some days

Suddenly It's Marriage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

­

NABI

 

There was nothing to be worried about.

Everything was perfectly fine.

Last week was just another petty argument. It was normal for couples to argue and maybe throw in the word ‘break-up’ due to frustration. Everything … should be fine. After stealing one last glance behind her, Nabi stepped into the building, the cold handle of the door making the hairs on her neck stand.

She nervously glared at her blurry reflection on the elevator as she waited for it to open. As much as she wanted to go home and have at least a few hours of sleep before going straight to work, she had to do this first. It’s bad enough that she had to leave for a business meeting right after they had that fight. Not a huge fight though. She didn’t think so. It wasn’t that bad. Right?

As soon as the doors opened, she hopped in, impatiently pressing on the buttons.

The familiar musty scent welcomed her when she got to her desired floor. Along with musty was garbage smell. Hmm, gross. “Gosh, not again?” She muttered under her breath as she walked past the garbage chute. The door was closed but she knew it was probably clogged again and that tenants, most likely including him, just left their garbage on the floor instead of taking it outside as they should have.

When she got to his door, her chest automatically felt heavy. She was scared. But she didn’t exactly know why she should be. On the outside, in the public’s eyes, she was this strong independent woman CEO. But when it came to Han Sungjae, she was a total fool for love. She loved him so much that the thought almost hurt.

He had a cold almost mean exterior, but she loved that about him.

He was never afraid to treat her like a regular person, and not someone with money. Or power. God knows how powerless she was when he was around.

She was so used to everyone looking up to her like she was some unattainable god that should be feared until she met him. It was … refreshing, to say the least. When he was around, she did not mind being weaker. It felt right. He made it feel right. Nabi punched in the code to the door, and she braced herself with a smile. Meeep. That did not sound right. She looked down at the keypad and tried the code again. Meeep. “What’s happe—” The door suddenly moved, causing her to jump a little.

Immediately, she met eyes with him, and his usual intense gaze made her swallow big. She was only gone for a week, but she missed him so much, especially after that fight. She hated herself for leaving that night. “Oh, hi—I was going to surprise you. What happened to your code? It wasn’t wo—"

“I changed it. Why are you here?” He cut her off, his tone deep and emotionless.

Changed it? What did he mean by that? Did he get robbed or something? He must have told her through text or email, she probably missed the message. “Huh? Why would you change it? Did something happen while I was gone? Are you okay?” Nabi tried to glance inside while also reaching for his face. To her surprise, he pushed her hand away.

This wasn’t the first time that he had acted like this. He was always quite short-tempered. But why did it feel different this time? Somehow, it felt … permanent.

She should have known better. This was all her fault. She should have cancelled her business meeting after that fight. She should have just done what he wanted. She was smarter than this. His requests were not even that complicated, right? After all, she technically had the power to do it.

Who cares if his sister’s credentials weren’t really qualified for an internship position in her company?

And would it really hurt the family business if she were to go out in public with him? Yeah, sure he was someone more common than what people would expect her to get associated with, but they were in love. It didn’t matter if her family was still grieving from her father’s passing last year.

It shouldn’t have mattered if she was too busy with work.

Was it really a big issue if they moved in together? Not really. He’s actively looking for a new job, and it wasn’t even his fault that he was fired. The co-worker provoked the physical fight. Sungjae … just reacted.

Lastly, moving in together, even secretly, would have helped him a lot. Especially right now, she couldn’t imagine how it felt like not knowing your next step, being unsure of what’s to come tomorrow. Why didn’t she just say yes to all these things? If it meant that they wouldn’t have a fight?

Nabi nervously chuckled. “Sungjae, you can’t be serious about last time. It was just a stupid fi—"

“Stupid? Like how you think about my sister?” The sarcasm in his tone felt like knives thrown at her. And for some reason, she saw it coming. He was always sarcastic, it was his humour, in a way. “Why don’t you just go back to your stupid mansion and leave me alone? You don’t ever want to be fair in this relationship anyway. You want everything your way, right? You’ve caused me enough stress.” He added.

Horrified by his accusations, Nabi anxiously grabbed his arms. “Babe, that’s not true at all. What do you mean? I never said I didn’t want to do all those things with you … for you. I just—I just need a little more time. You know that Dad just passed away and Mom can’t handle it alone anymore, she’s old too. There’s a lot on my plate lately and I just—”

“Who are you to complain? You have money. I have a lot on my plate, think about that Miss CEO.” Sungjae turned around and walked back into the apartment, leaving the door open. So, she went in too.

Walking into his apartment always felt like going into a junk yard. Dirt and garbage scattered on the floor. Crumbs of who knows what and empty cans of beer piled up on the coffee table. A video game paused on his huge flat screen television—woah, she had never seen this television before. Just last week, he had a much smaller and older one.

She also realized that the very game console he was playing on was brand new. It had to be. She knew because he’d been raving about this game console for weeks.  

Where did he get the money for these? He just lost his job two weeks ago and he has maxed out his overdraft—one thing that always worried Nabi, on behalf of him. She had willingly lent him money to pay it off on three different occasions in the span of one year they’ve been dating … but for some reason, it just never fixed the problem.

“Yo—you got a new TV?” She asked. “Babe, you should be more mindful of how you spend, especially when you just lost your job. Having to use your credit card or worse, overdraft, means you can’t afford it, hm?”

Sungjae slumped on the couch and continued to play his ga

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter