourself," Nayeon replied.

"Come on, Nayeon .." Momo showed her pitiful face again. Nayeon also couldn’t resist it.

Momo and Nayeon exited the ramyeon shop and walked towards the bicycle rental place.  Along the way Momo and Nayeo saw many people riding couple bicycles. Momo began to imagine how she and Nayeon would ride a couple bike later. Her heart was pounding.

"Are you ready?"  Momo asked after successfully renting a couple bike.  She stood beside the bicycle while holding it tightly.

"You ride it first," Nayeon said while standing behind Momo. Momo followed Nayeon's words. After that, Nayeon rode the back of the bicycle.

Momo really enjoyed riding the bike.  Did Nayeon feel the same? Momo wondered.  She didn't know if Nayeon enjoyed her time with her as much as she did.  She also wondered if Nayeon ever thought of her as a potential love interest like she did.

"Nayeon, hold tight," Momo said. Suddenly Momo used her powers for a few seconds while pedaling the bicycle. Their bike move so fast because of that.  Nayeon clearly became annoyed with what Momo did.

“MOMO!!  What are you doing?!"  Nayeon hit Momo from behind.

"We need a little adrenaline," Momo said and laughed. I am the one who need it. But in the end, she still cousln't ask Nayeon.

“I will finish you off after this!!” Nayeon hit Momo for several times.

After Momo and Nayeon rode the bicycle, Nayeon said that she wanted to go home because she wanted to practice for tomorrow's test. Momo also said that she wanted to go home. Finally, Momo took Nayeon home. That was something that happened quite rarely.

"You rarely want to take me home," Nayeon said.

"I just wanna walk to your house." Of course that was not the real reason.

"Is there something you want to talk about?"  Nayeon was trying to guess.

"Huh? Oh, nothing!  I really just want to go for a walk,” Momo panicked.

Momo really didn't say anything after that. She let Nayeon talked throughout their walk because she was too nervous to talk. After arriving in front of Nayeon's house, Momo said goodbye and left Nayeon. Momo hoped Nayeon didn't felt something was amiss.

Momo told her friends that she still couldn’t ask Nayeon to be her prom date.  She was too scared to face Nayeon's rejection.  Her friends understood what Momo was feeling.  They all cheered Momo up .

"Don’t worry. There is still time to ask her,"  Mina was calling Momo.

"I don't think I'll ever have the gut to ask her.." Momo replied.

"Will Nayeon come to watch you tomorrow?"  Mina asked.

"Maybe.. I hope you can come to watch me so I won't be too nervous if she also comes to watch me."

"Alright, I'll come."

The next day, Momo and others who have similar powers do their test on the sports field.  They were listening to a briefing from their teacher.  However, Momo didn't listen to their teacher well.  Her mind was filled with Nayeon. She kept imagining how Nayeon would react when she asked her to be her prom date.

Momo saw Mina coming to watch her. It calmed her down a bit. She then waited for her turn to take the test. She hoped she would do well this time.

"Momo," the teacher called. It signaled Momo's turn to run. Momo saw Nayeon on the sidelines with Mina. So, she waved at them.

“Momo, hwating!”  Mina shouted.

“Momo, if you run in under a second, I will treat you!” Nayeon shouted.

Momo got ready to run. Momo’s teacher then blew his whistle.  Momo ran as fast as she could using her power.  She tried to live up to Nayeon's expectations

"1.56 seconds" Momo's teacher said after Momo circled that field.  "You seem unfocused, Momo."

"Ah, I'm sorry," Momo said. , I was too nervous, Momo thought. She then walked to the sidelines and met her friends.

"Do you want me to hypnotize Mr. Kim?" Mina asked as Momo sat beside Mina.

"I can also rewind time," Nayeon said.

“Hey, are you guys crazy?!  I don't want to get suspended because of your actions," Momo replied and laughed.  "How was your test?"

"I feel like I didn't do my best during the test," Nayeon said then looking down.

Mina felt sympathy for her two friends. They both felt they didn't do their best on their tests.  Mina didn't know what to do to cheer up her two friends.

"Even if you don't feel like you're giving your best, your results aren't bad," Mina said after thinking for a long time. "Sorry I'm not good at cheering yo other people."

"It doesn't matter.  I don't really think about it," Momo said and smiled.

"Oh, Momo!"  Mina called then whispered in Momo's ear. "You should ask her now. I'll leave."

"Please pray for my luck," Momo said after Mina whispered to her.  Her voice was quite small when she said that, but Nayeon could still hear it.

After that, Mina suddenly stood up and said goodbye to them. She left them both on the sidelines.  Nayeon didn't understand what was going on.

"Nayeon," Momo called.  This made Nayeon turn her gaze to Momo.  "Have you got a partner for next week's prom?"

"Not yet.. I don't think I will get a partner," Nayeon replied and laughed.

"How about you become my partner?  I don't have a partner either.  At least we don't look pathetic,” Momo said and laughed too.

“I become your partner?  Oh no!  We'll be the weirdest couple," Nayeon replied while laughing.

"That’s true. We'll be the weirdest couple," Momo said while laugh too. Damn, that hurts so much.

After that time, Momo never discussed about prom with Nayeon again until the day of the prom.  Momo and Nayeon were the only ones who didn’t have a prom date among their friends. Momo felt jealous of her friends. She wanted to have a prom date like all of their friends did. She wanted Nayeon to be her prom date. But, Nayeon didn't feel the same way.

Momo saw Nayeon standing alone.  She really wanted to approach Nayeon and ask her to dance with her. However, she was still thinking about Nayeon's rejection. She was sure Nayeon would reject her again if she asked her to dance with her.

Momo suddenly felt a push from behind.  She knew it must be Chaeyoung's doing because there was no one behind her.  Momo then glared at Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung chuckled while looking at Momo.

Chaeyoung pushed Momo with her power until Momo stood beside Nayeon.  Like it or not, Momo had to talk to Nayeon.

"You don't want to dance?" Momo suddenly had the gut to ask Nayeon.

"Dance with whom?"  Nayeon asked back.

Momo pointed at herself.  Nayeon laughed at that. "Hey, I'm the best dancer," Momo said.

"Okay.. I don't think there's anything wrong with dancing with you," Nayeon said and then gave Momo her hand.  Momo didn't expect Nayeon's response. Momo was so excited. She then grabbed her hand and pulled Nayeon onto the dance floor.

Momo led Nayeon in dancing.  Dancing is not something that Nayeon is familiar with. However, she could dance so well because of Momo. Momo held her so gently.  For the first time, Momo saw Nayeon blushing. She was also blushing. Her heart was pounding so hard.

"Do you think it's weird if one day I have feelings for you?"  Momo suddenly asked. Why did I ask that? Stupid.

"What?! Of course! I can't imagine it," Nayeon replied.

"It must be even weirder if you have feelings for me," Momo said with a smile. I would be dead if you suddenly said that you had feelings for me.

"There's no way I'd have feelings for you.  Can't you see we fight every day?"

"That's because you're so annoying."

"Me? You are the one who’s so annoying!”

They started fighting again even though they were still dancing at the time. People, who saw that, ignored them. It was something that was normal for them.

There was no significant change in Nayeon and Momo's relationship after that day.  They live their lives as usual.  They were still friends even after they graduated from college and found jobs.

It was Jihyo and Sana's wedding day. Their wedding was so lively and attended by many of their high school friends.  The wedding was like a reunion.  Nayeon and Momo met at that wedding. It had been several months since they had last seen each other.  Due to their busy schedules, they rarely saw each other.  However, it didn’t make them awkward.

"Momo!  I haven't seen you in a long time," Nayeon said when she met Momo.

"You look beautiful in that dress," Momo replied. My heart is still pounding for you.

"So you don't think I was pretty before?"  Nayeon asked.

"You're always beautiful," Momo replied. You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

"What's wrong with you today?"  Nayeon asked then laughed.

"What? Is there something wrong with what I said?” Momo asked back. It's the truth. When will you believe me?

"Nah, it’s good that you finally realized my beauty," Nayeon said with a laugh.

Momo just smiled hearing that.  "Nayeon, do you have free time tomorrow?"  Momo asked. There's something I want to tell you.

"Tomorrow? I'm free tomorrow. What is it?"

"I want to ask you out on a date," Momo replied. It'll be our first official date.

"Date?" Nayeon laughed at that word. So, you don't think so.  "Okay. Where do you want to go?"

“The park we used to visit when we were in high school," Momo replied. Do you remember that time?

"Alright. Don't be late, okay?"

The next day, Momo visited that park. Visiting that park reminded her of many memories, especially the memory of how she was so nervous to ask Nayeon to be her prom date. How fast time flies, Momo thought.

Before Momo approached Nayeon, she decided to buy two cups of ice cream, one for her and one for Nayeon. She suddenly remembered the time when she had to 'steal' Nayeon's ice cream. She smiled remembering that memory.

"Nayeon!"  Momo called Nayeon while holding two cups of ice cream, one had chocolate flavor and the other had strawberry flavor.

“Wow, ice cream!”  Nayeon said when she saw the two ice creams.

"Here's chocolate ice cream for you," Momo said as she handed the ice cream to Nayeon.  Nayeon took the ice cream from Momo's hand.

"Do you remember when you stole my ice cream?"  Nayeon asked then laughed.

"Yeah, I remember.  That's why I bought that chocolate ice cream for you," Momo replied. I had to do that because of that small leaf.

“After all these years, this is your redemption?”

"I'm sorry," Momo said and laughed.

Nayeon and Momo walked around the park like they used to do. They chatted while eating their ice cream. They talked a lot about their jobs and their friends getting married. The topics of their conversation were about adult matters, no more school problems.

After walking around the park, Momo took Nayeon to eat at the ramyeon shop they had visited before. Nayeon started to feel something strange after Momo ordered two bowls of ramyeon for herself.

"Do you want to repeat what happened 7 years ago?"  Nayeon asked then laughed.

"Yeah, I want to repeat that," Momo replied. I wish I had the gut to tell you my feelings back then.

"Do you miss high school?"  Nayeon asked again.

"I miss you," Momo replied while looking at Nayeon.  "There's something I want to tell you before I leave this country.." Momo lowered her head as she said that.

“Leave? What do you mean?!”

"I'm going to stay in England."

"Wait.. so this is a farewell?"  Nayeon asked.  Momo just nodded.  She couldn't see Nayeon's face.  “I wanted to ask why you didn’t tell me before this, but I know it's pointless.  We'd better spend this time well."

"That's what I want to do today," Momo said with a smile.

After their food was served, they ate it without talking to each other. Silence fell over them, but it didn't make them awkward. It was like they used to be.

"So, you want to ride a couple bike after this?"  Nayeon asked after finishing her food.

"Yeah, I want to ride it. You're not feeling lazy this time are you?"

"To be honest I’m feeling lazy, but I'll ride that bike for you."

After that, they rented a couple bike and rode it. They rode the bicycle down the Han river. The scenery at that time was so beautiful. Momo smiled at the sight. Did Nayeon also find the scenery beautiful?

"Nayeon, hold on tight," Momo said then used her power to pedal the bike.

"Momo! Are you crazy?!"  Nayeon hit Momo from behind.

"I need a little adrenaline," Momo replied. Yes, I need that to tell you my feelings.

"You said it again. Why do we need adrenaline to ride a bike?" Nayeon said and rolled her eyes.

“I need adrenaline so I can say this..” Momo turned her head to the sky and shouted, “Nayeon, I love you!  I've been falling in love with you for 7 years!”

Nayeon said nothing after hearing that. Momo didn't know if Nayeon knew what the meaning of her confession. She hoped Nayeon would understand her feelings that she had kept for a long time. I have been keeping my feelings for you for that damn 7 years.

After riding the bicycle, Momo took Nayeon home as she did seven years ago. The difference was that they didn't speak at all during their walk until they arrived in front of Nayeon's house.

"Are you serious when you say that?"  Nayeon started the conversation.

"Yeah, I'm serious," Momo replied then smiled.  "I know you don't have any feelings for me. So you don't have to give me an answer."

Nayeon didn’t deny or confirm the statement.  Momo thought Nayeon was being nice to her. At least, she didn't have to face Nayeon's rejection again.

"Goodbye, Nayeon. Please forget about me.”  That was the last sentence before Momo turned around and walked away from Nayeon. She couldn't hold her tears.

Momo never thought how painful it would be to leave Nayeon. Nayeon was so precious to her. She was her everything. She was her world. Therefore, Momo wished she could go back to the time where they were in high school and told Nayeon the truth about her feelings before it's too late. I wish I have your power, Nayeon.