If things were otherwise, I might love you

3 Identities of my Mysterious Wife

With the members of the Men's Organization helping with the numerous cases, Mihye really felt that some of the burden she had been carrying was lifted off her shoulders. "You're right, Byunghun oppa. Sometimes it's okay." she whispered to herself.

She went home and helped Kevin and the cooks with dinner, humming a tune to herself. Kevin and the cooks noted her happy behavior and smiled as well. She just had that sort of charm that made everyone's mood follow her own.

L.Joe arrived home a while later, after he went back to his office to finish some of the other reports that had to be done. He was still pondering about the cases, and albeit very shallow of him, the kiss.

Now that he thought of it, he hadn't really remembered that he was supposed to like the Queen while he was there at the meeting. When they were talking about the cases and such, he had been to engrossed in the topic to even remember that he wanted to fall in love with the Queen.

Was that supposed to happen?

"I must have been distracted." L.Joe told himself. "I'm sure I can fall in love with her. What I feel for Mihye is just a fleeting crush." he mumbled.

Mihye was at the door to help him with his coat as usual. L.Joe's gaze immediately fell on her lips and he forced himself to look away. "Thanks Mihye." he told her as she hung his coat, and he strode up to their bedroom as fast as he could.

Mihye didn't notice his strange behavior since she had been staring at the ground. She hung his coat and leaned against the wall when he left. She put her hand to her heart and felt it racing, confirming what she thought. *I'm really in love with Byunghun oppa.*

Dinner was served shortly after, and the couple ate in complete silence. L.Joe peeked at Mihye and noted that she kept her gaze directed at her food, not even blinking. He frowned, wondering what happened.

"Mihye? Is something wrong?" L.Joe probed.

Mihye shook her head, but didn't look away from her food. "Nothing." she responded.

L.Joe frowned. "Remember what I told you? It's okay if you depend on someone else." he reminded her. "If there's anything you want to share with me it's okay you know." he offered.

Mihye's heart warmed. She loved how he cared for her like this. It made her feel tingly all over.

"Hm." she nodded again, still looking at her food. She didn't dare look at him lest the blush she had fought so hard to keep off her face would just appear once more. Just meeting his gaze like that made her mind boggled and she didn't know where she was, what to say, and her mind went into a complete breakdown.

After a few moments, she decided she was calm enough to sneak a peek at him. She hadn't even seen his face since he came back, since she didn't dared to. She cocked her head up slightly, and was surprised to see that L.Joe was staring at her.

He grinned. "Hah. I was wondering when you'd look up from your food." he teased.

Mihye's head immediately bobbed downwards again and she focused on her food once more. *Wrong choice.* she told herself, feeling her cheeks burning. L.Joe scratched his head at her odd behavior, but decided to trust Mihye. She would tell him if something was wrong.

 

 

L.Joe wasn't the only one who noticed her difference. Kevin did.

He noted how Mihye didn't dare to look at L.Joe in the eye, how she her lips nervously when it was just L.Joe and Mihye alone, and how frequently she blushed around her husband.

The nagging feeling in his chest built up as he suspected what it was. He crossed his fingers and hoped that he was wrong, that Mihye still had no feelings other than being purely platonic towards L.Joe.

He approached her after dinner when L.Joe had gone for a bath and Mihye was reading a book on the couch. "Mihye?" he settled beside her. Mihye looked at him and smiled. "Neh?"

Kevin's eyes met hers and she looked at him steadily back. *No blush.* Kevin noted bitterly. Nevertheless, he didn't give up. "Is something wrong, Mihye?" he asked. "You're acting weird today. You don't dare to look at Byunghun and you blush frequently. Something wrong?"

Mihye immediately pinked. Kevin bit back a scowl. *Blushing when I talk about him again.*

She looked around to confirm that L.Joe wasn't in their premises. She leaned over to Kevin and whispered in his ear. "Don't tell anyone, Kevin oppa. But I think I'm in love with Byunghun oppa."

Kevin's heart sank as his suspicions were confirmed. She was in love with her husband, no matter how ridiculous it seemed. Kevin kept a straight face and looked at her. "Oh."

Mihye's face fell. This wasn't the type of reaction she was expecting from Kevin. He was her friend, she thought he'd encourage her to confess or continue loving L.Joe, if not, congratulate her for finding out what she felt for her husband at last.

But no, he just stared at her with an unreadable expression.

"I'll go home now, Mihye." Kevin suddenly blurted. "Seungji's waiting." He got his coat and darted out of the door without waiting for Mihye to reply. Mihye scratched her head. *Is my falling for Byunghun oppa that bad a thing?* she wondered.

She took out her phone and decided to ask her best talking buddy.

 


To: L.Joe

Hey Mister L.Joe sshi. Since you've always asked me questions, this time it's my turn. I don't really know what to do right now.
I think I've fallen in love with someone I'm not supposed to, L.Joe. He has made his stand clear from the beginning that we are just friends, but now I don't see him that way anymore. I think I really do love him. But what should I do?

From: Miss Apple


 

L.Joe came out of the bathroom and was surprised to find a message from Miss Apple. He was even more shocked when he read the contents. He chuckled lightly.

He always thought Miss Apple was independent and wise, but it seemed, in the matter of love and relationships, Miss Apple was an amateur like him.

 


To: Miss Apple

Well my Apple, there is no such thing as someone that you're not supposed to love. There's no such thing as "supposedly" when it comes to feelings.
If you fall in love with someone, it's because your heart tells you to. Not because you're supposed to.
Don't be disheartened. Perhaps he has changed his mind since the last time he said he wanted to be friends?

From: L.Joe


 


To: L.Joe

I hope so.
But thank you L.Joe. I never knew you were such a love guru. (: You know, now that I think about it. If I hadn't met him, if we had met not on this app but in real life...I think I may fall for you, L.Joe.
You're the best male friend I've ever had.

From: Miss Apple


 

 

L.Joe's eyes widened at her message.

He thought about it for a moment and a smile came onto his face. He could see the truth as well. If things weren't the same, if he didn't meet the Queen, if he didn't meet Mihye...

 


To: Miss Apple

You know what, Apple? I think the same. I'd fall for you if things were different too. Too bad they aren't right?
You're the best female friend I've had too.

From: L.Joe