The Slave Factory

Yang Yoseob; Finding You

 

Yoseob was brought to view the condition of the slave factory. The slave factory was a high building with 10 levels. Each level had different functions. The first level that he went was ‘the baby-makers’. There where many concrete cubicle that was closed by a striping metal bar. This place was very similar to jail. Inside the dull squared concrete cubicle, there were a lot of dried grasses, like a horse stable.

Yoseob was not surprised with what he saw. He had lived in a slave factory in his first 10 years. This slave factory was quite similar to the one that he used to live. It was just this place was few times larger.

Baby-makers level was where a man and a woman were placed in a room to create a new living human. In this business context, a new product. After one month, the woman would undergo a pregnancy test. If she was pregnant, she was sent to another area or level, a place where all pregnant women were placed. If the girl was not pregnant, she would undergo another test to make sure she could pregnant. If she couldn’t, she would be sold to a slave master.

Was it not cruel? The man and woman might fall in love and cared for each other in one month of living together but then they were separated. Yoseob smirked. He was used to it so much that he felt nothing. The pity feeling in him had started to disappear.

The man that was sent to the baby-makers section was the man that usually won the fighting slave tournament to create a good breed of human. The winner was always treated differently. They usually eat healthier and tastier meal that normal slave. It was because when they win, the owner would be the one who would receive the award. It was depended on the owner to award the fighting slave. Some with girls and while others by foods or relaxation also some just didn’t award their slave.

Once the baby was born, they will stay with their mothers for two years, an age where human started thinking and reasoning. However, some of them were sold before they were two. It was depended of the market needs and wants.

Now, Yoseob, Hyunseung, Doojoon and some other bodyguards went to the third level. Yoseob wondered about his biological mother when he saw the woman held their babies. Yoseob was also born as a slave. He never knew his mother. It was supposed to be sad and touched moment but he just couldn’t feel it anymore. He sighed. Was it because he was just too familiar with this or the humanity in him had disappeared?

He took another glance to the ‘mothers’. The looks in their eyes were sad and depressing. Then, he found the glowing tears in their humble and innocent eyes. It must be painful to know that they have to separate with their child in the future. It also must be hurt knowing that you and your child wouldn’t recognize each other anymore.

Yoseob remembered a moment when he was just 7 years old. He was walking through the ‘mothers’ area, an area where a woman that had children was placed. It was either they would be used again or they would be sold to the slave masters. He looked around, started to wonder if one of them was his mother. All of them were staring at him too, most probably thinking whether he was their son. Yoseob smirked. Now, that feeling had been washed away with the time. He didn’t feel curious of who was his mother anymore.

“We are now at the development section,” Doojoon voiced out after a long silent in their visit.

Yoseob smiled bitterly to Doojoon. He didn’t like this level much. It was a place that would remind him the bad memories of his past. Yoseob fingers were moving, trying to grab something warm that could bring strength to him. But then, he found that he was holding his own fist. He smiled slightly in a sullen way. Why he wanted to depend on people for strength? He was always alone and would be for the future too. Most probably, meeting the caring Seungie made him became like this. In the past, Seungie was a person that he always depended on but mostly, he depended on that person. Even now, he was still depended on the memories of him to help him kept moving.

In the development section, there were mostly children. Girls and boys are placed separately. Some of the children were sold when they accurately reached two. Boys that were still in the factory were trained to fight, be taught how to craft wood and metal also things that related to electrical and construction. For girls, they were taught how to knit, sew, cook and clean, a perfect maid package. At the age of 7, some of the boys would be pick to be the fighting slave. After that, their time would be filled with practicing and training.

Yoseob watched the boys practiced among them. It reminded him of his miserable past. However, it also contained some warm and meaningful memories. As far as he wanted to forget his terrible past, he wanted to remember and cherish that warm moment.

It was a very dreadful time of his life. They were given only one bun a day and had to practice until late night. His energy was weakened. He was exhausted. He felt like dying. He hoped that he didn’t wake up that morning. Some boys didn’t. They died because of fatigue and over used of energy. The management never thought the death as a lost. It was because, fighting slaves were meant to be strong. So, the dead were considered weak and it was wasting to keep them in the factory.

Every night was a cold night and it usually was getting colder each night. The clothes that were given to them were never enough to protect them from the biting cold. Most of the times, it was hard for him to sleep but sometimes, he closed his eyes directly after he laid himself on the smelly dried grasses.

Despite the cold and awful moment, there was someone that made he felt the warmness, a person that had a very warm heart. It might be hard to believe that such kind of people still existed in this cruel and dreadful world. Yoseob gladded and contented that he met that person. If only they could meet again.

________________________________________________________________________

Shorter than usual but I think it is okay, right? Comments and subscribes are <3