Don't go home

Jibe Gajima

You just wanted a little more time, didn't you? Maybe five or ten more minutes. Just a little more time to be by my side.

Because we are silly like that. We stick to each other like chewing gum. We have a weird kind of abstinence when we spend too much time apart and I'm aware that one time you got a fever just because you couldn't see me for six days straight.

Love fever!

But let me tell you something, Baekhyunnie, I also wanted more of that time that you want too. Just a little more, just fifteen more minutes; to hold your hand until you feel safe, until you feel that you won't escape me when we need to go our separate ways at the end of the day.

Oh, I'm so boring, aren't I? You always say that I worry too much about what other people think, that I should be more confident and less grumpy. But hey, don't be like that, the world will be ours. I'll give it all to you if you want it. It may sound silly, but I'll give you the heavens, the moon, the stars, everything you want.

But before that, Baekhyunnie, it would be interesting if you could stop putting me in difficult situations; you got to make things lighter for me. I know it that I can't hold your hand all the time or kiss you for more than five seconds, but not everything works out the way we want it to. You have to stop that petulance of yours — which has never gotten us anywhere — and stop being so childish all the time.

But when you cross your arms and threaten to never kiss me again, it really scares me. I swear. Can you imagine never being able to kiss you again, how crazy? It would be like trying to live without my heart. I get goosebumps just imagining it.

And I say I don't, but I do love it when you grab my arm and put your head on my shoulder demanding attention. Even if I seem to reject your affection when we are in class and you want to cuddle, all I really want is to be able to hold you in my arms and cover you with kisses just to make you laugh and your body shiver.

You know all this and yet you are so stubborn. You keep teasing me and letting my imagination run wild when you touch my leg under the table, as if no one else were there. I hold my breath with such nervousness. You affect me in all kinds of ways, you know that? Maybe you do it just to make me go insane anyway, I know you, because you love to see me give in to whatever you want.

I like your craziness, I'm not going to lie, just like I like the way you hold me tenderly. Look, you won't fall apart if you go one second without being near me, okay? But it's really nice to know that you feel the same way as I do, because I think I'd be a poor miserable boy if I had to like you without it being reciprocated.

You know you could ask me to cross the whole world for you and I would. Only reality hits me right in the face when you are crazy enough to suggest our "perfect" escape. I say no way, but you keep arguing about how great it would be to get rid of boring parents forever and live on the road driving around the country aimlessly, anywhere, when we don't even have a driver's license — much less a car!

Yes, everything would really be easier for both of us if we were neighbors. I keep imagining this day and night and laughing to myself, because it would be too perfect. My mother would chat with your mother on the sidewalk, they would get along because they have the same strict personality and are gossipy. My father would play chess with yours, because they have the same hobby and are very competitive. Which would give us the distraction we needed to kiss as much as we wanted in my room. And who knows, maybe my sister and your brother could find love like we did? They would be the perfect match — but no more than the two of us, of course, because I'm pretty sure we are incomparable soul mates.

But no, no, you have to live in the depths of hell. So, so far away. Just remembering that I have to take the subway and two buses to get to your house depresses me! It even makes it seem true those times when you say that the odds can only be against us, that the world will end if we spend too much time together.

I don't want to sound pathetic, but on Sunday I have to get up early if I don't want to miss even a second of our special day. I arrive at your house sweating because I ran too much so as not to waste time or be late. I always want to make the most of it, because you can't imagine the frustration I feel when I realize that I wasted a second that I could have spent with my mouth on yours.

Oh... And when the doorbell rings, you come running to open the door with the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. I fall even more in love every time I see your beautiful happy face. And the moment you throw yourself at me for a tight hug, it's just too much. I can't stand it. It's too much for my heart. I can't take it.

You only don't knock me to the ground because I'm on the basketball team now and I've been practicing a lot, so I'm strong enough to hold you, pick you up off the ground, and bury my face into your neck. I spin you in the air and you laugh with your melodious voice. Your mother stares at the whole scene from afar, arms crossed over her chest and shaking her head as if she thinks that this is all a passing thing and that one day it will end.

Little does this woman know that she is dead wrong.

Then you climb on my back and I carry you to the bus stop in between giggles and jokes. We walk the whole city, enjoy it all. I buy you a love apple, call you my darling, and you frown because you hate caramel fruit and corny names, so I give you a caramel-flavored kiss and whisper my love against your lips, and you even forget that you hate the taste and the honeyed words. Your red flush of embarrassment is worth every attempt.

My mother always calls to ask where I am as soon as seven o'clock at night. She is so protective that she makes me suffocate and roll my eyes. But you take the phone out of my hand and I have to fight you until I am able to take it back. So we end up kissing in some alley. I put you up against the wall and then let you do whatever you want to me. You mess me up, ruin me, and then rebuild me. It's all so intense that I feel like I'm levitating.

Even though you always get me into trouble, I love to see your giant smile when you're with me, you know? I feel like the luckiest kid in the whole world. So tell me you'll be with me forever? Please? It's strange to imagine you away from here, away from me. I don't even like to think about it! It makes me want to roll on the floor and cry for all eternity.

The happiness I feel when we walk hand in hand is out of this world, I wanted to confess that - although I admitted it more than I should have. I could spend the whole time like this and I wouldn't get sick of it. I am serious. I don't think I will ever get sick of you. I say this to you and you get thoughtful, then you tell me to shut up and stop thinking so much about the future and enjoy the present.

But it's just that I like you so much, Baek, you are my first boyfriend, my first kiss, and my first love. Sure, first loves hurt, but I guess whoever said that hasn't met you.

So when I look at you with a silly face for too long and you get embarrassed, you can be sure that I am looking at you as a boy terribly in love. Because I think that you are the kind of person that you meet only once in a lifetime and I'm certain that this is true when you tell me that you love me.

I can't stand it. When you say that, out of the blue, I just melt. You're the most beautiful thing in the whole world, so I yell it for everyone on the street to hear, and you cringe with embarrassment. You run out and round the corner, saying that a madman is chasing you, while laughing. And when I catch up with you, I make you pay for saying it by kissing you like I'm going to your soul out.

At the end of the night, unfortunately, you have to go. And Baekhyunnie, we are so dramatic! We act like we're going to die. You grab my arm and don't let go for anything, being all stubborn and tantrum-like, putting on a complete show that only Byun Baekhyun can do. You try persuading me to stay by giving me long kisses and threatening to never see me again. I say that you don't even believe those words yourself and you end up making a crying face and then agreeing, because you have already made it clear that you can't go a day without being in my embrace.

I am always the stronger of the two of us. I'm always the one who puts an end to the drama. We never really die! - even though one day I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack just from frustration. I tell you that you have to go inside now or you'll get a bad rap, and you almost cry with your arms crossed in heartbreak, but you break away as soon as you remember that your parents can be very strict with us if the show doesn't end.

From the window you wave good-bye as you watch me go, your other hand resting on your chin, a huge pout on your lips. And the expression on your face is so melancholic that I put my hand on my chest and fight with all my strength not to run back to you and throw it all away.

I know, I know, all you wanted was a little more time. I wanted it too, because we deserve so much more than this. We deserve to be cuddled up all day and to sleep embraced like bears. We have the right to be as clingy and cheesy as we want. To hell with all this oppression of our teenage love! I want countless kisses, dates that last for a whole day, and more freedom to express my passion.

But don't worry, Baekhyunnie, when I am elected mayor of this town I will enact a law in favor of all boys in love. It will mainly include: go home only after nine o'clock, never get a scolding from your parents, and not have to see your boyfriend sad every time he is grounded because of you.