two 🍰

Stay by my side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Impatiently waiting for their last customer of the day to finish his iced Americano and leave their shop right away the lady boss can’t help to scratch her head when she scrutiny her eyes to the bucket hat man. And this is the last thing she wants to refused to add to her fuzzy mind and ponder why the bucket hat man slurping his iced Americano like a snail. Bucket hat man since he is wearing it and she has no idea who is it and she don’t have time to know him.

A sudden commotion outside the shop captured her attention. The loud horns of cars and the shouts of different voices form an odd feeling. She hastily went out and she has guts what is happening. Right from her institution, she knew what it is. An old woman wearing pale rose colored knitted sweater and a thin pants in the middle of the end of the daylight and the chilly and winter breeze can tell that the old woman clothes is not enough to warm her. Agitated and seems like lost in the middle of the road the constant buzzing of horns and shouts in the pedestrian lane added chaos of the scene. That makes the old woman scared and in between her teeth clattering she is mumbling “Kwan” “where is she?”

The moment she saw the old woman stuck in the middle of the road scared and cold, her breath hitched and immediately went to rescue her that no one dares to do. Irritated and relief of different faces that share same complexity come up to her after she guided the old woman to the side lane away from the dangerous and the different type of vehicles crossing the road. The old woman rejoices upon seeing her existence the wrinkle of her face becomes prominent and her cold hands gripping her warm ones. The scary feeling a while ago washed away because of the Lady went to her. Clearly worried, her eyes glistening just the mere staring at the old woman is finally safe beside her and made her feel at ease. A murmur of overlapping voices but it doesn’t slip to her sharp hearing of the one middle aged man exclaimed. Instead of helping they have time to judge and jump to conclusions. Isn’t ironic a lady like her which is born and raise different from their kind and culture spent her time and her presence to help the old woman but them who saw and have ability to help if they want but disappointedly they didn’t. Although their appearances are far from each other it’s not enough reason to say nonsense and justify that she can’t give sympathy and help the old woman that grew close to her heart.

“What a ridiculous sight, letting some stupid foreigner to take care of an old woman.”

And then who? Them? But why are they not doing anything? She wants to backfire and protest to the man but she kept mum she can’t let waste her energy to some insensitive and arrogant citizen. The more important to her is to bring the old woman to her shop where she can feel warm and safe.

After giving instruction to Hangyeol to get her red knitted gloves inside of her office she personally made a hot chamomile tea for the old woman. Carefully placing the tea cup in the table she put the gloves to the calloused pale hand of the old woman. She blew a hearty breath before she wears the gloves for her. The old woman coos at her.

“Halmeoni, what are you doing out there wearing only a thin knitted sweater at this hour? Don’t cross the road without anybody! Thankfully I have good eyesight, what if I didn’t saw you immediately? I feel like my heart is going to burst the time I saw you.” she sounds upset but the truth she just extremely worried, she is fond to the old woman visiting her although she is a bit danger magnet every time she is sprouting near at her shop like a mushroom.

“Aigoo, are you lecturing me? You sound like my grandson who said so similar! And besides

I missed your shop! I thought your shop has disappeared! I am constantly searching for the signage of your shop but I can’t find it.” She hysterically reasoned and both of her hands exclaiming that is a serious matter to her.

She grins and shakes her head. “The folded signage was always put back inside after the opening hours Halmeoni. But the signage above the glass is still there.”

The old woman bemuses face turned to amaze when she exclaimed that she forgot to look up a little bit. She jokily banter that she and Hangyeol are maybe relative and the old woman laugh happily and even tease the young man. She grazed a genuine smile and pull the un-sweeten biscuits just for her she specially made the recipe and baked it regularly. Every time the old woman is visiting her shop she surely check the can of the biscuits is full and well maintain to replace a new set of baked goods. She is considerate to the health of old woman she only wants her to keep healthy and safe all the time.

One of the reasons that the coffee shop of her is so close to her heart and important is the people she met and made a wonderful connection just like the old woman sitting beside her. Sipping her tea while her broad band of cloth securely wrap to her body to keep her warm although their heater is on she can’t stay still without exerting effort to make the old woman comfortable. The old woman becomes her grandma in this foreign country to her the first time she cross to her newly opened shop at the middle of the day under the scorching sun she is walking in front of her shop and seems lost. And that time she is currently checking and standing at the cashier, right away she went out when she saw the old woman near to lost her consciousness. She gave her iced water, newly baked soft bread, and put her in the seat where the air conditioner is blasting giving a chilly air in the summer of August. From that day on, the old woman didn’t forgot to visit her, every week sometimes turn every day and all of the food and drinks is on the house a treat from her, it was the month of December two years ago. Day by day she grew close to her, the lady seeks the warm embrace of a sweet and caring elder to her and she met Halmeoni Jung from that moment she swears she will take care the old woman. It somehow ease her homesickness fulfill her looking for a mother figure in the foreign country she is currently living and working her business. The old woman accustomed to her and to her shop also her three staffs are already knows what to do if she is not around. And she knew from the old woman stories about her only grandson that is same age at her she him a lot of times and the information gave it to her after she personally bring the old woman to her house he confess that the Halmeoni was diagnosed of Alzheimer diseases that explain her odd behavior and eventually becomes forgetful from last year until now. It’s impossible to avoid feel sad about the information was told to her.

“Halmeoni.” The old woman only hums at her she is i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter