Chaos On Campus

Don't Sass Me 2.0
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♡----------------------------------------------♡

 

Although no one realized it at the time, the break-up that occured this morning was not meerly the struggle of a love story. It was a catalyst. it was the beginning of a chain of events that would include life and death itself. Everything will change. 

The autumn wind howled against the apartment window. 

 

Myoui Mina, a twenty-one-year-old medical student, rushed through the front door. 


 

Unwrapping the scarf wrapped against her reddened nose and lips–she invited the warm blast from the heater. Her wine red hair, no longer tucked into the scarf, dropped onto her chest and she pushed it behind her shoulders.  

 

Heat traveled up her stiff body, overwhelming her in drowsiness. She allowed her eyes to fold close.

 

She remained like this until approaching footsteps grew louder.

 

“Morning.”  

 

“Good morning,” Mina replied. 

 

The girl who had spoken to her was a close friend, Kwon Eunbi.

 

Eunbi was shorter than Mina, but it never appeared so, as she was a dance major and had excellent posture. Her shoulders were wide, and she had a strong athletic build. This morning, though, Mina noticed a slight hunch in Eunbi’s posture. 

 

“Sorry for having you come over this early in the morning. After I finish the initial training for my dance studio internship, I should be able to drive Nayeon and me to school, as usual.”

 

Mina offered a soft smile. “It’s not a big deal. I should drive Nayeon after all, she is my girlfriend.”

 

Eunbi’s face twitched painfully at the mention of “girlfriend”. 

 

The smile on Mina’s face thinned. She mentally cursed her tired brain for bringing up a sensitive topic.

 

Eunbi quickly masked her earlier expression. She reached behind Mina and grabbed her puffy winter jacket—then sat on a stool to put on her shoes.

 

While watching Eunbi tying her laces—Mina noticed something off about Eunbi’s appearance.

 

Not wanting to be blunt and risk hurting Eunbi’s feelings, but unable to contain her curiosity, Mina pointed at her hand.

 

Eunbi looked up to make eye contact.

 

“Oh… about that.” 

 

Mina noticed Eunbi reactively rub her thumb over the finger that, until this morning, wore a couple ring. 

 

She said plainly, “I won’t be wearing that ring anymore.” 

 

Mina on her cheek.  “Sorry if I spoiled your morning.”

 

“It was already ty anyway.” Eunbi grinned. “On the bright side, I’m not the one having to wake up Nayeon. Have fun taking her to school.” 

 

Mina shook her head disapprovingly. “She really ought to drive herself. What senior college student still can’t wake up on time for morning classes?”

 

Eunbi replied, “You tell me you’re her girlfriend.” 

 

“You’re her best friend!” 

 

Eunbi got up to her feet and was ready to leave.

 

“Keys, purse, phone?”

 

“Mhm.” Eunbi rolled her eyes with an amused smile. Even though she was two years older than Mina, that didn’t stop the other girl from acting like her mother.

 

“Sorry bad habit,” Mina replied. “Ahh, and of course this.” She handed Eunbi her coffee mug.

 

“Thank you,” Eunbi said as she walked her way to the door. 

 

“Have a good first day!” Mina waved.

 

“I won’t, but thanks anyway.” 

 

As Eunbi left the apartment, a powerful gust of air filled the hallway.

 

Mina’s hair flew onto her face and blinded her. She struggled to get the door shut, but succeeded after ramming her shoulder into the door.  

 

Resting her back on the wall now, she blew her bangs. Time to get to work.

 

Moving through the cramped corridor of the two-bedroom apartment and tip-toeing into the correct bedroom—-she is unamused by a certain slumbering beauty. 

 

“Nayeon, wake up.” She shrugged the girl’s shoulder with her chilly hand. 

 

No response.

 

Waking up anesthetized patients was easier than waking up Nayeon this early. Collecting urine samples or talking to dementia patients would’ve been preferable. 

 

“Nayeon, wake up. You’re gonna be late for your morning class.” 

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“Nayeon.” She said again. 

 

“Mhmm not yet, I’m having a pleasant dream about Mina and me on a canoe date,” Nayeon mumbled. She turned to face the other way—hoping to catch a few more minutes of shut-eye.

 

Mina hovered over Nayeon’s face. Her long red hair brushed against the laid girl’s cheek.

 

She whispered into Nayeon’s ear, “well, you better wake up before I push you off that canoe.”

 

“Hmm? Wait-Mina?” Nayeon blinked in surprise. She sat up alarmed. One side of her shirt was loosely hanging from her shoulder. She shivered from the cold air creeping up her skin.

 

“Ah, she finally wakes up,” Mina said. 

 

Realizing that it was indeed her girlfriend, Mina. Nayeon reached out for a hug. 

 

The former swiftly evaded the massive bear-sized hands closing in on her as she stepped away from the bed.

 

“Minari,” Nayeon protested as she flung her arms out again.

 

“Do not Minari me. Get ready for class. I’m dropping you off today.”

 

“Why so? Where’s Eunbi?” Nayeon said in between yawns. She always depended on her roommate/best friend Eunbi to work as a human alarm clock for her. 

 

“Her internship starts today, remember?” Mina explained as she went through Nayeon’s closet. Her tongue stuck out the middle of her lips as she planned an outfit for her girlfriend to wear. Occasionally, she would notice a shirt or a hoodie that was hers and threw them onto the bed, wanting them back.

 

“You have a business presentation today,” Mina thought out loud. She picked out a cute dress shirt and a black blazer. 

 

Satisfied with her choice, she hummed and turned to look at Nayeon.

 

Nayeon grinned and stared at Mina, showing her cute set of bunny teeth.

 

“What?” Mina teasingly raised her eyebrow. She was burnt, tired, and fatigued. But somehow, seeing Nayeon’s face made her less tired. Mina took it back. She would rather be here than anywhere else.

 

“I can get used to this,” Nayeon said coolly. She rested her hands behind her head and looked as if she was the queen of the world.

 

“Well, don’t.”

 

Nayeon kicked the blanket off her and sat on the edge of the bed next to Mina—who was busy laying out her outfit. 

 

“Don’t I get a good morning kiss?” She teased. The older girl pointed a finger to her lips and gave a satisfied laugh after Mina side glared at her . 

 

 “No, your breath stinks,” Mina responded calmly, causing Nayeon to pout and look away.

 

“Please, the only smelly breath I know is that brat, Kim Chaewon.” Nayeon rolled her eyes. She turned back to face Mina, “Yah, do you think Eunbi and Chaewon are done fighting?”

 

Before Mina could reply, Nayeon continued as if thinking out loud, “It’s been at least a month now of them constantly arguing over nothing. Aren’t they tired of it yet? I wish those two would stop fighting and be a good couple. That way the entire universe will return to peace and-” 

 

“They broke up!” Mina interjected. 

 

Nayeon held an uncaring expression. “They broke up last week as well… and half a month before… and again two months ago.”

 

Mina sat down next to Nayeon. She let out a sigh, “No, I think they are breaking up for good this time.” 

 

“What makes this time any different?” 

 

“Eunbi wasn’t wearing their couple ring this morning” 

 

“Oh….” Nayeon’s face turned bleak. 

 

Not once in Eunbi’s past break ups with Chaewon had she resorted to that. That ring was almost a religious item to the other girl. From what she knew, Eunbi had never taken the ring off over the year and a half she dated Chaewon. Even when she got rashes from being allergic to the metal.

 

“This is gonna make things a whole lotta awkward.” Nayeon scratched the back of her hair. 

 

Both Eunbi and Chaewon were close members in their tightly knitted friend group, aka their lunch table on campus.  

 

“It may be a blessing in disguise tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter