Misunderstanding

Sweet Like Ice Cream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The nurse cornered Byulyi and asked, "Bucheon High School, class 10-3. Does it ring any bells?"

"H- How do you..." The brown haired woman felt the nurse's arm was choking her neck, "I- I can't breathe!"

Yongsun kept pressing her right arm, ‌"Do you still don't know who I am?"

"No!" The basketball coach used her strength to fight and broke free by rolling down to the floor. She was coughing and asked, "How do you know I studied there?"

‌"You are seriously so dense, are you?"

‌"There's no need to be rude like that."

‌"Really? That's rich coming for you." The nurse was fumming with anger and tried to attack the brown haired woman but she was still under influence of alcohol so she's ended up falling on top of the coach.

The smell of alcohol was really strong close to her face and Byulyi caught both the nurse's hands. She rolled their bodies and she was on the top, ‌"What did I do wrong to you?"

Now Yongsun got pinned on the floor and couldn't move. She exhaled sharply, "Ddun Ddunie. Remember that name?"

‌Byulyi took her time to search that name in her head and gasped once she found it, "D- Ddun Ddunie! I remember her."

"You were in the basketball team and so popular and yet, you bullied her back in high school."

‌"No... I didn't. Wait, is she the reason you're acting like this? As a revenge? Oh no, was she sick and passed away? Tell me what happened to her."

‌Yongsun was baffled for a moment and laughed out loud, "Wow. Sometimes I wonder what's going on inside your head. Like seriously. Is that what you get from our interactions so far?"

C‌lueless Byulyi was still holding the nurse's hands even though Yongsun didn't resist anymore, "I don't understand what's going on. It's been 10 years and my memories are fuzzy. Just please elaborate."

‌"Ddun Ddunie is very much alive and well and she's right here."

‌"In this school? She became a teacher? Wow."

‌"Oh my god. I can't believe this," The nurse held back her annoyance and replied, "I am Ddun Ddunie!"

‌"Shut up! No, you're not." Byulyi's eyes softened and released her grip on Yongsun's hands. She sat on the floor and said, "Ddun Ddunie was... Cute and chubby..." The coach stared intently at Yongsun's face, "Oh... Now I see it."

‌"See what?"

‌"This," Without thinking, the coach pinched the nurse's left cheek and her face lit up with a bright smile, "Ooohohoho still feels the same!"

‌"What the hell do you think you're doing!" Yongsun slapped the hand away from her face and frowned.

‌"Y- You're really Ddun Ddunie?"

"Yes," Yongsun rubbed her cheek, "You used to steal my chocolate milk during lunch, teased me all the time and always pinched my cheeks! You didn't even know my real name and kept calling me Ddun Ddunie!"

Byulyi tilted her head back and laughing, "Oh my..."

"Hey! It's not funny!" The drunk nurse shouted, "I'm serious! You don't know how much I suffered because of you. You invented that nickname and the others used it to make fun of me. You were so popular and you have no idea how much influence you had! Meanwhile I was just a nerdy, chubby girl with braces and glasses."

"You... You called that bullying?" Byulyi kept laughing, "Alright, hold on. Let me get this straight... You've been holding a grudge for 10 years because I teased you in high school? I mean... Who would remember anything from 10 years ago?"

"Well, I do!" The black haired woman pouted, "But I already moved on with my life until I met you again."

"I didn't bully you. I swear," The coach covered , "Oh my... So you're Ddun Ddunie..." She crawled and got closer to see the black haired woman's face, "Now that you mentioned it, other than the glasses and braces you still look the same. Older, prettier and more mature but still... You."

"Of course I am still me. What else do you expect?"

"I can't believe I meet you again. You were at Bucheon High only for a year and I wondered why you moved," Byulyi had genuine and kind eyes as she said, "Let me explain myself right now. I may don't remember everything but I do remember this. I did take your chocolate milk everyday during lunch but... I switched it with my banana milk and always put it on your table after lunch break."

The drunk nurse shouted again, "There were other students, but why it's always me? I love chocolate milk! And there's no banana milk on my table when I came back to class so you must be lying."

"Hmm... Then there must be a thief who took the banana milk from your table everyday. Who could that be?" The basketball coach covered her face and smiled as she's remembering those exciting moments back in high school from 10 years ago, "Do you know why I teased you a lot?"

"Because I was a nerd and you're just a jerk jock."

"No," Byulyi looked up, "You were so smart and placed 2nd in our class, right? And you always busy studying and hiding behind the books. You're a quiet one and rarely talked to anyone. You didn't even treat me like any other girls did so I wanted to get your attention and I... Liked her, I mean you."

"Huh? That's bull!" The nurse scoffed because she couldn't believe it, "That's not what I remember. Every morning you always passed by my table and pinched my cheek and made everyone laughed."

"I was greeting you. I also said, 'Good morning, Ddun Ddunie.' but you just frowned."

"If you like someone, you should treat them like they're the most precious people in your life. Not made them feel insecure and turned them into a subject of jokes!"

"I'm really sorry, I mean it. It's not my intention to hurt you but you know how those kids were and I have to admit, I always become a fool when I like someone," Byulyi blushed. 

"You do act like a fool but you're so different from back then. You were so confident, charming and proud. Now you even stutter when talking to me."

"My injury and retirement played a part in that. I'm not who I used to be," The coach bit her lip, "Honestly, I don't really want to talk about it. Just like you and your.. Ahem, the reason you're become a nurse here. I'm sorry, I overheard your conversation with your uncle-"

"Stop talking," Yongsun interrupted and got up holding her head, "Just stop."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't brought it up..." Byulyi said before seeing the nurse lost balance and took a dive on the couch, "Right, she's still drunk."

The coach brought her blanket and when she's covering the sleeping nurse's body, she heard a loud farting sound. She grimaced and coughed, "Oh god... Smells like garbage," Byulyi fanning the air above the nurse with a pillow and mumbled, "What do you expect, Byul-ah? Pretty women's fart doesn't smell like flowers. They're human just like us. But that's okay, don't worry, Nurse Kim. I still like you."

The brown haired woman sat on the floor and rested her head on the couch. She's watching the nurse's sleeping for awhile and whispered with a smile, "I can't believe you're Ddun Ddunie," She the hair on Yongsun's face and said before sleeping on the floor with rubber mat, "Sleep tight, My Ddun Ddunie from 10th grade."

 

In the morning, the basketball players were gathering in the indoor gym at 8 am for the practice. They usually greeted by their optimistic coach but the brown haired woman was nowhere to be seen. Hyejin and Wheein were holding hands and walked to the coach's office but it was still locked from inside. The shooting guard knocked on the door, "Coach! Are you in there? Coach!"

Byulyi woke up hearing the knocks and heading to the door half awake as she's scratching her . When she was about to hold the door handle, she remembered the nurse on her couch. She jumped back and shook Yongsun's body violently, "Hey! Wake up! Wake up! Emergency!" 

The nurse bolted upright and panicking with one of her eyes closed, "W- What's happening?"

"Go! You should leave!"

"Huh?" Yongsun was still gathering her senses but got pushed from the couch so she walked to the door, "Geez, alright. There's no need to push me like that!"

"Not from there!" The coach ran and pressed her back against the door, "The girls are outside, I forgot the basketball practice at 8," Byulyi looked around and found another exit, "Window! Climb out of the window!"

"Seriously? No! We didn't do anything last night. I'm coming out from the door like a normal person, thank you very much."

"W- Wait!" Byulyi held the nurse's shoulders, "Those girls and the teachers love to gossip. I- I just don't want another misunderstanding between us and make you uncomfortable."

"Argh!" The nurse growled and huffed, "Fine!"

"Thank you! I know I will pay for this," Byulyi pushed the nurse to the wall and opened the window, "Now just go."

Yongsun climbed out of the window with the help of the basketball coach and landed herself on the ground. Then she realized something was missing, "! My purse!" She tiptoed to climb back but Byulyi already closed the window quickly and locked it. The nurse was knocking on the window but the coach was at the door greeting the high school students.

 

"Sorry girls! I overslept," The coach smiled with her indian dimples, "Go warming up first. I'll join you."

Hyejin sighed and turned around, "Okay."

But her best friend raised her eyebrows and took a step inside the coach's office. Her nose caught a scent, "Coach, you were drinking last night? Oh my, the room reeks of alcohol."

The shooting guard smirked and joined the shorter girl, "Oooohh... But there's no soju bottles here."

"I only had a few drinks at the teacher's gathering last night," The coach scratched her head, the gesture she always did whenever she's nervous and her gaze went to a white purse on the couch. She plopped herself on top of it and sat awk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter