Murder in the night

Fake & True

Sunday was every student's favorite day as, unlike normal schools, it was the first of two days off from classes and two of the humans had asked Momo and Dahyun to meet in front of the facility where blood could be donated.

They were both a little agitated, especially Chaeyoung who couldn't stop pinching herself on her arms "do you think they'll accept?"

"I don't know" Mina was swinging from foot to foot "I hope they don't take offense"

"I'm here!" the vampire had apparently materialized in front of her friends "I apologize for the delay, but getting Dahyun to get out of bed is more difficult than anything else in the world"

The shorter one was looking for the person just mentioned with her eyes "I guess she decided not to come" 

"She is much more tired than she wants to admit and I preferred to leave her alone, raging would make her feel worse" she was worried, but smiled immediately so as not to spoil everyone's mood "why did you ask us to meet here? Do you need something?"

It was Mina who spoke first, unable to contain her anxiety "we would like to be your donor, two vials a week are nothing for us, but they could help you"

The vampire was blown away, but she could not answer because of the paper that Chaeyoung had thrown in her face "we have already filled out everything, you just have to give your consent and sign"

"I'm sure Dahyun doesn't want to have blood donors, but I can't say the same about me" she was smiling a little excited "the only person who ever offered to give me blood is my father"

"Now you have us, hurry up and sign so we can go get our arms pierced" the shorter of the three hated needles, but she couldn't wait to be helpful and was impatient.

Momo did what she was asked, waiting sitting on a low wall during the donation of her friends and smiling to herself "it's nice to see that there are humans as good as my dad"

She turned after hearing a familiar scent "hi Tzuyu, are you here too?"

"Good morning" the human had stopped "Nayeon asked me to meet at the park and, as I understand it, this is the shortest way to get there"

"That's right, you just have to continue on the path and you will be there in no time" she pointed to a point in the distance with her finger.

The taller smiled "thank you, now I'm calmer. What are you doing here?"

"I'm waiting for Mina and Chae to finish making their first donation, I want to make sure they are well and eat something substantial so as not to feel sluggish"

"Dear of them" she turned to look at the glass door leading to the entrance "later I'll ask both of them what it's like to donate, I'm afraid of needles but if it's worth it I'm willing to try"

Momo was smiling "you three are good people"

"We do what we can when we want to achieve goals and ours is to make the world a better place" the dimple on her cheek was adorable in the eyes of the older "I have to go now or I'll be late, see you in Tuesday class" she walked away at a brisk pace, waving goodbye.

The vampire waited a little longer, offering her donors a great breakfast and enduring Chaeyoung's complaints about the nuisance the needle caused.

 

 

 

 

The incessant noise of a fist hitting the front door had managed to convince Dahyun to leave her beloved bed. Before lowering the handle she made sure to grab the baseball bat hanging on the wall, ready to strike "Momo, I told you I don't want to-!"

The bat was stopped in time by a hand wrapped in a bandage "what a nice welcome, then don't tell me I'm the surly one"

"Sana, I thought you were that idiot of my best friend" Dahyun had made a little bow to apologize "I'm sorry, did I hurt you?"

"I'm fine, a person weaker than me certainly can't hurt me" she showed her the envelope she had in the other hand "can I come in?"

The vampire slowly nodded, letting the taller girl enter the small apartment "may I ask the reason for your visit? It's Sunday and you should spend your time resting or with people you like"

"I came here to give you these chocolate bars, the shopkeeper said that they are also very good for vampires" she had pulled one out of the bag, under the astonished gaze of the blonde, to eat it "but I'm also here to ask you for help"

"You want my help? Really?"

"What's shocking about this?" Sana's gaze conveyed boredom.

Dahyun was torturing her hands to keep herself busy "it's weird because there are a lot more good people than me in every thing I can think of"

The human shrugged before sitting on the kitchen table and pointing her index finger at her nose "to begin with you should stop always discrediting yourself, you are annoying and repetitive" she took off her finger after realizing that she had imposed herself in a threatening way "I'm sorry, I'll get straight to the point: I need someone to help me study, I'm good when it comes to physical tests, but I'm not as good at studying. I've asked the other humans for help, but they're pretty bad too"

"You could ask Momo, even if she doesn't seem to she knows how to be really brilliant"

"You are too, I asked some students and they confirmed your ability to study"

"Damn spies" she had muttered under her breath, puffing up her cheeks slightly as if to emphasize her disappointment.

Sana had come down from the table to put her hands on the shoulders of the shorter "you're the only bloodsucker I could bear to have close after school hours, that's why I came here to talk to you. I'll give you something in I change, but don't tell me no"

A sigh escaped from Dahyun's lips, who grabbed one of the chocolate bars in the envelope "I don't want anything in return, I just need you to be nice to me and my best friend"

"It will be hard not to insult you two, but I will make an effort. Do we have an agreement?" she had held out her hand.

The vampire had not approached hers, too busy tearing the paper that wrapped the chocolate bar "sure, feel free to ask me for help whenever you are in trouble while studying"

"Thank you, I hope to be able to study well with your help" she was looking around with curiosity "where is the half-human?"

"Momo went out with Mina and Chaeyoung"

"Why aren't you with them?"

"You ask too many questions" she took a deep breath before continuing "I beg your pardon, I just woke up and hearing all these questions annoys me"

Sana nodded "note: avoid asking questions when Kim Dahyun just woke up" she saluted.

The vampire's smile had decided to be seen "this is idiotic behavior, are you aware of it?"

"And are you aware that you have smiled for the first time since we met?"

"I don't smile very often" she was touching her cheeks, a little embarrassed.

"You should do it, you're definitely prettier" she patted her on the back before walking towards the front door "I'll let you rest and I'll take the opportunity to think about the subjects I'm lacking in" a corner of was raised upwards in a half smile.

"You will find me here, take the opportunity to recover from this tiring week"

They looked at each other for a few seconds, after which Sana had nodded her head before leaving the apartment and closing the door behind her. Dahyun felt like she was on fire due to the mixture of emotions she was feeling "I saw that. I saw her smile"

 

 

 

 

The walk in the park had started in an awkward silence for both Nayeon and Tzuyu, but the vampire had promised herself not to let everything go to pieces and had started talking after a few minutes "so.. How does school look to you?"

"It is well cared for, well managed and populated by mostly friendly people. My room is the right size and the food is very good despite the fact that the cook is a vampire"

"Mr. Alfonso is a centenarian, he learned to cook thanks to the two wives he had" Nayeon was smiling "he is a good man, but he was unlucky"

Tzuyu was looking at her with curiosity "unfortunate about what?"

"He loved two human women who fell ill before reaching their old age years. He once told me that he wished he could go back to turn his first wife into a vampire, but that he no longer feels regretful because if he had done so he could not have known his second wife, loving only half"

"So he's not completely sorry for the choices he made, I think it's normal. I'm very sorry for him, it must be a huge burden to carry"

"I admire him very much, I could never live without the person I love"

The taller girl had put her hands in the pockets of her jacket "are you in love with someone?"

To answer that question it took a few seconds of reflection "no, I was speaking by hypothesis"

"Too bad, I thought I was your soul mate judging by the way you look at me when we're in class" Tzuyu joked.

"You attract me and I have no problem saying it, but it's not that easy to make someone like me fall in love. I've never been in a relationship, it's much easier to have with someone and leave everything as it is. Complicating things doesn't help to nothing but to ruin everything"

They sat on a bench, enjoying the warmth of the sun and the silence of nature for a few moments "I am attracted to you and I don't deny that I was pleasantly surprised by your invitation"

"Really? Last night it took me half an hour to decide to send you the message and I lost count of the times I deleted and rewrote some words"

"I'm sincere and, to be honest, I thought you were a confident person"

Nayeon sat so she could look in the direction of the other girl "I am neither shy nor insecure and what I just said could be confirmed by anyone here at school, but as I have already told you I have never been in a relationship and this means that I am inexperienced on every factor concerning romance"

"I would say we have something in common, but I think it might be fun to learn" she smiled her dimple "what do you think?"

"I say you might be right" she returned the smile.

 

 

 

 

Night was that length of time in which everyone, humans and vampires, slept soundly and that very night, silent as a shadow, a sinister presence had sneaked into the campus to take a look at all the people who populated it.

It was a kind of black cloud lighter than air itself, hidden by something like magic and quieter than silence itself. In its presence it was impossible to wake up unless it allowed that, but no one was awakened by its icy touch.

However, the cold cloud had settled over some of the students long enough to make them tremble in their sleep, drawing on that momentary fear and their bad dreams to strengthen further.

 

 

 

 

The unjustified bustle in the main hallway of the school alarmed Momo and Dahyun, who couldn't get through due to the pressed bodies of the students who had arrived before them.

"Why is everyone here? The bell has already rang" Mina had asked after joining them.

"We don't know, there is too much crowd and you can't see anything" Momo had tried to jump up to take a peek, but the figures of the school officials blocked the view.

Almost twenty minutes passed before the students were ordered to stand against the walls by their principals. The major had cleared his throat to give himself an attitude, moving to allow his students to see the reason for the delay.

Lying on the floor were five senior vampires, veins completely black and wide-eyed totally white. It didn't take a genius to understand that those boys were dead and none of those present had the courage to speak anymore.

"As you can see your comrades are lifeless" despite his advanced age and all the losses he has suffered in his life his voice had trembled "we checked the security cameras outside the dorms and apartments and none of them are gone out all night, this means that someone, or something, brought them here without being seen"

His twin, seeing him frightened by the situation, had joined his brother to give him the support he needed "our school has been targeted by the threat we are all aware of, so we ask you to cooperate fully to give us the opportunity to protect your lives. Go to class, your teachers will answer your questions"

Chaeyoung was trembling with fear as she was intent on observing the bodies of those poor victims "we are not safe anywhere, tomorrow I could be lying on that floor too"

"Don't say these things and don't even think about it" Momo was shaking her hand to comfort her "we already knew we were in danger, the situation hasn't changed"

Jihyo had the antistress given to her by the vampire in her hands "are you really sure? We can no longer pretend to be strangers to whatever this threat is, it would be terribly stupid"

"I agree with you, we ended up in the crosshairs of the culprit of these massacres and we cannot know what will be the next move" Jeongyeon was leaning against the wall, more serious than ever.

"They'll kill us all, it sure was the vampires!" a tiny girl had put her hands in her hair "it's all a farce, we humans are in danger. The vampires want to kill us without any mercy!"

Nayeon had arrived in front of her in the blink of an eye, forcing her to back away "shut that mouth or it will be a really pissed vampire to turn you to a pulp"

"By doing this you will make the situation worse" Dahyun took her wrist gently, surprised by the reaction of the older, who had allowed her to lead her to class without making a fuss.

As soon as the girls were all in their seats, Professor Min had closed the door to have the feeling of being safe "I would like to greet you as I always do, but today's day did not start in the best way" he seemed suddenly aged "beyond in those terrible murders me and other vampires were weakened. We tried to drink more blood than usual during breakfast, but nothing has changed and that can only mean two things: this threat wants to weaken everyone before acting on a large scale or me and the my colleagues we will be the next victims"

"Is there anything we can do? Anything at this point would be okay" Jeongyeon had dented the wood of her desk since she had been holding it.

"We are trying to figure out how to act, the principals still have a few cards to play and we will have to hope that everything can be resolved without suffering further losses. I would like to reassure you and tell you that everything will be fine, but I can't be sure and I don't feel like lying"

Sana, despite the gravity of the situation, was managing to keep a cool head "could you give us more details on the corpses of those vampires? Maybe there is something useful to identify the culprit"

"They have been completely bled, but there aren't any bite marks or needles and the eyes have lost their color. The veins have turned black and even the hair has lost its luster"

"Not much to think about" Dahyun was staring at the pattern she was filling in with information "you don't know how they ended up in the school hallway, right?"

The man nodded "that's right"

"This means that they were transported by someone fast enough not to be seen by the cameras or, at this point, by something we do not know"

Momo was looking at her best friend with obvious concern "I thought so too, not even the fastest vampire would be able to move that fast"

"Despite this, humans think that it was we who killed our fellow men, they have forgotten that those with the tendency to do so are only them" Nayeon had spoken through gritted teeth, such was the frustration.

"It's easier to blame the strongest, it's well known" Tzuyu had leaned her back against the wall next to support herself "for what it's worth, I don't think you are guilty" she exchanged a quick smile with the pureblood, before turning serious.

Mina's eyes were shining from the crying she had been holding back ever since they saw the lifeless bodies of their schoolmates "judging each other is just a waste of time, we should all think about getting stronger and preparing for another possible attack "

They all nodded before looking at their mentor, who was standing and straight-backed despite weakness "are you willing to train harder?" he waited for their answers before hinting at a brief smile "let's go to the gym to choose the type of training suitable for each of you. You will have to be strong no matter what happens, even if other people die you will not have to let yourself be bent by fear and I beg you with all of me to protect each other. You are a family now, you can't trust anyone else"

That unfortunate event had had a strong impact on each of Twice Academy's residents and many had dropped out of school, but the remaining students and school staff were all determined to survive, not to be bent by the fear of death.